Skip to main content

Topic: Discussion: Progress Update July 26th 2018 (Read 2060 times) previous topic - next topic

Discussion: Progress Update July 26th 2018
Greetings,

This progress update will be a bit samey to the previous one as we're still working on the same technical subjects.
Champions have been delivered and seem to have been well received, and the next big step is still getting bindstone quests in.
We have more details on some other features though and general information.

Bindstone quests:
This is a crucial piece of the NPE which should provide a bridge between infatuation and love for the game.
We usually take around 6 weeks to complete a feature in a new part of the code, but this one is proving to be a lot more challenging than initially planned.
it is sort of kicking our collective butt.

We've hunkered down to rush it before August, to avoid overlap with people's vacations, but it will miss the mark and still needs additional time.
Sorry, but we do not have an ETA as of yet, but most of the technical team has been drawn to work on it.

Race changes:
We took some time to work on that front and implemented a system for integrating external services.
This has not been sent to QA yet, and some web development will still be needed for it to be completed, but it is no longer in the inactive bin.
We'll be posting a reply to the InDev race change PSA once we've decided on a cutoff date for it.

Titles and magical/physical grind equalization:
As we mentioned in the 2.1 update notes, the work on that front has been nearly completed for a while now.
During the August period, while the team is not at full capacity, we may do a final push to release it as an Update 2.2.
Though we are hesitant to do so, with the reasons explained a bit later in this post.

For more details on the feature itself:
Titles will sort of go back to an earlier stage of their design where they were supposed to be a lot more impactful on utility.
Active skills and spells will now be linked in more intuitive ways, differentiating between damage and utility skills.
Note that as always, we make a distinction between grind and long term progression. The aim is to make it more organic to progress, not necessarily faster.
it should also reduce the frustration of getting to viability at a different pace between different combat playstyles.

We have not started work on that aspect, but we're considering also making title interact with the new player protection.
The title system the way it ended up being setup is made in a way that allows new players to change their mind in case they try and prefer something else and not be limited by cooldowns.
We'd like to extend that to not have penalties or perhaps even earlier unlocks when done during the new player protection, which is only once per account.

The path forward:
Talking about new accounts, we'd like to talk about our plans to switch towards new player acquisition.
We will aim to release mostly externally marketable patches from now on. this is why we're possibly going to skip 2.2.

Organic acquisition has been relatively good lately, but to help it out and make marketing efforts worth it, it is preferable to have newsworthy patches.
We've confirmed that smaller patches didn't perform well on that front, compared to something like the champion system.
Retention wise, we have reached our saddle point about 6 to 8 weeks ago. It happened later but is slightly higher than what was anticipated.
Since then, active population has been mostly stable, with a slight upward trend during July.

However, this is not enough for us to speed up, let alone tackle some of the larger overhauls we'd like to do such as UI and graphics.
We have focused predominantly on NPE features, and have not been able to branch in enough subjects to always satisfy all segments of the population.
Where we're getting at is that we'd like to get out of the garage, and the non-technical staff have been working on that lately.

In conclusion:
We're taking more time than we had hoped on Bindstone quests, and do not have an ETA yet.
Update 2.2 is still on the table, but we're hesitant to do it for strategic reasons.
The game seems to be ready to go on the offensive, and we're prepping up for that, and hopefully more.
While the past few months have been heavy crunch mode, especially July, we'll regroup a bit during August to have a strong Fall and Winter.

Thank you for reading, and have a great day!
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

Re: Discussion: Progress Update July 26th 2018
Reply #1
You're working out of an apartment as a small indie dev studio and you're in your very first year of development after launching the game and you're just having team members go on vacation during such a crucial time? Wow, ok.

It took you over a month to post anything and you took a full man day to do it as well. Inkarn wrote:

"Hey guys well update in a couple days
Goes completely silent for a month
Comes back without an apology and even tries to act like the problem is the players"

How out of touch do you have to be to come back after such a long period of silence which is definitely not normal only to ask us if we're trolling? Darkfall as a game has tons of issues and overall is just not a very good game but it has a small niche community that has for years now seen past a lot of flaws and can enjoy it for what it is and has always just wanted a developer that can go past the shoddy job AV did.

You're not doing that at all. It's a bit unfair to compare you to AV since they had a much larger team and while people hate on them all the time they released a lot of big content updates, kept in touch with the community much better especially thanks to people like the old CM Brannoc who communicated a ton and did so for months without being paid.

