Skip to main content

Topic: (dated) Crucial things new & returning players have to know about New Dawn (Read 1209 times) previous topic - next topic

(dated) Crucial things new & returning players have to know about New Dawn
Here's a quick overview for the most important changes in New Dawn compared to the original Darkfall (DFO) which are not explained or hidden in the game. People asked a lot of questions about these things in chat lately, and most new/returning guys seem not to know about crucial things.
New Players be aware this is not a Tutorial or Guide Thread, but there will be links at the bottom.

These changes came to my mind first (feel free to add):

Important for new and returning players:

• New Inventory functions
    For a more convenient inventory management you can now use CTRL+Leftclick to draw a square to mark multiple items at once or CTRL+Leftclick multiple items one by one (like in windows explorer).
    You can expand your selection holding CTRL and 1x Doubleclick on item to mark all identical items (ie. all Blackbolts), 2x Doubleclick to mark all items of the same type (ie. all Bows or all Studded parts), 3x Doubleclick to mark all items in the bag.
    There now is a auto-sort function as well on 'U' default.
    more details: Patch 3.0.1

• New Hotbar/Weaponsbar functions
    Explained in this Thread by nubnax.
    For new players: At the very start you don't necessarily need all of these functions but be aware that a good configuration for movement+spells/skills is key to a decent fighting flow. "Good" in this case means a minimum of needed keypresses to execute a spell or skill. For a general idea of how to make a working config also check this post

• Frontloading aka diminishing returns
    The power you get from each point on skills and stats (str, vit, dex, ...) becomes less the higher the skill or stat is. For example at 30 str you already have about 60% of the power this stat gives you when maxed at 100 (the curve of the power you get for each point is not linear). This means you are able to participate in fighting faster and have to grind a lot less than before.
    This counts for Spells, too, as well as for magic schools passives!
    more details: https://darkfallnewdawn.com/2016-07-20-diminishing-returns-anti-grind-impact/

• Sprinting mounts
    Use sprinting on normal mounts (bluetails do not have this function) to ride faster.
    For now this drains stamina of your character. A seperate stamina bar for mounts is planned

• XP gains for fighting rebalanced
    The gains you get are dependant on the damage you deal per hit and the max HP of the mob you are attacking.
    So for better gains use better Gear and fight tougher mobs

• Linked Spells
    Every Spell which is difficult to be raised without using a macro now is linked to their Magic School or Magic Schools passive. This goes for all Selfbuffs, Buffs, Shields, Heals.
    For example every of these spells that is available at 1.0 of their school is linked to the school skill directly, every available at 25 is linked to the 1st passive of this school, and so on
    more details: Patch 2.5

• Spawn scaling
    Mobs now scale up for each additional player who is engaged to the spawn. Some mobs respawn faster while others become stronger. Scaled mobs drop more loot
    more details: Patch 2.5 and Patch 3.4 for Engagement system and Spawn scaling

Important for returning players:

• Weaponstats rebalanced  Patch 3.3
  • Several spellrequirements adapted i.E. witches brew @ witchcraft 1.0 Patch 2.2
  • Removal of fizzles Patch 2.4
  • Begone in all directions
  • There is no recall + waterlogging fixed
    For now you can use Runestones for teleport. Fast travel on roads is planned
  • No more gains in PvP for now

As said this list is far from being complete with all changes. Its meant to cover the most crucial things.
A look through the patchnotes thread is still recommended

Benevolence's Guide for new players
Mycke's Guide for new players
(both guides might be outdated in some parts due to recent updates but they still give you very useful information about the game)
nubnax' Weaponsbar/Hotbar Guide
Darkfallmap.com
New Dawn Craftingsheet
New Dawn wiki
  • Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 02:22:49 pm by skibba
ingame: Dropkick Skibba

Re: Crucial things to know about New Dawn for new and returning players
Reply #1
Great list!

I would also point out the new power hour skill

patch 3.7
Power hour:
- We have added a new skill that you can find in General Skills.
- The power hour skill will double all xp gained both in PvE and crafting for 1 hour.
- Power hour can be triggered once every 22h.
- The hour will stop counting down if you log off and will resume on loging on.

Re: Crucial things to know about New Dawn for new and returning players
Reply #2
@Ub3rgames time to create a dedicated New Player/Tutorial/Guide forum section and move this and all these great posts there.

A guide to an easier Darkfall existence!
https://forums.darkfallnewdawn.com/index.php/topic,2492.0.html

New Map that Redseal and I have been working on
https://forums.darkfallnewdawn.com/index.php/topic,1070.0.html

Updated Geckzilla Map
https://forums.darkfallnewdawn.com/index.php/topic,3371.0.html

New Players are you lost?
https://forums.darkfallnewdawn.com/index.php/topic,1204.0.html

Mycke's guide for New Players
https://forums.darkfallnewdawn.com/index.php/topic,1894.0.html

Guide for (Almost) Full screen windowed mode
https://forums.darkfallnewdawn.com/index.php/topic,1338.0.html

Darkfall Graphics Mod
https://forums.darkfallnewdawn.com/index.php/topic,2652.0.html
  • Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 06:58:15 am by lambdaExpression

Re: Crucial things new & returning players have to know about New Dawn
Reply #3
how do i spend med points?

