Skip to main content

Topic: Beginners Guide to Starting out in Darkfall New Dawn (Read 7773 times) previous topic - next topic

Beginners Guide to Starting out in Darkfall New Dawn
My clan leader asked to write up a quick guide for new players coming in on how to get their shit going, and the priorities they should have in the first little bit. I noticed some people around here asking similar questions and figured id post this here too while the server is still new and people are coming in or returning and forgot a bunch of shit.

This is a beginners guide to Darkfall. It's not meant as an in-depth progression plan for the next half a year for you. It's meant to get you going by identifying the key skills and spells new character want to focus on to jumpstart their characters. Look at the table of contents and search for the number you are interested in with control + F to jump to a section.

Table of contents

1.0 Character Creation
2.0 Stats, Skills, and Spells
3.0 Diminishing returns, Power Jumps and Scaling
4.0 Alignment questing and meditation
5.0 Crafting Character
6.0 Combat Character: Melee
7.0 Combat Character: Archery
8.0 Combat Character: Mage
9.0 Encumbrance
10.0 Squirreling
11.0 Miscellaneous tips
12.0 Changelog

1.0 Character creation: Races:

The biggest decision when it comes to character creation is of course race. There are several salient differences to think about:

Hitbox/Reach

There is debate on which combination of reach/hitbox is best, but the differences are minor enough to not worry about too much. The gist: humans are average. Elves are taller, but skinnier with equivalent reach. Dwarves are shortest but widest, with maybe slightly less reach. Alfar are short and skinniest, with short reach. Mahirim are tallest and slightly wider with longest reach. Orks are slightly taller and slightly wider with slightly longer reach.

Races also have racial skills.

Humans: Nourishment (food) duration buff. Nice quality of life bonus but no real impact.
Elf: Increase in range to "tag" someone (be able to see their health/name/clan). Excellent for scouts or solo/small group pvpers.
Dwarves: Durability increase on crafted weapons/armor. Hands down the best racial in the game for a crafter. Dwarven crafters can reach the maximum potential durability.
Ork: Axe damage. A few point of damage on axes. Axes are currently considered sub-par to greatswords, with the exceptions of axes on orks, who's damage bonus (on a skilled ork who can land the hits with the smaller swing arc) compensates the greatswords superior arc.
Mahirim:  ???? I'm going to look into this. Sorry folks, I don't know, I will update once I do. If you know please reply in this thread or pm me.
Alfar: ???? I'm going to look into this. Sorry folks, I don't know, I will update once I do. If you know please reply in this thread or pm me.

Factions

These are the racial alliances which are what "factions" are in most other games. There are 3 factions.

-Alfar
-Mahirim + Orcs
-Humans + Dwarves + Elves

Each faction is at war with the other 2. You are able to go and use any npc city owned by your faction, and quest there or use the vendors/crafting stations.
Note: that you CAN kill players of your own alliance or even race. This has the juicy benefits of taking their loot, but has repercussions with the alignment system, which we'll discuss later in the guide.

Decision Time

So, at the end of the day, each race has minor things here and there. They add up to give you some flavor, and slight bonuses to an aspect of your gameplay. These bonuses are not big. Choosing a race purely cuz u think they look cool is absolutely fine, and even encouraged. You'll enjoy your gameplay more and won't notice the difference. Now of course there's always the min-maxers like me, especially in competitive games. So for those who want to maximize their gameplay, to decide on which race you want to play, look at the combination of hitbox/reach, Racial skills, and the faction to get an idea of what would augment you most.

(PSSST) For whatever public opinion is worth, most consider humans to be the top tier for pvp simply for the best hitbox/reach combination. For whatever my opinion is worth, I think it's best to choose based on your playstyle, but only if you're rerolling having played DF before. Having been through several iterations of darkfall I know the way I move, and choose a hitbox/reach combo that works best with me.

2.0 Stats, Skills, and Spells

The effects of stats in DF are pretty self explanatory. You can open up your stats and hover over them to find out everything you need to know so I won't list it all out here.

One thing you should note is that many skills require a minimum in a magic school, stat or other skill. Most spells require a school at a certain level to learn.

