Skip to main content

Topic: Ub3rgames - Status (Read 10246 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Ub3rgames - Status
Reply #315
It's almost unfathomable it could come to this, in this way, and much could be said - but really, what's the point. Darkfall has always had an air of surrealism to it, in almost all regards, so in a way this is just more par for the course.

For what little it's worth, I sincerely wish you guys the best in turning this around and salvaging your dream and years of hard work.

Reply #316
Game is pretty much dead unless they patch and bring us content. I won't pay a sub to keep developers whom don't improve the game from dying. If I have to i'll just wait until the next batch of games come out in a year or so.

Reply #317
So let gets this straight, they are only talking to the community because @Xipos stumbled upon something, then insinuate if he hadn't there might not be a problem.

I am curious as to what depth of a graphics overhaul they are going for?

Reply #318
This entire incident has greatly undermined my already low opinion of Ub3r's professionalism.
I still have hope, but it is a rapidly diminishingly flame far in the distance.

• SomeBK
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #319
So let gets this straight, they are only talking to the community because @Xipos stumbled upon something, then insinuate if he hadn't there might not be a problem.

Sort of. They couldn't care less to talk to the community until xipos found out their business issues.

Their first post stated they didn't know wtf was going on and this was the first time they heard of this.

Their second post admitted they knew about the debt but chose to pay employees (rightfully so) instead.

I don't know how the "debt system" works outside of the US but when you borrow money or open a tab you're expected to pay it before it goes into collections.

Their third or fourth post proved they not only knew about the debt but they had been on the phone with either the debt collectors or a company working on their behalf regarding the debt therefore making their initial announcement sound more like "This is our first time gaining knowledge that you now know about this so let us do some digging and compare how much you know with how much we are willing to disclose while we figure out the best way to break this all down to you guys"

It actually sounds to me like the best course of action is to pay an attorney a fee to start whatever the equivalent of chapter 11 bankruptcy is since they're an LLC and just go from there. Their name will obviously change but AV and them can figure all that shit out later. They may be able to do this even while still keeping the servers up
  • Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 04:27:37 pm by SomeBK
Fair enough ill be there, Actually can we do it Thurs
(ive been lugging boxes of books all morning from a collection I bought and a little beat)

Reply #320
What annoys me more than anything about all this, is why the fuck were you not charging subscriptions since LAUNCH?

Even at a 75% discount while you got things straight would still have been some money. Well, I WAS lurking to see if this game ever fulfilled it's potential, but it aint looking good now is it!

Reply #321
If they had charged subs for a very incomplete product, it would have flopped.

The game needs the Territory Control mechanisms in place that were promised for launch, before the game justifies subs.  Otherwise it's Failed DarkfallTake Four.

That being said, I think they MIGHT be able to get away with subs in the game's current state, if they implemented Gane Time Tokens at the same time.
  • Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 06:10:39 pm by Rimamok

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #322
If they start subs, the "active" number of accounts goes from 2k+ (anybody who ever bought the game ever), to like 4-600.
All the crafting alts, that used to be real players but gave away their log in info because why not, are going to go away.
Leaving some clans in a position where they have no crafters at all.

Then there's also people that bought a 2nd account during indev, but dont really feel like paying subscription (for 2 acc's, or even 1), who will also stop being viable alts.

The current economy (if you can call it that) requires alts to functions.
They cant slap them all behind a pay-wall and expect this game to continue working.

Reply #323
@Nataz @Asdrael
Once the judgement is gone through, a lot of options are shut off, but the procedure is extremely slow, especially in case of an appeal.
We can obtain a full authorization of operation during that process and we've read of simple cases lasting months to years.
But again, too soon to tell how it will turn out.

However accepting the liquidation and carrying on under a different tag would be seen as tax/debt evasion. Not really an option.
Maybe for the employees, but Marc would be out for sure.

@memes @Rimamok @IsilithTehroth @Wyverex
Our previous answer was more of a matter of "what is worse/more urgent for the NPE".
In our case, we believe a bit of hand holding via self generating goals will help the NPE the most.

Ideally we should redo/expand the tutorial and add many more features.
An help button in game could direct to a website, like it used to. A "getting started" page would maybe alleviate these issues a bit.

