Skip to main content

Topic: New to the game/ have questions. (Read 1261 times) previous topic - next topic

• msilvers73
  • [*]
New to the game/ have questions.
I am new to the game! Only played the game tonight for about 40-50 minutes, but this game seems rather complicated for a new player. I am not against that, as in my experience games along these lines are not the usual click the npc with the quotation mark above his head and do the same quest over and over until level 50! Anyways, I digress.. I have some general questions about the game, and would greatly appreciate any help!.
For starters, How do I access the world chat? I dont see anyone typing anything.. Is there even a world chat? Lol.
Secondly, as a new player/dwarf, what are some things I really need to focus on, and be doing early game?
Thirdly, and by far, MOST IMPORTANTLY, what is the player base like, as the few things I could find on the internet about this game seemed to be a lot around trading/pvp/ and player interaction. (which I love, it's truly what makes an mmo great in almost all instances..)

If there are any other tips you could give me, or general advice, I would greatly appreciate it and gladly follow. Idk how people private message each other, but if anyone would like to add me and help a new fellow out my first and last character name is - brutal/ Nibbles

Thanks loads, and if for some reason you cant message me in game if I gave the wrong information you can contact me at my email - michaelsilvers763@gmail.com, but replies here are definitely fine as well. Thanks so much for your time, and I look forward to playing with my fellow dark fall neighbors!
Newbie at play - beware of progress.

The will to succeed will surely surpass your experience.

• Nuyur
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: New to the game/ have questions.
Reply #1
There is no world chat.
There is a racial chat, though a lot of players have this closed sadly.
/alliance <your message>
Is used to first open it, after that its a normal chat tab you can go into and type normally.

Do your starter quests to get meditation, mediate your relevant stats for preferred playstyle to at least 50.
mages int>vit>quick>str
physical quick>vit>str>dex>int

Once you have your stats done, you need to look at how your progression is going on the actual skill portion of the game.
Topping of the stats will still give you something, but its not worth the huge ammount of med points to rush there. (it will come later).

Mages will want to unlock their school, level up the subschools and possibly push int to 75 to get all your passives unlocked and going.
Physical will want to max their melee weapon and archery skill, as this not only unlocks your passives but also gives you 5% more dmg once you cap them.
(note, mages get the 5% dmg bonus too, but you need to unlock it on every spell individually and you use quite a few of them. So its much much more work).

The playerbase is very varied.
Some old players from previous releases are here and are fairly set in their ways.
(not an ally, make it a dead person).
While there are new(er) players aswell, who tend to be a bit less hostile.
I would recommend finding a clan to join, but its hard to know what would be a good home for you these days.

General advice, use transfers and heal self.
Dont forget to eat food, it helps enourmously with maintaining your stat pools.
Dont jump/sprint when you dont have to.

Reply #2
Also decide what playstyle you want to commit to and pick your titles accordingly. Because they are timegated and the sooner you get them leveling up the better.

• msilvers73
  • [*]
Reply #3
Ty guys for all the help! Atleast I know the community can't be too dead if I got atleast two people's responses less then 24 hours wich gives me good hope. I am a dwarf and will start maxing my melee and archery asap. And also guys, sorry to continue my questions, but is food in this game basically health potions? Or do they have health potions, but food gives you similar qualities that you can stack with health potions? For example health potions give you instant hp, but no extra regen in most games, where as food gives less instant hp but a consistant regen for short period of time? Thanks again for your time guys.
Newbie at play - beware of progress.

The will to succeed will surely surpass your experience.

Reply #4
Ty guys for all the help! Atleast I know the community can't be too dead if I got atleast two people's responses less then 24 hours wich gives me good hope. I am a dwarf and will start maxing my melee and archery asap. And also guys, sorry to continue my questions, but is food in this game basically health potions? Or do they have health potions, but food gives you similar qualities that you can stack with health potions? For example health potions give you instant hp, but no extra regen in most games, where as food gives less instant hp but a consistant regen for short period of time? Thanks again for your time guys.

