Skip to main content

Topic: Shader Change with Patch 4.0 (Read 1646 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Shader Change with Patch 4.0
Reply #60
Forced shadows kills the game for many laptop players.  Would be a bad move.
I hate to seem cold, if you have a REAL old system I understand but forced shadows, or finding some other way to allow for using them as a "stealth" feature has always been something I hoped to see in Darkfall.  It would be a net gain for the majority that play it imo.
The Mirdain are back!

Reply #61
I hate to seem cold, if you have a REAL old system I understand but forced shadows, or finding some other way to allow for using them as a "stealth" feature has always been something I hoped to see in Darkfall.  It would be a net gain for the majority that play it imo.
@Xeris Ta'Kier
I'm using an Inter core I5, 1st gen at 2.67 and turbo mode at 3.2 max. 8gb of ddr3 ram and an ssd. I bought this at 2010, 7 years old system (except the ssd). I can tell you that I couldn't play pvp, have shader 3 AND shadows on and feel the game run smooth. And that's because DF only uses 1 fucking core only!! If they made it so that it can use all my cores, then sure, it'd be a piece of cake! But until then many people like me would quit...
Dunnin Dainstaff - Lux Arcana

• Kenman
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #62
@Xeris Ta'Kier
I'm using an Inter core I5, 1st gen at 2.67 and turbo mode at 3.2 max. 8gb of ddr3 ram and an ssd. I bought this at 2010, 7 years old system (except the ssd). I can tell you that I couldn't play pvp, have shader 3 AND shadows on and feel the game run smooth. And that's because DF only uses 1 fucking core only!! If they made it so that it can use all my cores, then sure, it'd be a piece of cake! But until then many people like me would quit...

At what point do we cease to create inferior products for the weakest links in the chain?

Reply #63
If we can somehow boost game performance, then I'm all for implementing forced grass, maybe even forced shadows.
But at the moment, game still has too many bottlenecks.
Wyverex Erisian - random scrub who enjoys DF

For the love of all that is holy
Darkfall: New Dawn is not Dungeons & Dragons
[DND or DF:ND =/= DnD]

Reply #64
With forced shadow my rig wouldn't handle Monkfiled and it's a newer CPU than when the game was released originally. Using default settings at 1920x1080 will make me have 40 fps at Monkfield bank, that makes the UI respond with 0.5 sec delay drag time. When I disable shadows I get 100 fps there, notable though, Monkfield is bugged FPS wise, if I look the bank from the opposite direction, I get twice the fps.

I'll plan to upgrade to best 1 core CPU performance, but forced shadows will kill the game for most, however I agree that the game looks much better with them.
"Eilis Traee" - Uprising. Clan Crafter and Public Relations.
However, you have to take into account why we are introducing local banking.
In New Dawn, its main purpose is to be a convenience feature.
"Things just got worse."

Reply #65
@Xeris Ta'Kier

Too bad you should of waited a few months for Sandybridge and made better part choices

I built my PC in January 2011 with an i7 2600k stock at 3.4 but overclocked to 4.6ghz with a noctua d14 air cooler and a coolermaster HAFX case 16 gigs ddr3 1600 (started with 8 added another 8 in late 2013) started with gtx 560ti (later upgraded to gtx 780 but it made little to no difference as Darkfall cpu based) a 128gig ssd

And it gives me fantastic fps in Darkfall. I have recorded siege videos with bandicam (which drops ur fps) with 120fps

And recorded small scale fights with as much as 250fps ,

Its time for you to upgrade regardless and you can get a massive performance boost with something very cheap like the new 8th gen coffee lake i3 8350k quad core which actually has BETTER single core performance than the i7 7700k and similar multithreaded to the i7 6700k but for an extremely low price to performance ratio of around $129 thats a CRAZY upgrade over what you have and literally the best CPU if your main game is Darkfall. Ya youll need a new mother board and 8 gigs of ddr4 but thats not much $ for such a huge fps gain

Heres some info on the upcoming i3 it really is going to be badass for Darkfall especially for the price
http://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lake-core-i3-8350k-cpu-benchmarks-leak/

Personally i like to future proof as much as possible and i already have a cpu that beasts every current game so I'm waiting on intels 8core/16 thread icelake mainstream part in 2018. But the single thread performance on that probably won't be much if any better than the 8350k which costs 1/4th as much and will be available much sooner

• Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 12:57:23 pm by Battle Smurf

Reply #66
@Xeris Ta'Kier

At what point do we cease to create inferior products for the weakest links in the chain?

