Skip to main content

Topic: Sad story and how to avoid it (Read 453 times) previous topic - next topic

Sad story and how to avoid it
Hello,

Today, i come back  in discord and hear mates telling me they found a tombstone of mine. Well, taht could be not surprisng, except that i usually go clear my tombstone after death.
So .... what happened ?

After checking the journal, it seems that after that i loged off normaly , using the quit button, someone (no need for the name here) killed me.
WTF ?!

That made me think : why isn't there a loging bar for your normal disconnection, to ensure that when you quit the game, nothing happens to your character when you don't have any chance to react ? It's usually the case in many MMORPG to avoid pve incidents, but here a delay of <according to your state at the time when you click> seconds on quit would allow you to interrupt your log-off and react if needed, and prevent any abuse to log off to avoid a fight (which was an issue at the beginning of the original game)

Really, there is nothing worse (and worth) in a pvp full loot game than dying offline.
In case you ask yourself why ashes are the main reagent for arcane magic : arcane magic is especially efficient against undead monsters.
So it's Ash vs Evil Dead !

Re: Sad story and how to avoid it
Reply #1
cool story bro

• SomeBK
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Always log off in a safe area in a full loot open world pvp game?
Fair enough ill be there, Actually can we do it Thurs
(ive been lugging boxes of books all morning from a collection I bought and a little beat)

Reply #3
character go off after 30-40 sec. Later your character will not go off totally, if he will hold something special, like siege equipment or so

Reply #4
character go off after 30-40 sec. Later your character will not go off totally, if he will hold something special, like siege equipment or so

also if you get hit during the 30-40sec the timer goes up to 60sec iirc

Reply #5
Always log off in a safe area in a full loot open world pvp game?

Real life sometimes means you need to log off unexpectedly, maybe you just lost track of time and realise it's time to call it a night, or perhaps you spent some time getting to a particular area and want to start there when you log back in. There are any number of reasons why you may not be in a reasonably safe area when you decide to log out, and for some of these you're able to change your mind if you find yourself being attacked during the countdown.

Having the option to stay logged in and responsive or to log out immediately and leave your character in world during the countdown is something that should be available in an open world pvp game. I'm actually surprised to learn it isn't! (I've been lucky, apparently.)

This deserves to be in the 'suggestions' forum.
  • Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 03:12:47 pm by pellaz
Did you know you can ignore toxic posters, stopping the forum from showing you the text of their posts? Starving trolls eventually move on. Please don't feed the trolls.

Reply #6
but here a delay of <according to your state at the time when you click> seconds on quit would allow you to interrupt your log-off and react if needed, and prevent any abuse to log off to avoid a fight (which was an issue at the beginning of the original game)
I'm sorry, maybe I do not understand something but for me it looks like your suggestion is tailored for people that would like to log off to avoid fights. With your suggestion I would be able to try to log off repeatedly, if interrupted or in danger I would continue to run away and then try to hide and log off again, till I finally succeeded and disappeared immediately.

Reply #7
@pellaz
this is a full loot game

all full loot games that have been recently released leave your character logged in. people are used to this.
imo you shouldnt be able log out with loot in ur bag full stop. its forever being abused by alts.

log out in a safe place. simple.
I dueled him once and was in control first half of the fight and then food buff wore out and not noticing lost, so he did win but hes by no means any better a player than I.

• SomeBK
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
I just feel people like to over complicate things rather than just adapt. Maybe it's because I played DFO back when there were tens of thousands playing but I still found myself even in New Dawn taking the same measures when finding a safe place to log out or go afk in
Fair enough ill be there, Actually can we do it Thurs
(ive been lugging boxes of books all morning from a collection I bought and a little beat)

Reply #9
Thankfully, most things in darkfall are easy to replace. This is a mechanic done to counter dungeon loggers. They could make a 40second log out timer.