It feels like you're just winging it without a clue on how to handle the community you have here and it's honestly just insulting.

Reply #2
I'd rather have you guys explain https://www.brightlocker.com/games/darkfall-new-dawn/rewards friend of mine havent got his reward and he bought this in indev!

Reply #3
They have a strategy, they are working on the game. Game is fun. They have long therm plans and marketing targets. For me it is good  news. As  far as I understand they are a small slow team but  they have things under control. They aim  for  the game to be  successfull and not to keep the current player base entertained, wich i think is also  good

Reply #4
For those complaining about vacations, probably USA people, I'd like  to say that emplyees still have some social  right in Europe. And even if your  leaders tell you otherwise, that improves long therm efficency as  well.

Reply #5
They have a strategy, they are working on the game. Game is fun. They have long therm plans and marketing targets. For me it is good  news. As  far as I understand they are a small slow team but  they have things under control. They aim  for  the game to be  successfull and not to keep the current player base entertained, wich i think is also  good

I mean do they though? I swear a shit load of dev time has been spent re-doing/re-working existing systems they literally just implemented before the "soft launch". Now they are talking about going back to an earlier stage of titles lol... I always thought Ub3r had a strong belief in what they wanted to do with the game and despite people mocking them, a small part of me hoped they proved them wrong and achieved a sustainable version of DF. I haven't logged in for months and have very little interest in playing, even more so when seeing lack luster updates like this.
  • Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 11:22:38 am by Kal VenoM

Reply #6
I think a portion of the development team works on balancing combat, titles and ability, onother group (or maybe just one person) works on things like Champions and Bindstones quests. I am not  Ub3r advocate. The situation is not optimal, the money and the staff etc.

They are slow, we know that. But I am personally happy to know that they still have long therm plans and that they are cool with that.

I  am happy cause I have fun in the current game. I know the situation is different if you are waiting for big changes to be implemented before enjoing the game. That will probably take several months. Now we know that they are still planning to get there, sooner or later.

• Niburu
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
hmm 1 month silence only to tell us you go on vacation during august. Abit strange this update.
Darkfall is the best experience on PC with my pants not unzipped.

Reply #8
Yeah, after some big patches they will go on steam, i think. Or will make some PR. That post good news.

"Active population has been mostly stable, with a slight upward trend during July." - thats true, i saw that ingame.
Dolly Monk

Reply #9
hmm 1 month silence only to tell us you go on vacation during august. Abit strange this update.
When even your biggest fanboys turn on you @Ub3rgames , it's really really poor like bottom of the barrel.. I don't see how you can turn things around with your current behavior patterns and track record.

Reply #10
Any update is better than nothing. And dogs, like pat, who posting from 5 different accounts, have no meaning in this game world.

You can bark more, little puppy)

Reply #11
@Ub3rgames,
1. What about a little bit more communication with players? Can you just post post like this every week? Just tell us, what all is ok, what ppl working, etc. Or maybe you can spend one hour on live discussion with players, or interview? Or just look at camelot unhcained format, where developers and game designers just talking about game, plans, etc?
2. Can you appoint moderator on your forums? Its a lot shittalking about "game is dead", what not will attract new players if they read about that.
Dolly Monk

Reply #12
You are welcome, same to you.

Reply #13
You are welcome, same to you.
WildNothing I personally like you and usually agree with a lot of your point of views usually, but it's baffling for me to see you let ub3r fuck you up the arse so easily.
Glad to hear that mate. When it comes to "arse fucking" I realized that communication with ub3r is actually one of things that frustrated me the most when it comes to DND. So I let it go. Especially if their posts are not about specific game mechanics I can refer to. My mind and their minds are not compatible.

But I enjoy the game, and they are the ones that gave it to us. So fuck it, I just ignore some/most of what they say (and I have a strange feeling they do the same when it comes to my messages :))). That's why I responded only to the last sentence of their message.

From time to time I fantasize that ub3r is trolling. And man, if they were, that would be the shit. Fucking balls on a guy that owns a company just to troll all customers! But well, back to reality.
  • Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 02:23:28 pm by wildNothing

Reply #14
It's strange how your communication shifted between indev and live server.
I don't care if you take more time to complete the patch but please...

1 update every week/2 weeks even if you don't answer to the community
+
 moderate the forum. Atleast the troll topics...even a complete amateur forum have moderator(s). Give it a try with someone of the community if you can't afford it financially?