Skip to main content

Topic: DND First Pass at Racial Wars (RW)  (Read 385 times) previous topic - next topic

DND First Pass at Racial Wars (RW)
I think we are still many months away before @Ub3rgames will start working on Racial Wars but here is a first pass I think is doable in a short time.

Objective:
Create a very basic Racial Wars framework using existing in game mechanics for quick development and short turn around.

Each Racial Alliance (Faction) will be able to earn Racial Alliance Points (RAP) through various activities.  The 'win' condition is the faction that will first reaches 1,000,000 points. The Racial Alliance Point counter will then reset back to 0 for 7 days.  Game will allow race change during this time. Hopefully a free transfer to the faction with lowest points.

Earning Racial Alliance Points will be distributed/capped by
  • 65% PvP activity
  • 25% PvE activity
  • 10% Others

PvP (65% capped)
Existing Objectives
-Daily points rewarded from number of holding owned by racial alliance (RA)
-If VCP Capped by blue clan then corresponding faction will be rewarded points.
-If Sea Tower is Capped by blue clan that faction will be reward points

New Objectives
-Similar to VCP these micro control points (just a statue) will mostly located in border area can be captured every hour. Each captured point will rewards points. These control points resets to neutral after 60 min.
-Random giant chest will spawn in the world and the approximate sector will be announced. These chests will have a quest item that will need to be brought back to capital councilor to get points.
-Land Tower: Each week at certain time the bindstone of one center chaos cities (Hintenfau or Espenhal or Ottenhal) will randomly becomes vulnerable.  The race that 'captures' it earns lots of points. Regardless the city will still remain Chaos.

PvE (25% capped)
-Each Champion killed reward some points
-Each Quest completed reward points
-Each high level monster killed rewards points

Others (10% capped)
-Each treasure map turned in gives points
-Selling used armor to Capitol Councilor rewards points. Higher the rank better.
-Donate gold to councilor to earn points.

What other exitings mechanism can be recycle for Racial War with minimum coding/artwork?

Re: DND First Pass at Racial Wars (RW)
Reply #1
How about we start with some basics like:

* Guard Tower policy can now be set to "don't shoot at blues of your own race"
* Allies of ARAC/Red clans become Rogue
Wyverex Erisian, SG of Scrubs

Still a member of SaltyBitches™ Club

Reply #2
You talk a lot about different ways to earn "points" to win a victory, but little about what is won and lost.

For racial alliance wars to work there must be shared potential to gain and to lose something that really matters to players. Also racial changes as you suggested would be very detrimental, the easy racial changes Ub3r have been handing out need to end once racial war fronts becomes a thing in the live game. The reason being is the game needs to foster racial alliance identity in the player base, I think "realm pride" is the term used in RvR games. But to put it in DF context being able to easily switch racial alliances would be akin to players constantly switching clans.  In fact a lot of the importance of clans in DF needs to be transferred to racial alliances. I know a lot of DF Vets will absolutely hate and reject that idea, but it's critical for this game moving forward both for the success of racial war fronts and opening of the game to new players and making it more accessible to a broader audience. Doesn't mean Clans and clan warfare doesn't exist, but in terms of mechanics it needs to take a back seat to the racial alliances.

In the short term Wyverex has it right, small concrete steps that can be added within the next patch or two are what should be done, and what we should realistically expect.

Reply #3

You can set them to attack enemies only- which means they will leave racial blues alone. Same with the bank, you can leave it closed to enemies only.

• Kenman
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
100% yes.

Points rewarded only if you stay positive alignment.
Only if youre in a positive alignment based clan.

Great ideas. Every activity earns points as long as you are of positive alignment.

No negative alignment rewards. Encourage players to fight in the racial warfronts.

Rewards for points should be things that affect the warfront.
twitch.tv/KenMan

Reply #5
I don't like it. I'm not even going to offer constructive criticism here because I'm tired of suggesting things that would just make no sense for ub3r to work on.
-SG of Garbage Men (Wolf/Ork)
Always recruiting new and old players.