Reply #10
I'm sorry, maybe I do not understand something but for me it looks like your suggestion is tailored for people that would like to log off to avoid fights. With your suggestion I would be able to try to log off repeatedly, if interrupted or in danger I would continue to run away and then try to hide and log off again, till I finally succeeded and disappeared immediately.

Well, i'm sorry that you don't understand something, but it's definitely not to avoid a fight : just like maximiliuss said after, it can be precisely like when loging inside a dungeon : you have a bar, you have to wait for it to be filled, and you still can move if you feel endangered but this breaks the loging.
Same thing for log off : how do you avoid a fight when you have to be static and waiting ?
Plus, i precised "with a delay <according to your state at the time when you click>" (when you clik on QUIT of course), which refer to the 30-40 sec as Unkownmantra said, and which can be increased further if damage is taken.

So if you can avoid a fight by waiting 30-40 sec doing nothing, you could certainly avoid the fight by playing too. It's not the point.
Add a big noise and lights like with Beacon spell if you feel it's not enough (to avoid sneaky log off during a fight in some lost corner) i don't mind.
The point is : i want my character to be actually not loged when my game is shut down using the QUIT button, and not having a bad surprise because the game shut down but my character is still on and vulnerable. There must be a way to have this without removing the timers that avoid alt F4 or other similar wild disconnection that were used to abusively avoid fights in old DFO times.
In case you ask yourself why ashes are the main reagent for arcane magic : arcane magic is especially efficient against undead monsters.
So it's Ash vs Evil Dead !

Reply #11

Well, i'm sorry that you don't understand something, but it's definitely not to avoid a fight : just like maximiliuss said after, it can be precisely like when loging inside a dungeon : you have a bar, you have to wait for it to be filled, and you still can move if you feel endangered but this breaks the loging.
Same thing for log off : how do you avoid a fight when you have to be static and waiting ?
Plus, i precised "with a delay <according to your state at the time when you click>" (when you clik on QUIT of course), which refer to the 30-40 sec as Unkownmantra said, and which can be increased further if damage is taken.
So it would be exactly like what I described - a way to control your log off when you log off to avoid a fight.

Now people that do it die if someone finds them before their character disappears, you would give them a chance to fight or run if the attempt at log off to avoid a fight is unsuccessful.
  • Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 10:56:34 am by wildNothing

Reply #12

So it would be exactly like what I described - a way to control your log off when you log off to avoid a fight.

Now people that do it die if someone finds them before their character disappears, you just want to give them a chance to fight or run if the attempt at log off to avoid a fight is unsuccessful.

I'm not sure I follow your concern. My feeling is this has nothing to do with someone logging out wanting to avoid a fight and everything to do with this person wanting to participate in a fight that starts in the middle of their log out. I can't see how the current system helps anyone except those poor players who get off on one-sided pvp such as attacking those who aren't even able to defend themselves.

I'm having trouble understanding how a player staying in control and able to cancel the log out during this countdown can be abused by said player?

How about this if it helps - if you choose to stay logged in during the countdown rather than logging out immediately and leaving the character vulnerable, double the time it takes to log out.
Did you know you can ignore toxic posters, stopping the forum from showing you the text of their posts? Starving trolls eventually move on. Please don't feed the trolls.

Reply #13
@pellaz it is simple. Let's assume it's implemented. I am at crafting station, valuable stuff on me. I see you entering the system or just hear someone jumping over the walls. It's too late to run to the bank. I press logoff immediately or jump one begone towards any building and then press logoff. Now I wait. If you do not find me I just disappear. If you find me, I fight or flee and repeat. There is no risk any more in pressing logoff. You can always try this to avoid a fight as it only can make your situation better, never worse. Equals more logoffs to avoid a fight actually than we have now.

Reply #14
@wildNothing you are misunderstanding

What OP saying is you can't instantly logout. You have to wait 2 min for a bar to fill in to logout. During that time you standstill or your logout is interrupted. Similar to how we had recall. Once bar is full you logout safely.

Many times I logout thinking mobs are not hitting me this far away, then next day I find my self dead.  This will avoid this issue.