Skip to main content

Topic: Can someone give me a quik update on encumberance (Read 1096 times) previous topic - next topic

Can someone give me a quik update on encumberance
I am thinking of coming back to the game but heard there had been lots of changes on the armor/encumberance/magic side.
What happened and what are the effects, is it seen as balanced or currently out of wack? It sounds like even a tiny bit of encumberance means losing all utility from spells but maintaining damage? So robe or nothing else when wanting to use spells? What about bone?

Re: Can someone give me a quik update on encumberance
Reply #1
I am thinking of coming back to the game but heard there had been lots of changes on the armor/encumberance/magic side.
What happened and what are the effects, is it seen as balanced or currently out of wack? It sounds like even a tiny bit of encumberance means losing all utility from spells but maintaining damage? So robe or nothing else when wanting to use spells? What about bone?

you are good to go with bone....good time to come back than me and tolven and bala don´t have to farm all meditation points ourselves =)
Rorschach MiM

Retired:  Rorschach Greyhead / Marquez VonHinten

Reply #2
Metal armor = best protections, HP regen bonus, resistance to knockback/knockup spells; but comes with penalty to spell casting, secondary spell effects and displacement and penalty to archery damage (because of encumbrance penalty)
Leather armor = medium protections, Stam regen bonus, +Attack Speed, +Melee and Archery damage, some resistance to knockback/knockup spells; but comes with some penalty to spell casting and high penalty to secondary spell effects and displacement
Bone Armor = medium protections (a bit higher Mag prot than Leather, a bit lower Phy prot than Leather), bonus Mana regen, bonus Magnitude, bonus Cast Speed
Robes = lowest protections, bonus Magnitude (tiny bit higher than Bone), bonus Cast Speed (tiny bit higher than Bone) and big bonus mana regen

Both Robes and Bone provide 0 encumbrance penalty to anything.

Also, welcome back and enjoy your stay :)
  • Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 12:40:08 pm by Wyverex
Wyverex Erisian - random scrub who enjoys DF

For the love of all that is holy
Darkfall: New Dawn is not Dungeons & Dragons
[DND or DF:ND =/= DnD]

Reply #3
has anyone actually tested how leather/heavy does with a good (med to high mag) staff now?

don't think I have any

• gosti
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
I've checked 31 encumbrance with corpsecaller resulting with cute volcanos and mini-wofs.

Edit
I wonder if full infernal with 3 Dragon bone parts wouldn't result with sth weird.
  • Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 12:41:17 pm by gosti

• Raap
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
has anyone actually tested how leather/heavy does with a good (med to high mag) staff now?

don't think I have any
Non-functional is the only answer that can be given.

Right now you can outright forget about magic unless you're wearing a robe or bone.

Naturally this means most people wear cheap robes since they offer enough protection while still allowed magic to be cast. The ability to dictate how a fight goes through magic is the most valuable thing to have, much more valuable than some passive protection increases that high magic melts through regardless.

Raap - Uprising

Reply #6
If you charge up your ray, you will still do 60-70 backhit damage in full infernal. It's the secondary effects, way more than the raw damage that gets nerfed with a higher encumberance.
As for movement, you are screwed in heavy armor. Mages can bounce around, you are stuck with pressing W.
ᛟ Charax Hatehunter ᛟ

• gosti
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
Leather's bunnyhoping spells suck as well

Reply #8
Well, for a quick bhop you can use Unburden.

But hopefully they hotfix displacement with some encumbrance soon
Wyverex Erisian - random scrub who enjoys DF

For the love of all that is holy
Darkfall: New Dawn is not Dungeons & Dragons
[DND or DF:ND =/= DnD]

• gosti
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
It's not quick if you have to cast another spell before begone :)

• SomeBK
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
I had to cast unburden to effectively bunny hop even in my 9 encumbrance suits so right now I'm either going 29 or 0

Reply #11
They will add spikes for bunnyhop linked to shrapnel, so that problem is temporary. Also I think that they shouldn't frontload the effect of encumbrance to spell effects, that way they just killed hybrids. I think the opposite would be the correct approach, exponential decrease of spell effects, so that a hybrid can be viable but a pure leather/heavy can't use magic effectively. I don't get it why you did it this way @Ub3rgames
Dunnin Dainstaff - Lux Arcana

Reply #12
They will add spikes for bunnyhop linked to shrapnel, so that problem is temporary. Also I think that they shouldn't frontload the effect of encumbrance to spell effects, that way they just killed hybrids. I think the opposite would be the correct approach, exponential decrease of spell effects, so that a hybrid can be viable but a pure leather/heavy can't use magic effectively. I don't get it why you did it this way @Ub3rgames

They said in discord the see now they made the wrong curve and more of an s curve with more wiggle room in the middle is a better route.
Mycke Soulslayer - Supreme General: Rastalfarian - An all Alfar clan of all play styles in all time zones, welcoming new and vet players alike.

Reply #13
Had a first test and there had been quite a few changes.
In my leather/Scale Mix my blinds are pretty much nonexistant. The effect of Death Fog is very subtle, an effect i haven't seen before.
I was running a blackbolt. I that changing for good with a better staff?
The debuffs and damge seemed to be ok.
Riding without food is just not working it drains my stam like crazy. Though you seem to be able to go on when on 0 stamina.
Buffs now cost magic reg? In robe with two buffs it was really hard to play, so i guess one is max? Which ones are worth it?

• Fnights
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
If you charge up your ray, you will still do 60-70 backhit damage in full infernal. It's the secondary effects, way more than the raw damage that gets nerfed with a higher encumberance.
As for movement, you are screwed in heavy armor. Mages can bounce around, you are stuck with pressing W.

This is because that damn bunny hopping should be trashed altogether. :)
Yes, i know the system is not complete, they have to add grappling hook to non-magic users and more utilities with titles but still is something i'm not able to digest even if they heavy nerfed it, because i still think that mounts should be the first and only movement tool for everyone.
  • Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:47:07 am by Fnights
DnD full roadmap
Darkfall Online (Eu-1)
2009~2012
DF1 broken issues