Darkfall: New Dawn

General => Guides and Player Help => Topic started by: nubnax on May 18, 2017, 11:26:31 am

Title: Guide to Weapons bar and Hotbar - How to set them up.
Post by: nubnax on May 18, 2017, 11:26:31 am
This guide is up to date for patch 6.0a

There are plenty of great things you can do with weapons bar and hotbar. In this guide I'll try to explain most of the settings that are at our disposal.
1. Basics about the weapons bar
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

picture 1 - weapons bar

2. Basics about hotbars

picture 2 - hotbar slot options

3. How to access options for a hotbar slot?

4. How to bind a key to a hotbar slot or weapon slot?

picture 3 - input binding options to set up hotbar slots

5. How to select a weapon and a skill/spell with the press of only one button?

6. Hotbar options explained

7. What's the difference between the selection modes for a hotbar multi-slot

8. How to use the mousewheel up and down to select weapons

9. How to set up contextual bindings for weapons

10. Examples:
1. Example - my self heal button setup:

2. Example - Greatsword Whirlwind Setup

3. Example -  Cooldown Management Hotbar Setup

PS: if you did changes to your UI and bindings relog to make sure they are saved up. Darkfall only saves changes to the config files if you properly exit it. If you crash or are disconnected from the server without doing this all your changes aren't saved and reset.
/gui_persist_save can also be used to save your changes to the config files but I think the devs said you should use this chat command at your own risk.
Title: Re: Guide to Weapons bar and Hotbar - How to set them up.
Post by: Eradore on May 18, 2017, 02:07:48 pm
haha:) you did it finaly Bala !! :)

amazing guide

Post by: Rokaroo on May 21, 2017, 06:48:48 am
Ty for this
Post by: Mycke on May 21, 2017, 07:47:31 am
Really Nice!
Post by: Fruition on May 21, 2017, 01:22:32 pm
VERY NICE!
Post by: lambdaExpression on May 22, 2017, 02:06:39 am
@nubnax please add a section on "guide to choosing your weapon / play style" .  What weapon, at what situation, against armor type, plus pro's and cons.  Great Sword was favorite but now Ub3r changed it so other weapon are also desirable. 
Post by: nubnax on May 22, 2017, 07:45:25 am
this guide is purely about setting up your hotbars and weapons bar. choosing your weapon or play style is in my opinion entirely out of scope for this guide. That topic should be it's own guide.
Post by: ironkid on May 23, 2017, 06:58:34 am
Good guide, this is the most challenging part of darkfall.
Post by: AkeGamer on May 27, 2017, 10:30:39 pm
So very helpful for the new player.  Thank you!
Post by: nubnax on June 30, 2017, 08:42:14 am
added contextual bindings for weapons
Post by: Bim Bam on July 07, 2017, 02:43:35 pm
Maybe i am doing something wrong but i have an issue with bindings.

I wanna double bind my hotkey for magic and melee use but it doesnt work properly. If i have a staff up and press R i get my fireball and other r50 spells ( all placed in cycle positon 1 to 3 in hotbar), when i have a melee weapon up when i press R i want disabling blow  (placed in last position under same position in hotbar), but i have to press it 2 times before the skill comes up. When i place disabling blow in first position it comes up when pressing hotkey one time but then my magic spells under same hotkey with staff up requires 2 times clicking before it comes up.

Can i make this work with magic and melee skill in one press withing this new hotbar system, if not i have to go back to a script set up.

Another issue with cycle hotkey function is that when i want to switch between 2 spells i have to press my hotkey 2 times to go to 2nd spell. I want the cycle option to function like a cycle option whould be and that is press hotkey 1 time 1st spell and then cast it press key again and then 2nd spell is selected.

