Skip to main content

Topic: Has anyone figured out how to pvp with witchcraft? Necro? (Read 705 times) previous topic - next topic

Has anyone figured out how to pvp with witchcraft? Necro?
I am trying witchcraft/necro and although the damage of witchcraft is good, It's a PITA to land dps when compared with splash from r90's and r50 spam. Also necro leech seems weak since I can't put opponents on the defensive due to lack of stat drains.

Re: Has anyone figured out how to pvp with witchcraft? Necro?
Reply #1
As i said in another thread, it seems to me that WC is just like playing "hard-mode" and, apart for you just wanting to do that, there is little reasons why anyone would choose that school.
The dmg is not high enough to justify the increased difficulty at actually landing hits, nor the debuffs are impactful enough on your enemy.
The concept idea behind the school is cool.....but in the real world, it is just too much of an hassle to use, and with no real benefit for doing it instead of a more "classical" school with rays, r90, aoe

On necro, i don't know with the new changes, so i can't comment on that. Personally i prefer dealing more hp dmg than secondary stats dmg, but it is a personal flavor, so i wouldn't be too worried about the loss of the secondary stats. I've read, though, that the hp leech is definitely not cutting it so it either needs a bit of a bump on that part or it needs a bit more base dmg on its spells maybe (which would also have the bonus of indirectly buffing the leech too)

Reply #2
I decided to try witchcraft first hand.

Great concept but poorly executed.

Damage is small compared to the debuff but the debuff makes very little difference.  With 50 intensify and 100 in spells, even a backshot weakness followed by a backshot intelligence debuff only makes spells do 1 less point of damage on mages and the mana pool remains high enough to function.

If you try using witchcraft 20% into a fight, the debuffs are pointless as enemies are already below what the debuff accomplishes.

I'll test strength debuff tonight since I'm much higher level but my first impressions from a month ago is the damage reduction against melee was very minor.

Tongue rot seems to have a 70% chance to reduce caster effectiveness by 50% (a bolt that dealt 30 deals 15 instead). But it's RNG. I need to do more testing to see the actual %. This was out of 30 casts.

The r90 aoe nuke shares cooldown with your other r90s and the stat debuffs make very little difference. Better off just throwing a better r90.

For the signatures... The debuff makes your debuffs better and stacks. But the stacking effect is minor.

Witches Brew is..... Okay..... They should increase the aoe of it. Doesn't seems to match the cast animation. It heals allies for about 39 points though, which is nice.

I but the bullet and leveled air and have noticed a significant improvement in offensive ability. The stamina drain is extremely op. You really lock down opponents once their stam is gone. As mentioned in another thread, this should be water title locked effect...
I bring up air not to derail but to express the idea of using witchcraft over the meta is pointless unless you want "hard mode" for some stupid reason.

I'll continue to try and find a good cycle with witchcraft since I've invested in it.
85% /s

• Giant
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
What does WB heal you for?

Reply #4
85% /s

Reply #5
Would be cool to have a school with zounds of debuffs where each of them increases the damage of a title spell, or zounds of dots that get refreshed if title spell lands direct hit, thus if all dots/debuffs applied you get very good dps. Could make fight more tactical, hide, squirrel at the right time.

Oh wait, that's more than an xml change, nvm.

Reply #6
Tongue rot % to trigger is expressed as a decimal. So 0.3 is 30% chance to trigger. The end result being is about 15% damage reduction to spells which is easily countered by a self buff.

The Nuke, omnious drain, deals all three stat damage. The overall drain is pretty decent but I dont value this as much since it has no knock up.

I did find a use for witchcraft but not for a mage.

Air is just op right now. The floating effect, the utility, and stam drain is too much. In dfo only exploding charge was used, the other spells sucked.

GM marc must be an air mage.

Reply #7
My update on necro:

Tongue rot was the most useful spell but that 30% against a mage ended up only working 10%-20% of the time (i assume gear changes this fail rate??)
and you don't need the title to cast it...

