Skip to main content

Topic: Alteration Master + Spell Duration effect DOT's at all? (Read 376 times) previous topic - next topic

Alteration Master + Spell Duration effect DOT's at all?
What the title says. Does Alteration Master + Spell Duration effect DOT's at all?

As in should you gain an extra Dot of damage or no?

• SomeBK
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Alteration Master + Spell Duration effect DOT's at all?
Reply #1
I haven't noticed it on needles and I have 100 alteration, scholar and wc title if that helps. Unfortunately I haven't tested it with spell duration on my staff but I was doing it with a dark scepter. Hope that was helpful
Fair enough ill be there, Actually can we do it Thurs
(ive been lugging boxes of books all morning from a collection I bought and a little beat)

Reply #2
Seems like it would be way too strong if it added to duration of DOTs.  It would be far, far stronger than the Magnitude title, for DOT-focused casters.

Reply #3
Ofcourse not and it shouldnt affect it. DoT's are linked to damage/magnitude.
  • Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 01:48:21 pm by Nataz

Reply #4
Some games (ie Warframe) make DoTs affected by duration in a way to shorten the time between ticks, effectively increasing DPS without increasing damage of spells.
Not sure if that's possible without lots of under the hood changes, but if Infliction gets shown to need a buff, that might be a nice way to do it.

So with Scholar and Alteration (total +30% duration), instead of it being 1.0 seconds between ticks it'd be 0,77 seconds between ticks (1.0 / 1.30)
Wyverex Erisian, SG of Scrubs

Still a member of SaltyBitches™ Club

Reply #5
It can increase duration of Animation, but you will not deal MORE ticks. Aswell, depend on damage and time, you can obtain 1 more tick (like with Vulcano) but lost 2nd tier of ticks....
For now it is useless shit

Reply #6
It actually makes dot worst, if anything....at least it was doing for me with transfer spells.
I didn't have scholar or potent, just alteration, and i was getting transfers for 3 ticks of 10ish instead of 2 ticks of 15ish....so it was making hot worst.
Never tested on dots since i dropped the title, but my guess is that, if anything, it will do the same....more ticks for less dmg per tick (and overall same dmg)

• SomeBK
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
It actually makes dot worst, if anything....at least it was doing for me with transfer spells.
I didn't have scholar or potent, just alteration, and i was getting transfers for 3 ticks of 10ish instead of 2 ticks of 15ish....so it was making hot worst.
Never tested on dots since i dropped the title, but my guess is that, if anything, it will do the same....more ticks for less dmg per tick (and overall same dmg)
That's actually either been ninja patched or the fact that regeneration is no longer affected by titles/skills has made my transfers on par with everyone else's. My witch's brew does 2 ticks of 20ish also.

I don't mind doing more testing with others if they have a nice spell duration staff. The character I have this on has SC, WC, Alt, + Scholar maxed titles and 40 SC intensify. Would be cool to see how long I can get my buffs to last
(ive been lugging boxes of books all morning from a collection I bought and a little beat)

Reply #8
That's actually either been ninja patched or the fact that regeneration is no longer affected by titles/skills has made my transfers on par with everyone else's. My witch's brew does 2 ticks of 20ish also.

I don't mind doing more testing with others if they have a nice spell duration staff. The character I have this on has SC, WC, Alt, + Scholar maxed titles and 40 SC intensify. Would be cool to see how long I can get my buffs to last
Nice to know they have fixed that (i wonder why they didn't say it in the patch notes, though....it was pretty upsetting to have a title make something it should positively affect, if anything, being worst due to it).
Btw, i remember them saying some time ago that alteration title should have increased the duration of dot/hot even if, obviously, not linearly....but it seems they either changed their mind on it or the increase you get is not enough to have them tick more.
Imho that's how the title should work, though....the increased duration on buffs/debuffs, that last so little, is probably not worth a title as it stands now.
If they don't want to make it work on dots/hots, then they should buff the duration bonus higher than it currently is to make it a worthwhile title and something that could finally bring back to life buffs/debuffs as a possible playstile