In short how do i get rid of the double clicking to go to next spell in my cycle hotkey without having to go back to scripting.
Post by: TimothyJB on July 07, 2017, 02:51:58 pm

I wanna double bind my hotkey for magic and melee use but it doesnt work properly. If i have a staff up and press R i get my fireball and other r50 spells ( all placed in cycle positon 1 to 3 in hotbar), when i have a melee weapon up when i press R i want disabling blow  (placed in last position under same position in hotbar), but i have to press it 2 times before the skill comes up. When i place disabling blow in first position it comes up when pressing hotkey one time but then my magic spells under same hotkey with staff up requires 2 times clicking before it comes up.

Can i make this work with magic and melee skill in one press withing this new hotbar system, if not i have to go back to a script set up.

Another issue with cycle hotkey function is that when i want to switch between 2 spells i have to press my hotkey 2 times to go to 2nd spell. I want the cycle option to function like a cycle option whould be and that is press hotkey 1 time 1st spell and then cast it press key again and then 2nd spell is selected.

In short how do i get rid of the double clicking to go to next spell in my cycle hotkey without having to go back to scripting.

If I'm understanding what you're asking correctly, on the first issue you dont want the disable under a fireball cycle or vice versa, you actually want them on a different hotbar column, but same row position, that way for example melee on weaponsbar linked to column 1 with disable on row 1, then staff on weaponsbar linked to column 2 with disable on row 1, that way pressing your key for row 1 of current hotbar (default 1 I think) will give you a different selection depending on what hotbar column you're on, and by association what weapon you have out if you use the weaponsbar. Probably a really bad explanation that someone can simplify if you don't get it or they have a simpler way. Look at section 9 of the guide in the first post.

On the second problem, switch from using cycle mode to combo mode. Cycle resets to first position in the cycle after casting, combo lets you continue to the next spell with a single click after casting the first one.
Post by: nubnax on July 07, 2017, 03:17:57 pm
i tried to make the contextual binding part of the guide more understandable
Post by: nubnax on July 07, 2017, 03:19:15 pm
btw if anyone got a setup he thinks would be a good addition to the example part of the guide, please send me a pm with a description and maybe a screenshot and I'll add it.
Post by: Bim Bam on July 07, 2017, 03:54:48 pm

If I'm understanding what you're asking correctly, on the first issue you dont want the disable under a fireball cycle or vice versa, you actually want them on a different hotbar column, but same row position, that way for example melee on weaponsbar linked to column 1 with disable on row 1, then staff on weaponsbar linked to column 2 with disable on row 1, that way pressing your key for row 1 of current hotbar (default 1 I think) will give you a different selection depending on what hotbar column you're on, and by association what weapon you have out if you use the weaponsbar. Probably a really bad explanation that someone can simplify if you don't get it or they have a simpler way. Look at section 9 of the guide in the first post.

On the second problem, switch from using cycle mode to combo mode. Cycle resets to first position in the cycle after casting, combo lets you continue to the next spell with a single click after casting the first one.

I understand the combo thing i missed that gonna try that out thx. Edit: Does not change a thing i keep having to double tap to go to next spell or skill or get the double bind (melee skill and magic spell to work) If this isnt a ingame option then i hope DND devs change the double tap to a single tap.

I dont understand what you mean about having melee and magic under one hotkey and if i understand then i maybe cant get it to work like i want it 2. In old DFO my binds and scripts set up was so that on R i had rays and disabling F r50 spells and power attack C for aoe and knock back melee. I dont use hotbar switches since that creates a delay, i always have the same hotbar in front of me all the time.
If i do understand what you said then you suggest using hotbarswitches and pressing the numbers on my keyboard to select a spell or skill. I want to avoid using such a set up at all times in any game i play for very obvious reasons. I dont want too much movement in my left hand, it can mess up my aim, using the 12345 keys means my left hand has to keep in touch with the W key for keep going forward and shift for running and then click 1, thats bad for my hands plus it can mess up my aim. Using R F and C for most used spells and skills makes sure my hand stays more or less in the same position.
I gonna keep trying and finding a solution for this with ingame hotbar system otherwise i have to go back to using scripts, i dont want to mess up my hands or arms while playing a game so the less movement the better.
Post by: nubnax on July 07, 2017, 04:11:23 pm
if you select combo mode as your selection mode then it will always select the next spell.
for example you have fireball in the first slot and inferno in the second slot. that hotbar multislot is bound to F.
if you press F once it is at fireball. and no matter if you cast fireball or not as long as you don't select another hotbar slot your next F press will select your inferno.