To level up your stats, you must be using a skill tied to a stat. For example, a melee weapon skill is tied to str, vit, and qui. Archery is dex, qui. Stats level at different speeds from different activities. Theres too many variations to list here, you'll have to try things out and see.

Magic schools level as you use the skills and spells under them. For example, to level fire magic you cast a fire spell. As you level the magic school, more spells and some skills become available.

Weapon skills level by using the weapon. I know, get outta here, right?

Passive skills level... actively. A passive skill is a skill you cannot actually use (for example endurance, which grants stamina regeneration). there is no active component. however to level that skill, you need to be lvling other skills that use stamina. basically these skills level naturally over the course of your gameplay. you can also meditate them, but their effects are minor and there's better options to meditate on.

Diminishing Returns, Power Jumps, and Scaling

First, to define diminishing returns. Diminishing returns means that instead of linear progression from 1-100, you get a curve that jumps at first and then really slows down at the end. This means the first 50 points are worth way more than the last 50 points. As you gain each point, its worth less and less, but you start at way over average gains per point.

this effect is in place for all weapons skills, and all stats.

Every skill or school goes from 1-100. However, most skills tie together with stats and other skills or schools to determine the final numbers. Lets take melee. Given the same weapon, your damage will be determined by your strength, and a combination of your weapon and weapon mastery skill. For now, melee+mastery/archery+sharpshooter is the only skill where this combination effect occurs.

While each stat and skill there works under diminishing returns, the mastery/sharpshooter have a requirement of 75 weapons skill/archery respectively. This brings me to the power jump. Levelling your melee, you will slowly gain a little strength. As you hit close to 75 melee skill, if you play normally, you will be likely getting close to 40-50 str. At this point the gains per point of str are starting to swing down in the curve, and levelling stuff is taking a while. Theres a really slow grind from 60-75 where you don't see much improvement.

However, at 75 there is a tiny "power jump". You get mastery. Mastery, coming in at lvl1, is absurdly easy to lvl for the first little bit like all skills, (though overall its one of the slowest in general as you'll feel once u get it up a bit). So what happens is going from 75-80 melee skill gets you about 25-40 mastery. Melee damage from weapons is done with a diminishing returns curve on a 1-200 skill point graph based on weapons skill + mastery skill. So the difference between a player with 70 weapon skill and 80 weapon skill + 40 mastery skill is actually 50 points. It's the difference between being at 70 or 120 on the 1-200 curve. This difference translates into a couple points of damage since its fairly high up on the diminishing returns curve, but it is tangible.

The exact same thing happens with archery. Spells are planned to undergo their own spell-by-spell rebalancing and rescaling down the line. The current last word is sort a general basis of 1-300 progression based on spell lvl + school lvl + archmage skill. A similar small power jump here occur at archmage instead of weapon mastery

I'd say you should aim for about 60 in your weapon skills and 50 with your spells. this should let you be pretty on par in pvp. even the most advanced characters can be overcome from there with only a few extra hits or heals in a fight.

4.0 Alignment, Questing, and Meditation:

Alignment is your standing with your racial alliance or faction. You start with 10 alignment points, and as a "blue". This gives you access to all your factions NPC cities, crafting station and vendors. It also provides the maximum boost to your quest rewards, more than doubling them.

If your hit is the one that downs a player of your faction you lose 8 alignment. If you gank (finish off a downed player) someone of your alliance you lose another 4 alignment, putting you at -2 and making you red instead of blue. There is a mechanic where you can go to a "chaos city" (basically an npc city not bound by alignment, often in a lawless land) and pray at the altar with a gold offering to gain some alignment back. This has a cooldown and if you go deep into red it may take you a bit to come back to being blue.

As a blue, you cannot hit other blues without going rogue or "grey".  Going grey allows any other blues around you to hit and kill you while remaining blue. The first time you hit another blue, there is an 8 second window before you go blue again. This short span is to account for accidental hits. If you hit a blue on accident, immediately stop attacking and wait out the timer. If you hit a blue a second time, you will go full "grey" for 2 minutes. Be aware as some people will actively try to jump in front of you while you fight mobs to make you grey, and able to be attacked and killed by them.

the current benefit to being blue is access to quests and thus meditation points. The downside is you cannot kill people of your own faction, and thus have less potential loot from pvp. Also have to mention the satisfaction you can get from dropping a really annoying person who unfortunately happens to be an ally.

