Skip to main content

Topic: Spell Discussion: Wall Of Force (Read 2773 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Spell Discussion: Wall Of Force
Reply #15
Shouldnt we rather discuss why root/snare/stun shouldnt be present in a full loot PvP oriented game? Atleast not when there aint a counter to it. Why are we still debating over this after 10 years of fail. DFUW did, after a while, realise the retardness of CC abilities in a competitive full loot environment.

In short: YOU SHOULD NEVER LOSE TOTAL CONTROL OF YOUR CHARACTER.

Wrong, you still can parry while in WoF or shoot, cast spells, even melee if someone close. you have not lost TOTAL CONTROL of your character.

All in all, WoF needs to present only in sieges, for that it may not be a good choise of spell for small scale fights and atm, people use WoF in duels as well.

Nerfing parameters of WoF, makes it more tactical, so should the AOE's be nerfed as well. R50 shouldn't be spammable as well, specially with the floting effect. You have a good spell, that you leveled up and have title for it, choose the time you use it wisely.

WOF in before it was changed to serve a waterfight purpose, had also a good solution, the character in it was moves very fast, so it wasn't easy to focus down or come hither guy in it.

IGN: "Eilis Traee"
However, you have to take into account why we are introducing local banking.
In New Dawn, its main purpose is to be a convenience feature.
"Things just got worse."

• SomeBK
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #16
Watch an RoA pvp video to figure out how to get out of that trash. Does that mean you need to pick up air to stormblast out and maybe pick up necro and keep it and confusion on cooldown when you're fighting? Maybe but oh well, learn to adapt. Like @Nataz says, this is apparently magefall so who cares if the best player on the server is a melee archer and everyone else that gets caught in a wof just stands around like an Ivar or any other potato.

The tools are there to combat that trash. Is it getting old because everyone uses it? Of course it is but I think it has more to do with the majority of the players left choosing to use it as their go-to tactic in group fights as it should be.

Just find a way to buff other schools rather than nerf this one into the ground because all you're going to end up doing is making a cry post about the next OP rinse/repeat spell or tactic everyone is doing.
Fair enough ill be there, Actually can we do it Thurs
(ive been lugging boxes of books all morning from a collection I bought and a little beat)

Reply #17
Ok, so lets go over the entire thread then to get you guys in motion...
and making it have 50-100% higher mana cost.

What would doubling mana cost do, as most mages tend to not struggle with mana at all (from watching videos)

Explain WHY you want WHAT part changed, so there's a discussion to be had on where the real pain is at...not just cutting randomly in a limb because you feel a tingle somewhere and you'd rather be rid of it.
Fair point - I should've explained my reasoning.

Mages rarely, if ever, run out of mana in 1v1 scenarios.
But in bigger group engagements, they often do. For examples, check Issar Ruins siege videos (even if watching from a fighter's PoV, you can easily spot HP2MP being cast on various mages).

WoF costing more mana would mean WoF caster has to, at some point, cast HP2MP once more. Which means a tiny bit of self damage.
But combining that change with WoF losing damage and our caster in question spent a lot of time on not doing damage, lowering his possible DPS.

Over a longer fight, things like that add up.

Still a member of SaltyBitches™ Club

Reply #18
Like @Nataz says, this is apparently magefall so who cares if the best player on the server is a melee archer...

That shit works for him in exarch and one yellow parrot on each shoulder and 4 in the pocket.

AHOY!

Reply #19
the only OP thing about wof in my opinion is the following unparriable come hithers that will likely fuck your day up if your team isn't faster

is the average wof still a surge these days? so is bigger and does ~30 damage if it hasn't changed.. might need toning down on that front but as others have said combat has already lost flavor, be careful not to get rid of the little it has.
  • Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 07:48:31 pm by Finnad

Reply #20
WoF is a utility spell and should be considered as such. Right now however it is dual purpose, an ok damage spell and supplies superb CC. Combo it with come hither and it can completely change the direction of a fight.

