Skip to main content

Topic: Raw magic / infliction magic builds? (Read 165 times) previous topic - next topic

Raw magic / infliction magic builds?
I know it might be lackluster, but any builds or playstyles around either of these 2 titles?

I have 55 raw intensify and 35 infliction intensify, looking to see if anyone's dabbled with a somewhat successful raw or infliction build for 1v1 or group playstyles?

-edit- oops forgot to change subforum
  • Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 08:43:33 pm by Mordisk

Re: Raw magic / infliction magic builds?
Reply #1
I know it might be lackluster, but any builds or playstyles around either of these 2 titles?

I have 55 raw intensify and 35 infliction intensify, looking to see if anyone's dabbled with a somewhat successful raw or infliction build for 1v1 or group playstyles?

Infliction is not bad raw isnt so hot and is really only good against heavies, but so is infliction though overall stronger so i wouldnt recommend both unless you really like the title spells.

Reply #2
I've had Raw magic since launch, but I sometimes pick things just to be different, I'm not someone that chases the established meta.  I'm waiting on the Missile Fury changes before I decide whether to drop it or not. I don't think I've ever encountered anyone else using Raw magic since Ub3rgames removed the knock up on the bolt.

Currently there is one strong spell in Raw magic, everything else in the school is weak to pathetic. So if you were making a build that incorporates Raw, it's based around that one good spell, Burden. Burden is used to shut down a mages utility and slow their casting speed. I'm skeptical about Raw being good against heavies, resists have to be pretty high for Raw to catch up in stat damage to other schools like Air/Water, and all the spells are slow travel speed so harder to hit with. If someone is rolling around in full Infernal or Dragon, maybe Raw is useful.

Reply #3
Yes, I know all that mycke thanks.  I'm looking for a more detailed response though.  Burden is sweet and so is toxic rain, but if I title to get them... that's all I would use from those schools similar to how one would pick necro just for eye rot.  I'm looking for what might be paired best with them, to make use of the school besides just the signature spell, if even possible.

Raw magic damage looks to be a joke and as you said infliction isn't much better.  Though, I might consider arcane with raw to unlock wall of force to land the burden with ease.  Use arcane bolt and occasionally blast I guess?  Spell chanting or witchcraft looks tempting for extra self heals and group utility which unlocks an arguably unfavored playstyle.

The only real reason to pick raw magic title would be unlocking burden spell and never cast any other spells from thst school.  Infliction is a bit different because it has it's own spell rotation kit making it a bit more difficult to cycle in other direct damage spells unless that's the idea?  Infliction and air titles seem to have synergy in the attrition aspect of fighting stats.

Really baked and theorycrafting out my ass here. 

What does burden debuff for anyway, and what's the average duration?

Reply #4
Helwyr, what titles do u use?  I was a fan of burden in indev, I know it's strength.  I'm really tempted to drop quick caster and break from single school mage to 2nd school title just for burden.  I would mess around with builds and change all my titles that are sitting at 100 but.. i dont have the balls to yet.

Reply #5
[...]
What does burden debuff for anyway, and what's the average duration?

Well that depends obviously on your spell level, mage staff, and encumbrance. Unencumbered 35 to low/mid 40s encumbrance added. Duration is very long, I can't remember exactly off hand but I think it was close to 50 seconds. So if you land that on a mage it can be pretty devastating if they don't have a potion to clear it.  Keep in mind Ub3rgames in their plans has Burden slated for a nerf, if they do that and don't change Unburden in the Cantrips school, Burden will be next to useless. I really think they should leave its magnitude as it, but nerf it's duration to the duration of other debuffs. While at the same time take Unburden completely out of the equation. That IMO would be balanced, but who knows what Ub3r will do.

I would wait for the remaining magic changes before I switched to Raw Magic. There's better than even odds you will be wasting your time.

Reply #6
Helwyr, what titles do u use?  I was a fan of burden in indev, I know it's strength.  I'm really tempted to drop quick caster and break from single school mage to 2nd school title just for burden.  I would mess around with builds and change all my titles that are sitting at 100 but.. i dont have the balls to yet.

Well let me preface this with saying I am not a great Darkfall PvPer and I don't necessarily pick things because I think they're the best statistically. Some time ago when my clan and I were doing PvP and friendly practice duels and the like regularly my build was an attempt at what I considered to be true hybrid, basically a build that used melee and magic equally. Which is another way of saying Raw magic wasn't my build's only handicap. It was GA, combo Warrior, combo Raw, wearing a mix of studded, bone and a cloth hood. Putting aside my own failings, I think it did reasonably well in our many group duels if the other side had mages.  The biggest failing was ranged damage. If I was to re attempt that build again and try and make it the best it could be I would go with GS, Archery, combo Raw, Spare. It would be a build that in terms of Titles sacrifices 5% melee and archery potency of your typical melee archery, and in terms of armor sacrifices more potency and some protection in return for greater mobility, better use of spells like slashing/piercing debuff, Tornado, stam leech, and of course Burden. I think that would be a build that could work, but it would be far from optimal. I don't think any real hybrid build will be optimal with the way Armor traits currently work.

Right now I've changed everything, other than ironically Raw Magic, which will also be changed if I don't like what I see with the final coming magic changes. No point talking about my current build other than saying I've moved from what I was calling a true hybrid to a mage with some melee. But I haven't so much as dueled with it, so no point commenting on how effective I think it might be. Like a lot of players, I'm just not playing much these days.
  • Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 10:12:29 pm by Helwyr

Reply #7
I've given a solid chance to 9/10 of the magic schools in DF ND.

Raw I would say is the worst of the bunch. Burden is good, but the duration is lackluster. Infliction isnt as bad, but honestly you're better off taking air and using toxic rain from infliction.

Reply #8
[...] Burden is good, but the duration is lackluster. [...]

After seeing you post that I went and tested thinking maybe there had been some undocumented changes. Wearing extravagant robes/assassin hood, deer stick, 2% effective potency from titles, and 75 Burden the duration was 50 seconds. Compare that to 23 seconds with the Necro melee prot debuff, albeit only 57 in the spell and a little less in school skills etc 17% in Title duration vs 20%. But it's not getting higher than 25 even if all the Necro stuff was exactly the same as my Raw.

If 50 seconds is not long enough. How long do you think the debuff should last?

Reply #9
If 50 seconds is not long enough. How long do you think the debuff should last?

Permanent, only removeable via cash shop item.
I dueled him once and was in control first half of the fight and then food buff wore out and not noticing lost, so he did win but hes by no means any better a player than I.