Each starting area has a quest chain that branches out into multiple chains. It starts from the spawn area. talk to the councilor and click the quest tab up top. You can read the quest and view the rewards (note that being full alignment will more than double the gold, material and mediation gain from the quests, but NOT the gear). Accepting quests will put markers on your map. I suggest all new player go through their starting quest chain, as it will teach you many of the mechanics of the game and give you starting gear, gold, materials, and meditation points to help get you going.

Regarding meditation. This is a system of gaining experience in skills while offline. In darkfall, you level skills/spells (and their associated school and attributes) by using them. This has the issue that a player who spends more time in game can get more advanced very quickly compared to a casual player. Meditation helps casual players level the field so that winning in the game is not dependent on time played, but on personal skill. To access your meditation menu, go to your journal. You can select which school, skill, or attribute you want to meditate on. Make sure to click save when you make changes. Once you select something, your character will skill up in it whenever you are offline, as long as you have points. You can turn off meditation if you wish to stockpile points for say a lengthy period where you will be away and unable to play.

Meditation is NOT required. You can get by quite fine completely without it if you don't want to do quests. You can totally just go dive into the deep end and head out into the world right from the get-go. I would not advise it for new players, but for those interested, there is nothing that you cant level without meditation, and going RPK or just ignoring quests is completely fine.

How to get back to blue alignment: You can pray at an altar in a chaos city, paying 2000 gold once per day. this gives you 2 alignment back towards blue. Getting back to blue is time consuming and expensive, especially for a new character. Be aware of that. You can't simply flip-flop around. if you decide to go red and kill everything you see for a while, be prepared to be in that style of gameplay for a bit, as you won't be able to just jump back to blue right away.

Lets move on to some first steps/goals for different types of gameplay you might be interested in.

5.0 Crafting Character:

For a crafting character, consider dwarf as it starts with higher wisdom, which is your crafting attribute, and has a racial skill that giver armor/weapons you craft more durability, an important attribute for most buying players. Thw higher wisdom also increases your success chance while crafting, as well as the durability of the items you create. If you plan to participate in combat with the character, even down the line, keep in mind Dwarves are somewhat agreed to have probably the worst hitbox/reach combo compared to other races. It's not the end of the world, as these differences are minor, but if you want to min-max, there you have it. At the very least, I would suggest the human/dwarf/elf alliance to get access to the most cities/players and thus have a bigger market. That being said if everyone does this there will be Mahirim/orc and Alfar markets really ripe for the picking ;)

Start off doing your quests in the starter cities. The important thing here is meditation points. You can access your meditation menu through your journal.

You want to set your meditation to wisdom immediately. Your goal is to rack up 40 wisdom ASAP to get your trueforge weapon or armor skills and begin lvling them. Trueforge is your "endgame skill". It increases durability on the gear you make. Try for at least 20k meditation, maybe 30k if you want to be safe and don't play often. This doesn't take long and can be gotten in a couple hours questing. The quests will also get you some gear and gold to get you going.

You can start your crafting before you get trueforge, but try to save the big pushes for until after u get it. You can spend some time gathering to further help push you to 40 wisdom, and get you the materials u need to craft anyway. You're probably going to be doing a lot of gathering to feed your craft.

For the actual crafting, make the cheapest item you can, as the materials spent per item does not matter for skill gains. Its amount of crafts. So for example while weaponsmithing, make 1 handers, not 2 handers. Or for armor, making gloves will give the same skillups as the chestpiece. NOTE, however, that you should still be making the highest RANK of the gear you can make, as making lower ranks once you've progressed past them gives minimal skillups. So the optimal strategy is to make r0 1-hander up to 25 skill, then switch to r10 1-handers to 50, then to r20 1-handers, etc. Similarly for armor.

