Skip to main content

Poll

Should we moderate the forums?

• Yes
  • No

Topic: Poll: Should we moderate the forums? (Read 6854 times) previous topic - next topic

Poll: Should we moderate the forums?
Greetings,

To be blunt: We do not desire to moderate the forums out of principle.
We do not mind vocality or criticism, we embrace it, and we would prefer not to censure our forums. Ignoring exists for a reason.
We have historically taken the time to explain our stand points and it has generally worked much better than any moderation could.
However, we are considering changing that, but only if the community supports and arguments for it.

1) Unfortunately, we do not have that time nowadays and it is looking like it is unlikely that we do in the short term.
The resources available for the forums had to be converted to GM resources, forcing us to change policy on that front too.
You can read more about it on the recent PSA about interacting with GMs.

A side note regarding weekly communication:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

2) What really prompted this poll is that we received a growing number of reports, but more worryingly, players that have been historically critical of us are part of those requesting us to moderate the forums.
The trigger has been when we've been told: "What's the point if our feedback is lost in that mess?"

We rely on constructive criticism, and there are some valid points that we need to address.
But if the forums no longer provides a space to factually discuss the game, they become useless to us and to the community.

3) Another recurring argument in favor of moderation is the outside perception.
We generally do not mind or even take into account spamming, and we know actual players do not either. We have faith that most people are smart enough to know the difference between trolling and actual feedback.
More than that: people should be allowed to be angry or wrong on the internet.

But this total disconnect between in-game ambiance and forums noise is potentially worrying to new customers.

So there you have our reasons to even ask the question.
If it turns out the community really supports it beyond the reporting function, we'll consider moderating.
Note that this is an informal poll, we'll do what we are convinced of after the discussion on the thread.
So argument away.
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

Re: Poll: Should we moderate the forums?
Reply #1
free the people

• Valar
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #2
Free speech

Reply #3
Ub3rgames, all the talks about how buying indev subscription gets you live server time was a lie. It appears all I bought is some more time on unfinished product. And I'm not talking about game not being polished enough. It lacks fundamental features you promised us. People believed in you, you shit all over this trust.

You sold us live server time and then released unfinished game. It's like you wiped and continued indev. I want my live server time to count from the moment this game has things you promised to be finished/implemented. Instead you changed the road map / features list after you got money from us. All the moderation in the world won't change this.
  • Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 11:57:39 am by wildNothing

Reply #4
lol

• Niburu
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Moderation for sure
Darkfall is the best experience on PC with my pants not unzipped.

Reply #6
Censorship is proven to work, i vote yes!

Reply #7
Imagine that news headline on some gaming website. "MMO company asks their users with a forum poll whether or not they should be moderating their forums"

• Leo Woods
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #8
Don't waste resources on moderating the forums ffs.

• Khor
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #9
Ub3rgames, all the talks about how buying indev subscription gets you live server time was a lie. It appears all I bought is some more time on unfinished product. And I'm not talking about game not being polished enough. It lacks fundamental features you promised us. People believed in you, you shit all over this trust.

You sold us live server time and then released unfinished game. It's like you wiped and continued indev. I want my live server time to count from the moment this game has things you promised to be finished/implemented. Instead you changed the road map / features list after you got money from us. All the moderation in the world won't change this.

@wildNothing

List the things Ub3r promised and was not implemented on release. List them precisely when and where they promised.

• MNO
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
4. Another argument is that with the amount of absolute dogshit posts, it makes people that actually contribute to discussion and ideas to not want to bother coming here.

The forums right now feel like I'm stepping back in time to preschool, filled with snotty children.

Literally straight up ban about 6 people and the forums become a hundred times more palatable. This isn't moderation that requires hours of work. Anyone with half a brain can jump on and point out in about 20 minutes how to fix 90% of the problem.

• gosti
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11

Moderation isn't censorship.

• Niburu
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12

@wildNothing

List the things Ub3r promised and was not implemented on release. List them precisely when and where they promised.

I like DND alot but:

- ARAC penalities
- Regeneration, Contrips
- Watchtowers
Darkfall is the best experience on PC with my pants not unzipped.

Reply #13

Moderation isn't censorship.

''and we would prefer not to censure our forums''

Seems like it's the same thing to ub3r

Reply #14
Legitimate complaints about the game shouldn't be moderated.

Obvious troll threads should be moderated however.
  • Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 12:29:51 pm by MikeJT