Skip to main content

Topic: Mycke's guide for New Players (Read 2993 times) previous topic - next topic

Mycke's guide for New Players
This is not really a walk through, but just a collection of things new players should know. This will be an ongoing project I'll continue to add too.

1) Game Perspective:

You are going to die and you are going to lose stuff, get over it now because its just part of the game no matter who you are or how strong you may be, you will die and you will lose stuff. Early on what you lose will rarely have much real value no matter how valuable it may seem to you now. Early on its all about skilling up and everything you do or acquire one way or another will be applied to skilling up. You will use gear to fight, regs to cast spells, mats to craft and money to buy abilities, so look at everything you have as a means of character development early on, because those skill ups will help you survive in the world more than whatever loot you may have on you at any one time.

This is a harsh world but its those dangers that make the game fun, so get good at surviving and cutting your loses and as you play and develop you will get better at pvp, so you will be able to turn the tide and win fights, but early on learning how to 'not die' or 'not lose much' will be skills that will serve you well.

2) Banking:

Mycke First Law of Darkfall: If you are wondering if its time to bank, it is,

In Darkfall everything on you can be lost if you die, but everything in your bank is safe so bank everything you don't want to lose and only carry on you what you need. If you are farming and start feeling like you have a lot of loot, go bank for early on its pretty hard to bank too often since you will be close to one, but later game you will have to decide between efficiency and risk as banks will not always be near. Think of DF as a two steps forward one step back game, but if you dont bank enough it will be two steps back and you will tread water. If you get something that sounds special from a mob or chaos chest (house deed, safe, chest key etc,) go bank it right away.

You also want to organize your bank pretty early and you can do that with bags each to hold a specific general type of item. So you can have an armor bag, weapons bag, tools, food and pots, resources, etc and later you can put bags in those bags to separate bows from sword from staves. You can name a bag by clicking it and then hitting backspace and the field will pop up and just hit return to finish naming. Later you will make 'ready bags' which will be premade gear bags with everything you like to have on you when you head out, then you just grab one and go.

3) Quests:

You access your quests from NPCs by clicking the quest tab at the top of their window and your first quest will be with the councilor NPC who is right near you when you first spawn. Everytime you finish a quest click on the quest tab on that NPC to see if you got a new quest. There are actually 3 starter cities each with its own starter quest chain, so if you are running into difficulty on your current chain you can go to another starter city and start another similar chain from the beginning. These chains are quite long and get progressively harder so you will likely find yourself working on all 3 as you develop, plus there are other higher tier chains you will unlock as you play.

There are also repeatable quests as well, in town the merchant will unlock a 12 meat farming quest, though the material rewards are probably not worth the meat the meditation points are. Then many outposts (Banks with NPCs and a guard tower) and wilderness banks (Banks without a tower) will have a ' kill at least 10 {insert local mob} in 1 hour" and you will get extra reward for every one you kill over the 10 and the scale is slightly exponential so killing a lot gives a lot more reward than killing a little. These can be very good quests especially if the mob drops loot you like anyway, so spending a full hour on them can be very worth it and then you get bonus gold and meditation points at the end, though in general the better the loot the less are possible to kill in an hour so you often have to choose between good loot and so so quest rewards or average loot but potentially great quest rewards (like man scorps one can kill maybe 60, but they drop runestones, where kobolds only drop common loot but you can kill up to like 250 and get way more med points and gold.

Your quest rewards will get bonuses depending on how blue your alignment is and how long you have been that way, so a 12 point max blue who has been that way for a bit will receive a 260% bonus to all quest rewards including items, money and med points.

4) Looting and Skinning:

Pretty much everything in DF has some value, at worst it sells to vendor for tiny amounts of gold, but be careful what you vendor most things sell to player for more than the vendor pays, only low end gear (crude swords, cloth armor etc...) and gems should be vendored early.. Loot everything from graves and always skin graves, the mats can be worth more than the grave loot and early on just save everything until you understand what they are and how useful they are to you. Not everything on low end mobs is low end, for example cheese can get good money from more developed players even though they drop from noob mobs and some skinning mats are much rarer or more useful than others.