Now get your butt out there and make some shinies!

6.0 Combat Character: Melee

Start off with questing, as meditation will help you speed your character along at first. Farm it as much as you want as unlike crafters u don't have a big important stat to go for like 40 wisdom, but every bit helps while u are offline. If you plan to stay blue, you only need enough to maintain skilling up while offline. If you plan to move away from starting areas, or going red, I'd suggest stockpiling some meditation before leaving to get an early boost while u can. This is what I did, stacking up 50k, and I won't be going back personally. However if you plan to stay blue a bit, meditation is a big help, and its not hard tto come back and quest once in a  while.

Spend your meditation on lesser magic to rush it to 30 if you don't get it before you log off. Getting all your 3 transfers in ASAP is huge. Transfers are the core of combat in Darkfall. There are 3 transfers, mana to stamina, stamina to health, and health to mana. As you can guess, they take away from one stat pool and give to another. As you level, they get much more efficient and will gain you lots of stats. Continue lesser magic to 50 to pick up greater magic. After that, meditate on greater magic to 25, then get witchcraft and meditate on that to 75. At 75 witchcraft you can get witches brew, arguably the best heal in the game. Getting transfers into witches brew is your first priority after transfers, as healing is even bigger for melee pushers than anyone else. After that spend your medi points how you want to round out your early character. Maybe on attributes.

Pick a 2 handed melee style. Currently the competitive weapons are greatsword and polearms, with some greataxes being used, but they are sub-par on anything but orc (who get a racial bonus making them potentially worth it). I suggest greatswords as the easiest to start with. They have high dps, and excellent arcs, and most importantly you will get them most often from pvp loot. Start using weapons of those style to level it. Farm mobs with them, and you will notice them lvling. you can buy melee skills for your weapon at 25 (power attack, knockback and sieze) and 50 (whirlwind). At 75 you can buy mastery for your weapon, further boosting your "normal hit" dps. Strength is the damage on hit attribute for melee, with quickness boosting attack speed.

I would note here that once you hit mastery in one 2h weapon, consider getting another to 50 weapon skill so you can have 2 whirlwinds.

Now even though you might plan on being melee-heavy, it is ABSOLUTELY required that you also have a bow and are decent with archery. Non-melee players will not stand there letting you whack them. They will kite you. Read the archer section for an explanation of jump-shotting and expect it. Your counter is to pull out your own bow and shoot them in the back while they do it. Theres more indpeth interactions that begin to happen in this combat style between 2 experienced players, but they are outside the scope of a beginners guide. You NEED to be able to apply damage and pressure while chasing. Do NOT neglect your archery. Spend some time farming mobs with a bow and get your archery skill up. You get veteran archery (less stamina usage on shot) at 50. You get spirited archery (attack speed) and sharpshooter (damage increase) at 75. Dexterity is the damage on hit attribute for bows, with quickness boosting attack speed.

Have a 1 hander and shield. Blocking is huge when you are getting focused in pvp and your heals are on cooldown. You don't need to level 1 handed skilled up unless you plan to go mounted combat (which I wont cover here, as its currently sub-par and would be an advanced combat style not for new players. Experiment with it on your own, its not hard to figure out  ). For now just have any 1 hander and shield so you are able to switch to it and block at a moments notice.

Good luck, and go smack something with that big 2h!

7.0 Combat Character: Archery

Start off with questing, as meditation will help you speed your character along at first. Farm it as much as you want as unlike crafters u don't have a big important stat to go for like 40 wisdom, but every bit helps while u are offline. If you plan to stay blue, you only need enough to maintain skilling up while offline. If you plan to move away from starting areas, or going red, I'd suggest stockpiling some meditation before leaving to get an early boost while u can. This is what I did, stacking up 50k, and I won't be going back personally.

Spend your meditation on lesser magic to rush it to 30 if you don't get it before you log off. Getting all your 3 transfers in ASAP is huge. Transfers are the core of combat in Darkfall. There are 3 transfers, mana to stamina, stamina to health, and health to mana. As you can guess, they take away from one stat pool and give to another. As you level, they get much more efficient and will gain you lots of stats. Continue lesser magic to 50 to pick up greater magic. After that, meditate on greater magic to 25, then get witchcraft and meditate on that to 75. At 75 witchcraft you can get witches brew, arguably the best heal in the game. Getting transfers into witches brew is your first priority. After that spend your medi points how you want to round out your character. Maybe on attributes.

