Skip to main content

Topic: Let's Discuss RoA (Read 20057 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Let's Discuss RoA
Reply #750
https://forums.darkfallriseofagon.com/threads/lastest-changes-and-meditation.14310/#post-212772

Like fish in a barrel.

Let's be honest, no matter how you feel about RoA the shit show has been bigger then anybody thought possible

Reply #751
Another set of coding they just wasted time on then.

BPG

Bad at Planning Games

Reply #752
looks like they reverted their latest patch

Reply #753
anyone whoever thought ROA would be a success with the team and personalities running it, was straight up stupid or deluded or both
"If there is a supreme being, he's crazy."

My IQ is too high for you all.

• Giant
  • [*][*]
Reply #754
anyone whoever thought ROA would be a success with the team and personalities running it, was straight up stupid or deluded or both

SG of Elitist Cuntz

Reply #755
Ongoing classy decisions by BPG:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On an unrelated note, anyone seen this bug in DND - I seem to remember it appeared in DFO too?

• Guy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #756

That would be you.

• Guy
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #757
Big Picture Game - the gift that just keeps giving and giving.

Latest post from Andrew, the self-styled CEO:

Can you count the number of excuses?

Hint: check the arrows

::)

Why isn't anyone talking about the fact that he's wearing a FEDORA..... you nerds been had...

And why would you even take the game on without those tools? Like they didn't think that was going to be a fucking problem? Holy crap..... Darkfall never ceases to amaze.

• Kenman
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #758
Told you guys neither team received anything.

All they really gave us was the code and a couple of fucking website image packs. I was up for many nights just creating icons and website images, logos, etc. It was fucking retarded. And sitting there listening to the coder geeks talk about how fucked up the database was and laughing. Their coders are real hard asses but they know their shit. Kilrain is a boss as coding, neil is newer, and there's one other who's working with the database. Not sure if he's around anymore, but imagine having to create all of the necessary tools with basically only one or two coders.... for a massive MMORPG... it's fucking bonkers.

Give credit where it's due, yes they are excuses, yes they made mistakes, but they're owning up to them. I agree they should be held accountable but at least give them some credit.

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #759
Most of the negatives being pointed out isnt even that they take a long time or there's some buggy stuff going on.
Nor about tweaking stuff, or hot fixing.

Most of it is the simple lack of a plan, or solutions, to (m)any of the problems being brought forth by the playerbase.
And this has been going on for far longer than you might care to admit.
I stopped going to those boards almost a year ago when, after repeated attempts to get discussions going on any subject that matters, they were unable to provide any answer of why those subjects wouldnt be an issue.

With DnD, i can see all sorts of things going wrong with the implementations, the balance, draw backs and lack of solving the real issue. But they have a plan. And they have, perhaps too much so, been willing to discuss that and explain why they are doing something.

If you know WHY alignment is getting changed, you can still think it wont work out. But at least we can all agree that alignment in 1.0 meant shit and it needed fixing. How you solve that problem, is obviously the tricky part.
RoA just went in without a plan, are now constantly having to go back from scratch to go into a different direction because they found a dead end. Meanwhile bleeding players who are bored of waiting for that magical patch that will make the game enjoyable to them. They are bleeding players who arent enjoying the lower and lower population anymore. They are bleeding new players who no longer have starter clans, casuals and viable opponents around anymore. (which hurts the already bad retention rate).

I could go on, but really. This isnt about their coding for me. Its about the lack of a plan, how was that ever meant to come together?
LC Smith would not love it.

Reply #760

All they really gave us was the code and a couple of fucking website image packs. I was up for many nights just creating icons and website images, logos, etc. It was fucking retarded. And sitting there listening to the coder geeks talk about how fucked up the database was and laughing. Their coders are real hard asses but they know their shit. Kilrain is a boss as coding, neil is newer, and there's one other who's working with the database. Not sure if he's around anymore, but imagine having to create all of the necessary tools with basically only one or two coders.... for a massive MMORPG... it's fucking bonkers.

Give credit where it's due, yes they are excuses, yes they made mistakes, but they're owning up to them. I agree they should be held accountable but at least give them some credit.

Make whatever excuses you want for them but like Nuyur said they had no real plan, they believed just keeping DFO2012+QoL+less grind would fly and maybe their worst mistake was rushing launch to be 'first', this all added up to the disaster.