@Bloodtest
Unfortunately, we cannot give any ETA on that. More racial stuff will be worked on after the bindstone quest patch.
As for 2.2, it is mostly a patch to address frequent community grievances.
It won't be breaking much new ground, but it should hopefully please many.

@hecate355 @SomeBK
From what we could gather as to why there is no need for confirmation of reception is that there are so many companies being created and completely disappearing that they would never solve cases if they had to wait.
We doubt we have a case on that one, as it is assumed it is our own fault for not knowing.

@allibobba
We have never been only 2. Even at the very start we were 3 doing full time work.
We reached 8 employees at some point, then went down to 6, 4 of those being devs.

It was not a one month vacation, but a rotation, and it was sorely needed.
Remember we've been running the server since summer 2016. We have people here who had not taken a day off in 2+ years with 60h+ weeks.
It was either that, or burning out before what was supposed to be a big push.

@JagoTadali @SomeBK
Please read again. What we were not aware of was the liquidation procedure.
There would have been a problem regardless, perhaps even worse, because we would not have been made aware until too late.

@Rigan @Rimamok @Nuyur
We have been trying to gain good will from a part of the population we, in hindsight, had no hope of changing the perception.
It was a mistake, and a reaction to a vocal minority. The past few months has taught us that.
We cannot fight the beliefs of the 1%. Best just to power through for the sake of the 99%.

The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

Reply #324
If they start subs, the "active" number of accounts goes from 2k+ (anybody who ever bought the game ever), to like 4-600.
All the crafting alts, that used to be real players but gave away their log in info because why not, are going to go away.
Leaving some clans in a position where they have no crafters at all.

Then there's also people that bought a 2nd account during indev, but dont really feel like paying subscription (for 2 acc's, or even 1), who will also stop being viable alts.

The current economy (if you can call it that) requires alts to functions.
They cant slap them all behind a pay-wall and expect this game to continue working.

I proposed the very same thing, waited with hope high for billing time to let all this air out of the game, to actually have a bloody demand after anything as pretty much 100% pve/crafter/trader. Because i cant compete with bot army. But it never came to pass, this whole thing is so fucking idiotic, now im gone, feel free to introduce sub to loose alts AND actual crafters. fat lot good will it do.

Edit: some angry shit removed, because this isnt worth to get upset over, way past that.
  • Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 10:01:26 pm by hecate355

Reply #325
@memes @Rimamok
Regarding a tutorial, a wiki page on the help button would be great and something we had in mind.
However that's not where the drop off is. Usually, people are confused in any MMO and are accepting of that, even enjoying the discovery.
The biggest drop off we've observed is once they understand and get to the "Now what?" step.
Hence champions, bindstone quests and then racial wars related content.
I would say that you are kidding yourself quite a bit if you don't take responsibility for any recent drop offs. I don't care if you do it public or not, but please know that you guys have to some extend fucked this up. I'm not saying anything that invalidates your previous work, I'm not saying whether the game will live or die, I'm not saying what kind of company you are. I am however saying that I'm quite disappointing with the lack of communication. I picked ND over RoA cause I believed you guys seemed to be more professional, I don't really feel like that any more.

It is hard for ME (and I'm quite sure others) to respect you as a game studio cause you are acting so contra-productive, I have a real hard time with illogical behavior from people that are doing something other people are "dependent" on (read invest time/money/something, providing a service that you use, supposed to lead). You claim you want ND to be great and stay within your vision, you want to implement new features, you want player base to grow, you have this and that plan, Etc, etc. You are in other words saying a lot of stuff that sounds good and that is supposed to inspire. You say that you are here to stay and that you will not give up and that you are working so hard to create a game that will succeeded and that will be what DFO should have been. I even seem to remember you saying "our developers don't go enough to have [bla bla bla]" somewhere.

So here comes what really pisses me off. Are you guys really that ignorant to not realize that one of the things that is most beneficial to the game and us as players per the time you put in as a studio is to keep SOME lines of communication open?  What I mean here by some is at least more than 0 posts in almost 1.5 months, how about 1 post per week? How about it not even being a post, but a 140 char tweet that really should not put a strain on anyone with fingers to type. Now I'm kind of a dim wit on this twitter shit so I couldn't make it 140, but here is 180 for you for next time: "Oh shit, nice to finally be out of the office! I can finally smoke my day-time weed and work with my pet AI-project. Vacation=forum inactivity, appreciate your understanding guys!". Even a pic of your dog on the forum would probably calm people a bit, but I understand that might be an invasion of privacy, just putting it out as an example of how little is required.