Grab a bow and some arrows. Archery is very powerful for farming mobs, as it will allow you to farm higher level mobs than you could with melee, since you will be hit less too. Its an excellent money maker and I encourage you to try out spawns to push your limits. Archery in Darkfall has gravity, and the shot will arc. If you are shooting at something farther, you need to have your crosshair higher up. There is also travel time, so you need to lead your targets. You will very quickly find out the hard way the first time you hit up a simple goblin spawn and they are better archers than you ;) But don't worry, with practice you will learn to hit things and dodge the opponent. Its even harder in PVP, but even more rewarding to get it right.

You get veteran archery (less stamina usage on shot) at 50. You get spirited archery (attack speed) and sharpshooter (damage increase) at 75. Dexterity is the damage on hit attribute for bows, with quickness boosting attack speed.
As an archer, there is 1 tactic you ABSOLUTELY have to get down, and that is jump shooting. Jump shooting is when you are sprinting away from your target, charge a bow shot, jump into the air, do a 180 turn, shoot the target, and turn around before you land to continue running in the same direction. This allows you to continue damage, even while running away. Mobs and players will often want to melee you, and run right at you. If you backpedal, you will be moving slower and they will catch you. 2-handers to the face arent fun. You can practice this tactic on mobs. Be aware that good players will see what you're doing and twitch sideways as you turn. This is still good for you, as it increases the distance between you and your opponent. There are more indepth interactions in this combat style, particularly between 2 experienced players, but they aren't in the scope of this beginners guide.

Have a 1 hander and shield. Blocking is huge when you are getting focused in pvp and your heals are on cooldown. You don't need to level 1 handed skilled up unless you plan to go mounted combat (which I wont cover here, as its currently sub-par and would be an advanced combat style not for new players. Experiment with it on your own, its not hard to figure out  ). For now just have any 1 hander and shield so you are able to switch to it and block at a moments notice.

I would highly suggest getting some melee skills in a 2 handed weapon. For an archery character I would suggest polearms. You are not trying to stick melee to a target. You want to exchange 1 or 2 hits and get back to having distance and shooting. Polearms are excellent because they have the largest single hits (which you pay for with very slow attack speed), and a mini-knockback, which if played right can get you the distance you need to resume jump-shooting. You don't need high skill. Honestly just look to trade a normal hit and whirlwind and get back to machine gunning those arrows.

8.0 Combat Character: Mage

Mages are more difficult and expensive than other character types. You require more skills before you truly come into your power. Expect to do a lot of farming.

Start off with questing for meditation. I would suggest doing a lot more than the other character types. You're going to want to use meditation to level multiple schools, and save yourself the cash of trying to level them with reagents as much as possible. If you plan to be blue, you don't need to worry as much about stacking it up, just make sure you are always meditating on something. If you plan to go red or just leaving the starting areas asap, I'd suggest maxing your meditation at its 100k max before leaving. It might take you some time, but its still pretty quick. I'd expect it can be done at 10 hours, and that's going slowly. This will also get you tonnes of goodies, gold and gear from the quests, as well as skillups from doing them.

Spend your meditation on lesser magic to rush it to 30 if you don't get it before you log off. Getting all your 3 transfers in ASAP is huge. Transfers are the core of combat in Darkfall. There are 3 transfers, mana to stamina, stamina to health, and health to mana. As you can guess, they take away from one stat pool and give to another. As you level, they get much more efficient and will gain you lots of stats. Continue lesser magic to 50 to pick up greater magic. Get your greater magic to 50 (picking up witchcraft and spell chanting at 25 greater magic).

At 50 greater, you can pick up elemental schools. Each school is good in its own way, and eventually you will get them all. Ultimately any school is fine for your first couple, and u can get by with any of them.

