Skip to main content

Topic: Sad story and how to avoid it (Read 452 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Sad story and how to avoid it
Reply #15
@wildNothing you are misunderstanding

What OP saying is you can't instantly logout. You have to wait 2 min for a bar to fill in to logout. During that time you standstill or your logout is interrupted. Similar to how we had recall. Once bar is full you logout safely.

Many times I logout thinking mobs are not hitting me this far away, then next day I find my self dead.  This will avoid this issue.
I understand it exactly like what you described. And my example describes exactly how this mechanic would be abused.

Reply #16
@pellaz it is simple. Let's assume it's implemented. I am at crafting station, valuable stuff on me. I see you entering the system or just hear someone jumping over the walls. It's too late to run to the bank. I press logoff immediately or jump one begone towards any building and then press logoff. Now I wait. If you do not find me I just disappear. If you find me, I fight or flee and repeat. There is no risk any more in pressing logoff. You can always try this to avoid a fight as it only can make your situation better, never worse. Equals more logoffs to avoid a fight actually than we have now.

If someone's able to repeatedly get away far enough to 'hide' and click to begin logging out, and you catch them only to repeat this again and again, you're not very good at chasing. Personally, I see this as a very exceptional case that simply wouldn't be the issue you think it would be. I think that on the balance it's much better to give players control of their log out than not.

I'm glad you accept there's currently 'risk' associated with logging out, which I don't think there should be.
  • Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 03:36:14 pm by pellaz
Did you know you can ignore toxic posters, stopping the forum from showing you the text of their posts? Starving trolls eventually move on. Please don't feed the trolls.

Reply #17
@pellaz it is simple. Let's assume it's implemented. I am at crafting station, valuable stuff on me. I see you entering the system or just hear someone jumping over the walls. It's too late to run to the bank. I press logoff immediately or jump one begone towards any building and then press logoff. Now I wait. If you do not find me I just disappear. If you find me, I fight or flee and repeat. There is no risk any more in pressing logoff. You can always try this to avoid a fight as it only can make your situation better, never worse. Equals more logoffs to avoid a fight actually than we have now.

If someone's able to repeatedly get away far enough to 'hide' and click to begin logging out, and you catch them only to repeat this again and again, you're not very good at chasing. Personally, I see this as a very exceptional case that simply wouldn't be the issue you think it would be. I think that on the balance it's much better to give players control of their log out than not.

I'm glad you accept there's currently 'risk' associated with logging out, which I don't think there should be.
Of course there should be a risk. To prevent tactical logoffs.
And my example is one of many.

Also it is indeed not likely to happen many times in repetition, if you find the guy once it is not likely he will have the opportunity to do it again, but giving one chance of a logoff without any risk before every potential encounter to everyone is a huge problem that makes this suggestion look terrible.

Reply #18
I agree with WildNothing. The tactical log off is guaranted if you put in place ways to monitor your log off.

Player should be aware that if they log off away from a safe spot, there is a risk. They do it consciously. It is part of a game of this nature.

Reply #19

Of course there should be a risk. To prevent tactical logoffs.
And my example is one of many.

Also it is indeed not likely to happen many times in repetition, if you find the guy once it is not likely he will have the opportunity to do it again, but giving one chance of a logoff without any risk before every potential encounter to everyone is a huge problem that makes this suggestion look terrible.

I don't see how someone can repeatedly get far enough way that they think they have the 45-60 seconds to log out only to be stopped when you hit them. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Edit: Would you have a problem with this - countdown counter offered only if you've not been engaged in PVP or PVE for 5 minutes? So if you are in PVP, you need to successfully avoid hits for five minutes before having the option of logging out with the countdown. This means even if you haven't been in PVP/PVE for five minutes, see someone starting to engage, try logging out, that first time you're interrupted you're now unable to log out with the countdown again until you've gone five minutes without a hit.
  • Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 05:10:27 pm by pellaz
Did you know you can ignore toxic posters, stopping the forum from showing you the text of their posts? Starving trolls eventually move on. Please don't feed the trolls.

Reply #20
Current system doesn't help anyone.

The person who log off sees no danger but ends up dead

The person who came for PvP finds a player who is not in control of their char and needs to kill a defenseless player.

In Darkfall a player should be in control of their character if they are killable period.

Reply #21
Im kinda on both sides of this issue since I have to honestly say ive wanted  his same mechanic for a long time, but I also know the reality is in all my years of DF the number of times ive died logging out without any expectation I could die, could be counted on one hand and almost everytime ive died logging out its because I knew I could die but because of rl (just have to log something came up) or to avoid a inescapable unwinnable situation I did anyway.

The current mechanic adds a risk to trying to log out to avoid a fight where if you could watch your channel all that risk is gone because you can just start and stop it again as needed until you get a clean escape where now you roll the dice fully committed to the log and hope for the best.

The reality is if you get killed logging out you were pretty much avoiding a fight irregardless if you knew it or not (and almost all the time people do know it) and if the mechanic was changed we would just see people trying to log out more since they weren't rolling the dice any more.

• SomeBK
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #22
Even Mycke knows what's up. Just find a fucking spot behind a rock, up a tree or in a house and log out. No point trying to even think of developing ways to make the log out process more carebear friendly.
Fair enough ill be there, Actually can we do it Thurs
(ive been lugging boxes of books all morning from a collection I bought and a little beat)