Skip to main content

Topic: Guide to Weapons bar and Hotbar - How to set them up. (Read 813 times) previous topic - next topic

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Guide to Weapons bar and Hotbar - How to set them up.
This guide is up to date for patch 3.13.

There are plenty of great things you can do with weapons bar and hotbar. In this guide I'll try to explain most of the settings that are at our disposal.
1. Basics about the weapons bar
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

picture 1 - weapons bar

2. Basics about hotbars

picture 2 - hotbar slot options

3. How to access options for a hotbar slot?

4. How to bind a key to a hotbar slot or weapon slot?

picture 3 - input binding options to set up hotbar slots

5. How to select a weapon and a skill/spell with the press of only one button?

6. Hotbar options explained

7. What's the difference between the selection modes for a hotbar multi-slot

8. How to use the mousewheel up and down to select weapons

9. How to set up contextual bindings for weapons

10. Examples:
1. Example - my self heal button setup:

2. Example - Greatsword Whirlwind Setup

PS: if you did changes to your UI and bindings relog to make sure they are saved up. Darkfall only saves changes to the config files if you properly exit it. If you crash or are disconnected from the server without doing this all your changes aren't saved and reset.
/gui_persist_save can also be used to save your changes to the config files but I think the devs said you should use this chat command at your own risk.
  • Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 12:01:09 am by nubnax
Bala Eregi - SG of Pickaxe Inc

Re: Guide to Weapons bar and Hotbar - How to set them up.
Reply #1
haha:) you did it finaly Bala !! :)

amazing guide

Great HOPES

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without HOPE and confidence. Helen Keller

Reply #2
Ty for this

Reply #3
Really Nice!
Mycke Soulslayer - Supreme General: Rastalfarian - An all Alfar clan of all play styles in all time zones, welcoming new and vet players alike.

Reply #4
VERY NICE!
Noah Scape - Supreme General of Seek and Destroy

Let the Race Wars begin!   PVP, PVE, TEAMSPEAK, SIEGES & FRIENDS

Seek and  Destroy recruiting those that will be Alfars at Launch. /tell Noah Scape, Knut Cup, TimothyJB NewDawn or Sargent Pepper if interested in joining our ranks.

Reply #5
@nubnax please add a section on "guide to choosing your weapon / play style" .  What weapon, at what situation, against armor type, plus pro's and cons.  Great Sword was favorite but now Ub3r changed it so other weapon are also desirable. 

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
this guide is purely about setting up your hotbars and weapons bar. choosing your weapon or play style is in my opinion entirely out of scope for this guide. That topic should be it's own guide.
  • Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 07:47:10 am by nubnax

Reply #7
Good guide, this is the most challenging part of darkfall.

Reply #8
So very helpful for the new player.  Thank you!
Old Timers Guild
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." - Socrates

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
added contextual bindings for weapons

Reply #10
Maybe i am doing something wrong but i have an issue with bindings.

I wanna double bind my hotkey for magic and melee use but it doesnt work properly. If i have a staff up and press R i get my fireball and other r50 spells ( all placed in cycle positon 1 to 3 in hotbar), when i have a melee weapon up when i press R i want disabling blow  (placed in last position under same position in hotbar), but i have to press it 2 times before the skill comes up. When i place disabling blow in first position it comes up when pressing hotkey one time but then my magic spells under same hotkey with staff up requires 2 times clicking before it comes up.

Can i make this work with magic and melee skill in one press withing this new hotbar system, if not i have to go back to a script set up.

Another issue with cycle hotkey function is that when i want to switch between 2 spells i have to press my hotkey 2 times to go to 2nd spell. I want the cycle option to function like a cycle option whould be and that is press hotkey 1 time 1st spell and then cast it press key again and then 2nd spell is selected.

In short how do i get rid of the double clicking to go to next spell in my cycle hotkey without having to go back to scripting.