I dropped the title and moved on. Not looking back.
85% /s

Reply #8
Out of 5 buddies that used Necromancy title before Necro patch:
* 4 dropped it
* 1 is still deciding, but is close to dropping it

Maybe Unholy Damage should have kept 10% stam & 10% mana damage or something...

PS did anyone test Necro title + Necro Sitrha - does it heal you?

Still a member of SaltyBitches™ Club

Reply #9
I experimented with earth + necro right before launch, and was so close to sticking with it, but opted out because it was such a hassle. Now I wish I had stuck with it, because it is flawless for heavy hybrids.

Land physical debuffs, and close the distance with earth spells doing even more damage due to physical protection reductions from debuffs. When you are in melee range, the debuff should still be lingering, so you get a few high damage melee hits in. Rinse and repeat with higher survivability from a stronger vamp touch as well. I swear, piercing debuff + impale is pretty insane damage as I remembered it. I was just spamming those two, and machinegunned people down with a corpsecaller.

Oops, maybe I shouldn't have revealed this meta before fully investing in it myself :o

It is ofcourse a high maintenance build, but with an earth transmuted staff or corpsecaller, with necro debuffs, the earth spells do insane damage (insane being higher than other schools). The combo is strong for "anti-mage" hybrid builds as well as heavy or skirmishers, where you can purposefully land the necro AoE to blind mages while you roll into a stickyback. Mages have an impossible time using begone on you while in the surging lag bomb. Likewise you got pungent mist for skirmishers or other meleers, with the necro debuffs giving you an edge.
  • Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 10:30:52 pm by Xipos

Reply #10
Out of 5 buddies that used Necromancy title before Necro patch:
* 4 dropped it
* 1 is still deciding, but is close to dropping it

Maybe Unholy Damage should have kept 10% stam & 10% mana damage or something...

PS did anyone test Necro title + Necro Sitrha - does it heal you?
I experimented with earth + necro right before launch, and was so close to sticking with it, but opted out because it was such a hassle. Now I wish I had stuck with it, because it is flawless for heavy hybrids.

Land physical debuffs, and close the distance with earth spells doing even more damage due to physical protection reductions from debuffs. When you are in melee range, the debuff should still be lingering, so you get a few high damage melee hits in. Rinse and repeat with higher survivability from a stronger vamp touch as well. I swear, piercing debuff + impale is pretty insane damage as I remembered it. I was just spamming those two, and machinegunned people down with a corpsecaller.

Oops, maybe I shouldn't have revealed this meta before fully investing in it myself :o

It is ofcourse a high maintenance build, but with an earth transmuted staff or corpsecaller, with necro debuffs, the earth spells do insane damage (insane being higher than other schools). The combo is strong for "anti-mage" hybrid builds as well as heavy or skirmishers, where you can purposefully land the necro AoE to blind mages while you roll into a stickyback. Mages have an impossible time using begone on you while in the surging lag bomb. Likewise you got pungent mist for skirmishers or other meleers, with the necro debuffs giving you an edge.

I dropped it but regret it - or regret it not working well anymore, not sure which.

It went with my melee archer really well. The debuffs peel 5 to 7 off  them with full leather encumbrance and the leech just rounded things out. But the drop in damage made it Go from effective to ehh

Reply #11
Ive only had one real fight where I intentional used necro because I was despawning a mount and was attacked from behind so I figured id use necro to dps while healing some back and in that case it seemed pretty effective because it allowed me to be completely offensive while restating from a bad start.

That said im not sure the other player was good enough for it to matter and im still up in the air about it, but do feel it has tactical uses in some fighting situations, just not sure its overall worth or not.

Reply #12
but do feel it has tactical uses in some fighting situations

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  • Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 11:53:34 am by wildNothing

• SomeBK
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
That fucking picture lmfao
Fair enough ill be there, Actually can we do it Thurs
(ive been lugging boxes of books all morning from a collection I bought and a little beat)

• Giant
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
I've started a new char to make a Mage, and have taken Air for main damage, with Necro, mainly for the two signature spells, which are brilliant spells, and for the aoe in large fights! If Eyerot and leech wasn't locked behind Necro, I would just have gone Air!