Skip to main content

Topic: Guide for (Almost) Full screen windowed mode (Read 1944 times) previous topic - next topic

Guide for (Almost) Full screen windowed mode
I've finally remembered how i managed to bodge a working fullscreen windowed mode in Darkfall, I've already walked a few people through the process, but i think it may help others as well.

As a general disclaimer, you'll still have your taskbar visible at the bottom of your screen.

Firstly, you'll need to create a custom resolution, but before doing this, you need to see how many pixels your task bar is, use the snipping tool and measure the pixels. I'm using windows 7 and my task bar is 39 pixels tall.

To make the custom resolution (with nvidia cards), open up the nvidia control panel and select "change resolution", from here click customize. Create the new resolution with -1 of your standard horizontal resolution, and -39 (or your taskbars height) on the vertical.

Tick the tickbox next to add it your resolution list, but keep your desktop resolution at native, this custom resolution will only be used in Darkfall itself.

Nextup, you'll need an AHK script or another program to hide the border on the window.

I've been using the script found here https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=5472

Code: [Select]
/*  YABT - Yet Another Borderless-Window Toggle
 *  by Barrow (March 30, 2012)
 *  rewritten by kon (May 16, 2014)
 *  http://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/78903-yabt-yet-another-borderless-window-toggle/page-2#entry650488
 *  updated by Hastarin (Dec 5, 2014)
 *  tested with AutoHotkey v1.1.16.05
 */
#w::Toggle_Window(WinExist("A"))    ; Win+W to maximize the active window
!^w::Toggle_Window()                ; Ctrl+Alt+W to maximize the window under the mouse

Toggle_Window(Window:="") {
    static A := Init()
    if (!Window)
        MouseGetPos,,, Window
    WinGet, S, Style, % (i := "_" Window) ? "ahk_id " Window :  ; Get window style
    if (S & +0xC00000) {                                        ; If not borderless
        WinGet, IsMaxed, MinMax,  % "ahk_id " Window
        if (A[i, "Maxed"] := IsMaxed = 1 ? true : false)
            WinRestore, % "ahk_id " Window
        WinGetPos, X, Y, W, H, % "ahk_id " Window               ; Store window size/location
        for k, v in ["X", "Y", "W", "H"]
            A[i, v] := %v%
        Loop, % A.MCount {                                      ; Determine which monitor to use
            if (X >= A.Monitor[A_Index].Left
            &&  X <  A.Monitor[A_Index].Right
            &&  Y >= A.Monitor[A_Index].Top
            &&  Y <  A.Monitor[A_Index].Bottom) {
                WinSet, Style, -0xC00000, % "ahk_id " Window    ; Remove borders
WinSet, Style, -0x40000, % "ahk_id " Window    ; Including the resize border
                ; The following lines are the x,y,w,h of the maximized window
                ; ie. to offset the window 10 pixels up: A.Monitor[A_Index].Top - 10
                WinMove, % "ahk_id " Window,
                , A.Monitor[A_Index].Left                               ; X position
                , A.Monitor[A_Index].Top                                ; Y position
                , A.Monitor[A_Index].Right - A.Monitor[A_Index].Left    ; Width
                , A.Monitor[A_Index].Bottom - A.Monitor[A_Index].Top    ; Height
                break
            }
        }
    }
    else if (S & -0xC00000) {                                           ; If borderless
WinSet, Style, +0x40000, % "ahk_id " Window    ; Reapply borders
        WinSet, Style, +0xC00000, % "ahk_id " Window
        WinMove, % "ahk_id " Window,, A[i].X, A[i].Y, A[i].W, A[i].H    ; Return to original position
        if (A[i].Maxed)
            WinMaximize, % "ahk_id " Window
        A.Remove(i)
    }
}

Init() {
    A := {}
    SysGet, n, MonitorCount
    Loop, % A.MCount := n {
        SysGet, Mon, Monitor, % i := A_Index
        for k, v in ["Left", "Right", "Top", "Bottom"]
            A["Monitor", i, v] := Mon%v%
    }
    return A
}

With this AHK running, when you press WINDOWS KEY + W it will hide the active windows border.

Next up, launch into the game, and on the "Video Options" tab make sure fullscreen isn't selected, and then choose your new resolution from the dropdown.

Press WINDOWS + W to hide the borders, and you'll have your (almost) fullscreen windowed working :).

The end result is as follows.

So you don't forget to launch your AHK script when starting the game, you can create a simple batch file and make a shortcut to it to replace your standard Darkfall shortcut.

