Skip to main content

Topic: 17,610 Members (Read 893 times) previous topic - next topic

• Hyld
  • [*][*][*][*]
17,610 Members
Greetings,

I have been completely off DF for a few months....I logged on a couple of days ago and I noticed that there is little playing activity, but I read here : 17,610 (Forum) Members...this is not a bad sign at all.

Time will tell.

On the other side, PLEASE devs, face the fact that the overwhelming majority of people have a life (work/family/GF etc.) and will not be able to play nor be available 8 hours a day 7/7; I noticed that (probably not only) my idea of a narrower siege window was taken on board, but 8 hours of siege window and 22 hours of notice will keep away or semi idle quite a few people...do not look at Raap, Celiah and Mahjol.....they are a minority.

Make it shorter, 4-5 hours total max,, also a couple of "off days" should be implemented so that people can go for a pickninck somwhere....not everyone spends all week on this game as a job like you devs, or AS a job like the basementDwellers.

Regards
HG
Never overestimate the intelligence of your fellow human being

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: 17,610 Members
Reply #1
if the window is too small hardly anyone will be able to siege at all.
Bala Eregi - SG of Pickaxe Inc

Reply #2
3 hours of primetime + 5 hours of off-time (more expensive to siege) are already quite short.

If you can't attend a siege, that's okay. Get more allies/friends. Or worst case pay mercenaries.
Wyverex Erisian - random scrub who enjoys DF

For the love of all that is holy
Darkfall: New Dawn is not Dungeons & Dragons
[DND or DF:ND =/= DnD]

• Hyld
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
3 hours of primetime + 5 hours of off-time (more expensive to siege) are already quite short.

If you can't attend a siege, that's okay. Get more allies/friends. Or worst case pay mercenaries.

The main reason for playing this game is the siege...if you cannot attend most sieges you will not spend your time buying or building a city that you will lose without being able to shoot one single arrow or a mana missile...if you have to see the siege on youtube you might as well see a good movie....this is simply how humans would most likely react and why crappy games like WoW or LoL are a better bet even for people that would love a game like DF.

How many hours a day can you spend on average on DF or on MMORPG?

Regards
HG
  • Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 07:21:03 pm by Hyld

Reply #4
people need to be less attached to holdings, they should (if we're all having fun) come and go like gear bags

if npc cities were less dull and alignment works out... there may not be the typical exodus after <insert casual clan name here> loses thier home.

would love if the game somehow turned into one where we actually destroy/rebuild holdings on a daily basis with cheaper building costs, more accessible warhulks and cannons etc
  • Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 08:39:57 pm by Leg enD

Reply #5
I think 6 hours is a fair number, personally

• Morad
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
Since the New Dawn player base encompasses multiple time zones,
is there a period of time that covers "prime time" for each time zone,
and would a 6hr period cover these different time zones "prime time" ?

I always wondered what time zone is used as reference when denoting "prime time"

• mrW
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
100k on old DF forums just after release or 25k on RoA's beg to differ

• Hyld
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
I think 6 hours is a fair number, personally
Although not short enough for the lifers, 6 hours is the figure I had in mind; there is no way around it, it has to be a compromise between:
1) No lifers: 24hour window (numerically few)
2) Lifers: 2-3 hours window (majority of people)
3) Allowing some room for an attacking clan based on a different time zone

Since the New Dawn player base encompasses multiple time zones,
is there a period of time that covers "prime time" for each time zone,
and would a 6hr period cover these different time zones "prime time" ?

I always wondered what time zone is used as reference when denoting "prime time"
The "prime time" is decided by the owning clan.

I am too lazy to find my old post where most issues were considered and, potentially, resolved, however I will mention that this short window would allow lucrative "contract sieges" to be commissioned by attacking clans to mercs clans active in the same time zone of the defending clans.

I just had an idea: allow baseline/free 6 or 8 hours window (3/4 with no protection and 3/4 with soft protection), that can be further reduced to 3 hours by growing (and ultimately prohibitive) costs (meditation or even sort of "riot points", purchased by wealthy players that can play less since they work but have more cash to fund the game), each additional hour has a higher cost.

mrW, I was among those 100k at release and have always been against this 24/7 no lifer grind, so no, sorry, no such poll has ever taken place.

Regards
HG

Reply #9
people need to be less attached to holdings, they should (if we're all having fun) come and go like gear bags

if npc cities were less dull and alignment works out... there may not be the typical exodus after <insert casual clan name here> loses thier home.

would love if the game somehow turned into one where we actually destroy/rebuild holdings on a daily basis with cheaper building costs, more accessible warhulks and cannons etc

Yeah sounds like great fun rebuilding your city every day.

Reply #10
better holdings should have longer vulnerability windows

the worst holdings could be weekend sieges only so casual clans can realistically hang on to them

unless of course the plan is to force such weak clans to live out of someone elses holding

Reply #11
Please have a look at the roadmap, which clearly indicates that raiding watchtowers and racial warfronts will largely replace sieging as a source of PVP. My clan has 39 members: to seige an equivalent clan will cost me 800K. Uber is not planning to reduce these costs. In their vision, sieges will be much rarer than at present.

Reply #12
Please have a look at the roadmap, which clearly indicates that raiding watchtowers and racial warfronts will largely replace sieging as a source of PVP. My clan has 39 members: to seige an equivalent clan will cost me 800K. Uber is not planning to reduce these costs. In their vision, sieges will be much rarer than at present.
What has number of players to do with siege cost? Are you talking about wardeck? They said that wardecks won't be needed for sieges.

Reply #13
War will only be needed to avoid alignment loss for killing people of the same race. That's why war declaration is costly, you pay for a chance to loot your own race members.

Sieges will not require war declaration.
Wyverex Erisian - random scrub who enjoys DF

For the love of all that is holy
Darkfall: New Dawn is not Dungeons & Dragons
[DND or DF:ND =/= DnD]

Reply #14
Info
When a war is declared:

Enemies become orange (free to kill).
Their allies yellow (free to kill only if engaged in the fight).
When initiating a war declaration, there is an upfront cost of 500g per members in each clan involved and their allies.
If one of your allies is already at war with that clan, then you only pay 500g per members of your own clan.
For each day of war, you pay 100g for each member in the enemy alliance.
This can be seen as an abstraction of paying rulers for the right of killing enemies in town. The at war status will enable to reduce by two the cost of sieging watchtowers which should end up paying for itself if you win often enough...

There is an interesting comment on the rules by watchtowers:
If a watchtower is within a holding, and that watchtower's area is overlapping the area of at least one other allied watchtower, then that holding cannot be sieged.

This means that unless waging a daily war to surround a holding, a siege is impossible.

As we want holdings to have more value and encourage players to make them their home, we want attackers to prove their superiority more than once in order to give a wider margin of errors to defenders.

Attacking clans will need to earn their victories, but as a counter point, defenders will need to show they deserve to keep their holdings. This is why we're removing invulnerability shards from the game. Land owners will have to be smart and fight daily to defend their territory. If they fail and get surrounded, then they deserve defeat.

All in all there is a system which has it's similarities and you can find it in PS2.
Come at me!!
In the Darkfall Univers since 2005
- Coding is like Cuisine. Everyone knows good food when they eat it, but what looks easy in the plate could take hours of baking in the kitchen. - DND Godking Dev