Skip to main content

Topic: remove permanent lawless areas (Read 1158 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: remove permanent lawless areas
Reply #45
We are open to a case being made for their removal.
That said, some advantages to setting your clan territory as racial land:
- Positively aligned racial players will get racial buffs on racial land, even those setup by clans.
- Raiders will lose alignment while defenders can set them to KoS without repercussions.
- Territory is taxed based on usage.

The trade off between racial and ARAC clans will be buffs, higher taxation revenue and alignment protection, versus the ability to recruit from all races.

As a racial territory, you will open your gates to all racial allies. collecting taxes on market place trades, crafting station gold costs and harvesting/PvE looting around watchtowers.
The economically sound choice for a strong clan able to protect its lands will be to be a racial clan. ARAC equating to playing in hard mode, but with more freedom.

In the end, racial governments cannot extend their jurisdiction over seas without the help of players.
That's what we like about this system, because it leaves control of the state of the world in the hands of players.
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

Reply #46
As ARAC clans will be permanent rogue and mixed clans of red and blue won't be considered racial clans any more, thus will be permanent rogue too - do we need lawless areas any more? Their purpose was to shield players from broken allignment / race wars concept. If allignment will be taken care of and race wars will become meaningful again please remove permanent lawless areas, they make no sense. Especially if we had this:
@Ub3rgames:
- The area surrounding a village will become lawless starting 30 minutes before a control point is vulnerable and stopping 30 minutes after capture.
- For this we created a dynamic area sensor that can be placed and toggled at will. This is its first use, and once proof tested, will be used for other features. (Sieges, watchtowers, etc)

Yes we need lawless areas, this is a sandbox not a pre determined game, the centre of the map and the islands should always be lawless.

Reply #47
- Positively aligned racial players will get racial buffs on racial land, even those setup by clans.
- Raiders will lose alignment while defenders can set them to KoS without repercussions.

The trade off between racial and ARAC clans will be buffs, higher taxation revenue and alignment protection, versus the ability to recruit from all races.

As a racial territory, you will open your gates to all racial allies. collecting taxes on market place trades, crafting station gold costs and harvesting/PvE looting around watchtowers.
The economically sound choice for a strong clan able to protect its lands will be to be a racial clan. ARAC equating to playing in hard mode, but with more freedom.

In the end, racial governments cannot extend their jurisdiction over seas without the help of players.
That's what we like about this system, because it leaves control of the state of the world in the hands of players.

Raiders will lose alignment? This will just deter people from raiding, at the moment hardly anyone raids already. I am concerned by this.

• Otis
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #48

Raiders will lose alignment? This will just deter people from raiding, at the moment hardly anyone raids already. I am concerned by this.

Makes sense if raiders of the same race/alliance would lose alignment.  And hardly anyone even plays right now period.
  • Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 08:47:25 pm by Otis

Reply #49
If you are a human attacking a human settlement, you will be branded as traitor.
If you're an Alfar, then you'll be a hero and it will be business as usual.

It is all relative to who attacks who, and where. This is why giving control to players to colonize in the name of their mother land is potentially very interesting.
But for that ,we need a wilderness to conquer.
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

• Raap
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #50
One of the main perks of owning a holding on a sub-continent is the fact you can murder all day long without concerns of alignment, it raises the risk level of these areas to match the generally higher reward. I'd like to keep the subcontinents, oceans, and small islands as lawless, simply for being outside the range of NPC law.

Raap - Uprising

Reply #51
One of the main perks of owning a holding on a sub-continent is the fact you can murder all day long without concerns of alignment, it raises the risk level of these areas to match the generally higher reward. I'd like to keep the subcontinents, oceans, and small islands as lawless, simply for being outside the range of NPC law.

I like this idea.

Also one clear advantage that ND has over other Darkfalls is the alignment system with racial wars. Racial wars are going to be the bread and butter of this game, and shall not be looked upon only as a tool to entry level PvP. It's going to be what will keep the population at a critical mass, regarding new players and old alike. It would be best to launch with it or get it soon after, though I doubt you can pull that off.
"Eilis Traee" - Uprising. Clan Crafter and Public Relations.
However, you have to take into account why we are introducing local banking.
In New Dawn, its main purpose is to be a convenience feature.
"Things just got worse."

Reply #52
In Darkfall you can kill anyone anywhere. What you want is not freedom to kill but lack of consequences. Alignment does not make you immune to getting killed as other race alliances can kill you without any penalty.

