Skip to main content

Topic: New player seeking info. (Read 378 times) previous topic - next topic

New player seeking info.
How are the politics and have there been any greater alliances created, and how often do ppl run "all races" guilds ?

Second question: Since the magic update, it seems that the wiki is not updated properly since it mentions several "schools" that doesnt seem to exist nowdays, etc..  anyone got a good link with updated info regarding magic leveling school interaction etc.. ?

Thirdly, is it still not worth it running a sword and board character(from my limited experiance I get eaten by goblin shamans even if wearing scale..) Archery is piss easy and magic is soso., and is the 10% runspeed of the Mahirim "significant" enough that it matters ?

Re: New player seeking info.
Reply #1
Someone else will answer the rest of your questions, for now:

You start with a bolt of each school unlocked. You unlock spells as your school levels (no need to visit Mage NPC anymore to buy spells). You also start with Cantrips (magical utilities like Unburden, Begone, Heal Mount, etc) maxed, and with Transfers maxed (they are in "Regeneration").
Wyverex Erisian, SG of Scrubs

Still a member of SaltyBitches™ Club

Reply #2
Ill tackle this...

1. Yes there have been some greater alliances but mainly for specific wars and then they break up. There are only a few arac clans right now, most are racial, but because they havent added the next layer of racial enforcement mechanics these racial clans will ally non racial.

2.  Unfortunately no, greater became infliction and lessor became raw and spells were moved around a bit but no one has outlined it anywhere im aware of.

3. Actually they have done a good job with make more wepaons viable with 1h and shield being a good build now for non melee mains in that its a great defensive weapon that can out dps 2h toe to toe but because of range and arc arent as good for chase down melee. So if you are mainly archer or mage 1h and shield is great, if you are a 50/50 melee archer its still viable but I think goes against its intended purpose too much. The run speed seems to get the most value from strafing, that extra side to side speed can be pretty useful.

Reply #3
So regarding magic..   the schools have little to no interaction with eachother nowdays ? But you may want several diffrent school at 75+ or 50 for various utility spells ?   Am I getting that correct ?

Oh.. and is heavy armour worth it at all.. or shall I just go bonearmour like everyone else ? =)
  • Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 10:00:56 pm by Nkari

Reply #4
Armors now affect your character much more than before.

There's 4 armor categories:
* metal - kinda the defensive option for melee/fighters (good protections and increase your HP regen)
* leather - kinda the berzerker option for fighters & archers (medium protections, increase to stam regen, increase to attack speed and damage with both melee and archery)
* bone - the defensive mage option (medium protections, increase to spell casting and mana regen)
* robe - offensive mage option (low protections, increase to spell casting and big increase to mana regen)

Not all armor options are very balanced or good for all situations.

Reply #5
The old wiki is likely more out of date than the new Community Wiki (link below).  However, Ub3r has abandoned the forums, so unfortunately we can't update the sticky.

https://darkfallnewdawn.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page

Reply #6
So regarding magic..   the schools have little to no interaction with eachother nowdays ? But you may want several diffrent school at 75+ or 50 for various utility spells ?   Am I getting that correct ?

Oh.. and is heavy armour worth it at all.. or shall I just go bonearmour like everyone else ? =)

For magic what you want to do is title in your main schools but still look at choice buffs/debuffs/utilities in other schools and level to where you get the ones you like. The difference with these secondary schools is you dont have to grind them to 100 to get value out of them, bnut that doesnt mean you wont on the back end. Look at each school and pick the spells you like and just level those school until you have access to those spells, but first get your main school(s) to 100.

I am a hybrid air necro combo PA + skinning and use a hybrid set of metal gloves bone upper and leather lower, but if you are not a hybrid that doesnt mean you cant use some metal you just never want to be >1 encumb. Basically robes give a lot more mana reg but are squishy and bone gives up some of that regen, so people will us a robe hood with a bone set and then maybe one metal piece in larger scale for the protection.

Reply #7
Prsonally I think robe hood is foolish until it's enchantable .  Bone helm plus piercing enchant is better hands down (unless you have zero expectation if pvp)  Just pricier.
  • Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 04:38:33 am by Rimamok

Reply #8
Prsonally I think robe hood is foolish until it's enchantable .  Bone helm plus piercing enchant is better hands down (unless you have zero expectation if pvp)  Just pricier.

I agree and am not fond of it either thats where I keep my stam effec enchant and as a hybrid i need it and personally almost prefer a robe body with a metal helm if im looking for more magic power/regen

Reply #9
I think most mages would agree that Robes are for:
* PvE
* suicide PvP sets

I did see a few Robe mages in sieges, but that's way out of my comfort zone.

• gosti
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10

Stamina eff.

I think most mages would agree that Robes are for:
* PvE
* suicide PvP sets

I did see a few Robe mages in sieges, but that's way out of my comfort zone.

The dps output of a good robe is always worth wearing for solid mages. I wouldn't wear it.in a siege tho, but small scale? Yup.
  • Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 09:22:58 am by gosti

Reply #11
DPS output of Robe vs Bone is always less than 10% difference (~5% for GBone vs Adept, ~9% for Deinos vs Archmage).
I personally wouldn't trade 4-8 in protections for that, but to each their own.