However if you are just starting out, and have no1 to help you, I suggest air magic. Its first spell uses mandrake, which is the cheapest casting reagent, at half the cost of the next one. This will help you lvl on minimum funds. Air also has decent spells all around. It's usually a good secondary school if you go something else first.

Another good option is fire. Straight up damage is always good, and fire doles out damage. Look to push for magma storm, the bread and butter skill of fire. It allows you to "juggle" with knockups, hitting people with rays while they are in the air.

I would not suggest earth or water starting out. Both have useful spells (especially earth with its protections buff) but you should look to pick them up later when u can afford to, not as your first choices.

after you have 1 or 2 elemental schools going decently, look to start mixing in working on witch craft and spell chanting. You want both at 75 ultimately. Grab witches brew from witch craft at 75 for more healing, and look to pick up and lvl arcane once you hit 75 chanting. In arcane your goal is Wall of Force. WoF or "bubble" is one of the only CC's in the game and it's incredibly strong.

Be aware that yes, you will be leveling several schools at once. This can be difficult and I'd suggest picking targets a couple at a time. This is all very malleable depending on your own playstyle and the size of the groups u run with or if u solo. For example while solo u can leave chanting/arcane till last. For large groups you might want to prioritize that asap, like maybe once you have 2 rank 50 nukes from 2 elemental schools. Witchcraft should always be a priority as you do other stuff. Work in a spell while u farm mobs here and there. Witches brew is the best heal in the game and is hugely important for anyone. Try to look for it as you're hitting your rank 50 nukes. Having 2 rank 50s and withes brew is the breakpoint at which I'd consider a mage "pvp viable", where you no longer have to MASSIVELY outskill a developed character to win.

Have a 1 hander and shield. Blocking is huge when you are getting focused in pvp and your heals are on cooldown. You don't need to level 1 handed skilled up unless you plan to go mounted combat (which I wont cover here, as its currently sub-par and would be an advanced combat style not for new players. Experiment with it on your own, its not hard to figure out  ). For now just have any 1 hander and shield so you are able to switch to it and block at a moments notice. THIS IS OF UTMOST IMPROTANCE TO A MAGE. You are generally wearing lower armor than an archer or melee to avoid encumbrance (more on that ahead) and thus get absolutely wrecked if someone gets on you and sticks to you. Blocking is your savior. Blocking slows attack speed on top of reducing damage taken, so if someone gets on you IMMEDIATELY block, and squirrel around (more on squirreling and what it means later). After you block a hit, there will be a longer than normal delay before the next swing, try to take advantage by making a decisive dart to the side and thus attempting to leave melee range.
Eventually, look to working a 2 hander up to 50 for whirlwind. Being slightly less than helpless in melee will make a big difference. The goals is still not to stay in melee, but rather to be able to take a trade before your escape without coming out too bad by dealing some damage in return.

9.0 Encumbrance

In darkfall, most armor adds encumbrance. Notable exceptions are robes. Heavier armor with more protections adds more encumbrance. Encumbrance impedes your ability to do damage or heal by slowing down your casts and attacks, as well as lowering their damage.

There are skills for fighting encumbered that automatically level as you fight with armor on. They will increase the amount of encumbrance you can have before it starts affecting you. You do not need to buy these, as they are already on your character. They will level naturally as you play at a decent rate.

On your stats window, your encumbrance is on the bottom left. There are 4 numbers. General encumbrance is on the top. This is the total from your gear as per the tooltips. (there is also a spell that you can have cast on you to increase it, but most people wont bother)

The next three numbers are your encumbrance that actually matters. Its what will affect your swings, shots, skills and spells. If one of the three has a number beside it, it means your encumbrance is impeding that aspect of combat for you. The higher the number the worse the effect is. The general consensus is to stay below 10, though some situations might call for going higher (such as a siege or large scale engagement) The top number is for melee. Melee has a higher base encumbrance they can tolerate before a number even shows up there. The next is archery, and is the "medium" tolerance one. Heavy armor will encumber you here, but with high armored archery skill, you can wear many medium armors and stay at 0 archery encumbrance. For magic, there is very little tolerance before you get penalties. You have to wear the lightest armors to avoid having heavy encumbrance penalties. This encumbrance mechanic is exactly what makes mages so "squishy". You take a lot of damage because you have to wear lighter armor.

