Skip to main content

Topic: Walk of Shame, why do we need that in this game? (Read 1573 times) previous topic - next topic

Walk of Shame, why do we need that in this game?
L.S.

From what i gathered from people who left this game the lack of travel options is making them stop playing. I like the local banking and having to organise ahead is fun. The old DFO had a overkill off fast travel options so nerving those is a legit means of creating a more open world. Seeing the same faces at every hotspot and leaving the casual or starting players without any pvp content other then dying to the same eltist clan over and over will destroy the population 100%.

But now we see the same thing happen because of the nerve of travel options. When you die at a fight and have no means to regear or get a mount you have to travel great distances by foot. I do not have to explain that a huge penalty on death and the long walk of shame isnt adding any positivity or fun factor to this game. You login to have some fun, if your unlucky you get outnumbered heavily and then the time consuming walk of shame starts.

Simple solution, if you die you can revive at the stone you are bound too. So no bindstone recall which you can activivate and use to transport your stuff around but a simple naked revival of your char at the place you call Home. No more walk of shame it hurts the game more then it does good and the options to revive at bindstones near to the location of death can still be used if the player wants too.

Since i can not see anything bad from adding bindstone revival which will conflict with local banking or could be abused to transport gear i see no problems on adding this to the game. If i overlooked any side effect of implementing bindstone revival please discuss, maybe there are other or better idea's which can help us get rid of that stupid time consuming walk of shame.
BimBam Kaboom - Simiran

Re: Walk of Shame, why do we need that in this game?
Reply #1
The classical argument is that the option of respawning at your capital would allow you to wear a trash bag and go try your luck/grief somewhere and suffer only half the penalty travel time of you die. But with meaningful alignment and incentives for racial warfare, this should be limited.

Another one is "bank an extra mount nearby". So you do the same walk of shame shit, just 50% faster.

I do agree with you tho, in that an option for a "capital respawn" should always be given. The PoS WoS isn't fun by itself, and since usually you do it after losing, the mood in coms isn't always the best... Adding a time sink punishment after losing a great bag doesn't bring anything positive. Hell, could always have it as a incentive to stay Blue.

Reply #2
The classical argument is that the option of respawning at your capital would allow you to wear a trash bag and go try your luck/grief somewhere and suffer only half the penalty travel time of you die. But with meaningful alignment and incentives for racial warfare, this should be limited.

Not a valid logical point imho. If you die close to your holding you can allready pick up a bag fast and jump back in the fight so for fights close to your holding you allready have 0 penalty on death. On medium distance  (several Km) it will have a minor effect, if x clan is wiped revive and come back with bindstone revival then yes there is more action, is that bad? On long distance there is 0 impact on the game, since after death getting back to the fight will take more time then the fight you died in lasts, it only makes sure the player who died can play the game instead of being forced to do a boring thing.

Another one is "bank an extra mount nearby". So you do the same walk of shame shit, just 50% faster.

I do agree with you tho, in that an option for a "capital respawn" should always be given. The PoS WoS isn't fun by itself, and since usually you do it after losing, the mood in coms isn't always the best... Adding a time sink punishment after losing a great bag doesn't bring anything positive. Hell, could always have it as a incentive to stay Blue.

The mount argument is true but try telling that to a starting casual player, his penalty of death will be bigger then to a regular super prepared veteran. If having no Walk of Shame improves population and helps retaining players and doesnt conflict with local banking then why not.
A capital recall would not solve anything, if your home is still miles away the walk of shame is still present, and it is one of the main reasons why people stop playing.
BimBam Kaboom - Simiran

Reply #3
(types capital when I meant bindstone, my bad).

Honestly I just agree with your points, I was just playing devil's advocate. I think I count as a well prepared vet with mounts and bags at eery bank I fight close to. Still, WoS sucks. And for newer players, it is even worse and a big deterrent to getting anywhere.

Between WoS and time-locked anything (titles, villages, meditation > active...), you have two of the main reasons ppl i know just log off to sometime never come back. And they are just mostly casual players, not arena-PvP leet whatever.

• XiaN
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
L.S.