In general early on assume everything is useful to you until you understand it enough to know that it isn't. Even gear you think isn't for your playstyle can come in handy, like even if you are a mage some spawns are just easier if you wear metal armor and go melee. Some mobs that don't drop gold will drop gems instead and though some are used in crafting they can be vendored early on for money, since each kind has a mob that drops it should you need them later,

5) Playstyle

Unlike most games where you play a specific archetype, In DF everyone has some hybriding. Every build will want a staff to cast at least lessor magic like heal self, heal mount, launch (to get over or on high things) and the transfers (health to mana, mana to stam and stam to health) and you will want to carry a few of certain regs on you to cast them. Also every toon will want a 1h weapon and a shield (that can be placed on the same weapon bar slot to be pulled as one and I can not stress enough how much parrying can save your life so getting good at switching to 1h and shield and into a parry is a really useful early personal skill (i moved parry to my middle mouse button for easy use) that will save your life.

Also almost everyone will also have a 2h weapon and a bow because the best way to fight in a small cramped area is melee and 2h do a lot more damage than most 1h. Bows are even useful for mages because magic makes you glow and gives up your location, archery is much more stealthy and arrows can be arced into places many spells cant as well as having longer range, plus they can be used under water unlike magic. So even though I am primarily a mage who uses a staff, if I am farming a spawn and a mob gets close with low hp, I will finish it off with my polearm, or if my mana gets low I will use archery for a bit and let it regen or if I get in trouble I will pull out my 1h and shield and parry walking backwards out of the spawn. Everything has its place and you want to mold a playstyle that fits you.

6) Keybindings: (they are expanding on this system and im waiting for next patch to update)

You actually have a 10 x 10 hot bar you can open with the little arrow near the top to see all 10 rows at once and though it may look like overkill to you now, it is not unlikely one day you will be using them all. Below you have a 6 slot weapon bar that is intially linked so if you pull the first weapon the hot bar jumps to row 1, so you want to put things on the rows that align with the weapon being pulled on the weapon bar. You can change the row your weapon is linked to in the bottom right corner of the specific weapon square and you can have multiple linked to the same hotbar, which is good for different melee weapons since melee skills overlap for any weapon you have that skill in.

Over time you are going to want to mold a key set up that works for you by going into Options - Input Bindings you can bind just about anything to any key or combo. Though its completely personal just to give you some ideas my middle mouse is parry and my right is open gui, my main 2h is q and bow is e and staff is z and 1h+shield is x, f1 is heal self f2-4 are the 3 transfers f5 is heal mount. I removed shift from sprint and just toggle sprint with cap lock so I can use shift combos like shift f-g-h are my 3 pots heal-stam-mana, shift q is my skinner and shift e is my mount. Anyway these are just examples, but you want it to work for you, with the idea its easier to learn specific keys and combos than to always have to worry about which row of key bindings you are on,

7) Player Interaction:

Mycke's Second Law of Darkfall: Everything is a troll until proven otherwise

There are players out there looking for an easy mark, so be very careful and give your trust sparingly. People will party up with you or invite you to clan just so they can kill you without getting an alignment hit, people will get into clans you are allied to or even your own and start killing and looting people. The easier it is to get into a clan the more likely it has spies and enemies in its ranks so always assume there is some danger, even from those you think of as allies. Not everyone is this way and you will meet cool people, but never extend your trust farther than you can afford to lose.

On the positive side of player interaction, should you run into someone blue out in the wild and they quickly crouch and stand up a few times, that is a sign they mean they aren't hostile, though always be wary, but as a rule most people follow this convention and you should crouch a few times back to say you aren't hostile too.

When in a party it is bad form to loot in the middle of a fight (combat looting) and can lead to conflict, especially in PvP where it can make your side lose, because while they are fighting you are looting. Also while in a party get use to healing and buffing others, it will skill the spells up and help the team. As a rule if you see someone parried up and walking backwards it means they are hurt and could use a heal.

8) Personal Skills:

Early on there are 4 player skills you want to practice and get good at because they are fundamentals of combat, like before when I mentioned parrying with 1h and shield. Always keep in mind you take 40% more damage to the back.

Weapon switching:

If you are using a staff as a mob approaches you and then it gets real close, quickly switch to 2h and get a few shots in and then if it starts running away switch to bow or staaff and start peppering it in the back. If you are a melee in trouble, switch to 1h and shield and back wards parry until you break line of sight and then quickly cast heals and transfers then switch to bow to get some shots in as you reclose pulling out your 2h to melee again. At a more advanced level you might have two 2hs as a melee (like daggers for pinned enemy and 2h ax for normal) or 2 staff types as a mage (A fast low magnitude staff for quick casting heals and a normal for general combat) and will use the one that best suits the situation, there are 6 weapon bar slots for a reason.