Proposed changes imo that'd fix it in the current meta:
1. Current damage is around 30-40. Rather than removing damage completely reduce damage to negligible amounts so it can't be used to grief people in NPC cities
2. Increase CD by about 50-75%
3. Make come hither blockable

This would still keep the spell useful and not make people regret picking arcane considering there have been some heroes who have stuck with the school even tho it was completely garbage up until the changes(fixes).
Azmoodeus Barnmere
Garbage Men

Reply #21
The problem is not wof it is the fall damage after comehither add a buff no fall damage 10sec after comehither  . if caught in wof try begone or launch or block drink a pot. ez spell to get around

• SomeBK
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #22
The problem is not wof it is the fall damage after comehither add a buff no fall damage 10sec after comehither  . if caught in wof try begone or launch or block drink a pot. ez spell to get around
You lost most people at "try"
Fair enough ill be there, Actually can we do it Thurs
(ive been lugging boxes of books all morning from a collection I bought and a little beat)

Reply #23

By the time you cast a launch, wof is gone,
you cannot begone if you have any encumberance on you, so you need to cast unburden first, by that time you get above ground to not be able to do it,
come hither has impact protection, the issue is that you get 100% dragged into enemy lines, good luck there if they chain pull you,
drink a potion +6hp/s for when 5 people focusing you

Making come hither parryable, would help indeed, but it would push the problem 1 layer further only, 1 archer to draw a disabling shot when the 'woffing' is called out. It's worth to try it out, hope they implement it.
IGN: "Eilis Traee"
However, you have to take into account why we are introducing local banking.
In New Dawn, its main purpose is to be a convenience feature.
"Things just got worse."

Reply #24
Burden should be the counter.
Cast it on your ally and it remove the wof effect + Come hither do nothing vs someone with burden on him.
I don't know if it already works like this, someone test it?
  • Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 09:52:31 am by AshDoo

• memes
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #25
it does CC, why also do damage?

almost every spellschool has at least 1 knockup that everyone spams all day and u dont complain about that? LUL

yes remove the only spell that can keep (some) mages from escaping to the other side of the map for 3 seconds

smells like a mage suggestion

Reply #26

almost every spellschool has at least 1 knockup that everyone spams all day and u dont complain about that? LUL

yes remove the only spell that can keep (some) mages from escaping to the other side of the map for 3 seconds

I'm not terribly worried about WOF myself tbh I just got a lot of PMs requesting this thread.

Reply #27
While I would like its duration to be significantly reduced I don't think it'd be fun to use.

I haven't played with it as it is title locked but good changes would be really high mana cost(think 100+) and really short cast range(so you have to put yourself in possible "danger").

I'd leave all other stats same as they are, this way you keep fun parts of using it and being really effective but remove some unfairness from it and add tactic around using it instead of spam.

Reply #28

Oh you mean fire and air magic... I'll even give you blast even tho nobody uses raw magic?  You're right, almost every school has a knock-up spell to spam...
-----------------
Anyway, back to the topic.

So you are having a 1v1, robes vs robes.  You get stuck in wof and you have 3 options:

Option 1:  pot and parry until wof ends.
Result: you're going to die unless u can successfully reset to ditch your disadvantage of lost hp/mp, in which you'll get hit by another wof after reset anyway.

Option 2:  fight back via blinds and damage
Result: you're going to die unless u can successfully land all your hits to keep it even considering you're a sitting duck in the wof.

Option 3:  utility spell to get out of wof
Result: you're going to die unless u can successfully reset to ditch your disadvantage of lost hp/sp/mp

Am I right?  What I'm getting at is simply getting hit by a wof puts you so far behind, you need to be on point with everything to break even with the opponent while also hoping they are not on point themselves. 

Arcane mages excel at killing other non-arcane mages, and I'm a non-arcane mage.  So can someone describe their scenarios as melee/archer vs arcane(wof) mage.  I'm not the greatest, I'd say I'm average at directly landing offensive spells and spell rotations, but my movement, stat management, awareness, reflexes, and strategy is very strong due to much darkfall experience and gaming in general -- still, wall of force rapes me almost every time.  I just flee from arcane mages now and if I'm forced in a fight, I try to keep distance as best I can but ultimately lose to that wof, or shortly after it while I instantly knocked myself out of wof cause we all know it's hard to come back from being pressured while on the defensive.
-----------------
On a side note, any tips for me (earth and air) specifically fighting against arcane mages and wall of force cc(to make is bearable) ?
  • Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 01:33:49 pm by Mordisk

Reply #29
@Mordisk Stormblast using a fast staff should work well for WoF escape. At least you have Air title.

Still a member of SaltyBitches™ Club