From what i gathered from people who left this game the lack of travel options is making them stop playing. I like the local banking and having to organise ahead is fun. The old DFO had a overkill off fast travel options so nerving those is a legit means of creating a more open world. Seeing the same faces at every hotspot and leaving the casual or starting players without any pvp content other then dying to the same eltist clan over and over will destroy the population 100%.

But now we see the same thing happen because of the nerve of travel options. When you die at a fight and have no means to regear or get a mount you have to travel great distances by foot. I do not have to explain that a huge penalty on death and the long walk of shame isnt adding any positivity or fun factor to this game. You login to have some fun, if your unlucky you get outnumbered heavily and then the time consuming walk of shame starts.

Simple solution, if you die you can revive at the stone you are bound too. So no bindstone recall which you can activivate and use to transport your stuff around but a simple naked revival of your char at the place you call Home. No more walk of shame it hurts the game more then it does good and the options to revive at bindstones near to the location of death can still be used if the player wants too.

Since i can not see anything bad from adding bindstone revival which will conflict with local banking or could be abused to transport gear i see no problems on adding this to the game. If i overlooked any side effect of implementing bindstone revival please discuss, maybe there are other or better idea's which can help us get rid of that stupid time consuming walk of shame.

only side effect i could think of is, say you are a crafter and live on a subcontinent, you make some gear and run it to the npc markets to sell it then suicide to fast travel home. couple days later you travel to the npc market again to pick up your money, you put it in your global account and suicide to fast travel home. not that im saying its a bad thing. removing fast travel was dumb to begin with.

Reply #5
True, it can be used to fast travel back to your holding. You can add a timer on the useage of bindstone revival to avoid people using it strictly for fast transport.
BimBam Kaboom - Simiran

• gosti
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
Isn't there going to be death sickness or sth ?

Reply #7
Get rid of it, I hated it in mortal, it us even worse here.

Reply #8
If I recall correctly, devs stated that this WoS mechanic is required to stop zerg clans? or griefer clans? in some way killing off the pop or something... was long ago and fuzzy, never understood the concept. They also said that it will stay, for sure!
IGN: "Eilis Traee"
However, you have to take into account why we are introducing local banking.
In New Dawn, its main purpose is to be a convenience feature.
"Things just got worse."

Reply #9
On a piece of paper you can make everything look great and awesome but in practice you will see if that same piece of paper means something. I hope Ub3r want to see the weak points in their vision and fine tune their changed mechanics, since having no bindstone revival hurts the game more then it does good.

I really dont see the extra defensive bonus vs zerg clans, they can easily revive at a nearby bindstone run to a bank and get back in the fight. It will take them more time if they use bindstone revival then using a nearby bindstone. If 2 clans are in a regional control fight they allready have the option to revive at their own holding. If the distance is in a more medium range then reviving to a nearby bindstone, try to loot some gear and then going back to the fight is always faster then using bindstone revival.

The only thing what has an influence if a clan use's the bindstone revival to defend a holding instead of riding back. They will reach their holding faster then without bindstone revival. Countering a massive bindstone revival is also very easy, guard the bank dont let them gear up and thats it.

I see no conflict with local banking and it does not reward elitist or zerg clans, come on Ub3r get off your high horse and give us some quality of life. We just want to spend our time more efficiently instead of running around naked doing nothing.

BimBam Kaboom - Simiran

Reply #10
Ask for the same thing few weeks back.

I don't see how the system could really be abused. Yes, selling the shit you got on your back, but it's no big deal...

I think the 0 fast travel is a philosophy... it's way past time to be practical.

• gosti
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
Please let me respawn at my capital holding @Ub3rgames

Reply #12
Walk of Shame has to stay!
It's the only thing protecting new players from gankhungry veterans!
Once warfronts are implemented in 2020 Walk of Shame won't be a problem anymore!
If you don't see this you don't get the VISION!!!!!

Reply #13
Walk of Shame has to stay!
It's the only thing protecting new players from gankhungry veterans!
Once warfronts are implemented in 2020 Walk of Shame won't be a problem anymore!
If you don't see this you don't get the VISION!!!!!
New shill?

Reply #14
A wise man learns from others mistakes.
A normal person learns from his own.
A fool never learns.

If you are too stupid to bank mounts in various locations you deserve to walk.
Chunder McBushpig and Chunder Struck