Skip to main content

Topic: We need a full wipe (of the General Discussion forums) (Read 975 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: We need a full wipe (of the General Discussion forums)
Reply #30
Chunder McBushpig and Chunder Struck

Reply #31
I'm still working off this: https://darkfallnewdawn.com/2015-11-24-secondary-flaws-spotlight/

Well they got like 2 out of 7 so far, warfronts are exactly what the game needs now.

• SomeBK
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #32
I'm still working off this: https://darkfallnewdawn.com/2015-11-24-secondary-flaws-spotlight/
I can definitely appreciate the sentiment guys but let's brainstorm on our own and try to figure out what they'll do with these actual "fronts". We have commission points that I'd imagine will be a bit like UO's faction silver you'd use to buy gear and we still need to get the meditation points earned/lost upon kill/death which will represent "punkte" from UO.

Here's the deal. How do you make it appealing enough for a bad ass to go out and kill to earn points to buy gear that's good enough to keep him logging in but not too good to where the dedicated crafters we so dearly love would be out of work.

So shit gear is the only solution. At least just newbs can have fun and buy the gear but that kills the shit tier crafters which are already killed so I guess that's fine.

Now let's move onto meditation points as a reward. When I'm maxed, don't care to spend commission points on trash gear because I have plenty of good shit what else is there to spend my med points on? Holdings? Those are useless because of local banking and most smart clans will eventually figure out how to operate off hamlets and chaos cities to keep those maintainance costs down. In the end they don't give a shit because if no one is playing, they'll just let the holdings go anyways.

Uber mentioned "warfronts" will be grand scale entry level pvp yet they use the same "entry level pvp" line for villages. Let me paint this picture for you guys. Some huge groups of random human newbs just got done having the most epic 40vs30 against some random altars at a mythical "warfront" location between both lands and the humans are in chillborne banking their loot when they all notice the chillborne village is about to go live. They all head that way because TimerFall and it's a free for all bloodbath between all of them where eventually they get cleaned up and shit on by a small group of human vets creating animosity amongst everyone where some view race wars as ass backwards and others just wait to get revenge on the other clan by griefing them every chance they get.

So guys, help me figure out how these war fronts are going to work so you can convince the people following the game who have tried it but currently don't play and for the new player to new dawn to not quit within their first week of play
Fair enough ill be there, Actually can we do it Thurs
(ive been lugging boxes of books all morning from a collection I bought and a little beat)

Reply #33
It's an excellent question:  how do you Tier pvp in the Warfronts?

Some brainstorming ideas:

- firstly have easy, medium and hard MOB areas where stronger players are given clear incentives to move upward and not linger in areas they're too strong for.  Rewards for the PvE would increase the faction's influence, in any number of ways.  Eg exp bonuses, increased respawn distances, boosts to loot drops.

Then,  a system of Ranking PvP prowess, but with two different traits. 
1. The first trait would be a ladder-based system that somehow ranks players PvP skill. Players could get Peasant, Knight, Hero etc
2.  The second trait could track how "honorable"your kills are.  Maybe based on the ratios of total player strength of each faction in an area, when you get a kill. For example, players might move in the Cowardly direction, the more they outnumber/Zerg, or the more they kill players much lower in the Ladder system.

Just some ideas.... this is a challenging thing to balance in an open sandbox!
  • Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 08:11:08 am by Rimamok

• SomeBK
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #34
That's not bad for spitballing and I like your ladder system but I'm trying to picture an actual warfront or a large zone of contention that can appear around the borders with something to lure people towards but local banking seems to kill that. The only way I could see the race wars with fronts actually coming to fruition is if you rewarded the blue to fight the good fight at these contested areas with free teleports because most can't be asked to log in and travel.

The more I think about my idea to make watchtowers connect all your local banks to turn them into territorial banks, the more I can see an advantage to being blue, obtaining more holdings and being able to influence the political and racial map by seeing the area you have dominion over expand and contract with constant destruction of your allied watch towers, severing certain banks and forcing you to work with gatherers and traders to get materials needed to rebuild the towers.

Watchtowers for racial lands would be in static locations with the GUI showing if they're operational or not while allowing blue clans to "tap" into the towers of their racial lands to expand their bank access into their holdings.