Reply #11

I wanna double bind my hotkey for magic and melee use but it doesnt work properly. If i have a staff up and press R i get my fireball and other r50 spells ( all placed in cycle positon 1 to 3 in hotbar), when i have a melee weapon up when i press R i want disabling blow  (placed in last position under same position in hotbar), but i have to press it 2 times before the skill comes up. When i place disabling blow in first position it comes up when pressing hotkey one time but then my magic spells under same hotkey with staff up requires 2 times clicking before it comes up.

Can i make this work with magic and melee skill in one press withing this new hotbar system, if not i have to go back to a script set up.

Another issue with cycle hotkey function is that when i want to switch between 2 spells i have to press my hotkey 2 times to go to 2nd spell. I want the cycle option to function like a cycle option whould be and that is press hotkey 1 time 1st spell and then cast it press key again and then 2nd spell is selected.

In short how do i get rid of the double clicking to go to next spell in my cycle hotkey without having to go back to scripting.

If I'm understanding what you're asking correctly, on the first issue you dont want the disable under a fireball cycle or vice versa, you actually want them on a different hotbar column, but same row position, that way for example melee on weaponsbar linked to column 1 with disable on row 1, then staff on weaponsbar linked to column 2 with disable on row 1, that way pressing your key for row 1 of current hotbar (default 1 I think) will give you a different selection depending on what hotbar column you're on, and by association what weapon you have out if you use the weaponsbar. Probably a really bad explanation that someone can simplify if you don't get it or they have a simpler way. Look at section 9 of the guide in the first post.

On the second problem, switch from using cycle mode to combo mode. Cycle resets to first position in the cycle after casting, combo lets you continue to the next spell with a single click after casting the first one.

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
i tried to make the contextual binding part of the guide more understandable

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
btw if anyone got a setup he thinks would be a good addition to the example part of the guide, please send me a pm with a description and maybe a screenshot and I'll add it.

Reply #14

If I'm understanding what you're asking correctly, on the first issue you dont want the disable under a fireball cycle or vice versa, you actually want them on a different hotbar column, but same row position, that way for example melee on weaponsbar linked to column 1 with disable on row 1, then staff on weaponsbar linked to column 2 with disable on row 1, that way pressing your key for row 1 of current hotbar (default 1 I think) will give you a different selection depending on what hotbar column you're on, and by association what weapon you have out if you use the weaponsbar. Probably a really bad explanation that someone can simplify if you don't get it or they have a simpler way. Look at section 9 of the guide in the first post.

On the second problem, switch from using cycle mode to combo mode. Cycle resets to first position in the cycle after casting, combo lets you continue to the next spell with a single click after casting the first one.

I understand the combo thing i missed that gonna try that out thx. Edit: Does not change a thing i keep having to double tap to go to next spell or skill or get the double bind (melee skill and magic spell to work) If this isnt a ingame option then i hope DND devs change the double tap to a single tap.

I dont understand what you mean about having melee and magic under one hotkey and if i understand then i maybe cant get it to work like i want it 2. In old DFO my binds and scripts set up was so that on R i had rays and disabling F r50 spells and power attack C for aoe and knock back melee. I dont use hotbar switches since that creates a delay, i always have the same hotbar in front of me all the time.
If i do understand what you said then you suggest using hotbarswitches and pressing the numbers on my keyboard to select a spell or skill. I want to avoid using such a set up at all times in any game i play for very obvious reasons. I dont want too much movement in my left hand, it can mess up my aim, using the 12345 keys means my left hand has to keep in touch with the W key for keep going forward and shift for running and then click 1, thats bad for my hands plus it can mess up my aim. Using R F and C for most used spells and skills makes sure my hand stays more or less in the same position.
I gonna keep trying and finding a solution for this with ingame hotbar system otherwise i have to go back to using scripts, i dont want to mess up my hands or arms while playing a game so the less movement the better.
  • Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 04:03:17 pm by Beoreturns