They have actually not been that slow when it comes to patching and im not sure where anyone said they were.
Mycke Soulslayer - Supreme General: Rastalfarian - An all Alfar clan of all play styles in all time zones, welcoming new and vet players alike.

• Kenman
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #761

Make whatever excuses you want for them but like Nuyur said they had no real plan, they believed just keeping DFO2012+QoL+less grind would fly and maybe their worst mistake was rushing launch to be 'first', this all added up to the disaster.

They have actually not been that slow when it comes to patching and im not sure where anyone said they were.

Well when you compare the magnitude of the patches and the velocity at which they come outcompared to dnd, they are slugs.

Reply #762

Well when you compare the magnitude of the patches and the velocity at which they come outcompared to dnd, they are slugs.

Im not sure the word velocity would ever come to my mind when discussing the rate of patching around here, though I do agree about the magnitude. ;)
Mycke Soulslayer - Supreme General: Rastalfarian - An all Alfar clan of all play styles in all time zones, welcoming new and vet players alike.

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #763
I just wish they could make up their minds on where they are taking the game.
So people who dislike it can leave, which makes any feedback they get actually usefull (as much as feedback can be usefull)
And people who like where its going can chose to stick it out, even though they arent there yet.

You'd end up in basicly the same situation we have here right now.
Where the game isnt working as it will be in 6 months (ball park number, make it 6 years if you have doubts).
But at least you know whats coming and you agree with what needs to be changed.

And this is where uber's communication has really been the difference for me.
Cant fault them for wanting to change combat because the why is a very good reason.
The game, even without any character and gear grind, takes months of practice to not completely suck at.
(some might obviously do it faster, but there will be slower ones too)
This means that, even with the best of intentions, the gap between what players of different maturity bring to the table is massive.

To close this gap, which is likely one of the largest retention rate issue's because you get dicked around so hard you feel like its not your fault but the character/gear/team/clan/ect.
And as you progress your character, the gap doesnt close...at all.
As you gear up better, the gap doesnt close...at all.
As you hop clans, the gap doesnt close...at all.
You can obviously join a winning team and be a useless peon in the midst of combat. It will technically be a victory, but you are still just as useless.

So to make getting into combat easier, they needed a way to reduce the tasks players need to take care of.
What are the typical things players consistantly fuck up on, and continue to do so even after they've improved a lot.

-Transfers, transfers, transers. Ive lost count of howmany times ive ran out of stamina, especially in DnD. And the problem is often not doing transfers consistantly. Because burst, you only have limited options. But weaving them between is where it starts to add up.

-Proper distancing. Getting caught in melee, chasing with melee while you cant hit, chasing with ranged and getting turned on with melee because you were too close. Veterans all know what this means, but you need a ton of experience to actually learn how to do this without thinking too much about it. There's more important things to occupy your mind with.

-Tracking friend/foe. The better the player, the more you'll see them not getting a tag but understanding the intentions of the players and therefor knowing which side of a fight they are on.
And to give some credit, chaos players that typically didnt spend all their time in a clan are a lot better at this.
They didnt have the clan/party shields, nor do names light up (light) green. They've practiced this a lot more

-Skill selection. I wanted to just go with spells, but its more about thinking ahead 1~2 seconds so you've queud up the next action instead of literally wasting time by not doing anything. It may only be 0.5-1 seconds every 5 seconds, but reducing that to a minimum is easily 10-20% improvement of your combat capabilities (as long as you also increase the rate of transfers because you'll be using 10-20% more stats too)

Thats ignoring the whole free aiming thing...and moving around in 3d space...and working with/around obsticales...and focus fire...and team healing.

The title system, as hard as it may be to balance, is meant to offer new players a reduction on tasks they need to handle.
And they gain some advantages to make up for what options they forfit. But because of this, veteran players can play around their strenghts or into their weaknesses. The need for this is painfully obvious to me.

Nothing RoA has done has lowerd this gap. And nothing they are planning will either.
Nothing is promoting players to work together, nothing is allowing people to create a foundation for their clan to grow from.
So who exactly are they meant to attract, when a large portion of gamers simply isnt into that kind of game.
And those that remain likely wont want to be the bottom feeder easy kill for months, untill eventually they've build up enough routines they arent a walking loot bag. If 1 out of every 100 new players sticks it out, id already be impressed.
Its just not viable

• Kenman
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #764

Im not sure the word velocity would ever come to my mind when discussing the rate of patching around here, though I do agree about the magnitude. ;)

The velocity is near identical