LAUNCHDF-AHK.BAT
Code: [Select]
@echo off
taskkill /F /im AutoHotKey.exe
start "" "C:\Program FIles\AutoHotKey\Scripts\WINDOWED.ahk"
start "" "X:\Program Files (x86)\Darkfall New Dawn\Lobby.exe"

exit

You'll obviously have to change the file locations to match yours :).

Hope this is some use to people :).
  • Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 07:37:20 pm by morris

mor ris - Giants chief operator magician of diplomacy  as well as curator of interesting and exceedingly long titles

#FastLikeFinnad

• Textra
  • [*][*]
Re: Guide for (Almost) Full screen windowed mode
Reply #1
You sir, are a legend.
History - NA-1: River Fey - Mostly freelance, but I joined the Aussie clan Bushrangers for about a month or two before quitting DFO.
Current - EU-1: River Fey - Unaffiliated.

Reply #2
Anyway to do this without ahk? Never liked using them

Reply #3

Reply #4

There are quite a few programs that make fullscreen borderless windowed mode for games and whatnot, but you still need to run DF in -1 pixel from your native resolution for it to work

• asterix
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Does this prevent your mouse from hitting windows taskbar ?

Reply #6
Yeah im having trouble getting this fullscreen borderless...  seems to not only activate the taskbar when clicking in the area while darkfall window is active, but along with that, it seems darkfall hates any resolution over 1920x1200....  im running 2560x1440.   any suggestions

Reply #7
I've got no issue with it on a 3440x1440 screen? But I've got a second screen so don't have the taskbar on it.

Reply #8

There are quite a few programs that make fullscreen borderless windowed mode for games and whatnot, but you still need to run DF in -1 pixel from your native resolution for it to work

There is a program called DXWnd, which allows you to completely fill the screen, without "-1 pixel". But it is more intrusive, and i am not sure the devs allow its use, since it hooks into the game, like fraps and other screenrecorders.

A screenshot i made running DXWnd and Darkfall, with the browser and calculator opened on top of darkfall running in borderless windowed mode without any lost pixels. 2560x1440 resolution.

Proof that this works  
https://s21.postimg.org/u1z5tqt85/image.png

The disadvantage of this method is that you have to make sure your client starts in fullscreen mode and the resolution you set for it to start in fullscreen has to be exactly the resolution you set in DXWnd which is 1280x1024 in my case. Later you can switch to another resolution, like i did to 2560x1440 for it to fill the whole screen.
Going 2560x1440 from the beginning doesn't always work for me for whatever reason.

Also, you cannot simply switch to fullscreen and back like you can with the AHK method. In my experiments it messed things up. For real fullscreen one would have to close DXWnd and restart DF.

If you want to experiment with it yourself, all i did was to drag  darkfall.exe found in the data directory which in turn is to be found in your darkfall install directory into the free area of the running DXWnd program window and then rightclick darkfall.exe-> modify. In the main tab you will find "window initial position&size" set W and H to whatever the fullscreen resolution of your darkfall client is set to.

There is another darkfall.exe in the install directory, but it won't work with this one. You have to use the darkfall.exe in the data dir.

All in all, this is too much of a hassle and messy with a lot that can go wrong. But since this works universally for even games that have no windowed mode at all, i thought i might bring it to your attention.

edit: Sometimes i have to run the DF client in administrator mode or otherwise it gets stuck at patching. When running DF in admin mode, DxWnd will work only if it is also set to admin mode.
  • Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 12:43:25 am by pZombie

• mrW
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
So you're not only a scammer but a hacker too

Reply #10
never understood why you would want to do this, do you pick up frame rate? or just gain access to programs running in the background.

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
When you have more than 1 screen you can freely navigate between them and the game is always open on the main screen. In df in gui mode the mouse cursor can move in and out of the game for example

edit:
it actually means your computer uses more ressources because it has to render not only the game but the desktop too. but on modern computers that's not really a problem.
  • Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 08:53:15 pm by nubnax
Bala Eregi - SG of Pickaxe Inc

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
i guess as long as there is no option ingame to get borderless windowed mode this thread should be stickied in the guides section of the forum

Reply #13
This way have some problems. In some cases you can not launch DF in window mode with almost maximum resolution. I do not know why, but i have this problem, when Digital resolution enchance (DVR or something like this in Nvidia 3d settings) was on (allow to have UHD on HD screens).

And now i have same problems after merging from HDMI to DP with new video card...

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
sorry to hear that. I've been using that work around for half a year now and haven't had any issues with it. but i agree with you on your other thread that an ingame option for this would be a quality of life improvement and should be added eventually.