Skip to main content

Topic: What is the official view on RED players? (Read 1505 times) previous topic - next topic

What is the official view on RED players?
Reds seems to be hated and people are claiming that the reds destroy the game by driving away the new players. 
There seems to be no end to the punishment REDs should get.
As a red player I get a bit worried, maybe this game is "Conquest only"

Is the goal to remove red players from the game by punishing them hard enough?
Or should it be a viable career to be a RED?  

I hope the latter, as I Like playing as RED. I would simply not play the game if it did not facilitate this game play.
Consider this list of misconceptions and facts about REDs:

1. Misconception about driving away new players.
As a RED, there is no point in killing the new players. They have shit loot! 
The good loot is found around high end spawns, farmed by the Elite.
The only RED killing a new Blue is a new RED, which is quite fair tbh. If people get discouraged from getting killed early on, then they will leave this game anyway. Plenty of games that offers a more "fun" coop experience.
And lastly, if the current state is that RED players just kill to kill, not to loot, then the problem is that everything is worthless in this game.

2. REDs break up the grind and provide some adrenaline to the victims. Many times the blue players simply get away, or even manage to fight back and kill the RED. This is an improvement to an otherwise boring grind.

3. REDs limit the Altfall problem by killing gathering alts.
Why should it be safe to put an account to farm iron or wood outside of city without consequence?

4. REDs are severly punished as is. Its a bloody hard life. The most of the day you run around searching for someone to kill, or running away/hiding from someone. This is severely inefficient! The ones who gather in clans and farm get a ton of resources and skill points while the RED almost nothing. REDs will lag so much behind in skills that their always at disadvantage.

5. REDs are not interested in taking away more than needed. In fact, it would be better to leave the farming gear to the victim to make sure there is someone farming the spawn next time.

5. REDs make things more valuable. By limiting the "safe farming" options, things are harder to get and therefore more valuable.

6. REDs often loose themselves. When you travel around solo or in a small group, it is inevitable that you will run into a big group of players who just rolls over you. There is absolutely nothing you can do, and there tend to be a lot of these around. You cant be in a big group yourself because it would not be enough loot to split.

And from the current discussions I gather that:
1. Reds should loose their meditation points. To make sure its not viable to be a RED.
2. Loot should be damaged upon death. To make sure that the RED player do not have the opportunity to get decent equipment. Taking away all possibility to give or sell the Equipment back to the victim, and frankly making loot worthless.

It seems that everyone is confused. The problem is not RED players, the problem might be the elitist clan players who maxed out their characters and have nothing to do, then go red. With max skills they have an easy time killing everyone and their not even interested in loot because their bank is full and nothing is of value anymore. 
This problem can only be addressed by making things more rare, and to create some resource sinks.

So again, should REDs be allowed to play this game in a viable way?

Re: What is the official view on RED players?
Reply #1
No benefit to being blue when you're in a clan, all it does is limit your PVP content, which is why everyone went Red in DFO, and is why everyone will go Red and get a blue alt to travel to sanguine (if the clan really needs anything from there anyways).

The only reason I went Red is because I wanted to fight wolves on yssam at the start of the game, and seeing as how PVP is pretty much the only decent content Darkfall provides...

The only reason I kill noobs is I happen upon them as I travel around, and seeing as how my bank is in humanlands, and I'm stuck in humanlands... They wouldn't make me go red anyways, since I'm Alfar.

There really is no reason for me to even be blue, I don't even live near Alfar lands lol.

You want a meaningful alignment system, hardcode the Race Alliance, otherwise, *fart noise*.
  • Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 02:39:11 am by Seronys

This is DND, not any other iteration of DF. Everything is slower, and more local. It is the way it is.

• SoethThoth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
They are trying to foster cooperation among the races for the racial wars which will be entry level large scale PVP when they patch in warfronts.

If you want to kill your own race or its allies then your life will be made difficult, but its just a more arduous playstyle, not that they are trying to get rid of reds.

And Ub3rgames said; It is the way it is, and it was. 8)

Reply #3
The problem is not reds the problem is the missing mechanics to deal with them so only good players can play that way and not just every scrub with a chance at a lucky kill or adhd kid too lazy to hunt other races.

The game needs some reds and aracs but only 1/4 or less of pop so the world is fundamentally civilized, but right now people are playing with the current mechanics and more and more are going red, many of which will be whining up a storm once they have to pay the cost of that freedom.

Reply #4
whining up a storm once they have to pay the cost of that freedom.

By cost you mean waiting 30 days to pray to go blue and by whining you mean quitting.