Squirreling:

This is the art of running around randomly, especially when trying to evade enemy range fire, so by making small erratic turns as you run away you become very hard to target. In PvP this is going to be your main survival mechanism and will come to include using terrain to put obstacles between or sharp turns around a buildings edge or using a dip in a hill to break line of sight. Later as you develop this will become three dimensional as you use double jump, launch, storm blast etc to get on and over things. Also part of squirrelling is healing yourself while doing it, so instead of just running you are eating, drinking  pots, casting heals, transfers, rage or even buffs. Don't let yourself get too low and always begin squirreling and healing at 50% or even 66% full, otherwise you get into panic survival mode and get put purely on the defensive.

The 180 jump shot:

Though mobs will let you just back peddle and range them, players are not so kind and you are going to want to practice running away charging bow or spell and then jumping doing a 180 in the air, releasing bow/staff to hit them and returning to forward position while still in air to land keeping momentum. I highly recommend you practice this on mobs even though many wont need you to play at this level, because when the time comes you need to play on this level you want to have this timing down well enough you can at least score some hits. This can also be adapted for jump 180 shielding, so you are running and when you hear the spell or bow you jump turn 180 and parry up flying backwards and with double jump you can continue flying backs paried for the second jump.

In general if you are fighting someone in a clan always asume more people will be coming so if a fight is wearing on you may want to use your squirreling or jump shooting just to create enough space to spawn a mount and run.

Stat management:

In DF stat management is hugely important and beyond the healing spells (heal self and witch's brew) there are 3 'transfer' spells (stam to health, mana to stam and health to mana) which have quick cooldowns and will be your main management skills, so by taking what you have the most of and turning it into what you have the least of, you can maintain your stats. Also there are pots for each stat and the small ones you wont use later so just use them now getting use to potting as part of your stat management routine. Lastly there is food that all give the same buff with different durations that increases your health and stam regen rate, always have food buff going when doing anything that takes stam.

9) Important prereqs

Many skills have prerequisites and I will break some of the more important down here by type

Melee:

20 weapon opens power attack
30 disabling attack
40 knockback
50 weapon opens Whirlwind
60 seize
75 weapon opens mastery

Archery:

50 opens veteran archer (use less stam) and disable
75 opens sharpshooter (archery mastery) and spirited archer (reduces draw time)

Magic:

25 school opens durable magic
50 school opens mana efficiency
75 school opens quicken
100 school opens intensify

50 Lesser Magic opens Greater Magic
25 Greater Magic opens witchcraft and Spellchanting
50 Greater magic opens all other spell schools
75 Lesser and 50 Greater opens Mark Teleport rune
75 Greater opens Veteran Mage (use less stam)

Stats:

30 Wisdom opens Maintenance (lose less dura on gear)
40 Wisdom opens Trueforge weapon and arnor (More durability on items you craft)
50 Wisdom opens Industry (craft faster)

40 Strength and 40 vitality opens Rage (heals and gives elemental protect while wielding weapon)

50 int opens mana conservation
75 Int opens Archmage and Reagent Conservation (RC also needs 75 in greater magic)

Harvesting:

75 in a harvest skill opens up mastery

10) Inattentive play

DF kind of has two play modes attentive and inattentive for there are a lot of things one can do in game that don't take much attention. For attentive play people will explore/pvp/pve/siege etc, but during your play week if you have semi attentive time you want to use that for harvesting and crafting. So if you are watching a movie with your significant other, have your toon hitting nodes in a town or grinding out crafting so if you can get like 10 hours a week in semi attentive it will allow you to have the resources you need to dedicate your attentive time to do fun things.  Try and take advantage of this semi attentive time during the week to build up resources and get crafting done and you will be able to have a lot more fun during those hours you are playing fully attentive.

11. Mounts (Normal and battlehorn mounts can now sprint but waiting for next system layer to further explain)

Unlike many games where mounts are unique to a player in DF they are basically disposable items, but are kind of hard to get early on. Each of the three starter chains gives a mount so if you need another move to another starter city and see the councilor to start another quest chain. You can also harvest herb bushes for steadgrass, but at low herb gathering and wisdom the drop rates are very low and I had to get to about 25 herb gathering skill before I got my first one. You can also just buy them from players at around 500ish (+-100) gold each, but thats a lot of money early on so its best to do the three starter quests.

Once you get off a mount anyone can get on it so hit your 'alternate use' button for the despawn pop-up (you can not dismount or despawn with a weapon drawn) and once you have lessor magic high enough you want your heal mount spell so you can keep them alive. Watch out when spawning mounts because they can spawn pretty far away if you are aimed off in the distance so watch where you are targeting. Each race has its own mount so there are 6 basic types plus the Bluetail which is a squishy fast mount and the Battlehorn which is a big high hp mount.

