Skip to main content

Topic: tracing the myth of loot apocalypse (Read 495 times) previous topic - next topic

tracing the myth of loot apocalypse
We are close

It will be 3.13

It will be hot fixed so we don't hold up stuff

It's coming
It's a myth

• Raap
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: tracing the myth of loot apocalypse
Reply #1
I think they may have overhyped this patch by claiming it to be a total make over (the word apocalypse suggests this).

Unfortunately lately @Ub3rgames seems to be using less dramatic words to describe this patch, which likely means it isn't as big in scope as we, the players, expect and hope for.

DF2012's loot tables are beyond terrible, and to make it so that mobs offer something valuable in each area of the world in order to make local banking pay off, I am concerned they underestimated the workload and took shortcuts of less notable impact. I'd like to be proven wrong, but my mentality right now is that it will not be a "loot apocalypse" but rather a "modest loot reshuffle" at best.

One of the core flaws of Darkfall's economy is plainly a lack of items. If the game only has 100 or so materials, then you're bound to find difficulties distributing it without significant overlap or even leaving some mobs or area's without a unique purpose. If the latter is the case, then anyone settling there with local banking would essentially draw the shortest stick, and be left with nothing valuable to trade with. Remember, scarcity is a critical factor in what determines value, along with general usage/demand, so if you got nothing notable to trade... Good luck.
  • Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 03:12:07 am by Raap

Raap - Uprising

Reply #2
I'm inclined to agree with Rapp's assessment here, though I do look forward to being proven wrong; this is why i supported wildNothing's proposal to make even core resources heavily localized. The workload is quite great, especially with titles, engagement system, et all in the pipeline. We're rooting for you Ub3r!

Reply #3
Im inclined to think all features in the next couple months are going to be barebones and rushed to get them in before launch at the end of the year.

Reply #4
Im inclined to think all features in the next couple months are going to be barebones and rushed to get them in before launch at the end of the year.
Christmas 2018 or bust.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reply #5
I can't see them launching at Christmas.

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
they said the loot apocalypse is not going to revamp all loot tables. i tried to find where they talked a bit more in detail about the to changes they want to make but i couldn't find it.

but from memory they said things like enchanting material are already good enough distributed in ub3rgames eyes.
the main thing will be the change to gold drops. low end and high end mobs won't drop much or any gold and the most gold will be dropped by mid level mobs.
Bala Eregi - SG of Pickaxe Inc

Reply #7
I hope they don't announce launch before all the required features are in.
"Eilis Traee" - Uprising. Clan Crafter and Public Relations.
However, you have to take into account why we are introducing local banking.
In New Dawn, its main purpose is to be a convenience feature.
"Things just got worse."

Reply #8
Dooh, even if its one full year, let people work, let them do what they like doing. Pushing wont make any work required go any faster, beyond certain point. I get us being excited and wanting to already play etc, but its ready when its ready. In case of blackest scenario, it never will be, but the distinction between something that is halfassed, halfheartedly rushed out and something that never sees a daylight is rather slim. Think about it, there is no shortage of garbage, so patience :)

Reply #9
On a not fully related subject, have you ever thought putting whole gaming industry into different perspective? I try to explain what i mean.
Typically its always players demanding, expecting, critizising , almost as if they are entitled to something, make a good game for us, or else.. See what i mean?
What if some team does it purely to realize their vision, not because of us, not because of the money in  it. Like doing something well, irregardless of  whether someone pats you on head or not.
Take Elder Scrolls or Fallout series for example, shortly after latest iterations, there began this pressure, make us fallout 5, makes us elder scrolls 3456, we want it we need it! I remember some interview or blog or somesuch, where some developer basically stated that they are tired, they will have at least some break before it will even be considered. Funny enough its almost as an actual hostage situation, in which if you give in, it will start looking awfully similar to prostitution.

Reply #10
Does seem like it's not as much of an apocalypse as it at first seemed like it would be. That's a shame but I'm wondering if they are not fast approaching the point of where they are having to cut things from what is most likely a lofty list of things they wanted to add. Would really be interesting to know how their deadlines look. How long can they stay in development for, are they starting to cut things or shuffle things around to after launch instead now and so on. Worrisome stuff that made me remember this Romero quote:

"Anyone in game development can tell you that this is a recipe for disaster [cutting content to reach deadlines]. The end of development is so crucial to the finished game becoming itself, taking on its ultimate personality, that shipping it before it's a cohesive experience is basically throwing years of effort and money into a fiery pit."

It's funny to because MMO games especially do this all the time and then they wonder why their playerbase didn't stick around waiting for the devs to make the product actually complete and make sense. It's terrible game design and not what an MMO is meant to do. The content that comes after launch should not be things that obviously needed to be part of the initial experience (hello racial war fronts) but rather things that just feel like amazing extra content that enhances the experience not something that patches the experience into completion.
  • Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 01:33:13 pm by Ninogan

• Raap
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
but from memory they said things like enchanting material are already good enough distributed in ub3rgames eyes.
Lol, no.

Raap - Uprising

Reply #12
I dont find the loot tables that bad actually.

Reply #13
Lol, no.

They promised they are going to fix enchanting mat loots, as some higher tier mats are easier to get than low level.
"Eilis Traee" - Uprising. Clan Crafter and Public Relations.
However, you have to take into account why we are introducing local banking.
In New Dawn, its main purpose is to be a convenience feature.
"Things just got worse."

Reply #14
This is the launch roadmap - so we know what they are getting done before launch:

https://darkfallnewdawn.com/roadmap/

Here's the original planned set of launch features:

https://i.gyazo.com/0d442951cb273522a7b55b20aaa9ab99.png

and a little on how it grew:

https://forums.darkfallnewdawn.com/index.php/topic,4654.0.html

And their detail can be found here (which is a link to the full roadmap that covers up to the first year after launch):
https://forums.darkfallnewdawn.com/index.php/topic,579.0.html

I think the devs failed badly by not keeping a running table of what parts of the overall roadmap were going to be in for launch and for post-launch. This basic failing has led to a LOT of miscommunication and misunderstanding. It's created a great deal of expectation on the players' side of X being in for launch, when on the devs' side there was no intention of X being in for launch.

Ironic/disappointing that devs who have otherwise been so good at communicating with the community have let themselves down and created a rod for their own back.
  • Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 02:52:37 pm by Maejohl