Reply #6
I fail to see how this would be doable in a short time.

What we need are small things like the 2 @Wyverex suggested. Especially the rogue status for arac allies. What happened to that @Ub3rgames ?

Reply #7

You can set them to attack enemies only- which means they will leave racial blues alone. Same with the bank, you can leave it closed to enemies only.
This is our current setting, and while it leaves our blues alone, it's pretty useless. Our guard tower is set to attack enemies only - and it does not attack anyone we're not at war with.

For clarity - we're an Alfar-only, Blue-only clan. Our policy is set to "Attack enemies only". It does not attack Red Alfars, it does not attack Blue Humans. So our towers end up being pretty useless...
  • Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 06:52:49 pm by Wyverex
Wyverex Erisian, SG of Scrubs

Still a member of SaltyBitches™ Club

Reply #8
Its absolutely stupid that the player city settings go from allies to everyone not at war with no inbetween for racial alliance only

Reply #9
Let blue race allies respawn at holding bindstones. Add markets to holdings. Hell while were at it make it so races own holdings instead of clans. Go full rvr it's what race wars really is anyway. 

Reply #10
This is a mid term plan and anything small that can be patched should be done so without waiting.

Absolutely this should be in yesterday but hopefully in next partch.

You talk a lot about different ways to earn "points" to win a victory, but little about what is won and lost.

I purposely left it out because I don't know what should be the rewards for winning beside bragging rights. We have to be careful not to make winning team even more stronger with rewards.

For racial alliance wars to work there must be shared potential to gain and to lose something that really matters to players. Also racial changes as you suggested would be very detrimental, the easy racial changes Ub3r have been handing out need to end once racial war fronts becomes a thing in the live game. The reason being is the game needs to foster racial alliance identity in the player base, I think "realm pride" is the term used in RvR games. But to put it in DF context being able to easily switch racial alliances would be akin to players constantly switching clans.

I agree in principle but what if you are constantly on the weakest faction? People will eventually quit because their faction is hopeless. Many vets would want a challenge and will be motivated to join the weaker side.

Reply #11
I purposely left it out because I don't know what should be the rewards for winning beside bragging rights. We have to be careful not to make winning team even more stronger with rewards.

"Bragging rights" can work with the e-ego crowd that we have in Darkfall, but those same sort players are unlikely to embrace the whole racial alliance concept. This is especially the case where they're more likely to get their "bragging rights" and feed their e-ego by achieving things themselves or in a small clan. There may be other ways of drawing such players into racial alliance wars, but that's for another post. For other players, there's fairly large contingent that are very risk adverse, so high stakes have to be there that will impact them personally whether they choose to be involved or not. The rewards/penalties need to impact all facets of the game, PvP bonuses, PvE and harvesting resource rates, and character progression.

I agree in principle but what if you are constantly on the weakest faction? People will eventually quit because their faction is hopeless. Many vets would want a challenge and will be motivated to join the weaker side.

This is the the dilemma for these games. Play to Crush, crush, the losers leave, eventually there's no one left for the winners to fight,  and game over. But it's not like something new is being introduced in a full loot game like Darkfall a lot of players that repeatably lose in PvP will quit. Some clans will fold and quit in the same manner. The stakes are already high. At least with racial alliances the new, bad, and even average player is part of something larger that likely includes some of the better players, and as a last resort NPC cities that cannot be taken or overrun.

Yes many Vets will claim to want a challenge, but propose very harsh penalties for being ARAC for instance and see how most of this is just empty posturing as the objections come pouring in. Most DF vets will flock to whatever they think will give them the greatest chance of winning. But sure there are players like this to one degree or another both Vet and non Vet that would deliberately choose the weakest options for a challenge. I think more broadly there's those that like being the outnumbered underdog to an extent, and that was the whole Alfar concept, although historically it never played out that way.