Skip to main content

Topic: Community driven marketing effort (Read 1371 times) previous topic - next topic

• raxx
  • [*]
Re: Community driven marketing effort
Reply #30
Last time I showed last DnD promo video to my online buddies, they turned that shit off before finishing.

No offense, but after that experience, a significantly better trailer is required for me to advertise DnD.

Agree there needs to be a better trailer. Wish I had time like i had to make something real nice, but it would probably take hundreds of hours and I wont be able to put in that effort sadly (atleast without compensation for lost work hours)

Reply #31
@Xipos
Haha I appreciate that man, but I wouldn't be involved. That ship has sailed. Was just sharing an idea the community might be interested in organizing/realizing amongst themselves if so inclined.

@sodapop
I agree completely about how most Darkfall vids appear , it's been one of my recurring points. Most have settings turned way down, GUI cluttered, low bitrates, show "silly" things like nonstop magic spam, bhop fests, etc... it doesn't really do the game much justice - a game that already has enough going against it as is.

This is why I believe making trailers with "gameplay" mixed in to be the most effective route. Trailers that tell "stories" viewers can "relate to", stories which present a replicable experience they have to look forward to first hand, just of course presented in the most polished, intriguing way possible. There should be no "bait and switch".

@wildNothing
It might've not been clear, but what you mention is precisely what I intended to incorporate into the video. I didn't get into specifics as the post was already long enough as is, but here is the excerpt, bolded:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The key is to show a wide breadth of player options, choices, facets, activities. The official trailer presents the game as little more than a rinse/repeat arena, which is the antithesis of what New Dawn is supposed to actually be, and that's unfortunate.

Reply #32
@Adûn @Xipos
@all

do you think it'd be an option to hire a professional to make a trailer with provided footage/ideas?
any idea how expensive it would be?

since most of us went so far with this project and you clearly can see that ub3rgames are tech-superbs but have no clue how to market/advertise a game, I'd be willing to pay ~20$ easy for a decent trailer

it was so much easier to advertise new dawn in forums or friends if it had a better trailer
ingame: Dropkick Skibba

Reply #33
I have a different view than most and believe this game will be best served by not trying to broadly advertise, yet and is better served by launching with a more vet and specifically drawn to it crowd. The game isnt ready for a broader crowd for a number of reasons, the first of which is it needs to be fully played by a more vet crowd who will try to 'break' things, which will allow Ub3r to fill in the gaps of their design. It can also use another yearish of patches to fill in the content needed to make the world more RPGish and finally when the game launches its going to take at leats a few months for civilization to build up creating supply lines and centers to fully flesh out the economy so that there are global supplies of all the basics allowing new players easy access to gear and sundries everywhere.

Reply #34
lol at you guys
what about you make some google ads so Ub3r can sell more of this amateur patched game
there is nothing added that feels genuinely finished
it's just a shitshow by now with the release date and the state of the game
even when we get the numbers of people, we would end up with another wipe
albion online had 4 wipes after it was feature complete
darkfall has no momentum at all, it was now a year and a half in development, it should have some fucking momentum by now.
Soft launch my ass. Chances are that this was all planned by DnD and RoA. They get a cheap deal by splitting the costs buying the game engine together. They paid how much each? 500k? They should have that money in by now so they release and take the profit that comes with it.

Reply #35
you guys are better off trying to convince @rawrgasm to do a trailer

Reply #36
lol at you guys
what about you make some google ads so Ub3r can sell more of this amateur patched game
there is nothing added that feels genuinely finished
it's just a shitshow by now with the release date and the state of the game
even when we get the numbers of people, we would end up with another wipe
albion online had 4 wipes after it was feature complete
darkfall has no momentum at all, it was now a year and a half in development, it should have some fucking momentum by now.
Soft launch my ass. Chances are that this was all planned by DnD and RoA. They get a cheap deal by splitting the costs buying the game engine together. They paid how much each? 500k? They should have that money in by now so they release and take the profit that comes with it.

Oh look its the guy who spent loads of time making a website for DnD, it flopped so he made a big forum sig to explain he's not recruiting for his clan and spent the remaining time trolling the forums with as delusional shit as what Pat makes up.

You really are that salty you turned from number 1 fanboy into a complete irrational hater.

Reply #37
you guys are better off trying to convince @rawrgasm to do a trailer

Trailer be too hard to make without GM account and big sieges / events to film, maybe a few months into launch will be saving all my footage.

Reply #38
Apart from trailer, I believe the best effect would be to simply just reach out to relevant gaming communities and clans. Most of the vets stuck through because of the core mechanics of the game; full loot FFA PvP, FPS combat mechanics in an MMORPG, clan conquest, naval battles. We're not here for the dated graphics and animations, lack of end-game PvE content, or long ass quest chains. We're here because this game is the best PvP game ever.

