Skip to main content

Topic: No Utility (Read 637 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: No Utility
Reply #15
Self mobility as full heavy should not be worse as than naked. Period.

IGN: "Eilis Traee"
However, you have to take into account why we are introducing local banking.
In New Dawn, its main purpose is to be a convenience feature.
"Things just got worse."

Reply #16
Self mobility as full heavy should not be worse as than naked. Period.
On this i can agree surely.
Maybe they could unnerf a bit the impact that encumberance have on mobility, sure...but not making it have no impact at all

Reply #17
I'd be okay with Cantrip & Regeneration spells not being affected by Encumbrance at all.

Still a member of SaltyBitches™ Club

Reply #18
I'd be okay with Cantrip & Regeneration spells not being affected by Encumbrance at all.
This would be sweet in heaven from the lord. indeed. then there would at least be begone and launch and confusion for a warrior to get out of a mess, or play with.

This magnitude patch that was mentioned, that is when utility (movement, blinds, misc) effects were fucked? I did not play InDev.

When I bought this game and saw titles I thought okay fair, I will have to spec a hybrid and lose out on some damage% bonus to get some blind spells like Eyerot or comhither in my kit... not that they would be useless unless I was the magic class.

Reply #19
When I bought this game and saw titles I thought okay fair, I will have to spec a hybrid and lose out on some damage% bonus to get some blind spells like Eyerot or comhither in my kit... not that they would be useless unless I was the magic class.
That's definitely not the case infact. The only ones really having troubles with utilities are those in full heavy armors since everyone else can just unburden to 0 encumberance and have the same utilities.
Sure you can't use them as often as a mage and you need to unburden first....but that's how it is supposed to be. You are not a pure mage, so you can't be just as good as him at that (or then the mage should be equally as good as you at melee and archery too....and we would go back to the old darkfall where everyone was everything).

As an hybrid you can play with a mixed bone/studded set, add a feather and have 0 magic encumberance with 13ish protections: you do a bit less dmg than a robed mage (due to lower +mag), have the same utilities (0 enc), have more protections and being able to melee decently...you are far from useless.

If you just want to have it all and be able to be archer/melee/mage at the same time and excel in everything, then sorry, you can't and that's how it should be

Reply #20
1st scenary: You will run straight at him with your shield up (he doesn't have disables) so you will soak up most dmg while he run backward/jump/shoot to keep distance...you will close the gap and when you are in melee he is screwed since now if he begones to get some space between you and him, you begone too (with the same magnitude) and are still just as close as before....so you'll still melee him down. If he launches? you'll launch right after him and keep being in melee range.

2nd scenary: You run at him while shooting arrows so now he has two options:
-run away in a straight line, jump, shoot to keep distance as long as possible --> he will get hit by a ton of easy backhits from your bow and die
-run away in a random pattern to make it difficult for you to backhit him with arrows --> you will close the gap pretty soon because you can run much more linearly toward him

practice is not the same as your theory. 1st scenario there is different cast times and you will have to predict or activate your begone afterwards. then distance is already created, it's not a sticky-back homing missile..

and this is not solely about warrior vs mages, how do you suggest a non mage create distance or get away?

Reply #21
Mage has a much higher skill floor than melee archer, a low skilled mage is easy meat where a low skilled melee can still be very dangerous, but on the top end i think they are very balanced with good melee/archers able to hit their arrows and good mages able to use utility to out position, but that out positioning is really where mage play is made or breaks.

• SomeBK
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #22
@wildNothing link the video of how a mage uses their utility against battlespikes
Fair enough ill be there, Actually can we do it Thurs
(ive been lugging boxes of books all morning from a collection I bought and a little beat)

Reply #23
@wildNothing link the video of how a mage uses their utility against battlespikes

Better yet lets you and me duel and we can demonstrate?

• SomeBK
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #24
Please refer all "duel" related comments to this thread please.

https://forums.darkfallnewdawn.com/index.php/topic,9698.msg161033.html#new

We're all still waiting for you to spin the latest developments in there.
(ive been lugging boxes of books all morning from a collection I bought and a little beat)

Reply #25
I switched to GS hybrid and use leather armor with a hoodie. I can use a q4 feather for 0 encumbrance but that is too try hard for me. I use those on special occasions.

I can pretty much only use debuffs and drains (shit build don't judge) but let me tell you how easy it is to sneak up on someone and kill 'em dead. Seize is a wonderful tool. If someone hastes me I can clean up a mage in seconds. If someone pops a wof, likely someone will die. A full melee deals rougly 2 more dmg per swing than I do with some extra atk speed and has an additional 6 protection more than I do butI have to try and mitigate that with buffs.

When you use a robe, you are going to die to transmute bows. So if you see a mage running away from you and he is in robes, you are bad.

But more on the topic of utility, Melee is a utility that mages DO NOT have. You talk about melee/archer needs more utility? You can unburden and use a hasted darkscepter with duration to blind. You can still begone, launch, use mounts for mounted combat, drain, debuff. You have a whirlwind, power attack, SEIZE, knock back, DISABLE ON BOTH MELEE AND ARCHERY.

You want more mobility? Drop your melee titles, soften up your armor and pick up some magic. Because you can't have the greatness of melee superpowers and the ability to knock someone 1ft and hop to your death like a guy in robes can.

BTW for the last time for all the people who aren't good at the bhop, it is safer to bhop in leather than it is to bhop in robes. It is better to do it with a black bolt than it is with a corpsecaller. 10 fall damage and 10 stam vs 90 and 90.

#Magefall?
#BuffNecro

TLDR; that kid is bad, ignore this all together.

• Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 08:45:24 pm by Maximiliuss

• SomeBK
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #26
I switched to GS hybrid and use leather armor with a hoodie. I can use a q4 feather for 0 encumbrance but that is too try hard for me. I use those on special occasions.

I can pretty much only use debuffs and drains (shit build don't judge) but let me tell you how easy it is to sneak up on someone and kill 'em dead. Seize is a wonderful tool. If someone hastes me I can clean up a mage in seconds. If someone pops a wof, likely someone will die. A full melee deals rougly 2 more dmg per swing than I do with some extra atk speed and has an additional 6 protection more than I do butI have to try and mitigate that with buffs.

When you use a robe, you are going to die to transmute bows. So if you see a mage running away from you and he is in robes, you are bad.

But more on the topic of utility, Melee is a utility that mages DO NOT have. You talk about melee/archer needs more utility? You can unburden and use a hasted darkscepter with duration to blind. You can still begone, launch, use mounts for mounted combat, drain, debuff. You have a whirlwind, power attack, SEIZE, knock back, DISABLE ON BOTH MELEE AND ARCHERY.

You want more mobility? Drop your melee titles, soften up your armor and pick up some magic. Because you can't have the greatness of melee superpowers and the ability to knock someone 1ft and hop to your death like a guy in robes can.

BTW for the last time for all the people who aren't good at the bhop, it is safer to bhop in leather than it is to bhop in robes. It is better to do it with a black bolt than it is with a corpsecaller. 10 fall damage and 10 stam vs 90 and 90.

#Magefall?
#BuffNecro

TLDR; that kid is bad, ignore this all together.

Preach

Reply #27

Yeah i didnt think so....

• SomeBK
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #28

Yeah i didnt think so....
I know you didn't tough guy. Again, not that hard to refer to the designated thread

Reply #29
"i got hit once in melee as a mage pls buff mage flying selfbuff pls"

first thing they should do is restrict all spells behind titles, every player having otherbuffs/stamdrain/etc. is fucking stupid and nearly forces everyone to grind most spellschools up
  • Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 03:43:21 am by mongoloid123