• SomeBK
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9

Nice to know they have fixed that (i wonder why they didn't say it in the patch notes, though....it was pretty upsetting to have a title make something it should positively affect, if anything, being worst due to it).
Btw, i remember them saying some time ago that alteration title should have increased the duration of dot/hot even if, obviously, not linearly....but it seems they either changed their mind on it or the increase you get is not enough to have them tick more.
Imho that's how the title should work, though....the increased duration on buffs/debuffs, that last so little, is probably not worth a title as it stands now.
If they don't want to make it work on dots/hots, then they should buff the duration bonus higher than it currently is to make it a worthwhile title and something that could finally bring back to life buffs/debuffs as a possible playstile
No doubt man. I personally feel the Alteration title should give up to 50 or 100% buff/debuff duration and should have spells like haste and ironskin locked behind it with the title so that it actually becomes enticing to be a full fledged support

Reply #10
No doubt man. I personally feel the Alteration title should give up to 50 or 100% buff/debuff duration and should have spells like haste and ironskin locked behind it with the title so that it actually becomes enticing to be a full fledged support
Both would be probably a bit too much, but i agree that it should give a 50% bonus increase at least to make it worthwhile.
In that case, even without having ironskin/haste locked behind the title (which would really upset fire and earth mages), you'd have much better hastes/ironskin anyway....even if sligthly less powerful due to not being titled in earth/fire (but the difference is minimal anyway), your would last a lot more which would make them better than those cast by a titled fire/earth mage, in the end.

Reply #11
I would say alteration title is decent to poor at improving the fire haste/ironskin buffs as it is. Possibly just slightly worse than the other "general" mage titles.

However due to debuffs being 99% useless at the moment, the increase to those is pretty much nothing.

Title would be fine and on par with the others if debuffs were changed to be useful.

• SomeBK
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
Both would be probably a bit too much, but i agree that it should give a 50% bonus increase at least to make it worthwhile.
In that case, even without having ironskin/haste locked behind the title (which would really upset fire and earth mages), you'd have much better hastes/ironskin anyway....even if sligthly less powerful due to not being titled in earth/fire (but the difference is minimal anyway), your would last a lot more which would make them better than those cast by a titled fire/earth mage, in the end.
Maybe locking haste and ironskin behind it is overkill since it would hurt the mages titled in those schools but I do feel that both of those spells are meant for a support role. I think fire has more than enough positives going for it that it shouldn't be too impactful for a fire mage to lose haste but the earth mage would get screwed a bit. I personally feel joke ass earthquake needs to be removed as a title spell and instead it should've been stoneskin so it wouldn't be  so meta but that's another discussion I guess. I do feel Alteration title needs a buff in some way

Reply #13
Maybe locking haste and ironskin behind it is overkill since it would hurt the mages titled in those schools but I do feel that both of those spells are meant for a support role. I think fire has more than enough positives going for it that it shouldn't be too impactful for a fire mage to lose haste but the earth mage would get screwed a bit. I personally feel joke ass earthquake needs to be removed as a title spell and instead it should've been stoneskin so it wouldn't be  so meta but that's another discussion I guess. I do feel Alteration title needs a buff in some way
Completely agree with you, stoneskin should definitely be a signature spell (and, at that point, it could see a reduction in mana cost to sustain it) or, as suggested somewhere else, they could reduce the cost to keep it up for titled mages (since, as it stands now, it is basically impossible to keep it up as a mage since it nearly completely blocks your mana regen).
Imho alteration title should give a 50% increase in duration of spells to make it worthwhile.
At that point even spellchanting buffs/ witch debuff could be useful again, and not only haste/ironskin.
A spellchanting buff / witch debuff would probably last around 1.5-2 minutes if titled in alteration+school and, at that point, even if their overall effect is not that strong, they might become worth to cast.
But until they either make them more powerful or longer lasting, no one will care about casting any of them