Skip to main content

Topic: Low chance drops (Read 344 times) previous topic - next topic

Low chance drops
There's many games that have had succeed with this feature and I'm disappointed that it has been forgotten. For example, MU online when grinding in any mob you always had about 1% or less to get a Chaos Stone (a valuable item) or an Excellent gear(meaning that it was top of its tier).

This incredibly simple feature just made grinding NOT boring. Even if you spent hours in the same place doing the same thing you knew you always had a chance to get that jackpot and whenever you would get a valuable item afters hours and hours of grinding, the feeling of achievement would go through the roof. Then the adrenaline would kick in as if you get killed you could lose it to someone. In some weird way, having that low chance drop to get something amazing made grinding addicting.

I believe this could really help Darkfall to mitigate that boring PvE grinding that it used to have.

• Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 01:28:56 am by bael

Re: Low chance drops
Reply #1
Darkfall already had that, with house deeds, housing related items and  unique spells like "light". Some monsters dropped unique items like orbs or astrolabes as rare loot.
We will be expanding this to include crafting recipes and more "cantrips" like spells or abilities. More as we get the budget for cosmetics collectibles.

That said, most of our efforts to make grinding less boring is to encourage people to play as a group to get increased rewards and skillups, but also increased challenge. We expect that the social aspect and the more challenging and lucrative game play will make PvE exciting.
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

Reply #2
Darkfall already had that, with house deeds, housing related items and  unique spells like "light". Some monsters dropped unique items like orbs or astrolabes as rare loot.
We will be expanding this to include crafting recipes and more "cantrips" like spells or abilities. More as we get the budget for cosmetics collectibles.

That said, most of our efforts to make grinding less boring is to encourage people to play as a group to get increased rewards and skillups, but also increased challenge. We expect that the social aspect and the more challenging and lucrative game play will make PvE exciting.

I also think that some enemies should drop rare armor-set and weapons. Take the Menhir Sentinel for example. Their chance of dropping a justice bringer was way too high. I think we should reduce that by a lot. Same for R50 melee weapons dropped by hobgoblins officers and their Full plate cuirass.
We should have more of these kind of rare drops.

Some drops were already rare enough tho, but pretty much worthless. Cairn giants can drop a few piece of full plate armor, same with Shadow Knights, but only with 2-5 durability which is almost nothing for how rare these drops are. I'd be glad to see those things being a lot more rare to drop with higher durability like from 10 to 30.

Black Bolt staff were way too common and useful for pvp. These things should become rare as-well because there was almost no reason to craft them.

Next-up, the drop on gun-pounder from Gray ork was insane. As a result, there was no reason at all to craft gun-pounder. I still think they should drop some of them, but to score a large amount should be rare. Commonly, they should drop like 1-3; something that don't add up too fast to a point where crafting those don't becomes obsolete.
  • Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 09:13:44 pm by Bloodymurderer

Reply #3
Well, in a way, all those monster loot are rendered obsolete by our durability potency nerf.

We intend for salvaging to be useful. For instance, imagine dark knight armor or khamset sets that look cool but are not craftable.
Some very rare occasion, a full "crafting recipe" could drop, or people could salvage enough of those parts to craft a recipe themselves.
Sort of a grind but with multiple purposes: loot, skill ups and on the long term a recipe to learn or sell to an interested crafter.

We want to have rare loot be a cool "yay" event, but always have a crafting related alternative for those that are really unlucky.

Good point on black powder. We'll have tools to monitor inflation of specific item types, and we'll keep a look out for black powder.
Since we intend to introduce black powder based weapons and more grenades, perhaps we can have enough demand for the supply. Hopefully by launch, we'll have many of those little details fixed, but there is so much to do.
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.