Food is a regen buff where pots are a quick stat over time, where food all gives same regen but has different durations and pots all give the same number of 'ticks' but the amount per tick varies on kind

Reply #5
yes Food gives hp and stamina regen, all food are same just different durations

pots youll get plenty if you do the quests

Reply #6
There is no world chat.
There is a racial chat, though a lot of players have this closed sadly.

Actually, there is both a racial chat and a racial alliance chat.

The racial chat in this case would be for dwarf race. Only dwarves can see it. Nobody uses it, although it is good for warnings about attacks around the starter cities.

The racial alliance chat is for dwarf + human + elves. The other races cannot see it, which means you can never communicate generally with the other races (ork, alfar, puppies)
  • Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 12:41:58 am by CistaCista

Reply #7
[...]
If you mean "chat bubbles": Then no. Unfortunately, there are no "chat bubbles". There is "Public" chat tab though, which has a range of ~300m or so. But people rarely ever pay attention to it.
Most communication is done in Racial and Race Alliance chat. Or Private Message (/tell firstname lastname Message)

Important things as a newbie:

- Pick your Titles (as already said). Game menu (ESC) -> Titles.
If you want to focus on Melee and Archery, pick Archery Title and some Melee Title (Greatclubs, Greatswords, ... for 2-handed weapons or even Axes, Swords, ... if you prefer 1-handed & Shield).

- Do the quest chains, starting at the Councillor.
They will give you a lot of stuff and most importantly a lot of Meditation points.
You can even do the quests in the other starter cities.

- Setup your Meditation. Game menu (ESC) -> Journal -> Meditation.
Meditate your Archery or Melee Skills or even some Stats like Str and Vit.

- Maybe join a clan.
It will help you having people around you can ask and who help you getting used to the game. I think "DOH!" is a Dwarf-only clan and from what I've heared they are very nice and helpful.
Also with a clan, you can do friendly duels without losing anything and group (PvE) activities, which help you understand the game better.

- Don't rush anything. Take your time.
The game has a long and partially steep learning curve. Especially the combat and even more so the PvP.
Don't be frustrated if you lose a PvP match. Don't get attached to your stuff ("Pixels") too much. All your possessions are temporary. And everything you lose is replaceable.

- Ask as many questions as you want.
People in game are usually very nice and helpful.

Regarding population:
It is hard to say how much players are online. There are no official numbers. And the game world is huge and due to localization people are very spread out. But there are definately a lot of people around. :)

Reply #8
[...]
Yes Darkfall is very complicated with many game play nuances only really known to experienced Veteran players.  Which is why my primary advice would be to do a bit of research and join a clan that has some of those experienced players and learn as much as you can from them. I'd also stick to a blue same racial alliance clan if possible, as you probably don't want to be going negative alignment as a new player. If you don't like the clan you join, you can always leave and join another.

Reply #9
Fortunaly chat is rather dead at the moment (mahirim orks) but you can find a list of chat commands on this website
http://darkfall.wikia.com/wiki/Emotes

or type /help in chat or system tab to output the full list of game commands

For example
/say is local 300m public chat
/race is racial chat (blue)
/alliance racial alliance (blue)
/trade racial alliance trade chat (blue)
/chaosracial ? is for reds
Visually enhance your Darkfall experience
Reshade
Reshade Quick Installer

Reply #10
The main advice would be, in no particular order:

-bank often

- don't tunnel vision toward the "end game" and just enjoy the trip: you won't be maxed any time soon, but you will have sufficient stats to hold your own rapidly due to front loading. Have fun and learn to play, it is way more important than one extra point in Wisdom.

- join a clan, it is a very clan/group based game and it l a world of difference who you play with

- don't spend too much time on the forums

- bank often

Reply #11
Other suggestions:

Gathering increases your stat. You get both strenght and vitality from mining and logging.

You can use Power hour once a day to level your skills two times faster.

Reply #12
I look forward to playing with my fellow dark fall neighbors!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reply #13
https://forums.darkfallnewdawn.com/index.php/topic,5567.0.html

Once you have found your feet, go through this post in detail and take the time to set things up.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Chunder McBushpig
Token Horde Australian

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

• Niburu
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
For meele archer I would go archery-combo-warrior-2h Weapon-whatever you want(skinning for example)
Darkfall is the best experience on PC with my pants not unzipped.