12 World Map: (The map has been vastly improved recently and this section will be updated soon)

The world map doesn't have a lot of info but if you scroll it all the way out you can see the capital cities with orange dots and the 3 surrounding starter cities with yellow (good for finding the other starter quest chains). If you have a quest the local mob spawns of that type will show on the map and other quest locations will show as well. It will also show the bindstone you are currently bound to as a blue circle and name, also if you are near NPC they will appear on it as well, but the range is fairly short.

The most useful part of the map is the ability to mark it, if you type /annotate_add (you can also just type / and tab through the / commands until you get to it, they are alphabetical so its only the third one) and then what ever word (you can only type one but just combine words into one) you type after will show up on the map with a red square marking your current location, when you hit return. I think the map is currently limited to 100 annotations but not 100% sure, but still this is a very useful function I recommend taking advantage of for places you find interesting.

13 Enchanting and Skinning

Enchanting is a crafting type that is pretty much useful no matter how high or low it is, though since it skills slow few will bother to level it high, its still pretty handy to have and use when you can. Enchanting is adding extra attributes to items but not all items can be enchanted. Rings, necklaces, head and chest protection and shields can all hold one enchant where weapons and staves can hold two enchants as well as be transmuted. Transmutation to weapons takes some of their basic damage and turns it into one of the 4 elements, so if you wanted to farm fire elementals, a water bow would do more damage than a normal of the same tier. Staves can also be transmuted for any of the 8 major spell schools and will make spells from that school more powerful.

So the way you get enchanting mats (note: they are used in other crafting too) is by skinning though they are dropped as well and they come in 5 tiers q1-q5 (q stands for quality level) with low level mobs giving q1 with an occasional q2, medium mobs will skin for q2 and q3 with an occasional mob specific q4 and higher mobs giving q4s and 5s and sometimes larger quantities of qs1-3. Every mob skins for different things and different sub tyes will have different skins as well and some skins are mob unique, so goblin teeth q2 only come from goblinoids and some are much scarcer than others even for the same q. So you always want to skin everything especially if you see a mat you haven't seen before, but also note I never got a q4 before i hit 50 skinning and you might need 75 for q5.

Here is a chart of the enchants, transmutes and also where to get enchanting mats (as well as all the crafting charts too)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dmziCMrsVYfuJ2lLLN9VzoVUWbhhjpG0ve9kWt9m03o/pubhtml#

When enchanting it takes 3 different mats 5 of each and a catalyst (numan nith ichor) +100 gold but each addition enchant done at the same time is 1/2 price, so to double enchant and transmute a bow would only cost 200 if all 3 were lined up and done with the same process. Enchanting never fails unless your recipe is wrong so always double check them before clicking the enchant button. As you acquire mats start enchanting your weapons to do more damage or put resistances on rings you can wear into mob spawns that do that damage, there is a lot of useful ways to enchant. To give an example I had to kill a flesh golem, but with my r20 bow it was a struggle against his regeneration, so I took an r40 bow I got as a reward from a quest and added magnitude and golem slaying to it and then I was able to kill them reasonably well.

When doing enchanting you can do multiple enchants on weapons at once, where you set up 2 or 3 (transmutes are enchants) at the same time before hitting the button. This method is both faster and also cheaper because each additional enchant only costs 50 (so 2 is 150 and 3 is 200), but you only gain skill for 1 enchant so if you can afford it, then its probably best to do them one at a time for better skill-ups.

14. Leveling up mobs

Certain humanoid mobs in the game will level up after doing a fair amount of damage to you and will become an upgraded version with a new name and possible bonus drops of money and specific items. The upgraded mobs are not hugely stronger and seem to me to have 50% more damage hp etc. It seems like the first time you do one you always get the bonus or at least the odds are much higher, so worth doing each at least once.

Goblin Fighters: about 150 damage becoming Raging Goblins: often drop 50g extra and sometimes 10 meat stews (good food)
Skeleton Warriors: about 200 damage becoming Corrupted Skeletons: often drop 50g and rarely 3 of each catalyst. (like 10% chance)
Zombie Warriors: about 200 damage becoming Corrupted Zombies: often drop 50g and rarely 3 of each catalyst. (mising an arm dont level)
Kobold Raiders: about 250 damage becoming Kobold Slayers: often drop 100g and sometimes 20 q1 blood
Hobgoblin Grunts: about 250 damage becoming Hobgoblin Slayers: often drop 100g and sometimes 20 q1 blood
Centaur Reavers: about 300 damage becoming Centaur Champions: often drop 200g and sometimes 5 first aid pots (good heal)
Ghoul Fleshcrafters: about 400 damage becoming Cursed Ghouls: often drop 200g and rarely 3 of each catalyst

To Be Continued...
  • Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 10:58:08 pm by Mycke
Mycke Soulslayer - Supreme General: Rastalfarian - An all Alfar clan of all play styles in all time zones, welcoming new and vet players alike.