And there's bound to be players out there that will fanatically fall in love with DND if they tried it. Even better, clans or communities that have the mentality for such games, they just don't know about DND, and are currently playing shitty games.

On the bright side, the MMORPG market is really stagnant at this point, and MMORPG players would be likely to try out something new. Just a quick brainstorm where we can find potential players (the mental profile are grindy fantasy games or PvP mmorpgs):

Former DFO clans/communities (DOW, Goons, ANG, TheMercs, Yew Militia?, Virakar, Aesir, etc.)

ESO Community/clans

Dark Souls community

Albion community/clans

WOW private servers (players here are nostalgic about previous versions where the game was more grindy/"hardcore", and don't find other MMORPG appealing - Blizzard will release their own legacy servers soon, but most of the vanilla players have had their fix from Nostalrius etc. already)

Crowfall

Runescape forums/Deadman mode in-game (making a runescape spam-bot should be easy lol)

Reddit forums for these MMORPGs

UO private shards

Survival game clans

Basically, get in contact with PvP clans from these environments, and introduce them to DND. Hopefully they test the game out and migrate their whole clan to this game. This again could have an effect on other clans they got contact with (remember when SUN tried some other MMO back in the day? At least 3-4 other Darkfall clan followed them to try the game).

If they don't like the game, even considering future implementations, then they won't be a fit anywas. If they like it, and stick around now, we've got a following and early momentum. Even if they quit after the first few months, most will still come around to check the game out.
  • Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 06:57:09 pm by Xipos

Reply #39
Apart from trailer, I believe the best effect would be to simply just reach out to relevant gaming communities and clans. Most of the vets sticked through because of the core mechanics of the game; full loot FFA PvP, FPS combat mechanics in an MMORPG, clan conquest, naval battles. We're not here for the dated graphics and animations, lack of end-game PvE content, or long ass quest chains. We're here because this game is the best PvP game ever.

And there's bound to be players out there that will fanatically fall in love with DND if they tried it. Even better, clans or communities that have the mentality for such games, they just don't know about DND, and are currently playing shitty games.

On the bright side, the MMORPG market is really stagnant at this point, and MMORPG players would be likely to try out something new. Just a quick brainstorm where we can find potential players (the mental profile are grind games or PvP mmorpgs):

Former DFO clans/communities (DOW, Goons, ANG, TheMercs, Yew Militia?, Virakar, Aesir, etc.)

ESO Community/clans

Albion community/clans

WOW private servers (players here are nostalgic about previous versions where the game was more grindy/"hardcore", and don't find other MMORPG appealing - Blizzard will release their own legacy servers soon, but most of the vanilla players have had their fix from Nostalrius etc. already)

Crowfall

Runescape forums/Deadman mode in-game (making a runescape spam-bot should be easy lol)

Reddit forums for these MMORPGs

UO private shards

Survival game clans

Basically, get in contact with PvP clans from these environments, and introduce them to DND. Hopefully they test the game out and migrate their whole clan to this game. This again could have an effect on other clans they got contact with (remember when SUN tried some other MMO back in the day? At least 3-4 other Darkfall clan followed them to try the game).

If they don't like the game, even considering future implementations, then they won't be a fit anywas. If they like it, and stick around now, we've got a following and early momentum. Even if they quit after the first few months, most will still come around to check the game out.

I pretty much second what Xipos is saying here, i've had several conversations with people about this before.

Outreach is a big thing for all games these days. Hype is what causes games to do well sometimes more so than the actual game being good.

DND has massive potential to be the fantasy EVE (maybe a tad optimistic - but the foundations are defiantly there) albion is a very good example of this and albion had a lot of publicity, same with crowfall.

We, as the community, need to do some outreach. We can easily influence this game to do better. It's also good to take note that toxicity is something the darkfall community really needs to actively think about with this iteration of the game. Especially around the early stages of launch.

Reply #40
Part of the charm of the darkfall i think is toxicity or disfunction of the community to a certain extent.  Most mmos feel like theyre made for kids. 

Reply #41
Guys please don't spam the same sub reddit with advertisements over and over. I remember when ROA was launching a ton of posts were made on r/mmorpg and it just annoyed people and makes it look like spam. Try and keep a single advertisement where ever you are posting.

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #42
^
Bala Eregi
SG of Bewahrer der Welten
SG of The Tausian Dominion

Reply #43
I would only advertise a game I would be proud of doing such to. We don't even know if key features will be implemented before launch or are unsure how they would even implement them properly.

As soon as I think (if I ever do) the game is solving previous issues, I will bang the drum to the masses as much as I can.

• nubnax
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #44
Weren't you the guy who made a video about RoA and DND about a year ago?
Bala Eregi
SG of Bewahrer der Welten
SG of The Tausian Dominion