Skip to main content

Topic: Spell Discussion: Wall Of Force (Read 2734 times) previous topic - next topic

Spell Discussion: Wall Of Force
Some hate it, some want it removed completely. Others want it to change, some even want it to be available for everyone. Another guy wants it to change color.

I think Wall of Force is a cool spell, would gameplay be better without it though? Not sure.

However I think a start would be to remove its damage, it does CC, why also do damage?

What do you think about the current wall of force? is it broken, how to fix it? is it fine?

Re: Spell Discussion: Wall Of Force
Reply #1
Double cast time, triple CD, no damage, effect better scaling with encumbrance, the more of it, the weaker it should be.
IGN: "Eilis Traee"
However, you have to take into account why we are introducing local banking.
In New Dawn, its main purpose is to be a convenience feature.
"Things just got worse."

Reply #2
It most definitely should do damage - around 1 point for full duration would be fine (to prevent griefing in NPC cities).

I don't want to see it removed from the list of good spells all together, but a bit of a nerf is necessary, and I'd start with removal of damage (lowering to 1), and making it have 50-100% higher mana cost.

Still a member of SaltyBitches™ Club

Reply #3
Remove damage (make it deal only a couple 1dmg ticks like telekinesis to prevent blue griefing)

Increase CD

Start there.
Other options are to increase Mana cost and adjust how encumbrace is effected. But start small.

I don't think it needs a longer casting time. If it gets balanced with other ideas, I don't mind a shorter casting time. My ideal wof would be for it to be used more situationally. Allow it to be used as a reaction cc.
85% /s

Reply #4
Increased cooldown and No dmg would be fine.

Along with blockable comehither.

Reply #5
Wall of force nerf, raw magic buff, and other various magic spell tweaks and balancing are needed.

Wof is sometimes an i-win button, though.

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
Ok, so lets go over the entire thread then to get you guys in motion...

Double cast time, triple CD, no damage, effect better scaling with encumbrance, the more of it, the weaker it should be.
What do you hope to achieve by doubling the cast time?
What opportunities arise by tripling cooldown, or do you believe the added cooldown will feel like an opportunity cost?
Is wal of force even in the field aoe cooldown group these days?
Is WoF too easily of large size, would smaller sizes still serve a purpose?

and making it have 50-100% higher mana cost.

What would doubling mana cost do, as most mages tend to not struggle with mana at all (from watching videos)

Explain WHY you want WHAT part changed, so there's a discussion to be had on where the real pain is at...not just cutting randomly in a limb because you feel a tingle somewhere and you'd rather be rid of it.

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
Time for the double post to show how this goes back and forth.

Now i understand doubling the cast time makes it harder to position yourself.
But it also makes it less of a reactionairy spell.
If you couple this with increased cooldown, when exactly would you have a chance to use it to good effect?
Especially if you couple it with lower magnitude ontop, because different scaling.

Because at some point, WoF will simply no longer be used because.
1. super long cast time (cough, launch, cough)
2. Long cool down (cough, storm blast, cough)
3. High mana cost (cough eye rot?, maybe? cough)

If you hit it on all fields, it may be too much.

Go over all of these things, talk about it with each other. Get to know what it is this spell is meant to be used for and try to come up with things that limit its options outside of them.

Like, i get that people are spamming them now, so you feel like almost removing it from the game would make things far more interesting....But it is an actually unique spell in the game that should have a purpose.

Reply #8
@Ub3rgames

Lower cast time.
Lower damage.
Increase cool down slightly

-have the WoF effect be cancelled when it comes in contact with another WoF.

Let's make it more strategic and less "always cast it off cool down"

Edit- OR at least allow the new launch to have contact with the WoF as a launching surface, because currently  melee-archers have no way to get out of the WoF with the reworked launch
  • Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 05:11:45 pm by Ivar_theBoneless

Reply #9
They need to change titles somewhat. Only single school arcane mages should have access to WoF. I'm thinking for single school mages, 2nd title spell is also unlocked. If it's in combination with anything else, only 1st title spell is unlocked (for arcane, spell reflect).

Reply #10
Lazy and easy fix: Increase cooldown to 1 minute (same as stormblast).
That would make it less spammy and would encourage people to rly use it in a tactical way and not just the instant it comes off cooldown.

• Giant
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
Buff, nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buff nerf, buff, nerf, buffnerf, buff, nerf, buff

Reply #12
Another solution I didn't thought of yet would be to reduce the range you can cast it.
Like, i get that people are spamming them now, so you feel like almost removing it from the game would make things far more interesting....But it is an actually unique spell in the game that should have a purpose.

Now that you mention, range should be cut to half as well!
IGN: "Eilis Traee"
However, you have to take into account why we are introducing local banking.
In New Dawn, its main purpose is to be a convenience feature.
"Things just got worse."

Reply #13
Shouldnt we rather discuss why root/snare/stun shouldnt be present in a full loot PvP oriented game? Atleast not when there aint a counter to it. Why are we still debating over this after 10 years of fail. DFUW did, after a while, realise the retardness of CC abilities in a competitive full loot environment.

In short: YOU SHOULD NEVER LOSE TOTAL CONTROL OF YOUR CHARACTER.

Reply #14
In short: YOU SHOULD NEVER LOSE TOTAL CONTROL OF YOUR CHARACTER.

I like this statement but you can still sort of float in the bubble, and there are some spells that get you out, so that aspect is cool.. but in this class game I guess it's harder for a high encumbrance person, so yeah. ..

I think the right way to go is some cool-down and damage removal maybe? sounds easy, and then see where that gets us.. wish we had some balancing patches with smaller changes more frequently... and then again I rather have ub3r make rich pve quest content populated game out of this than balance combat, can we have both?
  • Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 05:31:46 pm by Baracuda