This is DND, not any other iteration of DF. Everything is slower, and more local. It is the way it is.

Reply #5

By cost you mean waiting 30 days to pray to go blue and by whining you mean quitting.

Yet another derail by Zero Lifts.

If you had read Mycke's post you would see that it is very well rounded, as he describe a genuine concern while highlighting the blatant and obvious complaining from those who are in fact abusing said system.

Sort yourself out. #jordanpeterson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjpuxiV-_Es
"Gotta put the master encryption code here..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=975oMBaK9gM

Reply #6
Yet another derail by Zero Lifts.

If you had read Mycke's post you would see that it is very well rounded, as he describe a genuine concern while highlighting the blatant and obvious complaining from those who are in fact abusing said system.

Sort yourself out. #jordanpeterson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjpuxiV-_Es

I seriously need to get that restraining order.

If you understood how the game works, you'd understand that any reason harsh enough to not be red would mean no one would be red, and if that change were to occur, people would have to wait a month to go back to blue, which just isn't practical, especially since all it takes is 1 blue to fuck up that month and set you back.

But again, you're just a random yes-man shill that doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

More anime shitposts trip, seriously dude.

• SoethThoth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
Hey guys what do youll think of my new avatar?

Hey @tripbunny you have a cool new avatar too

neato

• Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 03:54:33 am by SoethThoth

And Ub3rgames said; It is the way it is, and it was. 8)

Reply #8
So one problem is that there is no incentives to be blue.
So rather than punishing poor RED roaches, how about simply making blue clans have a benefit instead, for example, how about enabling the option to put guard towers on cities and holding of blue clans?

And of course the RED/BLUE clan mix should not be allowed. But there will still be blue alts trading with reds, outside of clan.
This is impossible to limit.
And were supposed to be able to trade, preferably at the chaos city black markets.

As for the sociopaths your describing, I really don't think they are able to make such a big impact.
With or without them, this game does not shine inside of starter cities.
The new player protection is  already fixing this, if insufficient it can be prolonged.

Reply #9

30 days of praying is too generous.  Reds should have unlimited negative alignment.   It's too easy to gather up med points and gold then take a break from active play for a month.   Going red should be a serious, permanent commitment, not an occasional diversion every few months.    

I agree, I also think if a red dies their character should be deleted.

Reply #10
A lot of things listed in the OP as benefits of Reds, is achievable by Blue players of other Racial alliances. Few have a problem with Reds existing, rather the lack of consequences for being one in previous Darkfalls. Ub3rgames is fixing that, and it's an absolute must for their goal of racial alliance warfare focus, and more trust between players within each alliance.

Reply #11
Hrmm, how did EVE tackle the issue, HRMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

How did Albion tackle the issue, HRMMMMMMMMMMM. LET'S PUT OUR HEADS TOGETHER AND BRAINSTORM.
  • Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 04:42:23 am by Seronys

Reply #12
First, they did not make races red to each other, DF however is designed so that you can freely grief a Mahirim if you are an Alfar fx.

Secondly, they let them play, they had low security systems and even no security systems with  "chaos stations" for players to live in.
The safe area was however big enough for players to thrive in for a long time, before going to space without security.
And in the end the big alliances made the deepest of low security space somewhat like "player provided" security.

And then they had war declarations, allowing clans to kill each other without alignment consequence.
  • Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 04:50:24 am by Cyborgmuppet

Reply #13
Hrmm, how did EVE tackle the issue, HRMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

How did Albion tackle the issue, HRMMMMMMMMMMM. LET'S PUT OUR HEADS TOGETHER AND BRAINSTORM.

We don't need high sec space or whatever it's called.  If a red player cannot bank in / around the main cities via blue alts, the problem is mostly solved.   It means reds can only pass through (raid), not live there by proxy of the blue alt.

This still allows danger for new-ish players (or more roleplay oriented types, whatever) but doesn't let a cancer get established and grow.

If a red force can actually obtain a holding in a homeland area, then it will become a fixed target for constant attack and sieging.

I'm curious what you think is stopping a red force from doing such. Especially since We've been doing it since server up.

Do you expect RA clans to do that? Because that literally sounds like a reason to go Red, and not be blue, lol, sounds like fun.

Reply #14
30 days of praying is too generous.  Reds should have unlimited negative alignment.   It's too easy to gather up med points and gold then take a break from active play for a month.   Going red should be a serious, permanent commitment, not an occasional diversion every few months.    

Oh fuck off. Logging out for a month is too easy? How can you possibly come to that conclusion? Why don't we just ban people for PvP while we're at it?