Skip to main content

Topic: Why playing the game gets your more gains then meditation (Read 698 times) previous topic - next topic

Why playing the game gets your more gains then meditation
So many people dont understand the skill/stat gain you get from being online is SO much greater than meditation.

Skill   (e.g. Greatsword) - Meditation points to max 214,996 - Time 15 Days (360 hours) = 0.28 skill gain per hour offline
Spell/Abilty (e.g. Fireball) - Meditation points to max 143,380 - Time   10 Days (240 hours) = 0.42 skill gain per hour offline
Stat   (e.g Strength) - Meditation points to max 408,500 - Time    22 Days 15 Hours   (543 hours) = 0.18 stat gain per hour offline
Adv Skill (e.g. Greatsword Mastery, Necromany, Intensify etc) - Meditation points to max 426,663 - Time 30 Days (720 hours ) = 0.14 skill gain per hour offline

N.B. All information taken from the ingame Journel

You can get way more than 0.28 skill, stat, spell or adv skill gain per hour while playing and thats without powerhour.  Also when playing you are leveling up MULTIPLE skills, spells, stats and adv skills in one hour where as you can only meditate one at a time. Also loot, fun and playing the mmo you paid for, so don't log off just cause your power hour is not active to meditate. Stay in game and play!

• Niburu
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Why playing the game gets your more gains then meditation
Reply #1
Maybe people miss the bonuses from harder mobs which require better gear.

Darkfall is the best experience on PC with my pants not unzipped.

Reply #2
meditation is faster at a certain point....e.g. the last ~5 points of any attribute or Magic school is faster if you meditate it (maybe not with PH and lvl Mobspawn)

While for the attribute i could not care less because the last points are only like 1% of the maximum gain, the Magic School at 100 is mandatory for some crucial Spells.
Rorschach MiM

Retired:  Rorschach Greyhead / Marquez VonHinten

• Niburu
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
meditation is faster at a certain point....e.g. the last ~5 points of any attribute or Magic school is faster if you meditate it (maybe not with PH and lvl Mobspawn)

While for the attribute i could not care less because the last points are only like 1% of the maximum gain, the Magic School at 100 is mandatory for some crucial Spells.

You still gain more from playing the game because of all the other things that level in the background. However i would also meditate the last points as a skill on 100% gives a bonus.
Darkfall is the best experience on PC with my pants not unzipped.

Reply #4
It's true. What you haven't taken into consideration though is the cost of levelling it. Not everyone has their bank piled up with cash from capping villages.

Tbh I'd rather PH for an hour each day and meditate on magic schools beyond 50, rather than spending countless hours and money on reagents to get a couple of skill levels in magic.

Maybe meditation post 50 should be nerfed a bit. Too late now tho

Reply #5
So many people dont understand the skill/stat gain you get from being online is SO much greater than meditation.

Skill   (e.g. Greatsword) - Meditation points to max 214,996 - Time 15 Days (360 hours) = 0.28 skill gain per hour offline
Spell/Abilty (e.g. Fireball) - Meditation points to max 143,380 - Time   10 Days (240 hours) = 0.42 skill gain per hour offline
Stat   (e.g Strength) - Meditation points to max 408,500 - Time    22 Days 15 Hours   (543 hours) = 0.18 stat gain per hour offline
Adv Skill (e.g. Greatsword Mastery, Necromany, Intensify etc) - Meditation points to max 426,663 - Time 30 Days (720 hours ) = 0.14 skill gain per hour offline

You can get way more than 0.28 skill, stat, spell or adv skill gain per hour while playing and thats without powerhour.  Also when playing you are leveling up MULTIPLE skills, spells, stats and adv skills in one hour where as you can only meditate one at a time. Also loot, fun and playing the mmo you paid for, so don't log off just cause your power hour is not active to meditate. Stay in game and play!

Thanks for your effort. This was clear since indev when the devs put out similar details. But you know people like to troll so it fits their rhetoric better to twist the truth.