if you want something like in RoA where it takes the cooldown into account and ignores fireball if it's on cooldown then no, such a thing doesn't exist.

for your problem with weapon contextual bindings:
let's take your R for rays and disabling as an example:
let's say you choose hotbar 1 as your melee/archery weapon hotbar and hotbar 2 as your main magic hotbar.
put disabling shot/bow in hotbar 1 multislot 1 slot 1.
put ray in hotbar 2 multislot 1 slot 1
default key binding for multislot 1 is the "1" key. bind that one to "R"
put your melee weapon in weaponsbar slot 1
click on the button on the bottom right corner of that slot and select 1 (which will switch to hotbar 1 if you activate that weaponsbar slot)
do the same for your bow in weaponsbar slot 2
put your staff in weaponsbar slot 3 and select 2 for this one.
bind weaponsbar slot 1 at ESC -> Options  -> Input Bindings -> Gui -> Gui Weaponsbar Col1 to whatever button your melee weapon should be
do the same for Weaponsbar slot 2 and 3 for your bow and your staff.

PS:
DND accepts any disabling blow/shot skill no matter for what weapon for any weapon. so you can use the GS disabling blow skill to activate disabling shot with your bow for example.
Post by: Ryko Stormeye on July 07, 2017, 04:22:53 pm
The Key bind option looks like this in the input binding menu

Gui Hotbar Row 1
etc

You could set

Gui Hotbar Row 6 - TAB
Gui Hotbar Row 7 - Q
Gui Hotbar Row 8 -E
Gui Hotbar Row 9 - R
Gui Hotbar Row 0 - T

That way anytime you swap to a hotbar (using a weaponbar slot bound to a hotbar column) all the keys 1-5 and TAB to T would be contextual and you would be able to see the cooldowns of all abilties and have them all within reach of your left hand.
Post by: Bim Bam on July 07, 2017, 04:31:38 pm
I am still testing the suggestion you guys gave me but i found a weird thing again ;-).

I have my heal other and sacrifice bound to my mouse, if i select that hotkey on my mouse i can cycle through the spells without having to double click, but if i bind the same spells to F R or C then i have to double click to cycle through spells. Why is that set up like that and where can i set up those options?

gonna test nubnax suggestion but i think the same problem remains with the double tap thing but if i understand correctly that set up  allows for me to switch between melee weapons without the need of inserting those skills in my hotbar since it is allready on my hotbar. For the rest it will function exactly the same as putting a melee skill on a ray cycle option in terms of amount a clicks, switching hotbars i will not do or use since i avoid using 12345 keys at all times.
Post by: Bim Bam on July 07, 2017, 04:42:35 pm
Getting even more weird....

Q and E set as hotkey in cycle is one click to cycle.
F R and C is double click to cycle through spells.
Mouse Hotkeys is also one click cycle.

Tested nubnax system and it works as i thought it allows more then one melee weapon set up but i still need to double click to get the skill up. The more simple approach for one melee weapon set up as i used gives the exact  same problem. So the Bug in hotbar system is caused by the game and not by my hotbarsettings.

