Skip to main content

Poll

Should we moderate the forums?

• Yes
  • No

Topic: Poll: Should we moderate the forums? (Read 10346 times) previous topic - next topic

• SomeBK
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Poll: Should we moderate the forums?
Reply #255
@Ub3rgames will surely start aggressively moderating the forums when someone self harms due to the rampant bullying that @Ub3rgames allows to continue. But by that point they may find it's too late to start; they'll certainly be sued by family and investigated by France for allowing unregulated bullying in the first place and won't be able to fall back on ignorance that it's been happening.

@Ub3rgames  - the community has overwhelmingly voted in favour of moderation. Do it! Allow constructive criticism, but not toxicity or bullying.
Already happened during inDev with rawrgasm and his buddies finding naturezz's online dating profile and ubergames reluctantly stepped in and took care of it.

You're basically asking for these guys to hurry up and start monitoring online bullying when both offenders and victims have not revealed who their real identities are and are both discussing things pertaining to a video game whether directly or indirectly.

Do you know how odd that sounds?

Not odd at all. You don't need to know someone else's personal identity to bully them online.
True but you're asking a mom and pop dev studio to do this with people who have incognito names. Not even Facebook can effectively police online bullying and everyone knows each other.

You my friend are the new age of thinkers who want rules for everything, the police to investigate the work you listen to your next door neighbor doing and you probably call the cops if someone takes the parking spot you were patiently waiting in que for.

You want all these world issues taken care of by someone else and you want everyone to adhere to the rules yet you have not a care for who will pay to enforce these rules. You just automatically assume it will be taken care of.

Man up

Stop using pointless hyperbole. We're not talking about @Ub3rgames investigating individuals and reporting to the police (though they'll certainly find themselves in the middle of an investigation if something happens), but of them moderating the forums to remove toxicity and harassment. These have no place here, and they have a responsibility to moderate their forums, not to mention a legitimate business interest in doing so. The moment they decided to turn this into a business, they should have prepared for this. Better late than never, but they need to bring this on now.
This my friends is what's wrong in our real world today and these forums with the "importance" of moderation is a perfect example of it.

Snowflakes, betas, bitch boys etc. who are so affected they want a company to find a volunteer (yeah right) or a paid employee to sensor what they view when there's realistically maybe 20-40 people tops that frequent these boards on a daily basis for information and discussions on topics.

I'm not going to pick one of the many political debates people cry about in the real world because this isn't the place but my above examples are definitely not to come off as hyperboles. If you think they are then you've probably asked yourself if you're the type who can't confront someone in real life if they're in your seats at a ball game or if they took your parking spot.

You want rules for every aspect of your life including your experiences in a fucking video game forum when the forum has given you the plateform to simply figure out who the abusive posters are and simply block them.

Stay affected by what people post on the internet. It shows how cool you are
Fair enough ill be there, Actually can we do it Thurs
(ive been lugging boxes of books all morning from a collection I bought and a little beat)

Reply #256
@Ub3rgames will surely start aggressively moderating the forums when someone self harms due to the rampant bullying that @Ub3rgames allows to continue. But by that point they may find it's too late to start; they'll certainly be sued by family and investigated by France for allowing unregulated bullying in the first place and won't be able to fall back on ignorance that it's been happening.

@Ub3rgames  - the community has overwhelmingly voted in favour of moderation. Do it! Allow constructive criticism, but not toxicity or bullying.
Already happened during inDev with rawrgasm and his buddies finding naturezz's online dating profile and ubergames reluctantly stepped in and took care of it.

You're basically asking for these guys to hurry up and start monitoring online bullying when both offenders and victims have not revealed who their real identities are and are both discussing things pertaining to a video game whether directly or indirectly.

Do you know how odd that sounds?

Not odd at all. You don't need to know someone else's personal identity to bully them online.
True but you're asking a mom and pop dev studio to do this with people who have incognito names. Not even Facebook can effectively police online bullying and everyone knows each other.

You my friend are the new age of thinkers who want rules for everything, the police to investigate the work you listen to your next door neighbor doing and you probably call the cops if someone takes the parking spot you were patiently waiting in que for.

You want all these world issues taken care of by someone else and you want everyone to adhere to the rules yet you have not a care for who will pay to enforce these rules. You just automatically assume it will be taken care of.

