Skip to main content

Topic: Resource Gold Sink (Read 259 times) previous topic - next topic

Resource Gold Sink
All agree that the game needs more Gold Sinks.
I propose that all base mats, Iron ore, Timber, Leather, Cloth and Stone be added to
NPC Vendors.  Ub3r has already stated that they are considering doing this.

Price for mats should be 50 gp ea, for all 5 types.  This is a bit higher than current
Market prices, as to allow for Harvesters to undercut NPC prices and still make a
reasonable profit.

Note, only Iron ore and Timber should be sold in this way, no rare ore/Ingots or Wood
to keep the Laborer Title still relevant.

This will add a much needed Gold Sink as well as insure base material is always available
to crafters, though at a moderately higher price.

As an added Gold Sink, allow an NPC Vendor to convert Iron Ore into Ingots and Timber
into Wood for a Modest charge, say, 10 gp per 5 to 2 convert.

Just a thought.

• mrW
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Resource Gold Sink
Reply #1
Wouldn't that at the same time cause gold inflation (i.e. people rising prices to only undercut vendor prices by 10-20%?) Otherwise, this just allows to convert gold into possibly infinite  amount of mats, without the need to spend time actually gathering?

"Our title system is an expansion of the titles in the same spirit than the destroyer title. These will NOT be classes and will be completely optional."

Reply #2
How the fuck is this a gold sink?

Gold sink would be to cost refinement of raw materials for example, 50g each mat. That would be a gold sink.
IGN: "Eilis Traee"
However, you have to take into account why we are introducing local banking.
In New Dawn, its main purpose is to be a convenience feature.
"Things just got worse."

Reply #3
It is a Gold Sink because it removes Gold from the game in exchange for
material.

Currently, there are many ways gold is added to the game, but few ways
where its is permanently removed, making gold less and less valuable as
time goes on as players accumulate sizable amounts with few uses.

A player selling goods to another player only moves the gold from one
bank to another.  But if Markets are empty of the base mats, a player will
have the option of buying them from an NPC Vendor and removing gold
from the game thus helping to keep its value as the trading standard.

And a "Conversion fee" would also be a good Gold Sink, but should not be
too high or noone will use it.
  • Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 08:20:44 pm by Ktorr

Reply #4
I think your wood cost at 50 is too low since I rarely see it offered for less, but otherwise I dont see a problem.

edit: nvm you said timber at 50.
  • Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 08:17:27 pm by Mycke

• gosti
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5

Gold sink would be to cost refinement of raw materials for example, 50g each mat. That would be a gold sink.

Are regs at vendors gold sink?

Reply #6

Exactly. Converting from gold to mats (even at a "higher than current market value") wouldn't be a direct sink and would also unnecessarily affect other parts in the economy. While there might be positives, there would be negatives too.

Ability to speed up the process at the cost of gold would come a long way. Allow paying gold for 50% reduced crafting time (i.e. via upgraded smelting station in player cities).

Okay you guys are true demonstrations of 'clueless' if it takes gold from the players out of the game it is a gold sink and any other ridiculous contrived thoughts on why it isnt, is just you demonstrate how unclear on the concepts you are.

Reply #7
I say force the gold sink, and make those who afk farm either sell the raw mats or have the gold to convert them.

- Remove conversion of mats by player character, just put it on the smithy and be done by some time. Why stay there with player character, to promote altfall or something?
- Have conversion cost gold. Let's say for example 50g for 5 timber to 2 wood and so on.

Now you can have your alts farm, but half of it you will sell for gold, or you can farm the gold yourself. This is how you boost economy, not by giving useless options.

I never ever had bought any reagents from NPC since launch. Never. Is that a gold sink? For some maybe, for me, not at all, just a possibility.

And yeah, I know it's a theoretical gold sink what you suggested, but what I ment was, it would never work.

IGN: "Eilis Traee"
However, you have to take into account why we are introducing local banking.
In New Dawn, its main purpose is to be a convenience feature.
"Things just got worse."

Reply #8

- Have conversion cost gold. Let's say for example 50g for 5 timber to 2 wood and so on.

Da fuk?

I have a real hard time taking you seriously....

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
His arguement is sound though.
NPC's sell regs, nobody ever buys them because no need.
NPC's could sell basic materials, if nobody ever buys them there's still no gold leaving the system.

Having cost on conversion (ammount up for tweaking ofc) would FORCE gold out of the game, because you NEED to.

Reply #10

NPC's sell regs, nobody ever buys them because no need.

Can you support this with evidence or is this just more of your made up facts?

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
I have never bought regs from the vendor.
Our internal market trades reagents so nobody in TTD ever bought regs.

Id go on, but clearly i just dont play the game enough

You know what, ill just stop posting my view on things because clearly its not helpfull
  • Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 10:36:08 pm by Nuyur

Reply #12
Good idea, plently of people would convert their gold to mats instead of harvestig on an alt for hours. I would buy my timber for sure. Iron not so much since mines give crazy amounts of that but not everyone has access to a mine.

Btw i buy a lot of reagents. For example in hamlets or npc cities where i am farming for some time and dont have that much stuff. I usually dont carry 5k reagnets on me when i move further away from my main bank.

Reply #13
every spell cast costs 5 gold from ur global account lolol

• memes
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
tldr "i want to convert the gold i get from my 50 alts at sea villages into materials"

economy will never work with altfall