In consequence of your approach RACE WARS would become meaningless, by leaving all best areas lawless.
Have Ub3r considered servers at the center of the Earth? That would be the fairest for everyone
would not be fair...Wildnothing would have a big ping advantage playing from Hell

Reply #53

What you propose is no consequences for ARAC clan members or ARAC alliances.

ARAC alliances (even informal) will be formed, race clans will be slaughtered (in fights on lawless areas) and then ARAC alliances will split (if formal) to become racial clans again (for benefits you described) without losing alignment.

Alignment should work always. Only WAR declaration should allow to overcome it (that's why it's so insanely costly, right?) For RACE WARS to work removal of permanent lawless areas is MANDATORY.
  • Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 11:18:11 am by wildNothing
Have Ub3r considered servers at the center of the Earth? That would be the fairest for everyone
would not be fair...Wildnothing would have a big ping advantage playing from Hell

Reply #54
@Ub3rgames  Seriously guys. The change is MANDATORY (look at my post above) and you say you are "open to a case being made for lawless areas removal"?

So you are "open to a case being made" for RACE WARS? Wasn't it supposed to be one of core mechanics in the game?

Or is it that you are sure that you want RACE WARS but you are "open to a case being made" for lawless areas removal? In this case you immediately need to hire someone with imagination. I am helping you for free of course but it's not the same as having someone on your payroll.

BTW - can you award me with "Troll" title, just like your "Administrator"?
  • Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 01:11:53 pm by wildNothing

Reply #55
i hope those buffs are like the city buffs...otherwise i see no real advantage to play as a racial Clan
Rorschach MiM

Retired:  Rorschach Greyhead / Marquez VonHinten

Reply #56
i hope those buffs are like the city buffs...otherwise i see no real advantage to play as a racial Clan
Does not matter - it still changes nothing as:
So if best areas (middle, islands) are lawless racial clans will have no buff there. Add people killing same race players without alignment loss on top of that. Zero sense, zero immersion. What a joke. RACIAL WARS by ub3rgames.

Reply #57
So if best areas (middle, islands) are lawless racial clans will have no buff there. Add people killing same race players without alignment loss on top of that. Zero sense, zero immersion. What a joke. RACIAL WARS by ub3rgames.

for me it sound like you also get the Buff on the islands when your Racial Clan control the area.
So if the buff is good and nothing like 10+ Mana its a big adavantage to play in a racial Clan and controlling an area.
Rorschach MiM

Reply #58

for me it sound like you also get the Buff on the islands when your Racial Clan control the area.
So if the buff is good and nothing like 10+ Mana its a big adavantage to play in a racial Clan and controlling an area.

Yes, but to control an area you have to conquer it. Most (if not all) of good areas will be lawless by default. ARAC clans (or even clans of the same race as you but willing to ally with ARAC) will kill you without any alignment penalty to control it. Then they will de-ally ARAC and remain racial for the benefits presented by ub3r and the buff you mentioned. In other words the less you are truly committed to being racial, the easier it is to control an area (alliances with ARAC or opposite RACE aliances) without any alignment consequences (lawless area) but same benefits (when outside of conflict you can switch land to racial again). Who will remain truly race only in such scenario? People will use this faulty mechanic to their advantage as history teaches us that people use any possible advantage they can in dfo. Zero thought was given to such set up of RACE WARS by ub3r. RIP RACE WARS.
  • Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 03:01:58 pm by wildNothing

Reply #59

Yes, but to control an area you have to conquer it. Most (if not all) of good areas will be lawless by default. ARAC clans (or even clans of the same race as you but willing to ally with ARAC) will kill you without any alignment penalty to control it. Then they will de-ally ARAC and remain racial for the benefits presented by ub3r and the buff you mentioned. In other words the less you are truly committed to being racial, the easier it is to control an area (alliances with ARAC or opposite RACE aliances) without any alignment consequences (lawless area) but same benefits (when outside of conflict you can switch land to racial again). Who will remain truly race only in such scenario? People will use this faulty mechanic to their advantage as history teaches us that people use any possible advantage they can in dfo. Zero thought was given to such set up of RACE WARS by ub3r. RIP RACE WARS.

as always you are dramatically exeggerating but list a few valid points Ub3r should think about before implementing watchtowers
Rorschach MiM