Skip to main content

Topic: staff magnitude effectiveness (Read 327 times) previous topic - next topic

staff magnitude effectiveness
So, I was testing the effectivness of staff magnitude a couple days ago, and a sacred missle cast with a .6 cobra only does about 1.5 damage more than one cast with a .11 blackbolt on a robed target. Is this normal? and if it is, why are magnitude enchants viewed as mandatory for staffs? I understand that every little bit of damage adds up, but it doesnt seem like the small increase in damage justifies the much higher cost between an unenchanted blackbolt and a cobra with a q3 or 4 magnitude. 

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: staff magnitude effectiveness
Reply #1
Remember all the times i wrote that having a cobra staff isnt mandatory, that players arent dependant on any specific resource thats localized currently....

Welcome to DFO. Where people set standards for themselves, which others copy without fully knowing what they get themselves into, or what they gain from it.

That said, magnitude on bolts is a lower multiplier. You'll see a bigger damage gap while using rays.
Dont know the exact numbers, but this minimal increase is exactly why fast staffs are the only ones being used.
Even if you could have a 1.08 magnitude staff, that casts only 25% slower...it still wouldnt be worth it because the damage gained is minimal.

Reply #2
During long drawn out fights those extra 2 damage are going to make a difference
Azmoodeus Barnmere
Garbage Men

• mrW
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
That's the case with a lot of things in DF. Also the difference in backhits is bigger. DF is a game where all the little differences add up.

"Our title system is an expansion of the titles in the same spirit than the destroyer title. These will NOT be classes and will be completely optional."

Reply #4
It makes me wonder why people get so obsessed over grinding for gear. The difference between infernal and Dragon armor for example is less than half a point per protection (and in some cases less) but dragon is much harder to get.

I understand people like to min max, but wouldn't a better use of people's time be dueling or going out and losing scale sets?

In the OP cobra example for instance one missed shot with a cobra is the same damage loss as around 30 hits with black bolts vs cobra.

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Well, it sort of depends on how you farm.

Im going to use DFO as a reference here, because plenty of people still need to grind their char here...
which impacts how you want to PvE

In DFO, there were only a few things still being used to farm (efficiently).
Melee, which means you are trading hp in the most rapid way possible. Taking the damage from the monster straight up, while using daggers to drop them. This way of farming forces you to constantly heal up, not run into multiple monsters at a time, while having a clear/short way out to safety.
I know it doesnt come close to a pvp setting, but the general bindings you use are very similar.
Spending an hour duelling will teach you more, but the muscle memory involved with swapping between weapons can be practiced in PvE just the same.
And while the "run away and heal" moment is a lot easier to pay attention to, its something you need to just feel out in pvp.
So to practice things in PvE isnt a waste of time.

If you happen to melee duo farm, there's 2 options.
Either both of you hit, and whoever gets targetted parries.
Or one of you hits, and the other heals.
In both cases, again, you will be using bindings that are common in PvP aswell.
Not quite as effective as doing real team fights ofcourse, but you cant always do that.

And lastly, as ive said before, you want to learn your setup.
Which means that training in a 20 encumberance gear set, while the real deal is closer to 60, is making you go off beat when it really matters. You'll be waiting 0.5~ seconds longer for that transfer to finish, you'll heal slightly less, you'll shoot arrows slightly slower.
All those little bits make it feel uncomfortable.

Training is pay attention to the little things (once the basic bindings and knowledge are there), you wont learn those unless you use the real deal. And that is exceedingly expensive to do. (pro tip, not casting spell haste can make it seem like you have higher encumberance on the magic front)

Reply #6
Every little helps and that's not just some word of wisdome, it's facts.

How many spells do you cast per fight? You cast so many time you break your staff that has 100 durability on your first pve run. You break many staves as you duel a lost.

A bit of difference is a lot when you think about it and there's a lot of spells that never misses such as healself.

1 day, i've been farming with cobra and bolts. It was easy. As soon as my cobra was broken, i had to pick-up a .11 blackbolt. It took a lot longer to clear the spawn and it wasn't satisfying at all. I was also burning a lot more regs trying to clear 1 spawn.

So instead of comparing 1 cobra missle to 1 BB missile, compare 100 to 100.

It only proves that faster staves are better and mandatory. I think the whole speed thing should be removed and replaced.

About myself

I like to min-max too, but Q2 cobra is part of my min-maxing build. BB sux in comparison in a long fight.
  • Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 08:22:57 pm by Bloodymurderer

Reply #7
It makes me wonder why people get so obsessed over grinding for gear. The difference between infernal and Dragon armor for example is less than half a point per protection (and in some cases less) but dragon is much harder to get.

I understand people like to min max, but wouldn't a better use of people's time be dueling or going out and losing scale sets?

In the OP cobra example for instance one missed shot with a cobra is the same damage loss as around 30 hits with black bolts vs cobra.
Sounds like you haven't fought many people in full dragon, because it's incredibly painful.
Asgrim Blackforge
Epoch