Skip to main content

Topic: The calm before the storm (Read 9315 times) previous topic - next topic

• SomeBK
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: The calm before the storm
Reply #270
I love all pearl clutching in here about a game that's currently free to play if you purchase the client for $10.

@Ub3rgames you are correct most game companies keep it simple and don't offer any type of updates except for the meaningless Twitter post. Pen and paper RPG companies we don't even offer that accept teasers for products that are mostly completed. Just keep doing what you're doing you're not going to convince any of the idiots above me who post every single day on a game that they supposedly no longer player.
Guy calls people in here pearl clutchers regarding a $10 game that can't even get over 2k people who still have access for free to log in.

The long Uber shaft has taken care of this guy very well
Fair enough ill be there, Actually can we do it Thurs
(ive been lugging boxes of books all morning from a collection I bought and a little beat)

Reply #271
The amount of cringe many vets give me, and it's so sad ub3r have to take valuable time to comfort you.

Oh well, an idiots problem is everyone's problem. And seems ub3r understands you, but you need a psychiatrist or more IQ points.

We're lucky to have a team that operates logically and data driven instead of talking to some hipster pr shit person.

• SomeBK
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #272
The amount of cringe many vets give me, and it's so sad ub3r have to take valuable time to comfort you.

Oh well, an idiots problem is everyone's problem. And seems ub3r understands you, but you need a psychiatrist or more IQ points.

We're lucky to have a team that operates logically and data driven instead of talking to some hipster pr shit person.
Game is free and has been to over 2k people.

Nuff said
(ive been lugging boxes of books all morning from a collection I bought and a little beat)

Reply #273

another deluded brendan!

Reply #274
who cares? game died months ago, move on.

Even forumfall is shit these days, i don't even bother with it any more.
I dueled him once and was in control first half of the fight and then food buff wore out and not noticing lost, so he did win but hes by no means any better a player than I.

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #275
Can i just say some of you are really behaving like you should be treated like a princess.
First, you complain they post a lot but do no work.
Then, you complain they dont post enough and dont do enough work.
Then, you complain they dont post, and you see nothing of their work.
Now, you complain they posted after week(s) of people begging them for a response...and they listen to you...
But its still not good enough and you rage on anyway.

Like, at some point you need to not only point the finger at Uber to spot the mistakes.
Sometimes, there's also a moment of self reflection in how your expectations are impacting the way you view things.

This isnt to say i agree with the lack of communication...But ive suggested a CM position for the forums a few posts back to take that burden away from uber. Its a tricky choice no doubt, but the anxiety people feel here when there's no Polo after Marco is enough to make tinfoil hats insufficient.

The reason they are even going into debate in the off topic forum is because the larger content additions, say...watchtowers?
Its not going to be done in a week, or even a month. During this time, the game will keep running. They will keep doing maints.
But, they wont post "we are 30% done" only to say 40% the next week.
There's no point, plus its hard to say %'s and you guys are going to plot graphs and say they are slacking in weeks they under preform and stuff.

Imagine doing a big patch on something actually new and it takes them 5 months to finish things.
You'll see and hear nothing for 4 months, aside from a prior announcement on what is being worked on.
Then you maybe get some teasers, to hype up the patch a little when things are wrapping up.

You guys would go nuts, like...Its actually not even funny anymore.

I went through this month of silence in complete bliss, granted i only played like 3 hours of DnD during it.
The only reason i even knew they werent posting is the forum posts about it.
And the only reason i posted is because there were people asking me on discord what i thought was going on.

Its silly to worry about things out of your control.
But well, your anxiety will get the better of you anyway.
Props to the few trolls out there that got enough threads going with semi-believable theories to fan the flames.

• SomeBK
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #276
I get what you're saying regarding a number of people concerned about the lack of communication but I think the proof of no one playing a $10 box to play after over 2k REAL people have already spent it should speak volumes. The response people finally got was pretty much their realization that the current state of the game and population will stay like this indefinitely

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #277
Ofc many people arent playing that could be.
But thats like saying LoL is a flop because millions of people stopped playing.

That isnt to say its a good sign so many arent playing.
But, i personally try the game every so often to see if it can remain its entertainment value for a bit

• SomeBK
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #278
Ofc many people arent playing that could be.
But thats like saying LoL is a flop because millions of people stopped playing.

That isnt to say its a good sign so many arent playing.
But, i personally try the game every so often to see if it can remain its entertainment value for a bit
Well, I've dubbed you as someone who calls it like it is. What's your most objective opinion of the game we can all currently play for free?