Your goal while gearing is to stay below 10 encumbrance while getting as many protections as you can. Note that you can enchant chest pieces with bonuses to avoiding encumbrance, and can thus dip a bit higher in armor without incurring penalties, or reduce the penalties you're going to take if ur trying to max our your defenses for say a melee pusher in a siege.

10.0 Squirreling

"Squirreling" is a DF lingo for the act of making erratic movements while sprinting to try and shake off an enemy on you, or make it harder for ranged attacks to hit you. It's a defensive move and is usually done while blocking or healing. Try to avoid falling into a pattern like many people do while they focus on pressing keys to heal. This is immensely important. Falling into a pattern makes you easy to predict even if you're switching directions a lot.

Good movement is one of the cornerstones of a great player. Theres not much else I can tell you here for a beginners guide. Theres aspect of mindgames and advanced tactics you can use for your movement, but it will come with practice.  All I will say is that eventually, you should look to do different types of movement/squirreling based on the skill of the players you fight, judged by the combat as it develops. For the beginning, just work on being random and not falling into a pattern as you focus on healing, blocking, food, pots and whatever else.
  • Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 01:19:04 am by Benevolence
Dont let your memes be dreams

Re: Beginners Guide to Starting out in Darkfall New Dawn
Reply #1
11.0 Miscellaneous tips

-Going grey in an npc city, or getting too close to an opposing faction's city = death. Towers do 50 damage a shot and shoot fast. On the same frame, if you are new and see someone red in shiny looking armor coming for you at the goblin spawn, run to the city. It may save you. Don't forget to squirrel and heal as you can while you do it.

-Food. FOOD. FOOOOOOOOD. Seriously, get food. Fishing and cooking your catch is a great way to get food early. Food is HUGE. So fucking huge. For any combat character. Do NOT leave home without food. It more than doubles your regeneration and makes a MASSIVE difference in a fight, and even more so with farming mobs. Hotbar it and if in combat with a player, have food running 24/7. I see players who play for months or years neglect their food uptime, and its ridiculous. Its so overpowered.

-Food. Seriously it's worth mentioning twice.

Use the Darkfall maps.
-http://darkfall-info.com/map/
-http://www.geckzilla.com/dfstuff/dfmap.swf

those 2 links lead to player created and maintained interactive maps of Darkfall. You can find mob pawns, chests, holdings, villages, etc on them. I HIGHLY suggest making good use of them. They are not complete, so please feel free to contribute any information you find not on the maps to their webpages so their owners and maintainers can update them for everyone's benefit.

-don't get your mount stolen. As a new player, a mount can be a big deal. Don't get off of it beside other players as they can jump right on and ride away. Make sure no1 is around and immediately despawn it. I stole 2 mounts on day 1 on the alpha launch from careless people and it helped me a tton, but probably fucked them over pretty bad. Its darkfall, it's a competitive world. Don't expect people to return your shit.

-bank often. It might seem like a chore, but if you die you lose EVRYTHING on you. Including everything you farmed. I guarantee you will ignore this at least once. You will push it "oh just a few more spawns and I'll go back." After you lose all those goodies, don't let it happen a second time. Bank any amount of loot that you consider important. As you progress and build your bank you will be fine with staying until you fill up your carry capacity. In the beginning however, bank often.

-Don't get mad. You WILL die. A lot. And dying means losing all your shit. You will get loot stolen from you by another blue. You will farm for ages and have everything taken from you by 5 guys u had no chance against. You will lose sieges, get bindcamped and screwed over in ways u cant even imagine yet. Getting mad won't help. It just feeds the people screwing you over. If you start raging at the people who killed you at a spawn, guess who's coming back all the time to laugh at your rage after they kill you? On top of that, and especially as a new character, if you laugh it off and say "gf" or something, a lot of vets will be inclined to rez you, or at least leave ur shit on your corpse that you canretrieve. If you rage expect to have everything taken and deleted just to spite you more. It's a harsh game, and shit happens. Don't get mad. Theres a reason that when you ide, a "welcome to darkfall" message comes into your chat on respawn.

