Skip to main content

Topic: Magic and Melee/Archer Grind are Massively Asymmetrical (Read 1436 times) previous topic - next topic

Magic and Melee/Archer Grind are Massively Asymmetrical
Why is the magic grind about 20x as long as the Melee/Archer grind? Seems like another thing that's been ported over from DF1 that doesn't fit this version.

• MNO
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Magic and Melee/Archer Grind are Massively Asymmetrical
Reply #1
Why is the magic grind about 20x as long as the Melee/Archer grind? Seems like another thing that's been ported over from DF1 that doesn't fit this version.

Because Magic provides a tonne more utility?

• gosti
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
20x? Explain this number.

Reply #3
Because magic is yuge?
"Gotta put the master encryption code here..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=975oMBaK9gM

Reply #4
Funny. I was doing melee for the first time yesterday and it actually felt like melee was taking longer than magic was at the first levels

Reply #5
A melee/archer can get a 40% increase through Haste/Rapid Shot as well, not so for Mage.

Reply #6
yes it takes much longer...
exactly 6× (if all schools and just their bolts) + all other spells that you need + a few years until you lvl up rays.
BUT it offers a much more complex and creative way of gaming, actually it's a totally different 2 things to play a mage or a melee/ archer. It's not DFUW so in this version we have no melee or archery skills.
- As a melee archer you enjoy tracking and aiming
- As a mage you work with your secondary effects, also as a mages have much, much more situational tools in their hands as field aoes, blinds, bunny-hops, debuffs.... (once more, since do not forget that it's not Darkfall Unholy Wars where archers and melee roles had wide range of skills to play with and to set up their own, preferred skill-bar)

But non of these roles are more viable then the other... they all can win and lose fights.

And even if it takes much longer to lvl up magic schools and their spells after a few days of the "official launch" of DnD we already have a bunch of players who has 100 melee and archery skills and we have a lot who is running around with meditated up (lol) arch-mage and dropping r90s in every corner.

All I can suggest, that take it easy, since if you have issues by lvl'ing up magic, just imagine for a sec how you will feel when you will decide to change some titles....

Reply #7
Funny. I was doing melee for the first time yesterday and it actually felt like melee was taking longer than magic was at the first levels

Melee takes longer than any single school. Melee takes FAR less time to level than any single school AND it's good spells. Melee takes astronomically less time than levelling multiple schools and their useful spells.

Remember... You only have to do the melee grind once. U gotta do the magic grind not only for every school, but also every spell u actually wanna use.
Dont let your memes be dreams

Reply #8
What if you level up multiple melee weapons? Hurrr leveling one skill is faster than raising muliple skills
DEVS PLZ

*kills self*

"Gotta put the master encryption code here..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=975oMBaK9gM

Reply #9
What if you level up multiple melee weapons? Hurrr leveling one skill is faster than raising muliple skills
DEVS PLZ

*kills self*

At most one would need a one handed, 2-hand, daggers and bows leveled. That's 4 skills compared to 6 for mages. This is not taking into consideration that each school has 4 important subskills and multiple spells. Not that any good mage is going to need a melee weapon leveled as well... you suggesting that the "want, or diversity" of having every melee skill leveled and using one at a time is comparable to what mages have to do is ridiculous. I really hope that was sarcasm...

Reply #10
Since I jump to this discussion early on, let me share my test that I made last night:

- 2H melee weapon from 0 to 37 went up in one hour (power hour) by the help of my friend who melee hasted me and constantly healed.
(we used lvl5 undead dwarfs)

So actually the OP is right, it's not about a single skill vs multiply schools, spells, but in general, it's faster to lvl up melee. I tested a bunch of schools, spells by using power hour and non of them when up this fast.
(probably we would have the same result due to archery with ranged haste, but since my archery skill is not 0 anymore I can not make a test)

Is it bad?
I do not think so, since lets be honest, all of us needs to lvl up a melee weapon, no matter if our main role will be mage or archer (or melee)

• XiaN
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #11

it is longer per skill but a melee/archer levels 2 skills (4 with masteries but they level togehter with the base skill once you unlocked them) while a mage lvl every spell individually and even when you´re done with that there is still subskills that could be maxed out (allthough not mandatory)

to cap out a mage is much longer than the melee/archery grind. even just a viable mage is much more work than a capped melee/archer

Reply #12
Since I jump to this discussion early on, let me share my test that I made last night:

- 2H melee weapon from 0 to 37 went up in one hour (power hour) by the help of my friend who melee hasted me and constantly healed.
(we used lvl5 undead dwarfs)

So actually the OP is right, it's not about a single skill vs multiply schools, spells, but in general, it's faster to lvl up melee. I tested a bunch of schools, spells by using power hour and non of them when up this fast.
(probably we would have the same result due to archery with ranged haste, but since my archery skill is not 0 anymore I can not make a test)

Is it bad?
I do not think so, since lets be honest, all of us needs to lvl up a melee weapon, no matter if our main role will be mage or archer (or melee)

Maybe for 2handers, 1hand grind is real

Reply #13

Test again without your friend and report back.

PS: I heard int and archmage was a pain to level
  • Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 03:51:24 pm by Nataz

Reply #14
Archery is very slow, magic is very slow too especially due to having to get it to 100 and level the skills. Melee was piss easy got it to 75 in 4 power hours in a spawn with 2 of us with no hastes, wish  everything was that easy lol.

Also yea int is ridiculous to level, ive got like 58 int after leveling lesser to 80, greater to 40, earth 100, water 60 and all other elements to 25-45. going to be a long long time till i get archmage unless i meditate :(
  • Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 04:08:51 pm by Dorf Ironbeard