Skip to main content

Topic: Earthquake is still a broken spell (Read 284 times) previous topic - next topic

Earthquake is still a broken spell
I wonder if there is someone who can disagree with me (and show an example) but i think earthquake as a signature spell has a value of 0. Its rework is not good at all, the proof is, i never see it used.

We expect earthquake to be tricky to use but with a high pay off as a disrupting tool. It does more damage than field aoes, has a similar area, but requires the caster to be in the thick of it.

Let's consider the theory :
     1- Earthquake is a channeled spell, wich means you do nothing else while you maintain it to damage yourself and your surroundings
-> 2- damage limited to surroundings, which means that as a mage you have to use it close to your targets (WTF !)
-> 3 - as a mage, you have low protections against the attacks of those close to you (your target) who will retaliate with far more brutality thant your little ticks (13 damage with a powerful staff, earth 100 intensify 80+, spell earthquake 80+)
-> 4 - if you want more protection, your damage will drop drastically because of your encumbrance, so you will just be a clown wandering among your enemies
-> 5 - While you channel and try to stick near your enemies but stay out of theyr melee range (often the case), you're stuck with a first person view which is the worst point of view ever for this kind of situation, when your opponents (melee) will be 3rd person view.

Back to the quote, Ub3rgames said they balanced the damage considering other AOE fields, with daamge ticks. But those other aoe are NOT channeled. Once theses spells are launched, the damage is almost guaranteed and you can shoot with something else. So the damage to consider for balance is the damage from each ticks + some other spell damage during the same duration + the self damage which reduces the gap of damage that you do between your target(s) and yourself.

"We expect earthquake to be tricky to use but with a high pay off as a disrupting tool" Ub3rgames, seriously, what is disrupting in this tool ? Enemies can laugh at you when slashing your back while you move in the middle of them, i don't call that disrupting : they can still use their both hands for mouse and keyboard while laughing.
I see no bump, no visual hinderance, nothing with this spell that can be disrupting.

Before any reader asks : yes, i had hope with this spell and earth school, that was when the announcement with necromancy was done (like a few days after the launch), i stopped training necromancy when i 've read the changes to come (and now real) about damage of this school. I was sure it would make necromancy an average school. I think i was right. Earth is an average school too and of course i changed my title another time (thanks to combat title book btw)

My opinion, above the precise case of the Earthquake spell, is that the work to have different but balanced schools of magic is still to be done.
It's a pity that in facts, now, there are only 2 or 3 good offensive schools to pick : Air , Arcane and maybe Fire.
if not, you better have spellchanting or people will tell you to stop play mage.
The other schools are not worth to be picked as title, their useful spells don't require it.

There is no point in diversity if you can choose between a bike, a scooter and a motorbike for a race. You have to choose the motorbike, or you're screwed.
In case you ask yourself why ashes are the main reagent for arcane magic : arcane magic is especially efficient against undead monsters.
So it's Ash vs Evil Dead !

• SomeBK
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Earthquake is still a broken spell
Reply #1
What if they made it so it did zero damage to the caster but after you stop casting it, it gets put on as long of a cooldown as wof. Might make it actually desireable
Fair enough ill be there, Actually can we do it Thurs
(ive been lugging boxes of books all morning from a collection I bought and a little beat)

Reply #2
Damage to the caster is only a minor issue.
It does to little at too high a cost: high mana drain + some self damage + can't do anything else.

On top of that, same as Healing Chant, it can be very buggy and not apply at all on some surfaces.
Wyverex Erisian, SG of Scrubs

Still a member of SaltyBitches™ Club

Reply #3
add screenshake back to earthquake it will instantly become more distruptive :D
Thsstsshs Shthss

Reply #4
add screenshake back to earthquake it will instantly become more distruptive :D
Screen shake?  How about disabling sprint. 

• wileorn
  • [*]
Reply #5
Ive wondered similar things about earthquake.  I'd love to see it become viable in some way as the OP stated, I never see it used.

Reply #6
Make earthquake also reduce the effectiveness of buildings that it affects. Not cumulative.

- Towers zap at double interval (half dps) while under the effect.
- Banks are not accessible, or you have to channel to access the bank, like detaching mount.
- Buildings that give protection or regen buffs are disabled while under the effect.

Also could half mount speed while under the effect, could be useful in groups. (Yeah, I know, MAGEFALL)

PS: You'll run out of mana fast, so it does not replace siege mechanics.
  • Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 10:12:35 am by UmberLee

• memes
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
-> 2- damage limited to surroundings, which means that as a mage you have to use it close to your targets (WTF !)
-> 3 - as a mage, you have low protections against the attacks of those close to you (your target) who will retaliate with far more brutality thant your little ticks (13 damage with a powerful staff, earth 100 intensify 80+, spell earthquake 80+)
-> 4 - if you want more protection, your damage will drop drastically because of your encumbrance, so you will just be a clown wandering among your enemies

boneset has same protections as leather armor u fucking retard

"WAHH MAGES DONT HAVE DRAGONSET PROTECTIONS, UNPLAYABLE"

use stoneskin and/or earth shield

"WAHH CANT USE STONESKIN I RUN OUT OF MANA" try playing melee-archer against air/water mages, u run out of stamina in about 5 seconds no matter what you do

its 100% noskill wof/air/water mage meta, dont cry if ur a mage

Reply #8
Earthquake will be 100 this weekend. New meta incoming. This thread knows nothing
-SG of Garbage Men (Wolf/Ork)
Always recruiting new and old players.

Reply #9
The main issue with Earthquake is that it's not Wall of Force.

It's a pretty deadly flaw.