Skip to main content

Topic: Albion Online (Read 450 times) previous topic - next topic

Albion Online
40 days post launch, those who have tried it - what are your thoughts?

Personally, I play quite casually (which I like about the game), doing mostly solo PVP or 5v5 Hellgates during guild prime.

updated, new video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTr-sp6k2ZU

Future Roadmap

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  • Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 01:18:26 pm by Adûn

Re: Albion Online
Reply #1
I bought it the first open launch day (3rd day) and played one day and got to level 4 tools and found it so boring it didnt want to make me play it all night as most good games do their first day, so the next day went back to ND and my 30 days has run out without me ever logging in again.

Its a fake sandbox, it gives choices but limits them in a very themepark way and overall is just too shallow for any longevity, but in its favor its a great transition game form the standard fair to something like ND which i suspect will get some players at launch because of it.

(read spoiler after posting :P)
  • Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 06:37:45 am by Mycke
Mycke Soulslayer - Supreme General: Rastalfarian - An all Alfar clan of all play styles in all time zones, welcoming new and vet players alike.

Reply #2
I bought it the first open launch day (3rd day) and played one day and got to level 4 tools and found it so boring it didnt want to make me play it all night as most good games do their first day, so the next day went back to ND and my 30 days has run out without me ever logging in again.

Its a fake sandbox, it gives choices but limits them in a very themepark way and overall is just too shallow for any longevity, but in its favor its a great transition game form the standard fair to something like ND which i suspect will get some players at launch because of it.

(read spoiler after posting :P)

i agree

• L4Mf
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
I occasionally enjoy watering my carrots in Albion.
Kjaetlan Bjornsen of Uprising

• Kenman
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
Made for tablets. Nuff said.
I'm an amateur GFX Artist. I created the RoA logo, BPG logo, many of the forum buttons, and edited their swirl.

But don't misunderstand: I hold no bias. I play both. Great devs on both sides- good, passionate people.

If you'd like GFX work message me.

Grim ReapiN
Proven mongoloid

Reply #5
Looks like PVE. The AI is good!
"Eilis Traee" - Uprising. Clan Crafter and Public Relations.
However, you have to take into account why we are introducing local banking.
In New Dawn, its main purpose is to be a convenience feature.
"Things just got worse."

Reply #6
What I like:
- Can login and inside of 1 minute be geared and in the open world PVPing with no bullshit.
- Combat is a mix between game knowledge, proper ability usage and timing, and mechanical ability and movement, basically in that order. It seems simpler than it actually is.
- Seemingly good balance between "wolves" and "sheep". Blues escaping from solo or small groups of gankers is very doable and generally the norm. This is a good thing.
- Open world objectives which work: Hourly chests, Hellgates every 15 minutes, 1-3 man dungeons, group dungeons, world bosses, rare resources, resource elite mobs, mob camps w/ chests, and the list goes on.
- 5v5 meta is not trivial and takes moba-esque skill.
- Accessibility. Modern-feel. Accessibility, once more.
- Game is actually populated. Apparently, lest we forget, this is in fact a thing, and it matters, a lot.

What I don't like:
- Zerging heavily promoted by essential game design (even though there are quite a few deterrents to it, they're not enough).
- Small scale, despite the above mentioned "content", is still lacking, particularly for solo/duo or groups less than 5. I would have preferred to stay blue and PVP instead in the "black zones" where there is no alignment, but I simply can't do that while risking good gear because the chances of being run over by a group of 10-20 and instakilled is very high. As a result, in order to avoid quitting the game (because I'm a solo PVPer at heart), I've been forced to become an "outlaw" and PK in red zones, which was not at all my preference (though I've come to enjoy it and appreciate the unique challenge).
- Like Darkfall, no lore, sense of story, or connection to the overall world exists, thus I find myself just PVPing to get that solo PVP fix. Modern sandbox games continue to make the critical mistake of providing no context or background to their game worlds, thinking the context players themselves make is enough. It is not.
- Game is lacking in certain QOL (though the roadmap pretty much has it all in store, so this is a temporary problem).

I suppose that's it for now.  My opinion is only from a small-scale PVPer who plays casually, so people who are more heavily invested like Jonah Veil would probably have a lot more in depth to say on the subject. Overall though, the accessibility and ease of access to PVP is what keeps me logging in. Only real Sandbox MMO that can claim that, at present. We shall see what the future holds.

Reply #7
Overall though, the accessibility and ease of access to PVP is what keeps me logging in.
Only real Sandbox MMO that can claim that, at present. We shall see what the future holds.

The game was never really designed with solo pvpers in mind so the fact that there's still so many trying that and somewhat enjoying it is a cool thing but what I quoted above from you is one of the main things AO wanted to bring and I think does it very well. Lots of DF people hate on the game but by being accessible it's already brought in more players that have got to enjoy the full loot mmo experience than darkfall ever has or in my belief (even with DND trying their best) ever will.

Reply #8
Threw together a more legit"fully-edited" Solo OW PVP vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTr-sp6k2ZU

Reply #9
Haven't played albion in ages, is that a warbow? I vaguely remember them being one of the few choices for solo pvp.

Reply #10
never played but it was funny to watch
Emperor Jack - Supreme General of Giants

Reply #11
Some of the worst "music" I've ever heard.

Reply #12
Haven't played albion in ages, is that a warbow? I vaguely remember them being one of the few choices for solo pvp.
Other than now, last I played was briefly 2 years ago and I think that was true at the time, but nowadays you see a fair amount of different weapons for solo/small scale PVP: Double-bladed Staff, Glaive, Daggers, Claws, Bloodletter, Warbow, Bow, Whispering Bow, Frost variants, Great Hammer, Claymore, Dual Swords, Nature variants, and in group fights you see everything. For ganking generally it's just about kill potential, CC, and mobility.

In the video I use: Warbow, Whispering Bow, Dual Swords.
never played but it was funny to watch
Haha you can pull off some pretty funny stuff in the OW, and the usual sandbox salt applies
Some of the worst "music" I've ever heard.
Glad I could broaden your horizons :)

• Raap
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
40 days later and Runescape still kills, ganks, and teabags Albion in the top-down-view MMORPG arena.

Raap - Uprising

Reply #14
40 days later and Runescape still kills, ganks, and teabags Albion in the top-down-view MMORPG arena.
Youtube search for "Runescape pvp 2017" first hit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pnoTpbTVu4

heh