-don't burn yourself out. Don't spend days and weeks grinding up. Mix in some roaming and fucking around. Too many people try to get to max and then quit cuz they don't feel like logging in anymore. Progress at your own pace, and enjoy the game.

-JOIN A CLAN. JOIN. A. CLAN. Im throwing this at the end highlighting it because even for the people who skip stuff and see this as the bottom, its THAT important. Joining a clan will make darkfall for you. Its not just "a better experience", it completely changes the game. You will know what I mean where you fight your first siege ;) the friendships you make, the enemies and rivals from opposing clans, and all the politically-driven gameplay you will have will define darkfall for you.

Thanks for reading folks, welcome to the game that will ruin gaming you. Once you go Darkfall you don't go back. Nothing quite matches the adrenaline rush this game gives you.

Good Luck!
  • Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 02:03:51 am by Benevolence

Reply #2
12.0 Changelog

-July 26, 2016: Updated guide for patch 2.0 added 2 sections. Cleaned up some formatting and expanded a couple sections.
  • Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 02:06:03 am by Benevolence

Reply #3
No pressure.
The Darkfall: New Dawn Dev Team.

Reply #4
Do you recommend any of the upgrades such as Destroyer, Indestructible, Mage Hunter, Mage Killer and so on?

Reply #5
ork should use 2h axe for smork power
i hate how everyone says oh you should use 2H GS when every weapon should be viable

• Nat
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #6
ork should use 2h axe for smork power
i hate how everyone says oh you should use 2H GS when every weapon should be viable

Every weapon should be viable, but they are not, at least not yet. If you are an Ork, go Greatsword. I am one of the proudest Ork's you will ever find and I can admit that Greatask's suck compared to a Greatsword even with the racial passive.

Reply #7
Do you recommend any of the upgrades such as Destroyer, Indestructible, Mage Hunter, Mage Killer and so on?

Each of those is viable. I wouldn't recommend one over the other since it's a playstyle choice. I did forget about those, and i'll update the guide with a section on the title system later. Have to off to work right now, but thx for the reminder :D

• Golcond4
  • [*]
Reply #8
it's a shame that you need melee weapons even if going full mage :(

Reply #9
it's a shame that you need melee weapons even if going full mage :(

DF isnt class centric like most rpgs, so for example everyone should carry a 1h and shield because parrying with a shield is probably the best way to save your life in a bad spot or at least buy enough time to figure out something. I am a mage primarily so I choose PA as my weapon but also have 1h and shield and took PA because its reach and arc make it really good for getting a hit in when someone is on you or for finishing someone off, plus the knock back skill can be handy. I also carry a bow because magic makes you glow and if I want to get some surprise damage off I can do it better with a bow and not give away my location right away, plus arrows can be arced into spots a straight line bolt cant. So though most of my actions are magic I slip in other attacks.

DF is a game with incredible options and the trick is to mold a playstyle that always leaves you options so you dont end up in a room with a meleer and have nothing but a staff on you.

Reply #10
Thank you very much for the help, i haven't played any other darkfall series but this one seems to be the most realistic one after darkfall online in 2009 stoped (which i haven't heard of unfortunately or else i would have played it) so i will try and get into this game asap with my friends.

A good example on squirreling guide section "Pattern"

Here's a picture to help you figure it out :)

• Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 09:23:54 pm by Crewe

Reply #11
I have -10 on my alignment now, how much gold do I need to fix it?

Reply #12
I think 2000gp per 2 alignment.

Reply #13
I think 2000gp per 2 alignment.

Thank you, I brought the gold but it keep refusing it. It didnt specify the gold needed. Come back to the altar with 2k gold and it wipe -2 alignment.

So it can be used once per day?

Reply #14
Thank you, I brought the gold but it keep refusing it. It didnt specify the gold needed. Come back to the altar with 2k gold and it wipe -2 alignment.

So it can be used once per day?

Correct. Ill update the guide to include this info