Skip to main content

Topic: Individual weapon speed's bugged? (tested all weapons/ swings per 30's naked) (Read 138 times) previous topic - next topic

Individual weapon speed's bugged? (tested all weapons/ swings per 30's naked)
While comparing different weapons and the new leather armor trait 'weapon speed bonus' vs your base 'naked' weapon swing speed- I noticed some huge discrepancies with between individual weapons and displayed base weapon speed.

*ALL SWING TESTS WERE DONE NAKED, WITH THE SAME CHARACTER (69.27 QUICKNESS) and SAME WEAPON RANK and SAME PING /GAMING SESSION.

Results are all in 30 second timed window using auto-attack (holding attack button) Results like "22-23" meaning the swing started before the 30 second mark and finished after the allotted time.

WEAPON SPEED            WEAPON         SWINGS PER 30 SECONDS
.9                                      Knives                          45-46
.6                                      1h Sword                     30-31
.5                                      1h Club                        27-28
.5                                      1h Axe                         30-31
.4                                      Great sword                 28
.3                                      Great Axe                     23
.2                                      Polearm                       22-23

As you can see, they don't scale in a way that would imply that the ".1" per weapon speed is an equal number. The big thing that stands out is, 1h Club is clearly slower then its equal weapon speed 1h Axe. The largest difference, .9 knives vs .6 1h sword is almost more the 15 extra swings in a 30 second period and doesn't scale in any way vs. the other weapon speeds.

** I'll post my numbers for armor trait weapon speed bonus, and sorry for the multi-edits, phone posted before i was finished.

• Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 09:17:12 pm by mezferic

Re: Individual weapon speed's bugged? (tested all weapons/ swings per 30's naked)
Reply #1
Yeah something is wrong in their numbers there, its looking kinda fubar and I hope they can fix it.
Mycke Soulslayer - Supreme General: Rastalfarian - An all Alfar clan of all play styles in all time zones, welcoming new and vet players alike.

Re: Individual weapon speed's bugged? (tested all weapons/ swings per 30's naked)
Reply #2
remember that the numbers are with never ending digits so two .5 can actually be .09 or .04 difference, not sure if it rounds up, I dont think so
  • Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 10:11:48 pm by Nataz

Reply #3
1 handed sword swings faster than 1 handed axe. Rest seems right.

At 100 quickness under 30 seconds:
31 Axe
31 Club
34 Sword
25 GC
25 GA
28 GS
46 Dagger
23 Polearm

• Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 12:19:13 am by Eilistraee
IGN: "Eilis Traee"
However, you have to take into account why we are introducing local banking.
In New Dawn, its main purpose is to be a convenience feature.
"Things just got worse."

Reply #4
remember that the numbers are with never ending digits so two .5 can actually be .09 or .04 difference, not sure if it rounds up, I dont think so
1 handed sword swings faster than 1 handed axe. Rest seems right.

At 100 quickness under 30 seconds:
31 Axe
31 Club
34 Sword
25 GC
25 GA
28 GS
46 Dagger
23 Polearm

That's a very interesting point, the one-handed axe was crafted recently and the one-handed sword was mob dropped.

ill have to check, i think everything was player crafted except the one handed sword and may be the polearm

edjt- that's also very interesting that weapon speed is not affected by ping, I thought it might be a bit.  I'm around a 100, I think @Eilistraee is a lot lower?

edit-2 I'm also surprised that swings are almost exact with 69 quickness versus 100
  • Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 02:07:30 am by mezferic

Reply #5
@Eilistraee 's numbers seem to be following the intended differences.
Swords and greatswords should always be faster than equivalent axes/clubs, and polearms should always be slower than other 2h weapons.
@mezferic The problematic ones are your 1h axe and polearm numbers which shouldn't be the same as a faster weapon type.

Are you sur we cannot rule out any testing inaccuracy?
For example, did you film yourself and count frames, or did you do it with a stopwatch and by eye?

If the testing is certain, then a potential lead is that the game uses a system of "time steps" for animations, which cause a minimal granularity.
If you're just high enough at your quickness level to be in the "next" time step, then you'll be slightly faster.

This system is necessary for animations and "attack point" to sync up visually. There are already a few less than perfect attack points for active abilities that you can understand what the issue would be without it.
For example, a few patches back we actually accelerated archery's attack speed quite a bit by adding a lot more acceptable values and lowering their ranges. This buffed archery, but made sounds synchro worse at certain speeds.

Note that quickness is frontloaded, like any other attribute/passive skills. Going to 100 will only give you a little bump.
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

Reply #6
@Ub3rgames its definitely as close to a 'timed window' that I think you could get (but I did not film it), only because the numbers were always the same. I actually had done this test yesterday, but didn't save the numbers so logged on this morning to run through them again.

Funny that you mention 'time steps', I had actually thought about the 'time steps' thing today as well, I know a game engine is trying to "show" your swings sync'd to the actual numbers and sometimes you can get a visual difference between what is really happening and what is shown.

The 1h club is a transmute and I'm going to test it in game against somebody blocking, I bet it (both the 1h club & 1h Great Axe) log's the same 31 & 25 hits and its just the animation.I forgot to post the Great Club numbers,, but it was the same as Great Axe (23)

The 1h sword was the only mob dropped weapon, is there a difference in the generated speed? like a static ".6" vs a player made weapon?

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
just to add weapon skill indeed makes a difference in attack speed.
my 1h axe is at 75, and my 1h clubs at 2. (qickness at 100)
and i can make 50 strikes in 45 seconds with axes while 50 strikes take me 52.9 seconds with clubs.

@mezferic
do you have polearms and 1h axes leveled and others not?
if you look at my numbers for axes i should have about 33 strikes in 30 seconds and for clubs about 28.
that fits your numbers quite well actually
  • Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 04:24:41 am by nubnax
Bala Eregi - SG of Pickaxe Inc

Reply #8
just to add weapon skill indeed makes a difference in attack speed.
my 1h axe is at 75, and my 1h clubs at 2. (qickness at 100)
and i can make 50 strikes in 45 seconds with axes while 50 strikes take me 52.9 seconds with clubs.

@mezferic
do you have polearms and 1h axes leveled and others not?
if you look at my numbers for axes i should have about 33 strikes in 30 seconds and for clubs about 28.
that fits your numbers quite well actually

I have polearm greataxe Greatsword and axe leveled.  I had forgotten the weapon skill gives you a quicker swing speed.