I feel you of all people would be the first to say the current population, or lack thereof, in a free game should halt most, of not all conversations. Specifically from you since you have many examples and foreshadows of why the choices being made during inDev would be lackluster or even a detriment

Reply #279
So you suggest hiring a CM to babysit forumfall instead of adding a developer or artist....

Reply #280
So you suggest hiring a CM to babysit forumfall instead of adding a developer or artist....
I chatted with Marc for a few hours last night and one thing I really tried to make clear is this place is Lord of the Flies and though they dont need to moderate hard they do need to show the kids there is an adult in the room and there needs to be some limits.

Reply #281
They already have someone who is their community manager of sorts. Title on linkedin is "Current: Responsable communications at Ub3rgames"

She's also in charge of hiring new people (3.66 euro an hour btw) for intern positions. Head of like all media communications etc. Doesn't seem like she's doing a great job atm so I doubt she would have time or the capability to post in here as well.

Your post was a whole lot of nothing and some defending ub3rs silence @Nuyur The LoL example was terrible. It lost a few million players last year but it's 10 years old (similar to DF's age) and the retention they still have thanks to pretty decent communication and updates, events is impressive especially as the F2P market is becoming more fierce with Fortnite as competition for example. DND just went from average to bottom in CCU incredibly fast and not because some other game poached their players.

It's not about updating a community with "We're 40% done with the next content" this week. It's about having organic communication through all these channels they have created that they are now leaving empty and unused while also working. This is only normal and no communication whatsoever is not normal it's as simple as that. What to communicate during their dev time is something they need to plan.
The current community of vets don't matter though, they've agreed and acknowledged that as well so maybe that's why they just don't care to run any of the channels they've made yet. I do hope they have a plan for once they start bringing in more people which they are moving towards wanting to do.

Negligence for their current product that they've put out there is also quite sad to see. They let the server just run without proper maintenance to the point where spell animations in the game get slowed down. Something they've confirmed is fixed by a quick restart but contacting GM's about it has not given any results recently. It's shown in mantras latest video.

Also, in regards to conspiracies or whatever you can ask Dunnin himself who got confirmation from ub3r about their meetings discussing if they should continue with the development and what to do moving forward. That's the only major rumor people talked about these last few weeks from what I've heard so why act like it wasn't true.

• Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 09:14:07 am by CrucialUnit

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #282
Well, I've dubbed you as someone who calls it like it is. What's your most objective opinion of the game we can all currently play for free?

If this were DFO, i could PvE for hours and keep myself busy because i like to complicate things and having access to all allows you to do so quite easily. Basicly, DFO could be a single player game for me...as long as i dont have to craft (or just grind the craft, i dont mind pressing a button once or twice for a new gear set but fuck 1000's)
That doesnt mean i would play it infinitely, but even if i leave id come back after some time simply because there's just something about it that makes time fly. Like when you were a kid, you'd say "just one quick thing" and suddenly your parents are angry at you that its an hour past bed time and you are like "no way, i literally just only did this".

In DnD, im a physical playstyle because at launch mages were too weak and i didnt feel like my already poor playerskills should be undervalued even further by a weak setup. This means my PvE experience consists of left clicking arrows, left clicking melee, and healing up using cover and a tiny bit of looting. Its boring as fuck, no matter what monster i go to its basicly the same routines.
I cant branch out, i cant adapt to situations...i can log off though, thats great.
If i were to switch titles around, because at this point maybe i wouldnt be total trash as a mage given some of the patches...
It would take 1 month, or two because i havnt killed a lot of champions to stock up books, to get to full potential.

Ofcourse i wouldnt need full potential to play, you unlock everything at 25 so maybe id be ok.
But debuffs still last extremely short, most self buffs arent worth using, and id lose the in-out of melee for just bolt spam.
I dont see how it would make it a more enjoyable experience. So id rather not fuck with the bindings i learned, not grind out all the spells and schools because spoiler alert...my char isnt very progressed because there's no point with my titles...and not consistantly play i game i dont enjoy anymore.

An hour of DnD feels like an hour, and the last time i played some of my equipment parts broke and i was literally to lazy to ride 2 km in game to the next market place that did have replacement parts. Thats 4 minutes, i just...fuck it...So ye, im half naked and i know that logging in will likely require me to spend those 4 minutes anyway to then ride to something i want to do.
Hanging over my head, just keep ignoring it lalalalalalalla

So there's just a certain ammount of tedium in the game now that makes part of it such a chore to play that i just dont feel like it.
The feeling of accomplishing something during a play session is just not there, or way too little.

I dont want to suggest fixes, because that would require enough playtime to get to the bottom of the problems.