I think i gonna switch to scripts again since DND hotbarsystem does not work as intended.
Post by: nubnax on July 07, 2017, 04:48:27 pm
i'm starting to think you would need a voice com session to figure out what's going on with your settings
Post by: Bim Bam on July 07, 2017, 04:52:08 pm
Can you use R F and C for single click cycle nubnax? That is the only issue i have atm, getting rid of double clicking for my preffered hotkey settings.
Post by: nubnax on July 07, 2017, 05:00:37 pm
the keys don't have anything to do with the cycle behaviour. when you click on the bottom right button of the first slot in a multislot you'll see the options:
combo mode
multi-tap mode
cycle mode.

those define the selection behaviour.

Post by: Bim Bam on July 07, 2017, 05:05:39 pm
Narrowed it down even further, the reason why i had to double click to change my spells was the fact that my melee skills were with my ray or r50 spells. After i removed them the double click was gone and now able to freely cycle through my spells. So that issue is solved, forgot to take them out  8)  :))  >:(  O:) .....
Post by: Bim Bam on July 07, 2017, 05:14:48 pm
@Ub3rgames  Might be usefull to look into this, having double bind options (Magic/Melee) without loosing multislot 1...10 should be possible. @nubnax thx for the support mate appreciated.
Post by: lambdaExpression on July 07, 2017, 10:50:54 pm
Is it possible to have multiple weapons on same slot in a weapon bar/spell?  I want to bind R60 bow and R40.  Use case is if my R60 breaks it then will use the R40.
Post by: nubnax on July 07, 2017, 11:00:09 pm
Not yet but it's planned to pick the closest fit to what's in it
Post by: Captain_Kidd on July 11, 2017, 04:23:53 am
gj bala will be sending noobs here ! including myself.....
Post by: Brown Dorf on July 11, 2017, 02:23:56 pm
Is it possible to put shield weapon swap and parry action on the same key?
Post by: nubnax on July 11, 2017, 05:23:50 pm
Not right now. There is actually still an annoying animation delay. If you press block too early after swapping to melee you have to wait out the whole weapon swap animation. The devs told me they want to get rid of this lockout though
Post by: Mood on October 10, 2017, 05:38:58 pm
Hey there, new to the game and enjoying it so far!

Is there any way to set the hotbar to horizontal mode? I looked everywhere in the options but could only find vertical weapons bar switch, nothing about horizontal hotbar. Couldn't find any topics in the forums about this either.

Shuffled around in the xml settings and found a <HOTBAR> section in gui_persistence.xml which has a window size option, so I tested fiddling with the size, which changed the size of the window, but not the orientation. There's also a state setting which seems to have Collapsed and ExpandedRight options, although I haven't tried changing those yet.
Post by: Unknowm Mantra on October 10, 2017, 06:18:34 pm
It was somewhere in GUI option, if i not wrong.
Post by: nubnax on October 10, 2017, 06:48:58 pm
@Mood
i don't think such an option currently exists.

in regards to collapse, the long arrow buttons next to hotbar slot 1 can be used to expand the hotbar so you see all 10 hotbars at once. the autocollapse option collapses them when you go out of gui mode.
Post by: Mycke on October 10, 2017, 08:25:30 pm
Hey there, new to the game and enjoying it so far!

Is there any way to set the hotbar to horizontal mode? I looked everywhere in the options but could only find vertical weapons bar switch, nothing about horizontal hotbar. Couldn't find any topics in the forums about this either.

Shuffled around in the xml settings and found a <HOTBAR> section in gui_persistence.xml which has a window size option, so I tested fiddling with the size, which changed the size of the window, but not the orientation. There's also a state setting which seems to have Collapsed and ExpandedRight options, although I haven't tried changing those yet.

I dont think so because of the way it opens it would be weird horizontal.
Post by: Mood on October 11, 2017, 12:46:44 pm
I dont think so because of the way it opens it would be weird horizontal.

