Skip to main content

Topic: Mages have too much movement/utility without sacrificing damage output (Read 799 times) previous topic - next topic

Mages have too much movement/utility without sacrificing damage output
Mages have begone+launch+unmissable eyerot+stormblast+multiple knockups, all designed to get out of melee range with cooldowns low enough to permanently cycle through them, all in the same spellschools as the best damage spells

Melees have seize and nothing else, archery is irrelevant when mages can escape whenever they want

Re: Mages have too much movement/utility without sacrificing damage output
Reply #1
play a mage then u shitter
I dueled him once and was in control first half of the fight and then food buff wore out and not noticing lost, so he did win but hes by no means any better a player than I.

Reply #2
If a melee is sticky backing or close to the mage who begones they go with them so they dont really escape.

Launch has a pretty long cast time and if you go pretty high so you can shoot them when they are mid air.

Eye rot is a title spell and the damage is missable so is the vision distortion but thats harder to miss.

Stormblast barely does anything until its like level 100 with a good staff, its also a title spell with 1min CD.

Theres like 3 spells that knock up;

Fireball - doesnt really knock that high if in heavy gear, and if you're pushing towards the mage sometime it makes you go towards them.
Lightning strike - small float and doesnt work very well if they direct hit you with it.
Magma - Title spell low damage long cast time but knocks pretty high.

If you're using the escape spells on cool down  you're fucking your HP / Stam over since you take a pretty big stam hit per Bhop.

If you play melee you should use archery at range to pressure them while closing ground.

After seeing your recent post history it seems instead of trying to play better or find a way to beat a mage you just cry for everything to be nerfed while buffing melee. Doesn't make sense theres plenty of melee players who are more lethal then any mage in a team fight. If you block with a shield a mage literally cant do anything to you.
  • Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 05:03:14 pm by SmallHands

Reply #3
Thank you, we really needed another thread about the same from you:
https://forums.darkfallnewdawn.com/index.php/topic,9809.0.html

Now that you changed the title of the thread i am sure the feedback will be different :-)

Reply #4
If a melee is sticky backing or close to the mage who begones they go with them so they dont really escape.
thats why u cast begone on the enemy and not on the ground
Launch has a pretty long cast time and if you go pretty high so you can shoot them when they are mid air.
1 shot and then they are already too far while healing up and you have no way of catching them
Eye rot is a title spell and the damage is missable so is the vision distortion but thats harder to miss.
everyone has necro title just because of eyerot
Stormblast barely does anything until its like level 100 with a good staff, its also a title spell with 1min CD.
not good to balance around having spell at lvl1 with dawnstaff, mage gear is free anyway, 1min cd is nothing when you have other escape spells
Theres like 3 spells that knock up;

Fireball - doesnt really knock that high if in heavy gear, and if you're pushing towards the mage sometime it makes you go towards them.
Lightning strike - small float and doesnt work very well if they direct hit you with it.
Magma - Title spell low damage long cast time but knocks pretty high.
nobody uses heavy gear because spells drain a shitload of stamina + can only melee aka useless + infliction/necro counter
If you're using the escape spells on cool down  you're fucking your HP / Stam over since you take a pretty big stam hit per Bhop.
irrelevant when you are already 300m from enemy and can mount up or heal to full while autorunning straight because you have full stamina and melee enemy will never catch you without a mount ("LOL JUST CARRY 10 MOUNTS!!!!")
If you play melee you should use archery at range to pressure them while closing ground.
If you block with a shield a mage literally cant do anything to you.
so which one is it? both at the same time? hmm

Reply #5
Clearly you don't do both at the same time moron. Block = no damage taken = no die  = can close ground but do no damage.
Archery = damage taken but also out putting damage.

"thats why u cast begone on the enemy and not on the ground" Ofc then the enemy mage is in the same place and one of your team can kill him. Also you can avoid a begone cast on you like that pretty easy and if you don;t then you bad.

"everyone has necro title just because of eyerot" No they dont.

Other stuff i cba to reply to because it seems like you don't pvp or if you do you run in with a Gsword out and die.

Reply #6
Clearly you don't do both at the same time moron. Block = no damage taken = no die  = can close ground but do no damage.

"thats why u cast begone on the enemy and not on the ground" Ofc then the enemy mage is in the same place and one of your team can kill him. Also you can avoid a begone cast on you like that pretty easy and if you don;t then you bad.

