Skip to main content

Topic: Single School Viability (Read 364 times) previous topic - next topic

Single School Viability
@Ub3rgames

Are there any plans on expanding some of the more "utility" schools (arcane, necromancy) to become viable single school choices? I know that you plan on changing the secondary effects of the spells but it doesn't make up for instance having no real R50.
Azmoodeus Barnmere
Garbage Men

Re: Single School Viability
Reply #1
Also you could add Water to that, I know it has an r50 but besides the debuffs on title its literally a shitty version of Air. It does the lowest damage and ok the stam drain is nice but not worth it. Not to mention they took toxic from it and replaces it with nothing.

Also removing the secondary damages from necro and adding like a 2 or 5% life leech is literally useless when the school only has a bolt and an r90 to deal damage on a regular basis.

Reply #2
Also you could add Water to that, I know it has an r50 but besides the debuffs on title its literally a shitty version of Air. It does the lowest damage and ok the stam drain is nice but not worth it. Not to mention they took toxic from it and replaces it with nothing.

Also removing the secondary damages from necro and adding like a 2 or 5% life leech is literally useless when the school only has a bolt and an r90 to deal damage on a regular basis.
Yup I agree. Water is a lackluster version of air.

I'm worried that  necromancy will be even more lackluster with the changes. Replacing secondary damages with a minor lifesteal is probably a nerf when you think about it. Stam/mana drain is vital to a fights outcome and replacing it with like 1-2 heal per spell is laughable.
Azmoodeus Barnmere
Garbage Men

Reply #3
Water could become easily a balanced and nice school with just minor adjustements:
-another (small, like 10-15%) increase in slow debuff power
-the awaited improvements on ice storm to make it a real area blind (i have it at 40ish and the "blind" effect is laughable even with 75 intensify...maybe it gets better at 75+, but until then is quite bad as a field aoe)
-a small increase in the knockup effect of the r50/r90, not to the levels of fire, but at least some more (fireball like?), just to make it useful...as it is now it is just a minor/useless annoyance but doesn't effect movement at all in the end

Reply #4
If displacement effects (knockup) are required to make spells usable, why is nobody mentioning earth? lol

I definitely agree that Water is on the weaker side, and if proposed Necro changes get in - it's going to be pretty shitty. I'd also mention Raw magic as weak. And Earth as ... uninteresting, maybe not necessarily weak.
Wyverex Erisian, SG of Scrubs

Still a member of SaltyBitches™ Club

Reply #5
Water could become easily a balanced and nice school with just minor adjustements:
-another (small, like 10-15%) increase in slow debuff power
-the awaited improvements on ice storm to make it a real area blind (i have it at 40ish and the "blind" effect is laughable even with 75 intensify...maybe it gets better at 75+, but until then is quite bad as a field aoe)
-a small increase in the knockup effect of the r50/r90, not to the levels of fire, but at least some more (fireball like?), just to make it useful...as it is now it is just a minor/useless annoyance but doesn't effect movement at all in the end

Other games added diminishing returns effect, to stop abuse of CC spam. Add more knock up to fire spells but each consecutive knock-up type of spell would reduce the effect on that person and after a few stacks it resets.

Something like 1st fireball knock up 15 yards, 2nd 12 yards, 3rd 9 yards, 4th 6 yards, 5th 3 yards only but resets the diminishing returns resistance on the target.
Add timer as well, each stack lasts until knocked up or timer expires, like 10 seconds, last stacks timer always lasts at least 10 seconds.

Magic would feel great again and not so much abusable as DFO.

One could try to abuse it by pre nerfing their own knockups but that produces sounds, does damage itself and mages still can blind, begone when knock ups don't work.

Reply #6

remove all r50s, game fixed

Reply #7
If displacement effects (knockup) are required to make spells usable, why is nobody mentioning earth? lol

I definitely agree that Water is on the weaker side, and if proposed Necro changes get in - it's going to be pretty shitty. I'd also mention Raw magic as weak. And Earth as ... uninteresting, maybe not necessarily weak.
Well earth has a decent spell rotation with some of the highest projectile speeds. It's an alright school.
Azmoodeus Barnmere
Garbage Men

Reply #8

Earth is so boring, its true. Earth needs more treatment than water.
I dueled him once and was in control first half of the fight and then food buff wore out and not noticing lost, so he did win but hes by no means any better a player than I.

Reply #9

I didn't say they are required, but they are already in the water spells....but their strenght is too low to make them have an impact, so they should just keep the theme of the school and increase the potency a bit to make it useful.

As for earth, i agree that it is another school that could use some love (infact there are very few earth mages out there). Having said that, at least, earth have some of the highest dmging AND faster moving spells in nearly every rank if i remember well, have 2 r90, good buffs and a blind ray (pungent mist). So i think that when they will finally make earthquake work as intended, earth will be in a better shape without need to change much of it.

Reply #10
make main magic school title op with old full effects,full wof full fireball,instant cast pungen for earth, etc.
Dont talk about madatory pick,rofl,Now we have new clones - warriors with 5 leather and 5 heavy parts.
  • Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:36:21 pm by huem vzhopu po pizde

Reply #11
Single school mage best mage. Water is strong 1v1. Real issue is short range magics arent ideal for group v group.