Reply #6

Skill  (e.g. Greatsword) - Meditation points to max 214,996 - Time 15 Days (360 hours) = 0.28 skill gain per hour offline
Spell/Abilty (e.g. Fireball) - Meditation points to max 143,380 - Time  10 Days (240 hours) = 0.42 skill gain per hour offline
Stat  (e.g Strength) - Meditation points to max 408,500 - Time    22 Days 15 Hours  (543 hours) = 0.18 stat gain per hour offline

They understand it just fine. They just don't care about the minimal impact it will have on their character versus the staggering amount of in game time it takes to level those Passives.

People are just hand grinding magic schools to 50 or 75 then meditating and only logging for power hour because nothing feels rewarding enough for the amount of time they put in otherwise.

This is easily fixed by just making meditation work at half the rate while you're online and fixing mob loot tables to not be hideously bad.

Reply #7
There is no reason to play the game unless you want to mine rocks for stats
LEGIT 100% TRUTH
1H power up hits rocks and log the fuck off!

Reply #8
I'm planning on smashing and shooting stuff until 100 GS and Archer, it's actually faster then i expected it too be.
When i'm offline i just meditate quickness, if i want to slack i just go hitting on some rocks for hours and hours.
Stone is the way, stone is life! 8)

• Fnights
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9

Meditation is more efficient for certain skills, stats for example, dex and quickness, i can't max them without meditation, same for melee mastery and lesser/greater intesifies.

If they want less people pass whole days off line then they have to normalize the gains. The grind is insane after a certain theresold, doing high rank mobs and using top gear just mitigate a bit the issue but is not close the gains you got from meditation.
Consider also that some people can play only 1, max 2 hours at day, so they spend the small time with the power hour and the rest in meditation.
  • Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 03:07:23 pm by Fnights
DnD full roadmap
Darkfall Online (Eu-1)
2009~2012
DF1 broken issues

Reply #10
The issue I have is with regs. I think it's awful that I have yo set aside game sessions to be able to farm up the regs I need to play the game the way I designed my character. Should attack spells even cost more than 1 reg anymore? You're better off spamming a bolt which is boring as f.

The problem is some people know how to rack up tremendous amounts of regs I'm sure. But me as a casual player with limited game time and relying on spawns near me that drop maybe like 6 or 7 at a time. It's not even worth it to use magic on them so I'm forced to melee.. It's ridiculous.

Reply #11
The problem is some people know how to rack up tremendous amounts of regs I'm sure. But me as a casual player with limited game time and relying on spawns near me that drop maybe like 6 or 7 at a time. It's not even worth it to use magic on them so I'm forced to melee.. It's ridiculous.
There are many mobs that drop a ton of reagents, you just have to find them.
In the beginning i was too thinking that reagent cost was too high (i am training water magic and nacre is not as easily farmable as other reagents) but then i found out the right mobs to skill on and now i have tons of reagents that i sell them on the markets and am even starting to think they drop too many :D
I don't know if you knew it but in the map, in the lower left corner you can put in, for example the reagent you want to farm, and it will indicate you all the mobs that drop it with quantities and percentages so that you can find the best mob for you to skill on.

For example i skill up water on water-sensible mobs like fire elementals and get a ton of ashes/sulfur to sell. Then i melee farm some water-resistant mob like windgraives to restock on nacres.
Most of the time, the reagent you're looking for is dropped in big quantities by mobs that are resistant to that element.

Reply #12
its not faster.While your stats meditating at night,you can hit mobs 12 hours per day and get very fast lvls.
Also you can meditate some skill at night and level it at day.Will be much faster than just meditating.
But it doesnt matter cuz its new fail with 150 online and death in 2 months.

Reply #13
However i would also meditate the last points as a skill on 100% gives a bonus.

I didn't notice a difference between 99 and 100 Greatswords. Not sure if the bonus is in place (or working) atm.

Reply #14
The reagent issue was based on toon noobness so it took a lot of shots to kill things, but as you get more powerful it takes less shots and thus you make more profit.

The simplest of logic seems beyond so many these days....