Man up

Stop using pointless hyperbole. We're not talking about @Ub3rgames investigating individuals and reporting to the police (though they'll certainly find themselves in the middle of an investigation if something happens), but of them moderating the forums to remove toxicity and harassment. These have no place here, and they have a responsibility to moderate their forums, not to mention a legitimate business interest in doing so. The moment they decided to turn this into a business, they should have prepared for this. Better late than never, but they need to bring this on now.
This my friends is what's wrong in our real world today and these forums with the "importance" of moderation is a perfect example of it.

Snowflakes, betas, bitch boys etc. who are so affected they want a company to find a volunteer (yeah right) or a paid employee to sensor what they view when there's realistically maybe 20-40 people tops that frequent these boards on a daily basis for information and discussions on topics.

I'm not going to pick one of the many political debates people cry about in the real world because this isn't the place but my above examples are definitely not to come off as hyperboles. If you think they are then you've probably asked yourself if you're the type who can't confront someone in real life if they're in your seats at a ball game or if they took your parking spot.

You want rules for every aspect of your life including your experiences in a fucking video game forum when the forum has given you the plateform to simply figure out who the abusive posters are and simply block them.

Stay affected by what people post on the internet. It shows how cool you are

Judging by his(ooops sorry xe/xir) general manner and sig I have to assume Xe/Xir  consumes large amounts of soy based produce.
I only post when I'm bored at work, sue me.

Reply #257
in regards to ub3rs moderate the forums poll

today I would vote yes, though for transparency reasons no thread should be deleted but moved to a spam archive at the bottom of the froums.

Reply #258
you can vote however you'd like, but since development has stopped, it's irrelevant.

IE - Dead.

• Giant
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #259
Either moderate your forum, or shut down your forum.

Reply #260
Either moderate your forum, or shut down your forum.

With literally an entire page of "game's dead" spammers, it doesn't really leave much room for doubt on the required action.

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #261
I think they should take baby steps first.
1. read the forums
2. post on forums
3. moderate forums

You cannot moderate what you do not read.
You cannot redirect discussions without participating.
Therefor, you cannot moderate without step 1 and 2.

But well, closing it all together would at present be a step forward aswell.

• Hyld
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #262
I speculate that one of the possible explanations of Ub3rgames' silence on the forum is that they have released how it has been basically abandoned by the overwhelming majority of decent people and is now little more than a toxic playground for the demented Seronys/BlackmeatBrainKilled types...but seriously, how difficult would have been banning these noilfer cretins? We prayed for it many times...

Regards
HG
Never overestimate the intelligence of your fellow human being

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #263
Its not hard to ban somebody.
Its also not hard to make a new account.

Moderating is more than just banning a few accounts and calling it a day

• Hyld
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #264
Its not hard to ban somebody.
Its also not hard to make a new account.

Moderating is more than just banning a few accounts and calling it a day

Indeed...but for readers to see a few poor cretins openly  using the same account over and over to spout their negligible garbage is a very visible sign of surrendering to petty thugs.

SIGNS are as important as content if not more.

Banning cretins would have been an important sign.

Regards
HG
Never overestimate the intelligence of your fellow human being

Reply #265
Plus, if you ban email addresses, then to make a new DND account, they'd need to go through the hassle of making a new email account.  You wouldn't stop the mentally disturbed ones who would keep coming back, but you'd probably get 3/4 of them not willing to bother.

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #266
https://www.mailinator.com/
You can literally make anything and remember the password long enough to activate.
After that, who cares...
(also, did you know your browser can remember passwords and usernames, so really...its quite simple)

As for sending a message....
I understand banning them would give a better first impression of the boards. But if you actually bother to read it a few times in a week you will find one of these negative posts and at that point you begin to wonder howmuch is censord.

You need a CM to guide the forum into a healthy envoirment, with not only the tools and permissions...but also an hour or two every (other) week to discuss things with the devs that came up in the forum. Because people want answers at some point, not just a reply.

The dev's clearly dont have the time to do this, because it would be an hour or two a day minimum, but somebody who knows the game a bit and can give the standard responses and can get a discussion to a place where arguements and logic are applied to problems would be usefull. At that point he could take the distilled feedback in his (bi)weekly meeting and get the dev PoV on it.
He can then couple that back on the forums, all with the understanding that the CM isnt a real dev that makes decisions so his statements do not carry the same weight as uber's ofc.

Reply #267
I think I am too late to vote.

Reply #268
No moderation needed. Let people post "game's dead" all over.

Still a member of SaltyBitches™ Club