Skip to main content

Topic: Playing as a pure crafter ? (Read 873 times) previous topic - next topic

Playing as a pure crafter ?
Hello,

I never played DarkFall before but this new iteration seems interesting; I've been looking for a MMO since a long time.
While I might experience combat from time to time, I'm essentially interested in the economy and the crafting mechanics.
Which is why I'm asking you, wise and experienced players, if playing a (almost) pure crafter was viable.

I've found too many MMOs where crafting was either:
1) Useless (or useful only at very high level)
2) A side activity without any specialization or involvment required, meaning fighters were also crafting
3) Completely meaningless because people were usually running one or several alts to do everything by themselves (... in a MMO, yes.)

Thank you for your time  8)

Re: Playing as a pure crafter ?
Reply #1
Hello,

I never played DarkFall before but this new iteration seems interesting; I've been looking for a MMO since a long time.
While I might experience combat from time to time, I'm essentially interested in the economy and the crafting mechanics.
Which is why I'm asking you, wise and experienced players, if playing a (almost) pure crafter was viable.

2) A side activity without any specialization or involvment required, meaning fighters were also crafting
3) Completely meaningless because people were usually running one or several alts to do everything by themselves (... in a MMO, yes.)

Not yet, but as soon as they get markets, local banking and titles in, the world will completely open up for a pure crafter play style, but by then indev will be about to end and launch will be soon. If you want that play style and dont know the game I recommend you jumpin now not with the intent of making a living as a crafter but with the intent of learning the ins and outs so you will be a lot more successful at launch.
  • Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 09:08:53 pm by Mycke
Mycke Soulslayer - Supreme General: Rastalfarian - An all Alfar clan of all play styles in all time zones, welcoming new and vet players alike.

Reply #2
This probably isn't the game you are looking for.
ᛟ Charax Hatehunter ᛟ

Reply #3
They plan for it to be able to support pure crafters, but as Mycke said, those mechanics won't be in for another few months or so.

• gosti
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
This probably isn't the game you are looking for.

No, it isnt. Hopefully it will be though.

• SomeBK
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Hopefully they do it right. If not, it's just going to be altfall where everyone will have their own alt gatherer, alt crafter both to be used to level up spawns for their main

• L4Mf
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
Pure crafter?

You see the issue with crafting in df has always been crafters undercharging (and ofc the usual boring 10s and it's done) so it's never been viable yet.

If you plan to gather your own materials however, then you should be able do do quite well for yourself.

Alternatively you could be a traveling crafter, just offering your services for gold :)
Kjaetlan Bjornsen of Uprising

Reply #7
Pure crafter?

You see the issue with crafting in df has always been crafters undercharging (and ofc the usual boring 10s and it's done) so it's never been viable yet.

If you plan to gather your own materials however, then you should be able do do quite well for yourself.

Alternatively you could be a traveling crafter, just offering your services for gold :)

I actually agree this was one of the fundamental issue in that crafters wanted to make stuff more than people were willing to pay much beyond mat value. the flaw in the system has always been globalility, everyone can get everything everywhere, so there is no real scarcity and all leverage is on the side of the buyer.
Mycke Soulslayer - Supreme General: Rastalfarian - An all Alfar clan of all play styles in all time zones, welcoming new and vet players alike.

Reply #8
Hello,

There will be a purpose for you darkfall is a great crafting game compared to other mmo,s items goes out of the market rather than in, the Main problem IMO is gold is Worth Jack shit after a while

Reply #9
Thank you for your honest answers.
Being in another alt-fest would be a disappointment. I thought subscription might help fight this "I play a MMO but I play it all by myself" problem, but it seems not to be the case.

Have a nice day :-)

Reply #10
While people will have crafting alts probably, because the game will be local banking and titles will benefit crafters in new ways, there should be a demand for high quality items anywhere in the world. Unless you're willing to constantly traverse the world to get what you're after, then people will look for local goods primarily. That's where a dedicated crafter and trader like you could come in :)

I suggest you read the roadmap about the changes they are making. This game might still be something you'd want to try atleast.
  • Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 02:30:30 pm by Xipos

Reply #11
Thank you for your honest answers.
Being in another alt-fest would be a disappointment. I thought subscription might help fight this "I play a MMO but I play it all by myself" problem, but it seems not to be the case.

Have a nice day :-)
I think you have the wrong impression.  This game should be perfect for you at launch.  But ok.  You have to buy another copy of the game and pay another sub to have an alt.  Only few ppl bother doing that. And then you actually have to level the crafter.
  • Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 08:20:10 pm by spoonlord

• Fnights
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
Yes, you are in the right place, this feature is not in yet but with the coming titles and limitation to masteries you can specialize and become a pure crafter, wandering with your "caravan" to market place hubs, vendors and player houses to sell your raw mats or creations.
  • Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 07:27:11 pm by Fnights
DnD full roadmap
Darkfall Online (Eu-1)
2009~2012
DF1 broken issues

Reply #13
Definitively in my mind, working very well when the game will be finished/released.

I am convinced that this will be an other big added value to the player as to the economy within the game.

So Yes!

Great Hopes
Great HOPES

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without HOPE and confidence. Helen Keller

Reply #14
Craftingin Darkfall has always been about gathering mats, and then hitting "Combine".    If you don't like gathering mats (harvesting and PvE) then IMO the game will hold nothing for you.