Why weird? It would open up instead of to the right... Makes perfect sense imo.
Post by: F34RZ0H4N on December 09, 2017, 08:17:11 am
could It be possible to have the default of scroll wheel for switching weapons changed, and have the default of scroll wheel be switching between hot bar columns?

the reason I ask this is because when trying to teach my group of returning/new players to the game how to play, the majority got quickly stuck to the bad habit of using scroll wheel for weapon switching and some of them struggled to find the binding to place scroll wheel for hotbar switching

It creates unnecessary issue in the NPE and affects a players ability development
Post by: Mycke on December 09, 2017, 08:31:38 am
You can link each weapon bar slot in the lower right corner and can exclude them from the scroll.

So for example I have my wheel only go to 1h and shield everything else is locked and all my melee weapons go to the same hot bar slt since the same button works for any weapon with access to the ability, others have scroll up go to one weapon and scroll down another so its pretty configurable.
Post by: nubnax on December 09, 2017, 08:56:53 am
@F34RZ0H4N
you can go to %appdata%\DarkfallNewDawn\Character\0
there you find one folder for each account you ever logged in, all having just a number.
find the one that is the account you want to do the change for.
if you have multiple folders log the account in and out. and check which folder had the latest changes made to it's files.

open input_persistence.xml with the text editor. and find the entry:
<Name Value="Gui_Hotbar_Col_Scroll"/>
change <Binding Value=""/> to
<Binding Value="AXIS_Z_0"/>

go to entry:
<Name Value="Gui_Weaponsbar_Scroll"/>
and remove AXIS_Z_0 so you have
<Binding Value=""/>

save the file.
Post by: F34RZ0H4N on December 09, 2017, 02:58:34 pm
@F34RZ0H4N
you can go to %appdata%\DarkfallNewDawn\Character\0
there you find one folder for each account you ever logged in, all having just a number.
find the one that is the account you want to do the change for.
if you have multiple folders log the account in and out. and check which folder had the latest changes made to it's files.

open input_persistence.xml with the text editor. and find the entry:
<Name Value="Gui_Hotbar_Col_Scroll"/>
change <Binding Value=""/> to
<Binding Value="AXIS_Z_0"/>

go to entry:
<Name Value="Gui_Weaponsbar_Scroll"/>
and remove AXIS_Z_0 so you have
<Binding Value=""/>

save the file.
this was useful

thanks
Post by: Anzath on January 21, 2018, 11:52:04 am
Nice Guide Bala, I think I got a grip of the new mechanics now. Felt a little bit left alone in game.
Post by: Goldisheavy on January 21, 2018, 02:41:53 pm
I am sure some people understand all these bindings in the hotbar. I am not one of them. Just too complicated.
Post by: Creditor on January 21, 2018, 10:10:37 pm
does setting up one bar with all your main cooldowns means that you have to direct bind pretty much everything else? 100 binds? ok you might not use all of them but still you'll have to bind all your abilities on separate key binds if you want to see one bar at all times
Post by: nubnax on January 21, 2018, 10:13:02 pm
yes. any spell that isn't on that hotbar has to be bound directly. you can use multislots in that hotbar though.
Post by: xsevenbeta on June 07, 2018, 02:54:35 pm
Thx a lot for your work!

I translated to Russian:
https://forums.goha.ru/showthread.php?p=157038917#post157038917
Post by: huem vzhopu po pizde on June 07, 2018, 06:28:52 pm
guide to weapons is simple - use greatsword.
Post by: huem vzhopu po pizde on June 07, 2018, 06:32:48 pm
btw dfo bindings is most customizeble thing!! you can set everything what u need.They always cry about gui is shit,but gui and chat is the best.
If you think dfo UI is bad,then you are unproper shit and dfo is ok.
Post by: xsevenbeta on June 08, 2018, 06:30:06 am
In DF-1 gui was shit, i has a lot of macro in Autohotkey. DFND make very good customisable system. Only good pvpers could do this.
Post by: xsevenbeta on June 15, 2018, 03:25:45 am
I was record video about gui, video twiking, hotbar, weapon bar on russian:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3AQPQ-NFCU