Other stuff i cba to reply to because it seems like you don't pvp or if you do you run in with a Gsword out and die.

mage misses begone -> its ok still got eyerot/launch/other shit while keeping the same distance by bhopping while casting shit and dealing damage

you cant balance the game around group vs group, if mages auto-win every 1v1 against non-mages then its obviously broken

Reply #7
You're simply bad at pvp and it's time to accept it (doesn't mean I'm a pro). Mage is only stronger at lower skill tiers (cause aoe). The higher the skill of the players, the stronger the physical playstyle. If you buff physicals, higher tier mages will lose every time to high tier physicals.

-You can dodge every begone.
-You can dodge every eye rot.
-Launch & stormblast are death traps.
-And knock ups aren't an issue to a physical that's closing distance.
-You underestimate the damage for bunnyhopping.

p.s. Heavy gear is the best if you know what to do with it. You obviously don't. Most of our best players play with heavy gear. I guarrantee there aren't many (if any) mages around that can beat them.

Dunnin Dainstaff - TTD

Reply #8

mage misses begone -> its ok still got eyerot/launch/other shit while keeping the same distance by bhopping while casting shit and dealing damage

you cant balance the game around group vs group, if mages auto-win every 1v1 against non-mages then its obviously broken

Mages don't win every 1v1 lol. I've seen melee ARCHERS beat mages in duels and its not that uncommon.. Do you even use archery btw you never answer that it seems like you only play melee, like no bow.

You cant base an MMO balance on 1v1s when its supposed to be group play???

Reply #9
Have you EVER tried to use launch in pvp? with its cast time being that long you are basically tell them "ok guys kill me".
Bunnyhopping will also kill yourself due to fall damage. With a good begone/launch and a single hop, you are hitting yourself for 80 dmg...2 hops? 80+80.

P.s: btw, if launch is so strong, you know that it is largely unaffected by encumberance so you can use it too to bunnyhop just like the OP mage, do you? i bet you don't, or don't bother to use it and just cry because you lose.

Reply #10
Have you EVER tried to use launch in pvp? with its cast time being that long you are basically tell them "ok guys kill me".
Bunnyhopping will also kill yourself due to fall damage. With a good begone/launch and a single hop, you are hitting yourself for 80 dmg...2 hops? 80+80.

P.s: btw, if launch is so strong, you know that it is largely unaffected by encumberance so you can use it too to bunnyhop just like the OP mage, do you? i bet you don't, or don't bother to use it and just cry because you lose.

no fall damage if you bhop uphill even if its just a 10 degree slope

launch cast time is still affected by encumberance and yes the power isnt as much but mages still fly further, then mages go out of los to heal and/or mount up and you cant do anything about it

its been like this since DF1 launch but seems like devs haven't learned anything

Reply #11
leather clones must be knocked up same as naked...fix pls

Reply #12

launch cast time is still affected by encumberance and yes the power isnt as much but mages still fly further, then mages go out of los to heal and/or mount up and you cant do anything about it

its been like this since DF1 launch but seems like devs haven't learned anything

Your problem is not with mages it's with bunny hopping

Reply #13
Yesterday we come to Horde city as mages, they was in heavy. And we dies like in few minutes. Main reason - mages dont have any benefits in enclosed spaces. On open space mages can do shitload AOE and nukes, but in small closed area melee and bow will win. So, need some tactic for different gear/setup and this is very nice.

You can impose a style of combat on the opponent, for example, get him into the city, and not fight with him in the open field, if you have more people in heavy armor. How did the guys from this video.
https://youtu.be/dWQpjl1VEV4?t=75

As for me - melee skill to strong depend on your ping. I could not hit in back with 80 ping, but with 65 ping i do that nice. That sad, but we cant nothing to do with this.
Dolly Monk

Reply #14
Bunnyhopping uphill will not get you any far away from the enemy, though....so you either bunnyhop on plain/downhill AND get fall dmg or you do it uphill, don't get fall damage BUT you don't get away

launch cast time is still affected by encumberance and yes the power isnt as much but mages still fly further
Ever heard about unburden? look...it is under cantrips....you have it too....learn to use it instead of crying because you don't use all the tools at your disposal.
I've been traveling with teammates in studdeds and studded/heavy armors and, just by unburdening+begoning/launch they can pretty much keep up with me in bone for quite a long time (surely more than enough to chase me and kill me if i was an opponent....well unless you completely suck at archery, but that's another problem)

then mages go out of los to heal and/or mount up and you cant do anything about it
While they are out of los, heal up too...and what blocks you from mounting up too and chasing them? You will have better stam regen due to medium armor, so in the end he will end stamina faster than you

Too bad they completely reworked launch since DF1....oh, wait, they even reworked bunnyhopping so that now you'll basically kill yourself if you bunnyhop...

As many others have already said: melee/archers can kill mages fine, if you know how to play....if you don't, well cry on the forums for nerfs :D