Re: Mycke's guide for New Players
Reply #1
If anyone can think of anything you think I should add to a section feel free to suggest.
Mycke Soulslayer - Supreme General: Rastalfarian - An all Alfar clan of all play styles in all time zones, welcoming new and vet players alike.

Reply #2
Great initiative, I would add as an old darkfall player:

- In Personal skills:
   . Timing for restat -> do not wait to be low on health and stam to kite, juke and squirrel to restat yourself. Try to always be > 2/3 in the beginning.
   . while squirreling and jump shoting, keep an eye in the wilderness and bushes. Backup can come from everywhere, and this will be the time to spawn a mount and run away if you want to save your goods, or fight back for an epic end and gain the respect of your ennemies.

- In player interaction
   . In a party or group fight, never loot while other are fighting. This can make the difference in term of heal or dps. Yes even one person.
   . In a party or group fight, try to periodically buff and heal other. It's hard to keep an eye on everyone health, or people not always call for a heal. At the beginning, you will be more useful to periodically help others instead of never helping them ;).
Darkfall: New Dawn - Developer

Reply #3
Great initiative, I would add as an old darkfall player:

- In Personal skills:
   . Timing for restat -> do not wait to be low on health and stam to kite, juke and squirrel to restat yourself. Try to always be > 2/3 in the beginning.
   . while squirreling and jump shoting, keep an eye in the wilderness and bushes. Backup can come from everywhere, and this will be the time to spawn a mount and run away if you want to save your goods, or fight back for an epic end and gain the respect of your ennemies.

- In player interaction
   . In a party or group fight, never loot while other are fighting. This can make the difference in term of heal or dps. Yes even one person.
   . In a party or group fight, try to periodically buff and heal other. It's hard to keep an eye on everyone health, or people not always call for a heal. At the beginning, you will be more useful to periodically help others instead of never helping them ;).

Added!

Any chance of sticky?

Just asking... :D

Reply #4
don't follow Mycke's guide to cry when your mount dies and suicide under tower then cry in chat box for 2 hours, thats not the mentality we need.
Sep San Wung Si Muli Pun Yo Tiomi Yie Wun Sung you're not ready

Reply #5
don't follow Mycke's guide to cry when your mount dies and suicide under tower then cry in chat box for 2 hours, thats not the mentality we need.

This is an example of a griefer the kind of person who will kill your mount or you should you make a mistake just because he can without losing alignment (hes too scared to actually go red). Then he will brag about it and accuse you of crying even though you told him its no big deal, you lost nothing of value.

Just laugh at people like this.
  • Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 01:51:29 am by Mycke

Reply #6
Excellent post Mycke :)

Glad Sid couldn't resist the ego kick to say something negative here. He is a prime example of a griefer, to afraid to play the game and leave the NPC towns. So basically, if your in a clan and in a NPC town DO NOT go to a table encumbered (slowed down). It will attract rats like Sid to war your clan and kill you with no repercussions cause towers only attack Grey/red players. Clans at war don't get tower protection. Also, if you fight in town against a enemy clan be careful where you attack cause another tactic is they will put a blue in the fight so you hit them and go grey.

Just rember, Ratlings are not the only ratmen in the game, the real Ratling queens run on the surface outside the dungeon.

Reply #7
Up to 10 now, just giving a bump so new players can see it.

Reply #8
Noobie guides are great for noobie retention!

And for teaching me stuff I don't know. Reading it when I have time.

Reply #9
Lovely guide. Deserves a sticky.

Just one question - isn't damage from behind increased by 40%, and not by 50%?
Wyverex Erisian - random scrub who enjoys DF

For the love of all that is holy
Darkfall: New Dawn is not Dungeons & Dragons
[DND or DF:ND =/= DnD]

Reply #10

It could be 40% but I thought it was 50% I will find out and correct if needed.

Reply #11

deserves a "sticker" saying ello m8 im a noob

Reply #12
Up to 12 now.

Reply #13
dead guide, dead thread, dog advice

Reply #14
Up to 13 and updated for patch 2.2