This is the only way I can see being able to show a day one character that they are important and are contributing to more than just gathering mats to make a suit to pvp with.

I almost feel like the system chat used for holdings needs to do something similar in race chat warning there are x number players of a certain race in your racial lands essentially prompting people to sound the alarms and start forming a scouting party to get shit going and assigning people to go check certain towers that may be getting battlespiked
  • Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 08:37:47 am by SomeBK
(ive been lugging boxes of books all morning from a collection I bought and a little beat)

Reply #35
For the next month I'll be stuffing around in the WoW warfronts (with 50 ping instead of my Darkfall 360 ping) just to see how that works.

ESO pvp, which imitatates warfronts (kind of) was always fun just for the sake of the pvp.

Back in Darkfall though, owning the central dungeon to harvest mats for high level crafting will be a reason to help.
I also like the ladder systems.

Chunder McBushpig and Chunder Struck

Reply #36
Maybe a monthly ladder with rewards. Players need carrot and SKINS(/new armor) to stand out of the crowd
(look all the last pvp games launched and their lucrative cash shop.)
The top ladder of each alliance win a title (general, connetable, major, sergeant...)new skin of all his armor and mount( ships...) during the next month. n 2 to 5 another skin less shiny etc... And why not, skills to unlock and the ability to mark rune/use portal entrance and exit...
And give everyone the ability to unlock other less shiny armor/skins with their contribution(commissions collected by pvp/pve) to the war effort.
With the new skins  you can evaluate the strengh of your ennemies just by looking at their armor (they become a target cause they give more commission when you kill them).

Give something equivalent for arac clan with pirate ships skin etc... :p

It's just skin so it don't kill the crafter and pve boys needed to craft the armors.

Is it enough to keep playing...? I don't know, it work for a lot of game.
But it's not really doable by a little team who still have a lot of basic armor not even recolorised :/

Reply #37
I like @SomeBK 's idea of contiguous local banking as an incentive.  I also like that it would give blue noobs the feeling of contributing.  Personally I think a stronger motivation for then on Racial Warfronts would be more direct personal incentives:  increasing loot drops and exp gains as a Race's dominance increases.  But I also think both would be even better.

I think @AshDoo 's idea of skins is awesome!  But yeah, reservations about what the team can accomplish with minimal manpower.

Reply #38
When I try to get to the warfronts from the link mentioned above + -> Racial wars -> Warfronts link I get this:

https://darkfallnewdawn.com/game-mechanics/racial-warfare/war-fronts/

OOPS, SOMETHING WENT WRONG!

RIP Warfronts.
IGN: "Eilis Traee"
However, you have to take into account why we are introducing local banking.
In New Dawn, its main purpose is to be a convenience feature.
"Things just got worse."

Reply #39
Solid discussions came and went boys. Once Ub3r over promised and vastly underdelivered their launch, they lost many great people who provided them their feedback during indev. We need like 40 more @Zintair players to come along and continue the feedback train so many others have felt burned or burned out on. Until then, if the forum negativity outweighs the positives, please don't think it's because the game is actually doing great and there are people trying to bring it down. It's merely the realizations of so much shit that needs to be addressed and the indev being cut off too soon. Good luck turning this thing around and get on recruiting your boys Zintair because you're going to want them here to help
I got a shitty piece of chicken from KFC once. I didn't hang outside for months after telling everyone "don't eat the chicken", I just never went back.

• SomeBK
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #40
Solid discussions came and went boys. Once Ub3r over promised and vastly underdelivered their launch, they lost many great people who provided them their feedback during indev. We need like 40 more @Zintair players to come along and continue the feedback train so many others have felt burned or burned out on. Until then, if the forum negativity outweighs the positives, please don't think it's because the game is actually doing great and there are people trying to bring it down. It's merely the realizations of so much shit that needs to be addressed and the indev being cut off too soon. Good luck turning this thing around and get on recruiting your boys Zintair because you're going to want them here to help
I got a shitty piece of chicken from KFC once. I didn't hang outside for months after telling everyone "don't eat the chicken", I just never went back.
You're one of those guys that goes on yelp and replies to every person's negative experience telling them to fly a kite because the food/service/product is fantastic.

Attaboy yes man, show em what ya got