Skip to main content

Recent Posts

We would like to reply in depth to this thread, but right now we can only spare the time to explain in a tl;dr fashion.
Hopefully, this will be interesting enough.

One of the goal is indeed to incorporate new players in the economy faster.
That will come from some "multi usage" drops, such as cheese or potatoes which can be dropped on low tier monsters but still be relevant in high end crafting either as is or in a processed way.
An example we liked to use early on is potatoes. You can eat them as is, or use them to produce baked potatoes at low level, or use baked potatoes as part of a stew/complete meal at mastery level.
The master cook won't gain xp from crafting baked potatoes. If he buys them he saves time and hassle over simply buying unprepared potatoes. Hence a new cook can grow for some profit.

On the topic of entering the economy for newer crafters:
Low level recipes will lose their need in gold, so that the profit margin for a new crafter is wider and the need to PvE is lower.
We're also considering removing transaction fees for low rank items for the same reasons. Jury is still out on this one.
Note that low rank items will stop giving any XP after the crafter outgrows them.

We're not a big fan of cross crafting requirements. We feel it adds complexity but not necessarily depth.
That need is already serviced by a gear bag requiring nearly all crafting skills, with resources from all over the world.
There are some examples in the game of items being cross crafting, and it works for some relevant examples, but we won't be using that as a rule, more as an interesting exception.
Examples being processed raw resources (ingots/wood) and fibulaes for sithras. Both being at the extreme ends of complexity.
Enchanting is also an example from all across the world.

For the looting changes in general:
We've called it the loot apocalypse because it is mostly about removing inflation of gold/resources and direct the economy through crafters/harvesters/traders.

A few of the rules we have been following:
- Everything that is craftable by a player will no longer drop except some rare exceptions.
- Most items will be removed from vendors, aside from the very strict minimum which will be priced high enough to leave room for players to undercut NPCs.
- Gold drops have been removed from nearly all higher end monsters and lowered from everything else. The idea being rare/localized resources should be produced in good enough quantity to "feed" the player and then have surplus to sell to buy from someone farming other rare/localized resources. The market value of killing high end monsters will remain higher, just in a different format.
- We keep exceptions to have some hotspots to direct the wolves towards.
- We're generally tweaking things to remain rarer at the high end but be easier to gain at the low end. We want the average gear bag to be lower than it is now.

These are, in big strokes, our current work on the economy.
Hope this was enough insight to get you guys waiting for the patch itself. :)
I just hope you're aware that literally half the mobs in the game currently drop absolutely nothing of value, and this number will increase once mobs stop dropping gear. All of these mobs need to start dropping at least one item worth killing them for, be that crafting materials or something else useful.

Snowclan dwarves remain my typical example of a mid-to-high range mob in the current game that nobody kills because they are too annoying to kill and with a loot table that makes zero sense (r0 weapons, chain armor, and nothing else). Unfortunately as I said, after a removal of gear, runestone, and gold, a majority of mobs will be in this "Snowclan boat", dropping nothing useful or being too tedious to kill for what they do drop.

You could partially remedy the problem by introducing more raw material drops - but doing so would have to go paired with a dramatic weight reduction on such items. Mobs that drop such items today have them left unlooted due to the weight, and mule mounts/alts are too impractical in reality because it is a babysitting job vulnerable to easy griefing from both player and monster AI, and strongboxes got nerfed to hell (unusable placement restrictions).

All in all I agree with removing gear drops, but something has to be given back in return for it, otherwise you may as well delete these mob spawns, as it'll be the same net result. No one will waste regs or durability on mobs that do not at the very least result in breaking even, take lessons from past Darkfall games on this.
Another dump pit in the style of Zerg Merks from the terrorist. This time, you will also give each newcomer a bag of junk and a cookie as a gift?
A good one was a clan before it unified with Aesir and joined the first on the nutcap server with top clans at that time Anquer quare, SUN and defacto Death pig cowboys, who roamed on their side. I hope this time the policy of the clan will be more reasonable, because last time this not reasonable choice strongly influenced the population of the server.