Reply #4

Open up journal on the right is meditation open that then clcik bottom 'enable meditation' now from the list it has two tabs skills and attributes pick something and confirm (I recommend either lessor magic to 50 or if its at 50 then do greater magic to 50 to get access to all the schools for starters. Meditation will happen while you log off as a form of offline skilling.
Mycke Soulslayer - Supreme General: Rastalfarian - An all Alfar clan of all play styles in all time zones, welcoming new and vet players alike.

Reply #5

Open up journal on the right is meditation open that then clcik bottom 'enable meditation' now from the list it has two tabs skills and attributes pick something and confirm (I recommend either lessor magic to 50 or if its at 50 then do greater magic to 50 to get access to all the schools for starters. Meditation will happen while you log off as a form of offline skilling.

Thanks, just one problem; my journal is totally blank. Relogging hasn't fixed it. I'm going to have to reinstall, aren't I?

Reply #6

Thanks, just one problem; my journal is totally blank. Relogging hasn't fixed it. I'm going to have to reinstall, aren't I?

It might be blocked by your firewall/antivirus?
Mycke Soulslayer - Supreme General: Rastalfarian - An all Alfar clan of all play styles in all time zones, welcoming new and vet players alike.

Reply #7

It might be blocked by your firewall/antivirus?

no luck, i'll tinker with it more in the morning. i also can't purchase stam to health transfer for some reason kek. thanks for the help anyway.

Reply #8
@Rokaroo
When you have issues like that, you can get help by doing /gm_help.
We answer as quickly as we can, or will contact you through forums private messages when we missed you.
We'll troubleshoot your issue with you and get you up and about. :)

For the journal, it may indeed be your anti virus blocking it. The journal uses a secondary executable that gets integrated in the main window.
What you want to do is white-list the entire installation folder in your antivirus, then delete these two files located in the data subfolder: SFBrowser.exe and state.sfs. This will validate your install next time you launch the game.
You may also try to launch the game in administrator mode.

For the purchase of items/skills that do not go through, please go in Options-> GUI options -> Confirm purchase and uncheck it.
There is a bug that sometimes prevents purchase confirmation windows to appear and it causes quite the confusion.

Let us know if you got through both issues.
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

Reply #9
@skibba and @all
"Give me a PM or post here if you need an idea of how to make a working config or have other questions about this"

I and probably other new players (as old) should be really interested if you can share how you organize your working config. I did not have something still optimized in my mind between my different bars, spells and so on.

Thanks a lot Skibba for your post, very very helpfull

Great HOPES

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without HOPE and confidence. Helen Keller

Reply #10
@Ub3rgames @Mycke

Both issues resolved by suggested remedies, thanks for assistance.

Reply #11
@Eradore
Thanks for feedback =)

At the moment I'm more or less inactive and my config is party not working anymore because of recent updates, but here is a description of the main parts so you get an idea.
For how to enable the mentioned options (autocast, combo-mode) check the initial post.

*The first step for a good config for me was to change from WASD to ESDF for movement. It feels weird at first and you have to get used to it but this basically gives you a good handful of new keys in reach (also this is useful in other games). Shift every crucial binding around like 'use' or 'unsheath' one to the right as well then.
You get another key with the 'C' key since 'alt+c' enables toggle-crouch which is all you need.

*Set all self-centred spells (heals, buffs, ...) to 'autocast'.

*Drag & drop your staff to every spell in the vertical bar (hotkeybar) so you can use the spell by just pressing it's key, without an extra swap to staff needed.
For cycles it's usually enough to assign it just to the first spell.

*Use every button you have available on your mouse, too.
For example assign 'enter menu mode' on one of the side-buttons.

*Find logical sets of spells that you can assign to 1 key and switch through them via 'combo mode'.
For example all self-healing spells on 'A' lets you perform a healing-cycle with just pressing 1 key.
This also goes for self-buffs, transfers, buff-others but also for damage-combos like dragonbreath-fireball-dragonbrath-firebolt (I have this combo on right mouse-button which comes very handy to just press for a full damage combo in a fight). Check though if you still need an extra key with a single spell which you already have in a cycle.
For example even though you have a set of all three transfers (stamina to health, mana to stamina, health to mana) to cast a full transfer-cycle it is useful to have each of these on a single extra key.

*In the horizontal bar (weaponsbar) it's good to have one weapon of each kind: 2H-Melee, 1H+Shield (you need a shield for blocking spells), Bow (assigned with disable-shot if you are a mage), Staffs. I have my staff 3 times in the weaponsbar to have a different assigned-spell and hotkeybar for each of them available (3 in total).

Here some shots maybe it helps.

If you have more questions let me know since I'm in a hurry and maybe forgot something.

• Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 11:40:26 pm by skibba
ingame: Dropkick Skibba

Reply #12
@skibba

Thank you so much, and perfect. I will test this now in game.

Really appreciate
Great HOPES

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without HOPE and confidence. Helen Keller

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
@skibba
can you add a small detail to the New Inventory functions part. not only can you ctrl+double click to select the same items. you can then ctrl+double click again to expand the selection. for example: ctrl+double click bone chest selects all bone chests, wait shortly, ctrl+double click again selects all bone armour pieces, when you do it again it selects all armour pieces no matter what type of armour
Bala Eregi - SG of Pickaxe Inc

Reply #14
map changes and mount inventory?
Dunnin Dainstaff - Lux Arcana