Skip to main content

Topic: New Players are you lost? Checkout these videos (Read 1999 times) previous topic - next topic

New Players are you lost? Checkout these videos
This stress test is not meant for new players, but I am seeing new players in the game.  New Player Experience and a lot of game mechanic will change but these videos are a good starting point for now.   In the future I am hoping some visual improvement to these Quest NPC to make them standout a bit  8) 

Check out these videos. 
Part 1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDgGgunLhmA
Part 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CrxiN4pdHU
Part 3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5e19MP4AW4
  • Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 06:04:31 am by lambdaExpression

Re: New Players are you lost? Checkout these videos
Reply #1
Pinned on top of this forum for all to see. Enjoy!
  • Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 05:10:37 am by Ub3rgames
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

Reply #2
I was actually going to bring this up before, mainly because loading into New Dawn did not feel different, it did not feel faster. I made several characters over the course of DFO, re-rolling on NA launch and going hard and the skills felt eerily close.

After doing my own 2hour follow through I can tell for sure that the skill ups are NOT x10, perhaps they are a bit faster, 1.5-2 but I almost have the feeling they are the same as they were on DF Launch. These videos were taken shortly after the NA Server launch of DFO back in 2010 and today, grinding noobie monsters, as the video does, for 2 hours straight netted me 18 GreatAxe and 39 Lesser Magic, numbers that are REMARKABLY similar to Val Roth's numbers found at the end of the first video. Lootwise, goldwise was about twice as good. Granted, I had a few other players interfering with my training sure, and I may have tossed some arrows out for good measure...but not to the extent that it would decrease efficiency 10x.

Maybe AV decreased skill gains (as a means to combat macros perhaps) along the road before increasing them at the end of DF2012, I am not sure. But the "10X skill gain" comments and promises have always felt a little hollow, and now I certainly see why they did. Granted, I don't think the skill gain rates are that bad unchanged...but it's not 10x ;p

I will be continuing to test active skill gains and meditation stat gains as I can.
  • Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 01:04:29 pm by Solace

Reply #3
i wish meditation would run while i play. so i dont feel like i should be offline

Reply #4
i wish meditation would run while i play. so i dont feel like i should be offline

Supposedly skill gains should be slower through meditation than active play.  If you are trying to level a character quickly, active play is the way to go.  You need to get mobs bunched up so your mana missile / rends / melee swings hit 2-4 mobs each.  That is rapid skill gain (outside macroing of course).

Are the increases for XP rate for grouping or increases to mob spawn for multiple players in?

Reply #5

Supposedly skill gains should be slower through meditation than active play.  If you are trying to level a character quickly, active play is the way to go.  You need to get mobs bunched up so your mana missile / rends / melee swings hit 2-4 mobs each.  That is rapid skill gain (outside macroing of course).

Are the increases for XP rate for grouping or increases to mob spawn for multiple players in?

wait i get exp per hit? i thuoght it was limited to exp from 1 mob per cast.  have it really been this long that i dont know these things anymore

Reply #6
The spawn scaling feature aren't in yet.

Darkfall's gains were supposed to be x20, and we divided them by 2, which should be x10. It may not be accurate, but it is definitely faster than what was at the prime of Darkfall.
Attributes are extremely slow, though, which we'll address next patch, and meditation is too fast in comparison, which will be addressed the next.
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

Reply #7
This seems like a silly question but doesn't matter what rank weapon you are using while Skilling up? Or can you use rank zero weapons 2 level at the same rate

Reply #8
Correct, a hit is a hit regardless of rank or level. With crafts, combat and magics.

Reply #9
Correct, a hit is a hit regardless of rank or level. With crafts, combat and magics.

So you could make a r0 item all the way to 100 craft?

Reply #10
Apparently, yes. And the difficulty of the mob / player you are hitting has nothing to do with the speed at which you increase your skill.

Inc goblin genocide.

Reply #11
Goblins can only take so many hits so... depending on your level you may want to train on something that is more efficient.

Tailoring was generally levelled 0-100 via 30,000 or so worth of cloth and just making Clothes; it was good for levelling TrueForge as well.

Reply #12

Silly boy.... It's a mechanic to help those who can't be online as much as everyone else.. If it worked while you were online, those who played all day, except when mom said dinner was ready, would be too far ahead of everyone else.... Gains are so good right now, just play the game and you gain stats really easy!
  • Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 02:51:33 am by Rosco