Skip to main content

Topic: upkeep / city costs (Read 228 times) previous topic - next topic

upkeep / city costs
@Ub3rgames Upkeep should require gold. It was meant to be like this but you changed it to clan meditation points. A mistake. Almost everything that gives mp gives gold too. People acquire gold "on the side" while getting mp for clan. Look what you did to economy. People do not want to sell for gold any more. No one needs it.

Also living out of NPC city should require some form of "upkeep". Solid prices for crafting station usage (the more advanced the craft the more the payment), solid prices for 10km bind location and maybe even for bank space. Chaos banks could be free. Chaos cities - up for debate.

You look for ways to give holdings value - here you have it. You can give value to player holdings by making living out of NPC cities more costly  (and even more costly for advanced players). At the same time this change introduces gold sinks we need. And it simply makes sense to pay upkeep in gold. And to pay for services in NPC holdings.

As a bonus we get this interesting dynamic of large clans that own holdings looking for gold while offering high end crafted items and resources, while smaller clans (one holding, or even no holdings) looking to buy these items with gold they do not spend on upkeep or NPC crafting stations.
  • Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 02:18:39 pm by wildNothing

Re: upkeep / city costs
Reply #1
i like this idea

Reply #2
Crafting gold costs instead. Having more than one holding can be punished with extra gold costs, but not if you only have one holding.

Edit: Actually this could have a good effect on current population as well.

1 holding med cost like now.
2 holding, extra gold cost, whatever amount, let Uber decide. (+the usually meditation as before)
3 holding even more gold cost.

If you have active members that can populate and use that extra hamlet or two, you afford the cost, but this also means if someone goes roaming, they have a chance to find ppl there.
If you don't have active member, you drop the holding, ppl don't bother checking that city for no reason, population gets more concentrated.
If you try to play the system with alt clans, well, it's annoying to gather the med points with all those alts, doable ofc, but most would just concentrate over one area, meaning you get 1 holding for 1 small clan where you can find them.

All you need now is to give holdings value.
  • Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 11:38:36 am by Eilistraee
IGN: "Eilis Traee"
However, you have to take into account why we are introducing local banking.
In New Dawn, its main purpose is to be a convenience feature.
"Things just got worse."

Reply #3
Crafting gold costs instead. Having more than one holding can be punished with extra gold costs, but not if you only have one holding.
Crafting costs are the same in your holding and in NPC city, while NPC city gives you much more protection. This is wrong. It makes crafting in your own city less desirable than in starter NPC city. I think crafting in NPC city should have additional cost attached - crafting station rental. The more advanced the craft the higher the cost.

Same with 10km bind/spawn location - it should cost weekly to have it set in NPC city (you need to pay local arcanist or mage for that, something like this).

And definitely no extra costs for having more holdings (or less cost for having only one). There should be no punishment for expansion in conquest based game. Each holding should have a flat upkeep cost. Known up front. And I don't see any problem if the upkeep cost was in gold and not meditation points. Where do you see a problem with upkeep (even for only holding) requiring gold? Actually clan meditation points are a problem - a separate entity that you cannot do anything with. In a game that needs tools and possibilities they introduced something you can do nothing with (you can't sell it or trade). A wasted opportunity for added dynamic.
  • Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 02:20:08 pm by wildNothing

Reply #4
bump

• Otis
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
but these crafting changes will only impact the small % of population that craft

Reply #6
Crafting and upkeep are two separate but not equal beasts. Let me tell you this, when they start charging a sub, keeping multiple holdings is going to be a chore with the current VCP timers.

Reply #7
Crafting and upkeep are two separate but not equal beasts. Let me tell you this, when they start charging a sub, keeping multiple holdings is going to be a chore with the current VCP timers.
Could be. So it will make player holdings even less desirable. While in the conquest game it should be the other way around.
That's why I think gold would be better for upkeep - you can acquire it in more ways than meditation points. Also everyone can contribute, you don't need to force pve or force travel in localized world (villages). You can make your gold while trading (lol) and still pay for your holding.

Plus we need gold sinks. Originally it was meant to be like that. CBA to check it but I guess it is still like this in game description at the main page - that upkeep is payed with gold.