Skip to main content

Topic: Reduce the world? Some more questions. (Read 569 times) previous topic - next topic

Reduce the world? Some more questions.
Hey guys, first of all GOOD WORK and I am glad you have a forum finally.

Actually you guys know Darkfall UW is out, and there is some other projects to revive DF1 etc, said that It looks like the population will be very spread and shared between all 3 games.

Have you thought about the possibility of reducing the world of Agon to make it viable and fun to play for a lower population If needed?

Where do you plan to host your server? NA or EURO? As far as I know other projects aimed for a NA server so now your project is way more interesting for me right now as I am spanish and I am not accepting to play with 100+ ping, and as I can see you are French I hope your idea is to make it in EURO but I would like to know it for sure.

Would also be GREAT to know some kind of beta launch date or something like that, just to let the hype FLY man!!!

Good luck with the project

• Fnights
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Reduce the world? Some more questions.
Reply #1
Arghhh, do not touch the beautyfull Darkfall enviroment and landcsape, i really hate that in UW. You can improve it and fix some glitches but remove some parts and make it more small will be terrible and awfull.

People will come and more, i will advertise this game in my country mmorpg forums as much as i can if the devs can manage to deliver what they promised.
If this game will turn into a true sandbox then lots of people from other sandbox, like EVe, UO and MO will come here to try the gameand see how it improved. Expecially in my native language forum, lots of people liked Darkfall but disliked the jack of all trades and the insane grind.

I have faith in this dev team and their vision, so you should give them a chance before ask for these drastic cluster removals.
  • Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 01:34:17 pm by Fnights
DnD full roadmap
Darkfall Online (Eu-1)
2009~2012
DF1 broken issues

Reply #2
Where do you plan to host your server? NA or EURO? As far as I know other projects aimed for a NA server so now your project is way more interesting for me right now as I am spanish and I am not accepting to play with 100+ ping, and as I can see you are French I hope your idea is to make it in EURO but I would like to know it for sure.

I found this already into your FAQ about server location:
"We have contacts for hosting in France, but that would be a fallback plan if we can't find good deals abroad. We want to have a single server and we'll place it where it makes the most sense ping wise for most of our players. We won't be selfish, and if it has to be NA East coast, so be it."

So, said that I suppose its also going to be located in NA too so I will have to stay playing DF UW lol

Reply #3
We have severall steps for our servers.

We will open a vanilla version in EU and it will stay like that for several months until we can make changes confidently and have improved bandwidth and other oerformances issues.
This should provide you at least a few months of low ping.

We will then move the servers, or not, where the largest playerbase is. If eastern and western european outnumber americans, we'll have an easy decision. But it is expected that NA will win out in population so we consider NY as a temporary compromise.

But the last step is to create a locally worldwide technology. For that we can't make any promises because it will be a real challenge to accomplish.
However when we succeed, it will mean low ping worldwide, including oceanians.

For the map, we will keep the original size. We need to design the game with success in mind and a too small map will be a flaw.
Revamping it would also cost too much, especially when the one we have is so well made.
If we overhaul it, it will be to increase its size if we notice enough population.
We will try to make it better and more bushy, change roads and create more hotspots, but all of that is tweaking, not changing. And it is medium priority.

The three versions of the game will end up so different that we are confident they will address 3 entirely different playerbases.
All 3 should be able to thrive if well managed.
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

Reply #4
We will open a vanilla version in EU and it will stay like that for several months until we can make changes confidently and have improved bandwidth and other oerformances issues.
Do you have any estimation on vanilla EU version start ? Simple estimation:   1 month, 2 months or more ?
I know that may be hard now until network infrastructure is not ready but I am just curious.
  • Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 05:13:42 pm by Vilhelm
Darkfall Online (Eu-1)
Anquare Quare Supreme General

Reply #5
So, said that I suppose its also going to be located in NA too so I will have to stay playing DF UW lol

You can play from spain to a NY based server easily. If they optimize their server connections properly then you will have around 90-105 ping which is completely acceptable.

• Fnights
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
Do you have any estimation on vanilla EU version start ? Simple estimation:   1 month, 2 months or more ?
I know that may be hard now until network infrastructure is not ready but I am just curious.

For what i gather they still haven't close the license deal yet, you know, is AV, they need months only to change a variable in a mere txt file, anyway i hope we have a playable version before the end of the year and only for a restrict amount of players, i think is not good show to potential new players the same game without any changes.
DnD full roadmap
Darkfall Online (Eu-1)
2009~2012
DF1 broken issues

Reply #7
AV Designers and Developers have admitted that DFO world was huge. I would suggest cutting a few pieces of sea from all the edges, as well as bringing the islands a little closer. Generally, Clan cities, hamlets, NPC cities must remain in their place. All of them. But seriously think of cutting some pieces of land from spots that are not needed, because distances were large when going on PvE. Parts of the sea must surely go off. The performance will increase imho.
Nathan Drake, Supreme General of Argonauts
Ex-Supreme General of Clan Greece.

Reply #8
it wont do shit to performance because the game doesnt load the entire map at once

Reply #9
unless there is a decent population the map seems huge. Your going to have make some serious changes that allow carebears to play and lots of content. I think adding VR would help alot too. It died because morons ran it into the ground. AV sucked. I think faster travel would be nice or something to get you around quicker. Portal Shards blow.

Reply #10
Df 1.0 map was amazing, and after playing UW and having so many great spots, cities, hamlets etc missing, I personally cannot wait to play on the original map.

Terrible and negative suggestion.

Reply #11
Classic DF community: every thread and every poll is 50/50 with a remainder of Xpiher.

Reply #12
Old DFO map was awesome.  Sorry but cutting away the world is cheesy.

Reply #13
considering the low population, ill agree with OP
map can be lowered by 25%