I feel you of all people would be the first to say the current population, or lack thereof, in a free game should halt most, of not all conversations. Specifically from you since you have many examples and foreshadows of why the choices being made during inDev would be lackluster or even a detriment

The lack of pop is making the problems bigger, but even with 1k concurrent users you'd still experience it...just on fewer parts or to a lesser extent.
What if your local market has all armor parts, except 1...you'd either compromise and buy a different/more shitty part...
Or you ride anyway and it might aswell have had nothing.
(or weapon, shield, staff, idgaf)

The only real difference between now and 2k pop is the feeling of imminent pvp would be more real.
Techincally 2 players online can find each other, but...not very likely.
So you'd make things more often an adrenaline rush, but it doesnt change the fundamental problems in the game mechanics.

As for @CrucialUnit (ninogan?).
I didnt meant to defend them at all. Ive, multiple times now, said 0 communication was a terrible choice.
The LoL reference was aimed at a lot of players who have access to the game not playing.
Every single person in the world with a computer and internet has access to LoL, not everyone is playing it.
So i dont think having players that could play, not playing, is a sure fire way of saying the game is bad.

As for the "dev or quit" thing, i really dont spend enough time and attention on this game to notice.
I could ask dunnin, but that would require me to care. So instead i just run the scenarios.
1. They did have a talk.
They decided to dev, because posts again. Its alarming there is such a talk, but its been like half a year now since launch?
It wouldnt be weird to have set up an evaluation moment, though...the coupling with silence makes it seem quite serious.
2. They did not have a talk.
They just kept working and they just fucked up communication wise.

Either way, going forward everything is like it has been before.
If they shut down this game, it wouldnt impact my day to day stuff at all. Im not playing even an hour a week i think.
My average over the past half year might just barely make 15 minutes a day, because of the larger time investment at launch.
I can find something else to do with that time.

@lambdaExpression Yes, i do think they should hire a CM instead of a dev or artist.
1. CM wont be working full time.
2. CM are a fuck load cheaper.
3. These forums are terrible and will get out of hand quite quickly.
4. Everytime uber needs to post its cutting into dev time much more than hiring a dev part time could ever compensate for.
(remember, they slowed down because of new hires...its not like a dockworker job where a truck pulls up and you move the pallets out of the truck onto the loading area
So even hiring a dev part time wouldnt immediately result in more work done. And the communication and collaboration between programmers means that you need to spend quite a bit of time figuring out how it comes together and who does what)

Im suggesting they pay somebody for 10 hours a week, at 10$ an hour?
For that kind of money you could hire a dev for...50 minutes?
  • Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 11:22:28 am by Nuyur

Reply #283
They have a CM who is doing a lot of CM'y stuff behind the scenes apparently. Seems to be terrible at it but that's another thing. I think you mean they should hire a forum moderator to handle these forums because the least important thing a CM does is babysit forums. Although any CM with actual experience would need to be paid pretty well (hiring zero experience University aspiring CM's is hit & miss) and to really excel at the position they'd need the help of artists to name one thing so they can push content and posts on all the various communication channels uber has set up but never use. They don't have this symbiosis setup right now or the possibility to add it most likely for it to even make sense to have a CM (which is probably why we're not noticing their current CM doing anything).

It makes no sense to want them to do CM shit at this point. They are so far from having the resources to put someone in such a position to good use. They need some volunteer forum admins to handle this cesspool but as they've said before they are completely unwilling to get volunteer help from this community for that but getting some super cheap people is something they don't want to do either it seems since they don't want to spend a minute training people for it.
  • Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 12:45:16 pm by CrucialUnit

Reply #284
Physical: This means my PvE experience consists of left clicking arrows, left clicking melee, and healing up using cover and a tiny bit of looting. Its boring as fuck, no matter what monster i go to its basicly the same routines.
I cant branch out, i cant adapt to situations...i can log off though, thats great.

and id lose the in-out of melee for just bolt spam.

An hour of DnD feels like an hour,

So there's just a certain ammount of tedium in the game now that makes part of it such a chore to play that i just dont feel like it.
The feeling of accomplishing something during a play session is just not there, or way too little.

The lack of pop is making the problems bigger, but even with 1k concurrent users you'd still experience it...just on fewer parts or to a lesser extent.

The only real difference between now and 2k pop is the feeling of imminent pvp would be more real.
So you'd make things more often an adrenaline rush, but it doesnt change the fundamental problems in the game mechanics.

good sum up
IGN: "Eilis Traee"
However, you have to take into account why we are introducing local banking.
In New Dawn, its main purpose is to be a convenience feature.
"Things just got worse."