I think you have the wrong clan?

We never allied Aesir in any of the Darkfalls - in fact we fought them all the time in  DFUW. Nor did we ever ally SUN. We did co-ordinate the formation of the anti-SUN server zerg at the end of the DFO EU server in 2011. But before that we'd only allied Wessex when they returned to the game in (I think) early 2011. We were a deliberately independent clan without any allies from the period of the NA/EU server split until the Wessex alliance in 2011.
They've said its a problem.
They dont have a clear path for a solution.
Some said this would happen like a year ago.

Regardless, balance changes will, at least for now, be based on their idea's only.
As the playing community is too small, too biased, too spread of opinion and factually wrong on things.
(which includes me ofc)

Though you can throw up idea's and hope they like it...
Keep in mind, there were meant to be grenades and grappling hooks for heavy playstyles that ignore magic.
Its just hard to implement it all, so we are in a "make do" situation.

Kiting is needed for lighter geared opponents because they need to avoid melee (and damage in general).
Chasing at similar rates, with the cc reduction heavy armor provides, makes it too hard on the leading part.
The current difference makes it too easy on the leading part.

There probably is something in the middle, but then playerskill muddies the water and we'll never hear the end of it.
Which is probably why balance has taken a back seat for quite a while now.

*edit
As for giving back cc to mages, i think its great but uber dislikes that it takes control away from the person being hit.
Which, if you've ever been juggled to death, is reasonable. It just means that mages need to be able to do something heavies cant or there's no escaping the truck running at you.
A good one was a clan before it unified with Aesir and joined the first on the nutcap server with top clans at that time Anquer quare, SUN and defacto Death pig cowboys, who roamed on their side. I hope this time the policy of the clan will be more reasonable, because last time this not reasonable choice strongly influenced the population of the server.
Have you ever played Class Based games if "currently armor = classes" in your opinion?
In ND (now, before Titles) I can change my build in a minute, by changing my gear.
In a class based game - you're stuck playing your class, unless you level up a different character.

In my opinion, that's a big distinction.

As for balance - I'll leave that topic to other people.
Questions and Answers / Re: Disable Scroll Wheel?
Last post by Wyverex -
You can put a weapon and a skill on the same skill slot and it selects both when you press it.

You can also enable "default spell" (don't remember exactly how it's called) and Autocast and some other shit.
Ub3rgames did implement lots of useful stuff, but interface is still clunky and not informative enough.

PS try pressing "U" while you have a bag with lots of item open ;)
Then go play Rise of Agon.

DND is not the game you are looking for.
If you can't participate in discussions, just go away from forums please. Take a break as apparently you have absolutely nothing to say on topic while your frustration with life makes you type some negative shit anyway.

@CeliahAiley Mage needs mobility. In a robe you have protections of 4. This is nothing. You have to move away. Bunny hopping is a problem though (second jump). It is used to reset fights by mages while other classes are not able to do it. So BH should be nerfed to the ground in my opinion.

Movement in water is a different topic. Begone in water should not be possible for many reasons. One of them being a problem with some classes being unchasable in water by other classes - turning water into free get out of jail card for them. Second of them would be making rafts/ships viable.
Questions and Answers / Re: Disable Scroll Wheel?
Last post by Kril Tsutsaroth -
There are little toggles on the upper right corner of each weapon bar slot. Toggle one to ignore the slot, toggle all to ignore all slot, thus disabling the mouse wheel.
YOU SIR DESERVE A HOT BROWNIE, thank you for telling me this. im pretty sure you fixed my staff always reverting to mana missile for some odd reason even if it wasnt my beginners staff. not sure if its a bug or intended.
I definitely suggest checking out Bala's good write up on how Weapons Bar works in New Dawn:
https://forums.darkfallnewdawn.com/index.php/topic,5567.0.html

There's also some similar, yet different, options for setting up "next spell" on the same slot in ND. I believe Bala's thread covers that as well.

Welcome aboard.
Thanks ill be sure to check it out!
Then go play Rise of Agon.

DND is not the game you are looking for.