Skip to main content

Topic: Facebook update: Get Dressed? (Read 1926 times) previous topic - next topic

• Maddi
  • [*][*]
Re: Facebook update: Get Dressed?
Reply #30
Any news on the market system?

Reply #31
 can't wait, getting more and more excited for launch every day! Titles, markets,  loot tables, watch towers.... we almost there boys! Very smart to add this for testing without gimping runeestones yet

Reply #32
Glad i clicked on this thread , not because i care , but for raap's pic

Reply #33
@Oriphus @Nataz @Adûn
It was a general point about games: they are all based around repetition.
What we had in mind were the dota/dust2 of the gaming world, or closer to Darkfall's 3 faction system, the daoc/eso/gw2/planetside2 of the world, and even closer, Eve with the localized worlds.
All have either static maps with repetitive gameplay, and in the case of Eve very localized front lines/neighbors, yet all continue to be played after years.
Taking back the argument to pre-computer gaming: Poker and chess are still played, without patches in a long time.

Why? Simply because the games are fun/engaging/challenging, and offer a good mixture of intrinsic and extrinsic reward.
Repetition is not a negative, on the contrary. The human brain is made to look for patterns and repetitive tasks and find value in them.
Predictability of activity is a key factor of enjoyment, and we all know how frustrating not being able to find fights can be.

We have a fun game on our hands, or no one would be here today "just for the combat". At the very least, in the MMO genre, Darkfall has very strong and unique core combat mechanics.
With the attrition coming from death and the fact that battles matter in Darkfall, there are very few games that can give such meaningfulness to day to day victories/defeats.
Reinforcing predictability and meaningfulness are worthy goals.

And what is fluff if not giving meaning to actions within a world?
Fluff is about creating memories and interacting with the world in a way that makes it more tangible to the player. To increase attachment or immersion. It goes from being able to sit in a chair to having relatable motivations for your character.
Meaningful travels, making a trip a memory or an event of consequence in the life of a character is fluff.

Exploration is not about seeing scenery or changing activity, it is about the adventure of pushing beyond what is familiar.
New players tend to push it slowly in Darkfall, and enjoy the process. The town next door which is in reality 5 minutes away is the limit of their familiarity and feels a world away until they expand their own scope.
That's true exploration and personal growth. Any trip for a new player is an adventure and a positive memory.

We've always said that increasing the world's physicality was essential to immersion, and we stand by it.
Try to remember your first MMO, or even your discovery of Darkfall itself. If you were a casual or a noob, how did you really play?
Have you not noticed a disconnect with the worlds when instant travels became prevalent? On our end, we strongly believe that immersion is severely harmed when you disjoint a world and make travels a non-choice.

Of course, this all ties in gracefully with the overall conquest and economical aspects of the game, but they themselves feed back into immersion.
A virtual world with physicality, with a realistic player run economy and player driven strife and drama is far more immersive and fluffy than a scripted world where you can easily see the ropes and pulleys.

@lambdaExpression
Markets will be placed in fixed locations. They will be interactable gnomes and have their own interface.
The first wave will be in NPC and chaos cities, to start testing the technical implementation, then in holdings as a new building to construct.

@Maddi
The market places are currently being worked on, we would say that they are 30% complete.
The complexity really is in the interface, but as soon as we have a minimum viable version available, we'll push it to test the backend aspects.
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

Reply #34
hippy

Reply #35
@ub3rgames you are falling over yourself trying to convince me you have no shortcomings in this area. You could have just said 'no, we don't have any plans laid out yet for development along those lines' it would have saved you a lot of effort.

This response makes me think you are going to do a 'Funcom' on us once you have finished your current roadmap.
'Combat will be great - The reason combat will be great is because we will make it great - However, if combat isn't great we will change it so that combat is great, therefore - Combat will be great.' paraphrased from the core circular logic answer to all questions department

Reply #36
Glad to have an update. Our clan is already making runs with heavy mats from point A, where there is no bank, to point B, where there is a bank. While we expect to make it due to the low population, it is still an event that gets out heart rate up a bit and we often go in small groups. We're talking like 10K raw wood and 10 K stone per run btw. So for us, this is actually interesting, and we perceive it as somewhat dangerous, and it would be meaningful if we lost our stuff. With increased pop it will just get more interesting, because it will be more risky... we might have to hire mercs to accompany us. This is what Uber is trying to explain when they talk about more casual players vs 24/7 hardcore PVP vets.

