Skip to main content

Topic: Let's Discuss RoA (Read 20055 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Let's Discuss RoA
Reply #30
The new UI and upgraded texture doesn't make the game look that bad anymore.

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #31
To compare though...
There's 10+ year old games that have more viewers.
Like starcraft broodwar (though im guessing its a single channel with a tournament or something).
There's Tibia which is like a 15+ year old game thats sitting at 2k viewers combined right now...
Not really sure whats going on there....

On the one hand, 500 viewers is great and it might get people to look at it....
On the other hand, 500 viewers is nothing compared to howmany people are actually using the website and you can see some pretty horrible games getting those kinds of viewers if a more popular channel plays through a game.

So...lets not decide its fate based on viewer numbers, and let the video's of the coming weeks/months speak about activity instead.

• Maddi
  • [*][*]
Reply #32
To compare though...
There's 10+ year old games that have more viewers.
Like starcraft broodwar (though im guessing its a single channel with a tournament or something).
There's Tibia which is like a 15+ year old game thats sitting at 2k viewers combined right now...
Not really sure whats going on there....

On the one hand, 500 viewers is great and it might get people to look at it....
On the other hand, 500 viewers is nothing compared to howmany people are actually using the website and you can see some pretty horrible games getting those kinds of viewers if a more popular channel plays through a game.

So...lets not decide its fate based on viewer numbers, and let the video's of the coming weeks/months speak about activity instead.

well, blizzard announced a remastered version. there a millions potential players ;-)

Reply #33
OK - game is running smoothly. Ping at 96-98. Wolflands starter city about 30 players around - no doubt more doing quests and in the other starter areas. Feels bustling but not busy.

UI looks clean BUT feels really bulky - even when re=sized. It doesn't feel part of the game but more like a block sitting on top of the screen. At the moment it's not to my taste but I might get used to it.

The looting system is awful, now that I'm used to the select all/double-click to select the same item type awesomeness of the DND system. It's right click or double click ON EACH FUCKING ITEM to move it into the bag. And I can't double click things to move them into the bank. that's a drag and drop job (unless something's derping when  I try this).

Their spawn scaling system feels really underwhelming compared to DnD's. It seems that you have to be in a party to get more mobs to spawn. Certainly there was downtime of about 30 seconds between waves of goblins which (given the number of players on the spawn actually is a lot of downtime) feels long. One good thing on the quests is that you only have to hit the goblin once to be getting the tick for the quest, rather than be the one to kill the damn thing. Not sure how that's done here.

Tried harvesting. All normal. EXCEPT the nodes have healthbars that lower as you empty them - a GOOD feature. So you can tell if a node is empty when you approach. ( @Ub3rgames )

Got a "nectar of the gods" glowy item from my first 2 quests that gave me 2 points in all my stats, permanently. Felt a bit meh.

All in all, only given it 30 minutes so far, but I know I can't face much more. (But that's less to do with RoA (apart from the fucking inventory management double-click BS) and more to do with DFO fatigue.)

One other good thing is their task system. Keeps you questing in between the main quests :)
  • Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 10:32:38 pm by Maejohl

• Maddi
  • [*][*]
Reply #34
I like the bars on the nodes as well and the fast harvesting. If I think about standing for 15 minutes at a node now..

Reply #35
I like the bars on the nodes as well and the fast harvesting. If I think about standing for 15 minutes at a node now..

Fast harvesting I didn't like. It made everything feel too frenetic. In a post launch game, I want my chilldown time. And that's harvesting, waddling from node to node. In RoA a node is done in less than a minute.  Too quick for  me :)

• Fnights
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #36
There is nothign to discuss at all, RoA confirmed magefall 2.0 since the beginning, if you like old meta play there otherwise wait for the best and new experience here. Easy and simple.

They will add fast harvesting and visual nodes here too, but for dedicated harvesters with a title only. Best thing they can do to enforce specializations and diversity between different playstyles.
  • Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 10:36:50 pm by Fnights
DnD full roadmap
Darkfall Online (Eu-1)
2009~2012
DF1 broken issues

Reply #37
Fast harvesting I didn't like. It made everything feel too frenetic. In a post launch game, I want my chilldown time. And that's harvesting, waddling from node to node. In RoA a node is done in less than a minute.  Too quick for  me :)
I feel like that also happens in dnd now though, maybe i just harvest at the wrong spots, each node lasts like 2 mins max
Emperor Jack - Supreme General of Giants

Reply #38
I feel like that also happens in dnd now though, maybe i just harvest at the wrong spots, each node lasts like 2 mins max

Really - I've not tried the new harvesting? Would hate for it to be fast :(

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #39
You are st the wrong nodes. Nodes that are further away take a while to empry
Bala Eregi - SG of Pickaxe Inc

• Maddi
  • [*][*]
Reply #40

Well, at least the "health" bar is a good thing :P.
The new UI looks good as well. Im really curious what Uber is going to pull off.

Reply #41

Really - I've not tried the new harvesting? Would hate for it to be fast :(

if you are near npc towers/banks it real low return and fast but once you get away from civilization nodes have 100+
Mycke Soulslayer - Supreme General: Rastalfarian - An all Alfar clan of all play styles in all time zones, welcoming new and vet players alike.

• mrW
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #42
Fucking banging with people! This is what DF should always be like.

Reply #43
To be fair, it's nowhere near the launch of 2009. But, like I said, it's bustling in the towns :)

It's not for me as the RoA 'vision' is too short-sighted. But best of luck to them and their team. They had a shitty first hour but things seem to be going smoothly for them now, which is great news for the franchise as a whole.

• mrW
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #44
To be fair, it's nowhere near the launch of 2009. But, like I said, it's bustling in the towns :)
Sadly, I don't think DF can ever reach that greatness of the 2009 september(?)