We've reached that point

Modern desktop CPUs that beast literally ALL games cost only $129 and its been that way since sandybridge in 2011 if you were willing to pay more

At this point not having a cpu that gives great darkfall fps is like not having an SSD or a 42+ inch flat screen TV. Theres no excuse.

Reply #67
Modern desktop CPUs that beast literally ALL games cost only $129 and its been that way since sandybridge in 2011 if you were willing to pay more

At this point not having a cpu that gives great darkfall fps is like not having an SSD or a 42+ inch flat screen TV. Theres no excuse.
Maybe in the US.

In EU, the same parts are up to 50% more expensive (even more so in shit countries like my own)
And combine that with lower income... and it becomes hard to upgrade computer parts...

• Kenman
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #68

Maybe in the US.

In EU, the same parts are up to 50% more expensive (even more so in shit countries like my own)
And combine that with lower income... and it becomes hard to upgrade computer parts...

I'm sorry to hear that, i have a solution.

1. Make more money

If that doesn't seem feasible

1a. Move

2. Accept that you're just going to get left behind in the gaming industry, cause technology is on full throttle forward.

Reply #69

Maybe in the US.

1. Make more money

1a. Move

2. Accept that you're just going to get left behind in the gaming industry, cause technology is on full throttle forward.
I personally do plan on moving, but don't tell me that your "solution" is to ignore half of Europe and most of Asia?

There's a reason super successful companies (ie Blizzard) try and make games with low system requirements - it allows them to earn more money by selling more copies.

• Kenman
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #70

Maybe in the US.

1. Make more money

1a. Move

I personally do plan on moving, but don't tell me that your "solution" is to ignore half of Europe and most of Asia?

There's a reason super successful companies (ie Blizzard) try and make games with low system requirements - it allows them to earn more money by selling more copies.

I don't really care for a solution. Take the business out of it and create a superior product. My solution was for you, specifically. You cant afford to play games you need to repriorotize your life, its really very simple. Im sorry that you cant afford your hobby.

Furthermore, another point to consider is the day and age. Darkfall was indeed created long ago where system requirements were far lower. 2009, 2010? Really? You haven't upgraded since then? I had a system from 2013 that could run darkfall on maxed settings, and at launch i played with around 70 fps with a shit computer. But i was a child then with no income of my own and made due. I accepted it and enjoyed it.

Take a few lessons from that and own up to it, fuck sakes. Lets make a superior product, seems selfish to me.

And yet, in the end, ub3r has stated its not even feasible atm STILL for whatever reason it causes considerable drops STILL so why the fuck is this even a discussion still is beyond me, but my points still stand i think. Upgrade, or stop being a cuck.
  • Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 08:04:17 pm by Kenman

Reply #71
Upgrade, or stop being a cuck.

Da fuck? 0.o
Mycke Soulslayer - Supreme General: Rastalfarian - An all Alfar clan of all play styles in all time zones, welcoming new and vet players alike.

Reply #72
My responses were about game in general, not about my personal situation.
But thanks for caring.

Reply #73

Maybe in the US.

1. Make more money

1a. Move

I don't really care for a solution. Take the business out of it and create a superior product. My solution was for you, specifically. You cant afford to play games you need to repriorotize your life, its really very simple. Im sorry that you cant afford your hobby.

Furthermore, another point to consider is the day and age. Darkfall was indeed created long ago where system requirements were far lower. 2009, 2010? Really? You haven't upgraded since then? I had a system from 2013 that could run darkfall on maxed settings, and at launch i played with around 70 fps with a shit computer. But i was a child then with no income of my own and made due. I accepted it and enjoyed it.

Take a few lessons from that and own up to it, fuck sakes. Lets make a superior product, seems selfish to me.

And yet, in the end, ub3r has stated its not even feasible atm STILL for whatever reason it causes considerable drops STILL so why the fuck is this even a discussion still is beyond me, but my points still stand i think. Upgrade, or stop being a cuck.

You're being ridiculous! The devs will decide if it's worth it to do something like that, but I doubt that they'll decide that the customers that such a change would bring in would match the losses... Still they know better, we just mention that we exist! And as a matter of fact I am planning an upgrade for my PC but it will take me at least a year to get those 400-600 euros I need to upgrade it. I live in Greece and I won't move out of the country for the next few years, so I have to live with it.
  • Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:11:44 pm by Dunnin
Dunnin Dainstaff - Lux Arcana

• Kenman
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #74
Is it really that absurd?

Yeah maybe...