That line above would have saved you quite a few players. I have no numbers or proof so I am not stating it as fact whether if its 2 or 50, but I know that every player counts, especially at this stage. Are you seriously not aware that this is required for a game in-dev with this kind of history? You also had a great start there by having the first post from your vacation showing lack of awareness regarding litigation problems, but I'm actually not really all upset with that, I'm upset with that it is what had to be done to get you out of the shrubs. It might not have been, it might just have been timing that made you post, but it looks like to get you guys to post something on the forum, it requires a lawsuit that the forum is aware of. I'm quite sure in what I believe regarding timing/lawsuit to get you to post, but I will leave that out for now. But please, stop making yourself look bad, cause you make ND look bad. Seriously. If you posted 150-300 chars, once every/every-2 week during your vacation, your initial post after the silence would have given people a lot better impression.

I understand that you must feel a lot of pressure when thinking about the forum and posting something. I'd imagine that it is tied to a little bit of anxiety for various reasons that you might or might not be able to identify. I imagine that it feels like I feel when I want to work but every 15 mins I need to respond to a mail, after that mail, which from the beginning takes horribly long time to actually write, I loose time because of getting back to the place I. This also ruins any chance of achieving some kind of flow. I imagine that it is quite horrible coming back to the forum when you've had such a long period of inactivity, much like being sick for 1-2 weeks and just feeling how much you are getting backed up at work, especially with the communication aspect of it. There is a lot of other shit that I feel for you guys and I'm sorry and I can understand the horrible situation you might feel that you are in at times.

@Ub3rgames
What I'm saying next comes from a guy that works as a software developer 50-80h/week, that has worked with some limit amount of game/server programming, that has ran and developed multiple UO-free shards, that hates to be a team lead, that hates email and communication, that is battling manic periods multiple times a month, long depressive periods up to 4-8 times a year and that quite often get anxiety when I forgot to take my meds for my bipolar disorder. I've also had some quite a bit more serious shit in my life not related to funding or dead-lines. So here it is: Shape the fuck up! Don't think about it, just look at whats straight in-front of you and it!. My opinion, which might or might not be worth anything, is that shaping up should begin with studio to community communications. Put a cap on the time, let us know of the cap, and we can take solace in that you are answering as much as you can in that time.

I can relate to your behavior and possible feelings that might be the reason for it. There has been weeks on and off where I haven't had the energy to be able to pick up my phone to check calls, sms or mails. But you know what I do? After a few days, I pick up the phone, let everyone know I'm alive but a bit down so that I will be unreachable for a few more days, then I let the phone go again. I make sure the people in my life aren't worried more than they have to be and I do my very best to pick myself up as soon as possible. I can relate to your issues, I can however not ignore the fact that you are, aware or not, acting contra-productive to this games success due to the communication channel. I'm actually hoping that the lack of communication comes from some of the horrible personal/internal shit I mentioned, and not from the fact that you've done a cost/benefit analysis and come to the conclusion that putting 1h/week on short status updates is not worth loosing 1h development time.

And yeah if you @Ub3rgames, or anyone else for that manner, happen to respond to this post with a "[blabla] vacation [blabla] no communication is all good [blabla im stupid blabla]" the I'll go into detail why that is a bullshit excuse, I would think it better for the game not to though so here is a too long/don't write;
  • I have not yet a developer that hasn't answered some of his emails during a 1 month period or written a post on at least some forum.
  • I have NEVER seen company owners in tech companies work less than their employees in small scale companies.
  • Most developers/owners are comfortable with somewhat strange hours, though there are some that are very few strict with it.
  • Writing for 1h per week keeps players from leaving, less would be OK too as its better than nothing for 1.5 months.
  • A cost/benefit analysis assuming a small amount of writing time with strict informative form of communication with the community can only point one way. There is nothing better that you possibly can invest your time in right now. If there is, please give an example of the feature the estimate/time it took to implement. If you think there is, then I am sad to say that this shit is leaking.

Fuck I hate typing and any kind of communication and I hate myself for actually writing them anyways. I hope you see this post for what it is even if it is a hell to read. It is constructive criticism on a very important but easy to fix issue. It is acknowledging that I (and hopefully we) understand that the work situation for you guys might not be great at all times but we understand it cause we are all humans with ups and downs. It is a small, but gentle, boot create by "cut the bullshit" that is made of frustration and illogical actions taken.

