Skip to main content

Topic: what actual downside is there of going red? (Read 679 times) previous topic - next topic

what actual downside is there of going red?
so far its just losing some med points on quests right? thats pretty fail and wont stop me and others ganking the shit out of newbies.

@Ub3rgames theres many of us intending to go full on red PKs at launch. some will also do it just to grief at their local npc city without bothering about racial wars. besides quests which hardcores wont give a shit about (cos they dont need med points to level up) what else will be in at launch to stop newbies lives being wrecked?

Re: what actual downside is there of going red?
Reply #1
Nothing, being red is already taxing, specially if you are in human racial alliance, you loose a lot of markets, banks, trainers, safe places. If you don't have a player holding you can be fucked at NPC cities ez. Griefing newbies is not rewarding, and can be done regardless what you introduce against reds, one could just roll another race and travel to enemy racial starter zone.
"Eilis Traee" - Uprising. Clan Crafter and Public Relations.
However, you have to take into account why we are introducing local banking.
In New Dawn, its main purpose is to be a convenience feature.
"Things just got worse."

Reply #2
yeah grinding enemy racial newbies is fine cos its got some context. but one of biggest reasons i saw people quitting roa was constant ganking of your own race. that needs to be worked on surely to be hyper tough otherwise why bother travelling all that way if you can just gank on your doorstep?

Reply #3
at launch the biggest one will be being almost entirely locked out of the economy

all the trading will happen in npc cities, which you won't be able to enter, and you can't do the roa thing where you log alts and send them gear through the clan bank because of local banking. you are going to be stuck trading with other reds, and they are reds for a reason so gl with that (or blues if you give them a massive premium to come to you)

combined with the localised high end resources you are going to have a bad time competing

there will still be newb ganking at the start because you can just dump everything in the clan bank and reroll after a week but with rewards for killing criminals and superlinear spawn scaling it's not going to be a 100% waste of time helping newbs so people might actually do it
  • Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 09:56:44 pm by trashsmasher

Reply #4
so far its just losing some med points on quests right? thats pretty fail and wont stop me and others ganking the shit out of newbies.

@Ub3rgames theres many of us intending to go full on red PKs at launch. some will also do it just to grief at their local npc city without bothering about racial wars. besides quests which hardcores wont give a shit about (cos they dont need med points to level up) what else will be in at launch to stop newbies lives being wrecked?

YES! Gank ME BABY!  I don't why people are such cry babies about it. That is what I loved about the original DFO. I had so much fun fighting off gankers in noob zones. 

Reply #5

YES! Gank ME BABY!  I don't why people are such cry babies about it. That is what I loved about the original DFO. I had so much fun fighting off gankers in noob zones.
on equal footing IT was fun after a year and level 100 VS level 5 was very boring..

Reply #6
If you prefer to colour blue.
"If there is a supreme being, he's crazy."

My IQ is too high for you all.

Reply #7
Hello,
There was a similar thread not too long ago where we replied in depth with what has been done and what was planned.

Hello,
We have already addressed part of the issue, and there is more to come.
Our general goal is to remove the gankbox aspect of the game. You will want to PvP, and you will get attacked in the wild, but it won't be everyone kills everyone. It should make sense when an attack occurs.
More importantly, seeing a blue player of your racial alliance should be a relief, not a source of stress.

What is done:
- We kept racial wars. This provides PvP that makes sense. There are outlets for those that want action.
- We have universal spawn scaling. Your fellow blue player is beneficial to you, just as you are to him.
- We have removed recalls. If you go in enemy territory, you can't escape instantly, leaving a chance for "patrols" to find you.
- Quest rewards penalties:
    - Meditation cannot be purchased with gold. If you want to skill up offline you have to be active in game.
    - All quests provide meditation points.
    - Quest rewards have a blue player bonus, and for any action that makes you lose alignment, it is set to zero.
    - Quest reward bonus increase back by +1% every 6h, reaching its max in 25 days.
- Alignment loss persistence:
    - You can only gain alignment once per day by praying at a chaos churches.
    - Chaos churches are in only a few locations you have to travel to and where there are no protections.
    - Each time you pray, there is a cost in gold, and the price of the next praying session is increased by 100 forever.
- When you are red;
    - You lose access to cities protected by zaap towers.
    - You can be killed freely by anyone.

What is coming:
- Local banking and market places:
    - A red player will be losing safe locations to trade and store items. Losing access to blue cities will really sting in that context.
    - After an attack, there will be a predictable path to intercept. People will have to bring back what they stole, raising the barrier of entry.
- Engagement system: A system that helps determine which player is on which side of a fight, and reward/punish accordingly.
    In other words, if someone gets ganged upon, all of the assaillants will receive penalty for the kill.
- Death penalties:
    -There will be death penalties that scale with how red and infamous you are.
    -They can be avoided by having spare meditation, which is also harder for reds to obtain.
- Having personal graves and vehicles be protected by the alignment: they can steal, but they will lose alignment.
- Infamy/patriotism system:
    - In short, a system that steals meditation from your opponent, moreso if they are red, even more if they have killed recently.
    - The purpose is to reward "sheperds" that patrol the borders and converge on the enemy raiders when they are called out by other faction members

These are non exhaustive lists, but you should get the idea.
To us, being red should be a dificult choice rather than the optimum path it was back in the days.
We see it like playing in hard mode, and being Infamous will be an "ironman" mode of sorts.

As others have said in this thread, losing access to racial territory with local banking will prove more meaningful.
We are also currently working on our death penalty system which will single out reds in terms of losses, but also reward blues that hunt them in proportion of both players' "track records" and their overall skill level.
Being a shepherd should be rewarded and direct the PvP hungry towards PvP that makes sense.
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

Reply #8
Why will reds living in a chaos city care about meditation points?

Reply #9
Why will reds living in a chaos city care about meditation points?

Since you are the know it all when it comes to this, I assume this was a quizz question:

- Death penalties:
    -There will be death penalties that scale with how red and infamous you are.
    -They can be avoided by having spare meditation, which is also harder for reds to obtain.
"Eilis Traee" - Uprising. Clan Crafter and Public Relations.
However, you have to take into account why we are introducing local banking.
In New Dawn, its main purpose is to be a convenience feature.
"Things just got worse."

Reply #10
@Maejohl @Eilistraee
Exactly, death penalties require meditation to be avoided.
The cost is higher for a red player, and the source of gains are lower, so individual meditation post should have a higher relative value for a red character that wants to continually play.

• gosti
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
@Ub3rgames
Is meditation drain (from player who died to the victor) still going in?

Reply #12
@gosti
Yes. a portion will be transferred, and a portion will be destroyed.
It depends on various factors, such as the alignment, skill level, track record(quest bonus percent) of both character and the latest death of the ganked character.

• Bunny
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #13
Are Death Penalties there to curb the instant use of meditation points at 10x cost, when added, to try to avoid players instantly using this system on logging on to avoid the risk of having meditation drained via pvp? or something else.

I had wondered if you were going to go cap or cooldown for this system, with benefit for full alignment bonus blue (25 days to recover status after red act) i.e.:

1. only meditation over 100k can be used for instant gains - 75k for blues;
2. cd of 3/4 days - 25% reduction for blue.

Reply #14
Not really linked to the instant meditation use.
The system is designed to try and keep both alignment and meditation important to everyone, especially at high end.

The instant use is seen more as an overflow drainage. Something to keep mechanics relevant for blue players with a lot of time on their hands that never die and earn too much to use.

Though we do aim for gold to have ongoing value, and all meditation sources are also gold sources.
The track record and other systems should then be more relevant for higher end players, even if meditation gains aren't.