I am aware that the PVP centric players are shaking their head and just don't get why this would be attractive to us. Can you please suspend your disbelief, and accept that it is? And that it remains interesting even though we do it repetitively? Because it helps us build stuff? And that, for us, it is a good enough reason to play.

There are a lot more people like us in the greater gaming community, who want to do small things that have personal meaning, than there are hard core, full loot PVP'ers. I'm glad that Uber is improving the PVP experience for the latter group, but creating a much better home for folks like us.

Really looking forward to the next sequence of patches. Take your time, push what you can for testing, and stick to your vision- we think that your vision has a decent chance of generating a game with long-term survival and growth possibilities.

Reply #37
Are you debating with comments in this thread tolbin or just debating yourself?
'Combat will be great - The reason combat will be great is because we will make it great - However, if combat isn't great we will change it so that combat is great, therefore - Combat will be great.' paraphrased from the core circular logic answer to all questions department

Reply #38
I'm passing on my comments, and the views of my clan. Is that a problem?

Reply #39
@Oriphus
Sorry but we strongly disagree with you on this. The "spawn nearby" mechanic is, among other things, a fluff update.
Our efforts in this thread are to convey who these changes will benefit and why. @Tolbin 's comment is hinting at this too. The "virtual world" category of players was supposed to be catered to by Darkfall, but never was. Very few players with that mindset made due with what Darkfall ended up being, but they are those we are targeting.

A more "physical" world IS fluff. It is source of immersion and activity, it adds meaning and replayability.

For those that are afraid of repetitiveness, the world is not that large. Moving around and fighting someone different every day will be possible, even supported by the global gold account and the economy might even make them traders for every hop.
But for those that want the rivalries and drama that only a persistent world can offer, we need a localized world in every way possible.
Predictability and habit, learning your enemies' patterns, recognizing their better fighters and so on. These are emergent stories.
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

Reply #40
@Oriphus
Sorry but we strongly disagree with you on this. The "spawn nearby" mechanic is, among other things, a fluff update.
Our efforts in this thread are to convey who these changes will benefit and why. @Tolbin 's comment is hinting at this too. The "virtual world" category of players was supposed to be catered to by Darkfall, but never was. Very few players with that mindset made due with what Darkfall ended up being, but they are those we are targeting.

A more "physical" world IS fluff. It is source of immersion and activity, it adds meaning and replayability.

For those that are afraid of repetitiveness, the world is not that large. Moving around and fighting someone different every day will be possible, even supported by the global gold account and the economy might even make them traders for every hop.
But for those that want the rivalries and drama that only a persistent world can offer, we need a localized world in every way possible.
Predictability and habit, learning your enemies' patterns, recognizing their better fighters and so on. These are emergent stories.

What exactly are you 'strongly' disagreeing with, the fact that I said that you have very little planned after your roadmap? that you are missing depth? the fact that you need more sandbox tools? that personal rpg progression is very limited? which one?

What you have pretty much stated so far is that 'yes the game is shallow but that's OK because cards also lack depth and people still play that so it's OK'.

I don't have any issues with what you have included in your current roadmap, I like all of the plans, that isn't the issue so why you are trying to defend those to me I have no idea. You have planned some cool features but it is still lacking, it needs more further down the road and you are here trying to defend what you have planned and it seems to me you are also suggesting that will be all, that there needs to be nothing more, once your roadplan is finished then so are you because you have provided loads of 'replayability' and here is proof because 'tolbin' said so.

Give me a break with the bullshit please. Do you intend to provide future depth to the game or not after your current roadmap?
  • Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 04:15:24 am by Oriphus

Reply #41

i feel like i completely get what you are saying, but in the context of MMOs, and all my years of reading mmorpg.com and massivelyop.com forums/comments, and hearing people speaking in global MMO chat, i've always heard "fluff" used in OPPOSITE ways from the ways you are using that word.

the way MMO'ers use that word/term, is for things like personal cosmetics, emotes, animations for sitting in chairs, house decorations, etc.; things that have NO "physical" bearing on the virtual world.
  • Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 01:33:36 am by corpusc

Reply #42
wow this oriphus dude comes off as a salty kid

Reply #43
wow this oriphus dude comes off as a salty kid
really? how so?

Reply #44
This is very funny. Me and one of our clan mates were farming very far way from home and accidentally got us killed. We forgot to bind and was wishing for this patch :-)
Wolfmask Warriors Clan @ https://www.twitch.tv/simssmith