Anyways,
PZ

Reply #326
@memes @Rimamok
Regarding a tutorial, a wiki page on the help button would be great and something we had in mind.
However that's not where the drop off is. Usually, people are confused in any MMO and are accepting of that, even enjoying the discovery.
The biggest drop off we've observed is once they understand and get to the "Now what?" step.
Hence champions, bindstone quests and then racial wars related content.
I would say that you are kidding yourself quite a bit if you don't take responsibility for any recent drop offs. I don't care if you do it public or not, but please know that you guys have to some extend fucked this up. I'm not saying anything that invalidates your previous work, I'm not saying whether the game will live or die, I'm not saying what kind of company you are. I am however saying that I'm quite disappointing with the lack of communication. I picked ND over RoA cause I believed you guys seemed to be more professional, I don't really feel like that any more.

It is hard for ME (and I'm quite sure others) to respect you as a game studio cause you are acting so contra-productive, I have a real hard time with illogical behavior from people that are doing something other people are "dependent" on (read invest time/money/something, providing a service that you use, supposed to lead). You claim you want ND to be great and stay within your vision, you want to implement new features, you want player base to grow, you have this and that plan, Etc, etc. You are in other words saying a lot of stuff that sounds good and that is supposed to inspire. You say that you are here to stay and that you will not give up and that you are working so hard to create a game that will succeeded and that will be what DFO should have been. I even seem to remember you saying "our developers don't go enough to have [bla bla bla]" somewhere.

So here comes what really pisses me off. Are you guys really that ignorant to not realize that one of the things that is most beneficial to the game and us as players per the time you put in as a studio is to keep SOME lines of communication open?  What I mean here by some is at least more than 0 posts in almost 1.5 months, how about 1 post per week? How about it not even being a post, but a 140 char tweet that really should not put a strain on anyone with fingers to type. Now I'm kind of a dim wit on this twitter shit so I couldn't make it 140, but here is 180 for you for next time: "Oh shit, nice to finally be out of the office! I can finally smoke my day-time weed and work with my pet AI-project. Vacation=forum inactivity, appreciate your understanding guys!". Even a pic of your dog on the forum would probably calm people a bit, but I understand that might be an invasion of privacy, just putting it out as an example of how little is required.

That line above would have saved you quite a few players. I have no numbers or proof so I am not stating it as fact whether if its 2 or 50, but I know that every player counts, especially at this stage. Are you seriously not aware that this is required for a game in-dev with this kind of history? You also had a great start there by having the first post from your vacation showing lack of awareness regarding litigation problems, but I'm actually not really all upset with that, I'm upset with that it is what had to be done to get you out of the shrubs. It might not have been, it might just have been timing that made you post, but it looks like to get you guys to post something on the forum, it requires a lawsuit that the forum is aware of. I'm quite sure in what I believe regarding timing/lawsuit to get you to post, but I will leave that out for now. But please, stop making yourself look bad, cause you make ND look bad. Seriously. If you posted 150-300 chars, once every/every-2 week during your vacation, your initial post after the silence would have given people a lot better impression.

I understand that you must feel a lot of pressure when thinking about the forum and posting something. I'd imagine that it is tied to a little bit of anxiety for various reasons that you might or might not be able to identify. I imagine that it feels like I feel when I want to work but every 15 mins I need to respond to a mail, after that mail, which from the beginning takes horribly long time to actually write, I loose time because of getting back to the place I. This also ruins any chance of achieving some kind of flow. I imagine that it is quite horrible coming back to the forum when you've had such a long period of inactivity, much like being sick for 1-2 weeks and just feeling how much you are getting backed up at work, especially with the communication aspect of it. There is a lot of other shit that I feel for you guys and I'm sorry and I can understand the horrible situation you might feel that you are in at times.

@Ub3rgames
What I'm saying next comes from a guy that works as a software developer 50-80h/week, that has worked with some limit amount of game/server programming, that has ran and developed multiple UO-free shards, that hates to be a team lead, that hates email and communication, that is battling manic periods multiple times a month, long depressive periods up to 4-8 times a year and that quite often get anxiety when I forgot to take my meds for my bipolar disorder. I've also had some quite a bit more serious shit in my life not related to funding or dead-lines. So here it is: Shape the fuck up! Don't think about it, just look at whats straight in-front of you and it!. My opinion, which might or might not be worth anything, is that shaping up should begin with studio to community communications. Put a cap on the time, let us know of the cap, and we can take solace in that you are answering as much as you can in that time.

I can relate to your behavior and possible feelings that might be the reason for it. There has been weeks on and off where I haven't had the energy to be able to pick up my phone to check calls, sms or mails. But you know what I do? After a few days, I pick up the phone, let everyone know I'm alive but a bit down so that I will be unreachable for a few more days, then I let the phone go again. I make sure the people in my life aren't worried more than they have to be and I do my very best to pick myself up as soon as possible. I can relate to your issues, I can however not ignore the fact that you are, aware or not, acting contra-productive to this games success due to the communication channel. I'm actually hoping that the lack of communication comes from some of the horrible personal/internal shit I mentioned, and not from the fact that you've done a cost/benefit analysis and come to the conclusion that putting 1h/week on short status updates is not worth loosing 1h development time.

And yeah if you @Ub3rgames, or anyone else for that manner, happen to respond to this post with a "[blabla] vacation [blabla] no communication is all good [blabla im stupid blabla]" the I'll go into detail why that is a bullshit excuse, I would think it better for the game not to though so here is a too long/don't write;
  • I have not yet a developer that hasn't answered some of his emails during a 1 month period or written a post on at least some forum.
  • I have NEVER seen company owners in tech companies work less than their employees in small scale companies.
  • Most developers/owners are comfortable with somewhat strange hours, though there are some that are very few strict with it.
  • Writing for 1h per week keeps players from leaving, less would be OK too as its better than nothing for 1.5 months.
  • A cost/benefit analysis assuming a small amount of writing time with strict informative form of communication with the community can only point one way. There is nothing better that you possibly can invest your time in right now. If there is, please give an example of the feature the estimate/time it took to implement. If you think there is, then I am sad to say that this shit is leaking.

Fuck I hate typing and any kind of communication and I hate myself for actually writing them anyways. I hope you see this post for what it is even if it is a hell to read. It is constructive criticism on a very important but easy to fix issue. It is acknowledging that I (and hopefully we) understand that the work situation for you guys might not be great at all times but we understand it cause we are all humans with ups and downs. It is a small, but gentle, boot create by "cut the bullshit" that is made of frustration and illogical actions taken.

Anyways,
PZ
Good write up, but I believe you are wasting your time.
Ub3r have shown their true colors.

Reply #327
What makaveli said...

People asked for a "we're still here, doing stuff" post and Ub3rgames delivers a "This took us a full man day to write, stupid community" post. This anti social element continues and hasn't changed. How you want to be successful when you make it hard for us to be successful? When you have a legal problem you go to a lawyer. For some reason you don't think that you have a problem here, or that you don't need guidance. I can tell you that there is a problem, and you do need guidance - but you continue to disregard it. Ultimately, we have to run with that, and rightfully some people get fed up of it. Myself included.

I will play the game, but my support for Ub3rgames is bordering apathetic and is unlikely to improve.

Reply #328
@Ub3rgames  just patch in the bindstone quests, a newbie tutorial wont help jack shit since players are stupid and will ask global chat channels for help any the veterans mostly will help them learn this AIDS filled game.

People in business run from debt all the time, i do it with my multiple small businesses all the time, so dont be a good guy be a profit making company guy and save your game, make profit first and care about others later and pray to God daily too, because someone out there needs to hear your Bullshit when your making alot of money.

And to the unrealistic users here who are flaming mad because Ub3rgames with-held information as dangerous as this, really think the world revolves around them please, you aint been charged a monthly fee for a 3/4 of a year already, Don't expect a company to tell you everything. This is the DO or DIE peroid last push @Ub3rgames come out alive and shooting.
  • Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 07:57:42 pm by Ub3rgames
Ingame names
New Dawn: Kenshiro Ryu
Dragon Empire SG
Help defend the Humanlands! Join us!
Are you the Dragon Hero of Legends?

Reply #329
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I mean I could write a book highlighting all the lies and contradictions of your words vs actions from the last 3 years but I don't care enough anymore

You guys are joke

Bye
dodgy bastard